CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LeDique

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby LeDique » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:12 am

oldhippie wrote:that's nice to hear, there's another thread out there that makes it seem like some of the younguns are none too excited about us fogies in their classes :)
but i pride myself on my immaturity so i should fit right in :wink:

Maybe I ought to switch to the April ASD just to make you feel old, since I'm so young. :wink:

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:15 am

LeDique wrote:
oldhippie wrote:that's nice to hear, there's another thread out there that makes it seem like some of the younguns are none too excited about us fogies in their classes :)
but i pride myself on my immaturity so i should fit right in :wink:

Maybe I ought to switch to the April ASD just to make you feel old, since I'm so young. :wink:

:lol: :lol:

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:18 am

Was there ever a consensus on a possible travel stipend? I seem to remember someone several pages back getting mention of it in an email but it was only that person. Has anyone tried emailing admissions to ask for one? I emailed yesterday but it was towards the end of the day; no reply yet. I would be coming from NC but my sister lives in Denver, so a couple hundo would make the trip practically free.

I went by the law school when I was at her house over Christmas just to check out the building and campus but, if a stipend were offered, I would go back to hear all they had to say and see the inside. I did take a couple (not super quality) cell phone pics of the outside when I went if anyone is interested in seeing.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:24 am

i don't know that anyone has called and asked yet - i haven't heard anyway. i'd be oh-so-very happy for some $ to help make the trip.

btw, am i crazy or is your 'tar roy williams?

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:31 am

Yep it's Roy.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:34 am

i can't believe i never noticed that! i imagine that's how he looked after the game last night :( they rocked the first half but geez.....

ok, i'll stop derailing now, got distracted by roy :D

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:44 am

scruffs mcguff wrote:Was there ever a consensus on a possible travel stipend? I seem to remember someone several pages back getting mention of it in an email but it was only that person. Has anyone tried emailing admissions to ask for one? I emailed yesterday but it was towards the end of the day; no reply yet. I would be coming from NC but my sister lives in Denver, so a couple hundo would make the trip practically free.

I went by the law school when I was at her house over Christmas just to check out the building and campus but, if a stipend were offered, I would go back to hear all they had to say and see the inside. I did take a couple (not super quality) cell phone pics of the outside when I went if anyone is interested in seeing.

I'm still waiting to hear back from them. Expecting a response today since it's the deadline for registering for the diversity events.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:56 am

Welp just got a reply to my stipend request:

"Unfortunately, I cannot offer you a travel stipend. We do hope that you can attend the Open House. If you cannot, please let me know and I would be happy to put you in touch with a member of our faculty and current student so that you can hear their perspectives on the JD program at Colorado Law.

We appreciate your interest in our program and look forward to hearing from you."

They also spelled my name wrong. So, yeah.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:14 pm

Email I just got:
"I suggest business casual attire for the Open House and the brunch. Please bring casual clothes for all other times if you prefer."

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 pm

scruffs mcguff wrote:Welp just got a reply to my stipend request:

"Unfortunately, I cannot offer you a travel stipend. We do hope that you can attend the Open House. If you cannot, please let me know and I would be happy to put you in touch with a member of our faculty and current student so that you can hear their perspectives on the JD program at Colorado Law.

We appreciate your interest in our program and look forward to hearing from you."

They also spelled my name wrong. So, yeah.

Still no email for me, right or wrong spelling of my name. =(

Can you make it w/o a stipend?

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Email I just got:
"I suggest business casual attire for the Open House and the brunch. Please bring casual clothes for all other times if you prefer."

Got it. Any ideas on how cold it will be then? I might need to invest in some biz cazh sweaters.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:33 pm

upfish wrote:Still no email for me, right or wrong spelling of my name. =(

Can you make it w/o a stipend?

Likely not. I just can't afford it right now. Already going to Boston and St. Louis in the coming weeks and don't want credit card debt before school. But I guess it really wouldn't matter once I'm taking on even more debt. I don't know, it's just something I'd like to not have to worry about... using loans to pay off other loans. I was really hoping for something though. Makes me wonder if they even offer them and, if they do, what is their criteria? Thought I had pretty good numbers to warrant some help. Got some thinking to do.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:45 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Email I just got:

Got it. Any ideas on how cold it will be then? I might need to invest in some biz cazh sweaters.

Impossible to tell what Colorado's weather will be like. March and April are our snowiest months (for the front range), but the the temperature isn't solidly cold. About mid-March is when we start getting really, really nice days (upper 60's and sunny), followed immediately by really cold days and 6 to 9 inches of snow. Sometimes, this swing can be on the same day.

So, yeah, bring a sweater. But bring some short sleeves too. Maybe a jacket. And gloves.

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:51 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:Impossible to tell what Colorado's weather will be like. March and April are our snowiest months (for the front range), but the the temperature isn't solidly cold. About mid-March is when we start getting really, really nice days (upper 60's and sunny), followed immediately by really cold days and 6 to 9 inches of snow. Sometimes, this swing can be on the same day.

So, yeah, bring a sweater. But bring some short sleeves too. Maybe a jacket. And gloves.

So CO is basically OK but with snow and mountains. I can deal with that!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:58 pm

upfish wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:Impossible to tell what Colorado's weather will be like. March and April are our snowiest months (for the front range), but the the temperature isn't solidly cold. About mid-March is when we start getting really, really nice days (upper 60's and sunny), followed immediately by really cold days and 6 to 9 inches of snow. Sometimes, this swing can be on the same day.

Pretty much. We also have indoor plumbing.

(Zing!)

upfish

Postby upfish » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:07 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
upfish wrote:

(Zing!)

I guess at least it wasn't a cowboys and Indians joke. :roll: :lol:

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:14 pm

upfish wrote:
upfish wrote:

(Zing!)I guess at least it wasn't a cowboys and Indians joke. :roll: :lol:

Nah, we get a lot of those here as well. I stick with the theme of "all other western states are full of hillbillies."
Last edited by fundamentallybroken on Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:17 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:I stick with the them of "all other western states are full of hillbillies."

A common theme in Colorado.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:18 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:I stick with the them of "all other western states are full of hillbillies."

A common theme in Colorado.

Of course, I can't even spell theme right, so that says something I'm sure...

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:07 pm

Question for pufer:
I read in last years thread that cu has differential tuition rates for 1Ls and 2Ls/3Ls where first year is a higher rate, is this true? If so, what is the current tuition for non 1Ls? I couldn't find this info on the cu site, so it'd be great if you had a link to share.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:38 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Question for pufer:
I read in last years thread that cu has differential tuition rates for 1Ls and 2Ls/3Ls where first year is a higher rate, is this true? If so, what is the current tuition for non 1Ls? I couldn't find this info on the cu site, so it'd be great if you had a link to share.

I finally found the answer to my question. It looks like tuition goes down by about $1000 after each year for resident tuition, so first year is about 13,500, next year is 12,000, then the third year is 11,000 for residents. For non residents it looks like 16, 000 each year unless you gain residency.

Use the links at this page for the info:
http://www.colorado.edu/bursar/now/tuitfeebill.html

Edit: those tuition figures are actually per semester not per year. So it's about 2k cheaper each year.
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:45 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

I finally found the answer to my question. It looks like tuition goes down by about $1000 after each year for resident tuition, so first year is about 13,500, next year is 12,000, then the third year is 11,000 for residents. For non residents it looks like 16, 000 each year unless you gain residency.

Careful - that's per semester!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:50 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

Careful - that's per semester!

Oh damn, good catch! So per year it's about 2k cheaper then and about a 4k total savings.

JakeL

Postby JakeL » Thu Feb 10, 2011 4:57 pm

Anyone sniffed out some scholly money yet?!?

krad

Postby krad » Thu Feb 10, 2011 5:29 pm

JakeL wrote:Anyone sniffed out some scholly money yet?!?

Maybe they're waiting to send my decision along with some money :mrgreen: But, probably not...

I don't think anyone's heard about scholly $.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”