CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
queenlizzie13

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 7:46 pm

chrisbru wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Withdrawing from the waitlist... I'm sad to not be going to school in CO, but my full-tuition offer from Iowa makes it much more bearable :-)

Mixed feelings here Chris, but they mainly lean towards... congratulations!!

Thanks!

I'll still be heading to Summit County at least twice a year to snowboard, so I'll look some of you up to see if you wanna join :-)

Just hit us up on TLS, chrisbru and we will see if we can join you at the slopes. Anyways congrats on the full tuition scholarship at Iowa. That is awesome!

krad

Postby krad » Fri Feb 11, 2011 8:12 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
chrisbru wrote:Withdrawing from the waitlist... I'm sad to not be going to school in CO, but my full-tuition offer from Iowa makes it much more bearable :-)

Mixed feelings here Chris, but they mainly lean towards... congratulations!!

Ditto! Way to go Chris :) if I'm still in CO next winter I am more than down to ride with ya!

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 10:58 pm

Looks like I'll be headed to the March 4 open house!

I read a couple others were doing the April ASD...anyone else coming in March? Hopefully we can hit up a few of the local bars and meet any other current CU TLSers. It'll be my first ASD and I'm pretty excited.

upfish

Postby upfish » Fri Feb 11, 2011 11:57 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Looks like I'll be headed to the March 4 open house!

I read a couple others were doing the April ASD...anyone else coming in March? Hopefully we can hit up a few of the local bars and meet any other current CU TLSers. It'll be my first ASD and I'm pretty excited.

Lots of us are coming in March. =) We moved ASD talk to the admitted thread: viewtopic.php?f=28&t=144862&start=75

That keeps the excitement about this thread getting bumped about admissions rather than the ASD. =)

Oh, and btw guys, CU granted me a travel stipend today, so they are available according to some magical metric that I can't discern. maybe FAFSA results?

jdemmitt

Postby jdemmitt » Sat Feb 12, 2011 12:29 am

Waitlisted today, 163 and 3.62 out of state. Oh well.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:15 pm

jdemmitt wrote:Waitlisted today, 163 and 3.62 out of state. Oh well.

This doesn't bode well for me at all... Oh well I wasn't seriously considering Boulder anyways.

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Sun Feb 13, 2011 12:33 pm

upfish wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:Looks like I'll be headed to the March 4 open house!

Lots of us are coming in March. =) We moved ASD talk to the admitted thread: http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 2&start=75

That keeps the excitement about this thread getting bumped about admissions rather than the ASD. =)

Oh, and btw guys, CU granted me a travel stipend today, so they are available according to some magical metric that I can't discern. maybe FAFSA results?

Travel stipend!? :shock: That's the only way I'll be able to attend any ASD. Who did you talk to, to get the stipend?

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 3:26 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:Travel stipend!? :shock: That's the only way I'll be able to attend any ASD. Who did you talk to, to get the stipend?

I think her name was Kristine Jackson. I actually didn't hear back until the next day because they said they had to check some stuff out first, but I'm not really sure what that meant (maybe a quick review of my app to see if I was worth the $?). I ended up with $200...not enough to cover the airfare but pretty close.

I do find it strange that someone who requested the stipend before me got denied. There's clearly some criteria they use to determine who gets it.

upfish

Postby upfish » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:25 pm

SherlockHolmes wrote:
Travel stipend!? :shock: That's the only way I'll be able to attend any ASD. Who did you talk to, to get the stipend?

Kaitlyn Robertson. I responded to her diversity weekend email with the request. She was really helpful.

krad

Postby krad » Sun Feb 13, 2011 8:35 pm

Just FYI y'all: today it was 66 degrees in Denver and I got a little sunburn drinking mimosas by our pool... In mid February. Gotta <3333 Colorado! CU where is my letter???

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 9:07 pm

krad wrote:Just FYI y'all: today it was 66 degrees in Denver and I got a little sunburn drinking mimosas by our pool... In mid February. Gotta <3333 Colorado! CU where is my letter???

eh, just sit on it. You know you're in with those #'s. Your in-state status makes up for your slightly lower #'s. If only I could get in as an OOS.

krad

Postby krad » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:27 pm

typ3 wrote:
krad wrote:Just FYI y'all: today it was 66 degrees in Denver and I got a little sunburn drinking mimosas by our pool... In mid February. Gotta <3333 Colorado! CU where is my letter???

eh, just sit on it. You know you're in with those #'s. Your in-state status makes up for your slightly lower #'s. If only I could get in as an OOS.

I'd guess with your #'s you're a shoo in! Good luck regardless :)

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:42 pm

krad wrote:
typ3 wrote:

I'd guess with your #'s you're a shoo in! Good luck regardless :)

Hopefully, but I submitted way late this cycle. It may hurt my chances at $ at a few places other than CU. If I go to DU or CU we'll have to hit the slopes sometime. I have been scouring the internet salivating about going to a school in Colorado so I can splurge on some pow skis.

If anyone wants to get a back country cat tour sometime :wink: It's on my bucket list.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Sun Feb 13, 2011 11:45 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:
SherlockHolmes wrote:Travel stipend!? :shock: That's the only way I'll be able to attend any ASD. Who did you talk to, to get the stipend?

I think her name was Kristine Jackson. I actually didn't hear back until the next day because they said they had to check some stuff out first, but I'm not really sure what that meant (maybe a quick review of my app to see if I was worth the $?). I ended up with $200...not enough to cover the airfare but pretty close.

I do find it strange that someone who requested the stipend before me got denied. There's clearly some criteria they use to determine who gets it.

Generally candidates above their median will get a stipend. Also those who are likely scholarship or diversity locks will get a stipend since the school is trying to woo them regardless.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:36 am

typ3 wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:

Generally candidates above their median will get a stipend. Also those who are likely scholarship or diversity locks will get a stipend since the school is trying to woo them regardless.

Now this is really blowing my mind. I was one that requested a stipend and got denied.

Numbers are 168 / 3.5

SherlockHolmes

Postby SherlockHolmes » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:45 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:
typ3 wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:

Now this is really blowing my mind. I was one that requested a stipend and got denied.

Numbers are 168 / 3.5

Well I'm emailing Kaitlyn Robertson today, so I'll let everyone know how it goes.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:48 am

I sent an email to the admissions email account and got a reply from her. Let us know how it goes, thanks.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:51 am

Good luck getting stipends yall! I hope everyone can come visit CO :)

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:53 pm

CU responded to that guy's facebook post, apparently they give out close to 5 full tuition scholarships each year. Interesting.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:02 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:CU responded to that guy's facebook post, apparently they give out close to 5 full tuition scholarships each year. Interesting.

me, me, me, me!!
:wink:

also, i emailed this morning about a travel stipend but no reply yet. i'll keep y'all posted.

krad

Postby krad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:03 pm

^ hahaha I was just going to say, if there were a like button on TLS, I'd be hitting it right about now with regards to that post!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:05 pm

oldhippie wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:CU responded to that guy's facebook post, apparently they give out close to 5 full tuition scholarships each year. Interesting.

me, me, me, me!!
:wink:

also, i emailed this morning about a travel stipend but no reply yet. i'll keep y'all posted.

Ask where our scholarships are too, please. :wink:

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:06 pm

I already RSVP'd for the open house last week before all of the talk of people receiving stipends. Now I figure they wouldn't give me one since they already know I'm coming. Oh well.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 8:58 pm

Anyone know anything about leveraging CU for scholarships? I would really like to attend, but I would hate to turn down a nearly full at Minnesota for CU. My debt burden at UofM is looking like it will be around $20k overall. CU is obviously much higher with no scholarship $.

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Tue Feb 15, 2011 1:19 pm

typ3 wrote:Anyone know anything about leveraging CU for scholarships? I would really like to attend, but I would hate to turn down a nearly full at Minnesota for CU. My debt burden at UofM is looking like it will be around $20k overall. CU is obviously much higher with no scholarship $.

If you got that much at UMN, you should get some $$ from CU too. Keep in mind that in-state tuition at CU is a piece of cake to get for 2L/3L, and nearly impossible at UMN.

Oh, and CU doesn't force you to buy an overpriced crappy laptop. So that's another $1500 saved :-)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”