CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:52 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
My go to for tix:

http://www.kayak.com

EDIT: Roundtrip, come Thursday, leave Saturday, American Airlines, $163.


WHAT where? I see $160ish flights one way that get me in too late on Friday or too early on Thursday. I scheduled a trip to Seattle to tour UW and SU for 3/10-3/14, so I don't want to miss more than one day of work. So I have painted myself into a corner, I think.

I will check kayak and southwest again tomorrow though, and see if the prices change? I don't really understand why they would, but I guess we'll find out.

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:55 pm

upfish wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
My go to for tix:

http://www.kayak.com

EDIT: Roundtrip, come Thursday, leave Saturday, American Airlines, $163.


WHAT where? I see $160ish flights one way that get me in too late on Friday or too early on Thursday. I scheduled a trip to Seattle to tour UW and SU for 3/10-3/14, so I don't want to miss more than one day of work. So I have painted myself into a corner, I think.

I will check kayak and southwest again tomorrow though, and see if the prices change? I don't really understand why they would, but I guess we'll find out.


Once you see the general prices on kayak, go directly to the airline's site to purchase. So, if you now go to American airlines' website, you should be able to pick your incoming flight and your return flight so you can work it how you need it to be (for hopefully not a lot of money!)

E: Just checked directly on their site - you'll probably have to miss two days of work (Thur and Fri), but it's definitely doable for ~150-200.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Mon Feb 07, 2011 6:58 pm

upfish wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
My go to for tix:

http://www.kayak.com

EDIT: Roundtrip, come Thursday, leave Saturday, American Airlines, $163.


WHAT where? I see $160ish flights one way that get me in too late on Friday or too early on Thursday. I scheduled a trip to Seattle to tour UW and SU for 3/10-3/14, so I don't want to miss more than one day of work. So I have painted myself into a corner, I think.

I will check kayak and southwest again tomorrow though, and see if the prices change? I don't really understand why they would, but I guess we'll find out.

I don't know if they will be any cheaper on Tues/Weds since you are booking so close to the date, but when I would book about 2 months in advance, my flights would be at least $20 cheaper when I booked on a Tues/Weds and sometimes Thursdays. So I don't know if they'll budge this close to the date, but for future flights you should definitely try it out.

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:39 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
upfish wrote:
fundamentallybroken wrote:
My go to for tix:

http://www.kayak.com

EDIT: Roundtrip, come Thursday, leave Saturday, American Airlines, $163.


WHAT where? I see $160ish flights one way that get me in too late on Friday or too early on Thursday. I scheduled a trip to Seattle to tour UW and SU for 3/10-3/14, so I don't want to miss more than one day of work. So I have painted myself into a corner, I think.

I will check kayak and southwest again tomorrow though, and see if the prices change? I don't really understand why they would, but I guess we'll find out.


Once you see the general prices on kayak, go directly to the airline's site to purchase. So, if you now go to American airlines' website, you should be able to pick your incoming flight and your return flight so you can work it how you need it to be (for hopefully not a lot of money!)

E: Just checked directly on their site - you'll probably have to miss two days of work (Thur and Fri), but it's definitely doable for ~150-200.


You guys rule! After I cost-benny that time off from work, I may buy these ridiculously cheap tickets with the worst airline ever! :D

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12710
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby LeDique » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:45 pm

krad wrote:Pufer- your contributions to TT are REALLY appreciated!

I love how TT always bounces from serious LS stuff to questions about skiing :mrgreen: LeDique I've actually never ridden Copper but I'd have to guess that having any kind of event like that will crowd the area and limit ski/ride able terrain... I'll see if I can't get an answer out of my friends that do ski/ride Copper!

E: Although it looks like they're only up there on that Sunday... --LinkRemoved--


Interesting. Planning to call up Copper and ask them, but I feel like they might sugarcoat it. Hate that I found out after I had finally picked!

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 8:52 pm

How often to law students ski on the weekend, and where? It seems like DU would be a lot closer to summit/copper etc.

User avatar
LeDique
Posts: 12710
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 2:10 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby LeDique » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:02 pm

typ3 wrote:How often to law students ski on the weekend, and where? It seems like DU would be a lot closer to summit/copper etc.


Can't answer the first part. I'd guess Eldora might be the most popular because of proximity. DU's only like 20 mins closer to the West ski resorts. CU is much closer to Eldora.

User avatar
typ3
Posts: 1362
Joined: Sun Feb 28, 2010 12:04 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby typ3 » Mon Feb 07, 2011 9:23 pm

LeDique wrote:
typ3 wrote:How often to law students ski on the weekend, and where? It seems like DU would be a lot closer to summit/copper etc.


Can't answer the first part. I'd guess Eldora might be the most popular because of proximity. DU's only like 20 mins closer to the West ski resorts. CU is much closer to Eldora.



Ah totally forgot about Eldora..

I suppose the better question is, are there any good looking female 1L's who ski, and if so, how often?

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:19 pm

Boulder/Denver locals-
How long is the bus trip from Denver Airport to CU campus? How many times would you need to switch buses?

User avatar
fundamentallybroken
Posts: 663
Joined: Mon Dec 20, 2010 11:52 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:26 pm

ptblazer wrote:Boulder/Denver locals-
How long is the bus trip from Denver Airport to CU campus? How many times would you need to switch buses?


Hey pt.

Best thing to do if you want to check buses is go here: http://www.rtd-denver.com. There's a trip planner, you can enter from DIA to CU Boulder as landmarks and plan accordingly. That way, you can also see if you want to stop in Denver and look around, how long everything takes, etc.

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:29 pm

fundamentallybroken wrote:
ptblazer wrote:Boulder/Denver locals-
How long is the bus trip from Denver Airport to CU campus? How many times would you need to switch buses?


Hey pt.

Best thing to do if you want to check buses is go here: http://www.rtd-denver.com. There's a trip planner, you can enter from DIA to CU Boulder as landmarks and plan accordingly. That way, you can also see if you want to stop in Denver and look around, how long everything takes, etc.


Perfect, thanks!

Probably stupid question, but DIA East and West are just different terminals right? Not completely different locations?

rekopter
Posts: 81
Joined: Tue Apr 08, 2008 9:10 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby rekopter » Mon Feb 07, 2011 11:57 pm

ptblazer wrote:Boulder/Denver locals-
How long is the bus trip from Denver Airport to CU campus? How many times would you need to switch buses?


You do not have to switch buses. It's about an hour or so from DIA to Boulder. Be sure to catch the AB on the west side (it first picks up on the west-> then the east).

BTW, Pufer is an AB pro...
Last edited by rekopter on Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:31 am, edited 1 time in total.

ptblazer
Posts: 376
Joined: Sun Oct 31, 2010 11:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby ptblazer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:03 am

rekopter wrote:
ptblazer wrote:Boulder/Denver locals-
How long is the bus trip from Denver Airport to CU campus? How many times would you need to switch buses?


You do not have to switch buses. It's about an hour or some from DIA to Boulder. Be sure to catch the AB on the west side (it first picks up on the west-> then the east).

BTW, Pufer is an AB pro...


Sounds simple enough, thanks for the tip.

bananeez
Posts: 248
Joined: Thu Aug 05, 2010 11:47 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby bananeez » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:34 am

Shoot! I missed the the ASD shoe convo!! Can anybody suggest a book on the topic?

ptblazer wrote:
Probably stupid question, but DIA East and West are just different terminals right? Not completely different locations?


Yeah, just different airlines, not a big deal at all. Only need to pay attention when you're driving up to DIA. You get to ride a sweet train to luggage, though, with Gov. Hickenlooper welcoming you to Colorado!

User avatar
Pufer
Posts: 309
Joined: Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:32 am

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby Pufer » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:48 am

bananeez wrote:Pufer -- Thanks for all your help here. Do you know anything about how the search for a new Dean is coming? And what kind of impact do you think a transition period will have on CU?


Last I heard, they're down to four or five candidates. Pretty quick, it'll be two or three, then it goes to a chancellor or viceroy or some other ridiculously-titled person on main campus to make the final decision.

Traditionally, the dean is an internal promotion from the faculty ranks (including Getches, who is just going to go back to being a regular prof). This has kept a fair bit of continuity between deans, and a pretty clearly-defined CU Law atmosphere. This degraded a little bit with the increased emphasis on rankings and stuff that has come in during the last few years, generally attributed to the rise of Associate Dean Matthew.

A Getches CU Law is unconcerned about rankings, isn't rocking the boat when it comes to traditions or faculty moves, and is oddly honest about all of its numbers compared to virtually every other law school. The next dean, brought in through a national search as he/she is going to be, may well align more with a rankings-concerned way of going about things, and may be chosen, given main campus's input into the process, based on their potential willingness to kowtow to the CU powers-that-be.

While I don't think a more rankings-focused dean will hurt us in any way, I am concerned about a dean who really cares what the newspapers think about us, or will bend over for main campus. I'll use ThACs as an example. For a while, CU Law was it's own entity. Separated from the rest of campus by the abandoned former law school building, we spent many a warm spring evening with a few kegs of free beer, sitting in the grass in the law building courtyard, watching the sunset over the flatirons with our law school compatriots (and various friendly dogs).

Concern over our noncompliance with campus alcohol policies we never complied with before put security guards at the gates, and erected numerous bureaucratic barriers to our continuing the ThAC tradition. Concern over what community members and alumni would say if they found out about it (alumni would be totally cool with it; it was a tradition, after all), reduced the number of ThAC days that were possible.

A move at the end of last semester threatened an enforced ban on all alcohol altogether in the law building. This from a law school that has booze at every speaker event, a beer fridge in the law review offices, and whose Dean keeps some wine kicking around just in case. Dean Getches has not been standing up for us particularly effectively in this, but neither has he fucked us. Really, the general apathy at the top has kept main campus off of our backs (in many more ways than relating to ThACs). The only concern I have with the transition is that we end up with some main-campus lackey who takes a more active role that fucks us.

All that said, the dean doesn't really do anything. The rest of the deans and Cindy Gibbons (every law student's hero) really run the show, and none of them are disappearing as far as I'm aware. As such, I don't really foresee all that big a change, except that we're fairly likely to start cooking the books a bit more when it comes to statistics sent to US News.

Also, Getches is still going to be here, so it's not like any institutional knowledge is being lost or anything.

thewarflamingo wrote:Anyone know the attire for asd? I'm hoping for casual so I can where jeans and be comfortable, but I assume it'll be business casual instead.


They'd probably like it if everyone wore business casual, but the folks giving the tours and talking to you at lunch of both sexes will be wearing t-shirts and comfy jeans, so you don't need to be any more dressed up than they are. They've already let you in; no need to be uncomfortable.

-Pufer

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 10:48 am

So...I think more people need to join the admitted student facebook page :D

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:15 am

thewarflamingo wrote:So...I think more people need to join the admitted student facebook page :D


Can you link to it? I can never remember the login for the admitted students site and my letter's at home.

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:21 am

upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:So...I think more people need to join the admitted student facebook page :D


Can you link to it? I can never remember the login for the admitted students site and my letter's at home.

I'm posting from my phone so let me know if this link doesn't work.

facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_177183422305468&ap=1

User avatar
upfish
Posts: 507
Joined: Mon Mar 15, 2010 3:51 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby upfish » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:29 am

thewarflamingo wrote:
upfish wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:So...I think more people need to join the admitted student facebook page :D


Can you link to it? I can never remember the login for the admitted students site and my letter's at home.

I'm posting from my phone so let me know if this link doesn't work.

facebook.com/home.php?sk=group_177183422305468&ap=1


Worked! Thanks! =D

jayman6
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:42 am

I requested to join Friday, still haven't been approved...

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 11:46 am

jayman6 wrote:I requested to join Friday, still haven't been approved...

I'm sure they'll get to it this week, it took a couple days for mine to get approved.

jayman6
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:17 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
jayman6 wrote:I requested to join Friday, still haven't been approved...

I'm sure they'll get to it this week, it took a couple days for mine to get approved.



I'm sure the facebook page isn't on top of their priority list. :)

User avatar
oldhippie
Posts: 538
Joined: Wed Sep 15, 2010 3:41 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby oldhippie » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:19 pm

yeah, and i'm an old person so i'm scared that y'all will resent my presence there :wink:
also, i don't want them to know how badly i want to go there until they give me a scholly offer! so i don't want to reveal my IRL self yet :wink:

thewarflamingo
Posts: 939
Joined: Tue Aug 25, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby thewarflamingo » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:23 pm

jayman6 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
jayman6 wrote:I requested to join Friday, still haven't been approved...

I'm sure they'll get to it this week, it took a couple days for mine to get approved.



I'm sure the facebook page isn't on top of their priority list. :)

Their priorities should be (in this order) :
1. Scholarship decisions
2. Admitting TLSers in this thread
3. Facebooking
4. Admitting non-TLSers

jayman6
Posts: 188
Joined: Wed Dec 08, 2010 10:56 pm

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby jayman6 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 12:25 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
jayman6 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:
jayman6 wrote:I requested to join Friday, still haven't been approved...

I'm sure they'll get to it this week, it took a couple days for mine to get approved.



I'm sure the facebook page isn't on top of their priority list. :)

Their priorities should be (in this order) :
1. Scholarship decisions
2. Admitting TLSers in this thread
3. Facebooking
4. Admitting non-TLSers


+1

TLS needs a "like" button.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Baby Gaga, BACsop, Bing [Bot], JosefK and 16 guests