CU Boulder 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fundamentallybroken

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Postby fundamentallybroken » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:24 pm

Holy hell, I log out for a few hours, and you've all added 3 pages to TT??!

Busing it is easy in Boulder and Denver, and you can easily see more than just the "public transportation" routes of the cities. However, if you want to check out the mountain towns or really go exploring, I'd rent a car.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:34 pm

ptblazer wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:
ptblazer wrote:Getting this back on track. I've decided to go the March ASD, but what are people doing for transportation? I don't really want to rely on public transportation for this. Mostly, I'd like to see more of the area than the bus route. I guess I'm leaning toward getting a rental car, but I'm interested in other peoples opinions. I'm not 25 so I think I'd have to pay extra.

I'm doing it by bus. I already shelled out way too much $$ renting a car on my visits to law schools back east. Plus I had to pay $150 extra for being under 25.

And there's a bus to Eldora so that will be good. :)

It's that much huh? hmm... I've done the bus thing before during my undergrad visits and it was an issue. But that was in San Diego, which has a less than impressive public transportation system, unless all I was interested in was seeing the mall or spending 2 hours in a bus. (in my opinion).

It would be cheaper for me to drive there, but it's like 24 hours, yuck.

Yeah, it was expensive...that might have been the cost to take it from one airport to the next though. Now I can't remember. Either way it was definitely a good amount of extra cash. And yes, all of SoCal's public transportation is horrid...

Blech.

StillHerexxx

Postby StillHerexxx » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:40 pm

CU sent me an application fee waiver today. I am kind of contemplating sending an app in. It is so late though, would probably be a waste of 12 dollars.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:42 pm

Alright, you've convinced me. I'll stick to the buses. I'm probably going to stay a day or two longer so that I can scout out places to live and get some land lord numbers, which would increase the cost of a car even more.

stlisforlovers

Postby stlisforlovers » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:43 pm

Sort of a random question. I sent in my application and then CU sent me a fee waiver. Did any one successfully ask for a refund? This was over 2 months ago, so I certainly don't care anymore, but just curious.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:43 pm

StillHerexxx wrote:CU sent me an application fee waiver today. I am kind of contemplating sending an app in. It is so late though, would probably be a waste of 12 dollars.

If you still aren't sure where you want to go or you've had issues getting into places so far, you might as well give it a shot.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:46 pm

ptblazer wrote:Alright, you've convinced me. I'll stick to the buses. I'm probably going to stay a day or two longer so that I can scout out places to live and get some land lord numbers, which would increase the cost of a car even more.

Same...I want to be pretty close to campus and avoid driving as much as possible during 1L year.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:55 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
ptblazer wrote:Alright, you've convinced me. I'll stick to the buses. I'm probably going to stay a day or two longer so that I can scout out places to live and get some land lord numbers, which would increase the cost of a car even more.

Same...I want to be pretty close to campus and avoid driving as much as possible during 1L year.

If any of you tls friends using the bus for ASD get really stuck, you can always call me, I'll have a car. But only if you answer this question correctly:

Who is douchie-er -- chrisbru or bananeez?
Last edited by bananeez on Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:56 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:

Exactly, during undergrad I lived 1 block away from the campus and it was great. It is really nice to be able to go home for lunch, if only to just clear your head.

ptblazer

Postby ptblazer » Thu Feb 03, 2011 8:59 pm

bananeez wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

If any you tls friends using the bus for ASD get really stuck, you can call me, I'll have a car. But only if you answer this question correctly:

Chrisbru-- Sorry bud, I'm sure you're a really cool dude, but friends with "benifits" beats just friends, haha.

E: For the record I think everyone on this thread seems really cool and not at all douchie.

bananeez

Postby bananeez » Thu Feb 03, 2011 9:11 pm

ptblazer wrote:
bananeez wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:

If any you tls friends using the bus for ASD get really stuck, you can call me, I'll have a car. But only if you answer this question correctly:

Chrisbru-- Sorry bud, I'm sure you're a really cool dude, but friends with "benifits" beats just friends, haha.

E: For the record I think everyone on this thread seems really cool and not at all douchie.

:D Remind me, and we'll connect before ASD time! (Although... with the politically correct edit, I may drop you off at the corner... :wink:)

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:10 am

Did anyone else get the email with the travel stipend for the March 4th ASD? I wasn't planning on visiting, but now I think I will!

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:13 am

thewarflamingo wrote:Did anyone else get the email with the travel stipend for the March 4th ASD? I wasn't planning on visiting, but now I think I will!

:(
No, I did not get that email! I want a travel stipend! It would be nice...

What time did it come? And it came today?

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:19 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:
thewarflamingo wrote:Did anyone else get the email with the travel stipend for the March 4th ASD? I wasn't planning on visiting, but now I think I will!

:(
No, I did not get that email! I want a travel stipend! It would be nice...

What time did it come? And it came today?

It came about 20 minutes ago. It's actually for the diverse students weekend which is the same weekend as the March ASD and it has the same schedule as the open house on Friday except for a dinner on Friday at 5pm on the town and a Saturday brunch. It seems to be invite only, but they offered a $200 reimbursement and housing Thursday and Friday with current students for out of state admitted students. It said there were limited resources for the reimbursement and we need to reserve a spot by Feb. 10.
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:39 am, edited 1 time in total.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:55 am

I *think* I got the same email as you, titled "Invitation to the Diverse Students Visitation Weekend at Colorado Law"? I see where they're offering the limited housing by Feb. 10, but I don't see anything about a travel stipend on mine. Strange.

What IS a pleasant surprise about that is I didn't even know I'd been admitted yet. :lol: First line of the email was congratulating me again on my acceptance. Must have just happened this week with a decision letter still on the way. Whoo!!

I'll be thinking hard on this one. I read some other thread where current CU students were down on the job prospects there and that's kinda scared me off, but dammit, living in Boulder for 3 years would be heaven on earth. I'm really curious how the last couple OCIs have been.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:03 am

jwmalone87 wrote:

I *think* I got the same email as you, titled "Invitation to the Diverse Students Visitation Weekend at Colorado Law"? I see where they're offering the limited housing by Feb. 10, but I don't see anything about a travel stipend on mine. Strange.

What IS a pleasant surprise is I didn't even know I've been admitted yet. :lol: First line of the email was congratulating me again on my acceptance. Must have just happened this week with a decision letter still on the way. Whoo!!

I'll be thinking hard on this one. I read some other thread where current CU students were down on the job prospects there and that's kinda scared me off, but dammit, living in Boulder for 3 years would be heaven on earth. I'm really curious how the last couple OCIs have been.

Yeah that's the email. My reimbursement offer was in the last sentence of the 3rd paragraph, yours doesn't say that?

Congrats on your acceptance!!!!!!!!! I hope to see you there!

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:08 am

I swear I've re-read this email about a half dozen times just to make sure I'm not a complete idiot :lol: Nope, the last line of that paragraph for me is, "If you will be traveling from outside Colorado, we have students who have graciously agreed to provide housing for both Thursday and Friday nights to a limited number of visitors."

I'm gonna give their office a call tomorrow and ask (can't hurt), but even if not, there's a strong chance I'll be taking advantage of that housing and meeting you there :D Don't think it conflicts with any other ASWs and I'm super curious to see that campus.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:17 am

jwmalone87 wrote:I swear I've re-read this email about a half dozen times just to make sure I'm not a complete idiot :lol: Nope, the last line of that paragraph for me is, "If you will be traveling from outside Colorado, we have students who have graciously agreed to provide housing for both Thursday and Friday nights to a limited number of visitors."

I'm gonna give their office a call tomorrow and ask (can't hurt), but even if not, there's a strong chance I'll be taking advantage of that housing and meeting you there :D Don't think it conflicts with any other ASWs and I'm super curious to see that campus.

Oh yeah, I have an extra sentence after that about the reimbursement. Definitely ask though! I'm definitely taking advantage of it because that's basically an $8 trip to Colorado for me after the reimbursement. I'm so excited to visit CU!
Last edited by thewarflamingo on Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:34 am, edited 1 time in total.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:31 am

jwmalone87 wrote:I swear I've re-read this email about a half dozen times just to make sure I'm not a complete idiot :lol: Nope, the last line of that paragraph for me is, "If you will be traveling from outside Colorado, we have students who have graciously agreed to provide housing for both Thursday and Friday nights to a limited number of visitors."

I got the Diverse Student invite without the travel stipend sentence. Let me know what the office says.

thewarflamingo

Postby thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:37 am

I feel like I just outed myself on here to CU adcoms if only a very tiny portion of us got that one line. :shock:

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:09 am

so jealous of the travel stipend!!!!! i'll go anyway but that would have been very nice. i need a scholly more, though!

and thanks for the input about skiing vs snowboarding - i had no idea i would open up such controversey :D i'll try to avoid being douchey whichever sport i try :D i also want to cross country ski which is probably another old folk sport (but i am kind of an old folk, so there you go!)...
but more importantly, i'll be a hiking and camping FOOL when i first get there :D

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:27 am

ArchRoark wrote:

I got the Diverse Student invite without the travel stipend sentence. Let me know what the office says.

Just got the diverse students email but without that travel stipend line. But I already booked housing...

Even them funding housing would be nice though. But I think I will just RSVP and tell them I don't néed housing.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:33 am

ok, so this is probably a stupid question...but are the people who are getting the diverse student email actually diverse? as in, is it being sent to URMs only or are people who wouldn't consider themselves particularly diverse getting it?
(can you tell i'm still jealous? :) )

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:37 am

oldhippie wrote:ok, so this is probably a stupid question...but are the people who are getting the diverse student email actually diverse? as in, is it being sent to URMs only or are people who wouldn't consider themselves particularly diverse getting it?
(can you tell i'm still jealous? :) )

I would be diverse in Europe...law school, not so much.

oldhippie

Postby oldhippie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 9:46 am

well i'm old....that should count as diverse!
:mrgreen:

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”