CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 8:11 pm

chrisbru wrote:I'm a little late on this, but I forgot to mention... lawschoolpredictor.com had me as an "admit", so I was really shocked by my waitlist.

Any advice on an LOCI?

Question is, do you really want to attend CU at sticker over Denver?

I'm sure you can get off with well written loci, but CU scholarships tend to not be that large and are hard to come by, plus I think your gpa would exclude you from most of them.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 pm

uhhh did anyone see the new post on the facebook page??? At first I was :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: then that shifted to major :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I felt soooo awkward reading that. However, I do hope they address his questions about scholarships because I'm curious as well; I just think it was poor form to ask those questions on a facebook page. :shock:

ChuckC

Postby ChuckC » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:17 pm

-
Last edited by ChuckC on Wed May 28, 2014 1:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:35 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:uhhh did anyone see the new post on the facebook page??? At first I was :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: then that shifted to major :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I felt soooo awkward reading that. However, I do hope they address his questions about scholarships because I'm curious as well; I just think it was poor form to ask those questions on a facebook page. :shock:

I typed "maybe not the place for this type of question. =/" into the box, and deleted it. Noooot a tactful guy.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:37 pm

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:uhhh did anyone see the new post on the facebook page??? At first I was :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: then that shifted to major :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I felt soooo awkward reading that. However, I do hope they address his questions about scholarships because I'm curious as well; I just think it was poor form to ask those questions on a facebook page. :shock:

I typed "maybe not the place for this type of question. =/" into the box, and deleted it. Noooot a tactful guy.

Yeah, like his question wouldn't have been that bad if he was only asking about the full-tuition scholarship confusion, but when he went on about his other offers from more "prestigious" schools, I was like omg :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: It just "rub"bed me wrong :lol:

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:38 pm

What was posted?

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:39 pm

LeDique wrote:What was posted?

PM'ed, didn't want to repost it on here.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:46 pm

Lesson to all: Don't be a douche or I'll call you out on TLS :lol: jk jk

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:49 pm

In other news, I bought my plane tickets and got the time off from work for the March ASD! =D

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:49 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:Lesson to all: Don't be a douche or I'll call you out on TLS :lol: jk jk

My thought was "dude, I think he just screwed himself out of any extra money." haha!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 9:50 pm

upfish wrote:In other news, I bought my plane tickets and got the time off from work for the March ASD! =D

yay!!!!!!!! Our March ASD TLS group is growing!

rlm124

Postby rlm124 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:10 pm

In today! 165, 3.5. The letter was dated Feb. 4th. CU is my top choice so I couldn't be happier.

LeDique

Postby LeDique » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:21 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:

Hahaha - I mean, it's a fair question in a lot of ways. But who the hell thinks that's okay to post on facebook?

Also, damn, all of those things said in that post describe my situation pretty well...I swear I didn't write it.
Last edited by LeDique on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:23 pm

LeDique wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

Hahaha - I mean, it's a fair question in a lot of ways. But who the hell thinks that's okay to post on facebook?

Yeah, and there are DEFINITELY more tactful and less ...stream of consciousness ways to ask. :shock: :lol:

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:28 pm

upfish wrote:
LeDique wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:

Yeah, and there are DEFINITELY more tactful and less ...stream of consciousness ways to ask. :shock: :lol:

You guys didn't hear??? Negotiating scholarships by flaunting your other offers in front of your future classmates on facebook is the only 100% effective way and results in a full-ride. pshh noobs.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:39 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:In other news, I bought my plane tickets and got the time off from work for the March ASD! =D

yay!!!!!!!! Our March ASD TLS group is growing!

Speaking of which, I still haven't gotten in touch with anyone from CU on a stipend. A voicemail to the Assistant Dean remains unanswered. :| I'll still try to attend, though.
Last edited by jwmalone87 on Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:41 pm

rlm124 wrote:In today! 165, 3.5. The letter was dated Feb. 4th. CU is my top choice so I couldn't be happier.

Congratulations!

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 pm

ah yes, congrats to the new admit!

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:28 pm

ptblazer wrote:
rlm124 wrote:In today! 165, 3.5. The letter was dated Feb. 4th. CU is my top choice so I couldn't be happier.

Congratulations!

+1! =)

upfish

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:31 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:Speaking of which, I still haven't gotten in touch with anyone from CU on a stipend. A voicemail to the Assistant Dean remains unanswered. :| I'll still try to attend, though.

Try emailing them. I too asked for a stipend because I shouldn't *really* be buying $250 plane tickets considering I'll need to make a deposit somewhere in April, and I only justified attending because a friend up there (a DU 1L!) offered me a futon to crash on. But anyway, I got ahold of someone via email and they said they'd be back w/me tomorrow.

So, I'll let you know what I find out. =/

Pufer

Postby Pufer » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 am

ptblazer wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:I joined because I am an information junkie, and I want to know everything I can to make a good decision. Moving to CO sounds really great on several levels, but I am kind of unwilling to lose my network here. =/ Houston is really great for ambitious young professionals, and I'm gonna need at least a little $$ as incentive to see if that's true in CO as well. *winks at CU's scholarship decision makers*

Can anybody comment on that incidentally? Pufer?

I have similar concerns about leaving texas, so I'm interested in the answers to your questions.

Personally I wouldn't leave an area (without incentive) that I wanted to come back to, especially if I had a solid law school option in said area.

Yeah, what ptblazer said. CU has the traction to get you back into a place where you have contacts if that place happens to be in the mountain west. Texas is insular enough that a CU degree wouldn't get you anything that, say, a Houston degree could.

While a pre-LS network might be good for getting summer internships or potential clients, however, I've not seen all that many folks relying on their old networks to get permanent jobs. You'll probably want to assess just how close you are to your contacts, and whether they're likely to be able to do all that much for you if you're still without a job while taking the bar.

ptblazer wrote:
chrisbru wrote:I'm a little late on this, but I forgot to mention... lawschoolpredictor.com had me as an "admit", so I was really shocked by my waitlist.

Any advice on an LOCI?

Encourage them to evaluate the entire body of work of your file and point out the strong aspects. Also, show them the value you'll bring to CU and how you've demonstrated that in the past. Then of course the obvious, why CU.

I think you've got a really good shot at getting off that waitlist.

I'd be more inclined to focus on "why CU" and emphasizing how you really want to (and will) come here rather than than rehashing your bona fides. Unless you think they've missed something in your resume, I'm not sure how valuable talking about shit already in your app will really be (if you're on the WL, they really will know who you are).

In other words, I suspect that our admissions folks would respond better to something that sounds more sincere and focused than something that reads like some "me-focused" cover letter you'd submit with a job application.

-Pufer

upfish

Postby upfish » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:57 am

Pufer wrote:Yeah, what ptblazer said. CU has the traction to get you back into a place where you have contacts if that place happens to be in the mountain west. Texas is insular enough that a CU degree wouldn't get you anything that, say, a Houston degree could.

While a pre-LS network might be good for getting summer internships or potential clients, however, I've not seen all that many folks relying on their old networks to get permanent jobs. You'll probably want to assess just how close you are to your contacts, and whether they're likely to be able to do all that much for you if you're still without a job while taking the bar.

I wasn't really asking about CU; I know it's good for placement in the region. I was asking more specifically about the Denver/Boulder area and how many opportunities there are for younger professionals to succeed. Here in Houston for example, I'm a member of a couple of young professionals groups that are pretty active, and getting into activist circles has been as easy as sending a couple of emails. It's a city that really prizes a willingness to get involved, and that's something I didn't experience in my home city.

And personally, my current network actually includes PI lawyers and the working boards of a couple organizations, so I think it actually could be pretty helpful post-law school. My main concern with moving is rebuilding that type of network in CO. =) I know it's more difficult to comment on than the school itself, but any anecdata you have would be great.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:13 am

Just got an e-mail saying that I went complete & am ready for review. Not sure what kind of chance I have but hoping for the best.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:15 am

kkklick wrote:Just got an e-mail saying that I went complete & am ready for review. Not sure what kind of chance I have but hoping for the best.

Good luck. I wish I had ties to the west coast/pacific northwest. Schools like CU Boulder are absolutely gorgeous and I really would enjoy living there for 3 years.

kkklick

Postby kkklick » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 am

SupraVln180 wrote:
kkklick wrote:Just got an e-mail saying that I went complete & am ready for review. Not sure what kind of chance I have but hoping for the best.

Good luck. I wish I had ties to the west coast/pacific northwest. Schools like CU Boulder are absolutely gorgeous and I really would enjoy living there for 3 years.

Thanks, yea I heard Boulder is a beautiful place to live, anyone have any idea on how difficult it is to obtain in-state tuition in 2L or 3L?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”