CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
stlisforlovers

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby stlisforlovers » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:16 pm

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:I have no qualms about posting what the fbook post says:

I'm a little confused by conflicting information I've received regarding grants and scholarships, etc. I spoke to someone in admissions recently, and explained that all things being equal I'd rather study and practice law in the West, as opposed to the East or Midwest. I've been offered very nearly a full tuition ride from IU Maurer, as well as better than 50% tuition from several other schools farther to the east, but higher-ranked than CU. So here's the rub: the admissions person told me that CU's policy is to not offer "full rides" to anyone, but the stats at US News say that 13 percent of admitted students are offered grants of full tuition, and 8% are offered grants of more than full tuition. Somebody's got to be giving false information. Hands-down I'd rather live in the West, and I'm willing to turn down offers from more prestigious schools. But, given the horrid legal job market, I can't just ignore such significant financial incentives based on a geographic preference. In the meantime, I'm still waiting for word on any financial aid from CU, which it seems will proably be smaller than what I've already been offered from other schools. Still, I'm hoping . . .

This is the part that bothers me. It comes across like the adcomms are conspiring against him.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:19 pm

In all honesty it isn't half as bad as the things you can read on TLS. The only thing that makes it bad is where it was written and the fact that he's lost the cloak of anonymity that you get from places like TLS. Also I didn't get the impression he/she was addressing anyone at CU Boulder, so he/she (didn't see who wrote it) must have been talking to "us."

chrisbru

Postby chrisbru » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:19 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Can we trade him for krad and chrisbru???

YESSSSSPLEASSSEEE!!!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:21 pm

+ 1000000000000
i mean, really, shouldn't we have a say in our future classmates??? :mrgreen:

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:32 pm

Just received a waitlist today, dated February 4th. Congrats to all of the admits! Going to go knock out my LOCI!

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 pm

buchy2009 wrote:Just received a waitlist today, dated February 4th. Congrats to all of the admits! Going to go knock out my LOCI!

The longer it takes to hear anything, the more certain I am this will be my fate as well.

Oh well, good luck with the LOCI!

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:12 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:I have no qualms about posting what the fbook post says:

I'm a little confused by conflicting information I've received regarding grants and scholarships, etc. I spoke to someone in admissions recently, and explained that all things being equal I'd rather study and practice law in the West, as opposed to the East or Midwest. I've been offered very nearly a full tuition ride from IU Maurer, as well as better than 50% tuition from several other schools farther to the east, but higher-ranked than CU. So here's the rub: the admissions person told me that CU's policy is to not offer "full rides" to anyone, but the stats at US News say that 13 percent of admitted students are offered grants of full tuition, and 8% are offered grants of more than full tuition. Somebody's got to be giving false information. Hands-down I'd rather live in the West, and I'm willing to turn down offers from more prestigious schools. But, given the horrid legal job market, I can't just ignore such significant financial incentives based on a geographic preference. In the meantime, I'm still waiting for word on any financial aid from CU, which it seems will proably be smaller than what I've already been offered from other schools. Still, I'm hoping . . .

This is the part that bothers me. It comes across like the adcomms are conspiring against him.

Agreed. The rest seems pretty normal. Almost all the schools I have been accepted to have either explicitly stated or hinted at that sending in competing offers would be benefit them in deciding how much merit aid to grant. Although I question is decision to post it on a forum/facebook (*dont know where that was posted) rather then take it up with the adcomms either by another phone call or an email.
Last edited by ArchRoark on Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.

typ3

Postby typ3 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:13 pm

buchy2009 wrote:Just received a waitlist today, dated February 4th. Congrats to all of the admits! Going to go knock out my LOCI!

What were your stats? And with as long of a list as you have of schools you app'd you I wouldn't be surprised by your WL. Send em a loci and let them know you aren't just blanketing them.

scruffs mcguff

Postby scruffs mcguff » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:49 pm

ptblazer wrote:In all honesty it isn't half as bad as the things you can read on TLS. The only thing that makes it bad is where it was written and the fact that he's lost the cloak of anonymity that you get from places like TLS. Also I didn't get the impression he/she was addressing anyone at CU Boulder, so he/she (didn't see who wrote it) must have been talking to "us."

+1

Not a bad thing to post on TLS or even the email to admissions or fin aid office. But to post it on the FB page? Gonna have to say nay-no.

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:14 pm

chrisbru wrote:

YESSSSSPLEASSSEEE!!!

<3

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:40 pm

So, are we meeting up for drinks or food or anything like that Friday night? I'll be in town Thursday as well, and I'll be hanging with my DU 1L friend. He might be willing to come along and offer advice on DU as well, depending on his study schedule.

Also, should we move ASD talk to the admitted students thread oldhippie created? I feel like we're cluttering things for people who haven't heard yet. =( I know when I was waiting on a decision, I got super excited about every new thread post.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:43 pm

upfish wrote:So, are we meeting up for drinks or food or anything like that Friday night? I'll be in town Thursday as well, and I'll be hanging with my DU 1L friend. He might be willing to come along and offer advice on DU as well, depending on his study schedule.

Also, should we move ASD talk to the admitted students thread oldhippie created? I feel like we're cluttering things for people who haven't heard yet. =( I know when I was waiting on a decision, I got super excited about every new thread post.

that would probably be kinder to those who are waiting, my heart jumped when i saw new posts on here for a long time!

and i'm so jealous that i don't get to play at march ASD!!! :(

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:44 pm

upfish wrote:So, are we meeting up for drinks or food or anything like that Friday night? I'll be in town Thursday as well, and I'll be hanging with my DU 1L friend. He might be willing to come along and offer advice on DU as well, depending on his study schedule.

Either that or we could make an admitted students day thread on the law school visits forum on this board.

And I am down to go out for drinks (margaritas anyone?) on Friday night. On Saturday I will be heading up to the slopes.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:46 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:

Either that or we could make an admitted students day thread on the law school visits forum on this board.

And I am down to go out for drinks (margaritas anyone?) on Friday night. On Saturday I will be heading up to the slopes.

My vote is for the admitted thread that's already there! That way we don't lose any stragglers, haha. Plus, it might be valuable to get our thoughts on the ASD into one place where the 4/1 ASD people will also be posting? But that might not be as useful as I think it is, who knows, haha.

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

oldhippie wrote:

that would probably be kinder to those who are waiting, my heart jumped when i saw new posts on here for a long time!

:cry: Sorry! It's a bummer that Southwest isn't in your city yet.

BeachedBrit

Postby BeachedBrit » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

Has anyone heard anything about scholarships?

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:49 pm

oldhippie wrote:

I know you're waiting for Southwest to start flying out of your airport, but it might be worth checking other airlines too. When I looked Southwest was $20-30 more than the one I booked.
Last edited by ptblazer on Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:52 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:

You know I'm down for this!!!

p.s. I'm officially going to the March ASD!

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:56 pm

yeah, i looked at airfares for march but all the airlines are keeping their current (absurdly high) fares going until SW shows up, then they all get nice and cheap and i'll actually probably end up flying a different airline. but until the competition shows up, they're gonna continue to price gouge us :(
and at this point, i've already made arrangements with work and all that stuff so i'm stuck with april...poo...hopefully i'll just meet y'all when we all show up in august!!! :mrgreen:

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:04 pm

bananeez wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

You know I'm down for this!!!

p.s. I'm officially going to the March ASD!

I 'm up for margaritas friday night. Some of us are going to the diversity dinner that night around 5 so it'll have to be after that if you want to hang out with any of us lol

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:13 pm

Come onnnn CU, Fundamentally and I live in Denver and are tired of hearing all this ASW talk (yall can carry on, this is directed at CU :mrgreen: )

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:18 pm

oldhippie wrote:yeah, i looked at airfares for march but all the airlines are keeping their current (absurdly high) fares going until SW shows up, then they all get nice and cheap and i'll actually probably end up flying a different airline. but until the competition shows up, they're gonna continue to price gouge us :(
and at this point, i've already made arrangements with work and all that stuff so i'm stuck with april...poo...hopefully i'll just meet y'all when we all show up in august!!! :mrgreen:

Of course... The whole airline pricing is really screwed up. Its the only industry that I can think of where you can receive the exact same service as everyone else, but nobody pays the same for it.

fundamentallybroken

Postby fundamentallybroken » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:31 pm

krad wrote:Come onnnn CU, Fundamentally and I live in Denver and are tired of hearing all this ASW talk (yall can carry on, this is directed at CU :mrgreen: )

Maybe they know it's easier for us to get there for ASW, so they don't feel rushed in getting us a decision.

Right? Right?

krad

Postby krad » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:32 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
krad wrote:Come onnnn CU, Fundamentally and I live in Denver and are tired of hearing all this ASW talk (yall can carry on, this is directed at CU :mrgreen: )

Maybe they know it's easier for us to get there for ASW, so they don't feel rushed in getting us a decision.

Right? Right?

Totally! :roll: <le sigh>

Top14Hope

Postby Top14Hope » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:59 pm

Last edited by Top14Hope on Sat Feb 12, 2011 3:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”