CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
fundamentallybroken

Silver

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by fundamentallybroken » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:55 am

krad wrote:Also, I do appreciate both Pufer and mwarre's discussion ITT.

I hate ice cream. I'm lactose intolerant and even with a million lactaid pills, I still can't have ice cream :cry:
Krad will fit in quite well at CU, where I heard they all hate ice cream.

And Old Hip, you shouldn't apologize - the discussion is better suited for the "Discuss your law school" forum.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 11:57 am

oldhippie wrote:
krad wrote:Also, I do appreciate both Pufer and mwarre's discussion ITT.
i hope i didn't offend anyone - i also appreciated the discussion until it seemed to turn into an argument that was becoming unproductive. i'm sure not the boss of this thread, so feel free to continue if it is of value to other folks...
Haha no no you didn't :)

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:13 pm

Officially taking a tour and sitting in on a class tomorrow during an 'early lunch' away from work :) I can't wait!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:39 pm

krad wrote:Officially taking a tour and sitting in on a class tomorrow during an 'early lunch' away from work :) I can't wait!
Let me know how the class went, if you don't mind. The mock class during ASD was specifically designed for ASD and didn't have any current law students in it. While it was helpful to get an idea, it wasn't a true representation of a CU law class, so I'm interested in your experience.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:56 pm

So I went on a tour today. My tour guide was AWFUL- she basically showed us rooms, didn't say anything "extra" about the school or programs, referenced the NY Times article about law school without saying how CU was planning to overcome this. She was uncomfortable and awkward and it made everyone on my tour seem uncomfortable and awkward.
The class though was more encouraging. It was property which could be potentially really boring but the professor was interesting and most of the students seemed engaged. The one negative comment I have about the class was that it was VERY white. I've always been in a more diverse academic environment and it was rather striking how little diversity CU had.
Gorgeous building, awesome town, good program... I just wish I had a different tour guide. :?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:42 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:So I went on a tour today. My tour guide was AWFUL- she basically showed us rooms, didn't say anything "extra" about the school or programs, referenced the NY Times article about law school without saying how CU was planning to overcome this. She was uncomfortable and awkward and it made everyone on my tour seem uncomfortable and awkward.
The class though was more encouraging. It was property which could be potentially really boring but the professor was interesting and most of the students seemed engaged. The one negative comment I have about the class was that it was VERY white. I've always been in a more diverse academic environment and it was rather striking how little diversity CU had.
Gorgeous building, awesome town, good program... I just wish I had a different tour guide. :?
I have heard this before and it is sort of a turn off, but it doesn't matter anyway since CU will never admit me. I am convinced I will hear from them after the deposit deadline.

seaboot

New

Post by seaboot » Thu Mar 17, 2011 9:46 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:So I went on a tour today. My tour guide was AWFUL- she basically showed us rooms, didn't say anything "extra" about the school or programs, referenced the NY Times article about law school without saying how CU was planning to overcome this. She was uncomfortable and awkward and it made everyone on my tour seem uncomfortable and awkward.
We were on the same tour, it was a BIG turn off from CU. However, I'm still a fan since she was a just one person. Still made my day because I walked down to the admissions office before I left to ask if they have decided on my application and they actually told me.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:19 am

Though I was just WL at Davis - I am THRILLED because I just got home to a CU letter with the 12k/4k/4k scholarship waiting for me inside!!!

It is pretty safe to say I will be going. I am surprised because my #'s aren't that good.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Fri Mar 18, 2011 7:49 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:Though I was just WL at Davis - I am THRILLED because I just got home to a CU letter with the 12k/4k/4k scholarship waiting for me inside!!!

It is pretty safe to say I will be going. I am surprised because my #'s aren't that good.
congrats!!! that's great news!!!!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:42 am

oldhippie wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:Though I was just WL at Davis - I am THRILLED because I just got home to a CU letter with the 12k/4k/4k scholarship waiting for me inside!!!

congrats!!! that's great news!!!!
+1 billion

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:13 am

apologies about the double post.
ptblazer wrote: Let me know how the class went, if you don't mind. The mock class during ASD was specifically designed for ASD and didn't have any current law students in it. While it was helpful to get an idea, it wasn't a true representation of a CU law class, so I'm interested in your experience.
This is actually why I'm visiting today. Rekopter recommended it, since I work ~20min away, because it will give me a good feel of the normal day-to-day atmosphere on top of the ASD. I'll let ya know how it goes!

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Fri Mar 18, 2011 12:29 pm

They really need to work on their touring skills there. I experienced the same thing, and it's SUCH a beautiful building and friendly community, that it's a shame that so many people aren't enjoying the tours!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:19 pm

I really liked my visit!

Welp, I can't comment on the tour, because I skipped it and just sat in on a con law class then met with admissions (because I took an extra long lunch break to drive over) but I REALLY enjoyed it! The class was smaller than normal, because spring break starts at the end of the day (you could tell haha) and people were out, but I had a great experience and felt very comfortable there. The students were engaged and well-prepared, mature, and had very meaningful discussions. The building is amazing, too! I've walked by it before when in Boulder, lol, and just never realized that it was the law building. If people want more info, feel free to PM me :)

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:08 pm

Rejected via e-mail, letter dated today. The way my cycle played out I already know where I'm going but ouch, still hurts to be rejected.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:10 pm

Where are you going for law school ? I know that you have several options.

kkklick

Silver

Post by kkklick » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:11 pm

Windsor.

Still waiting for Western though, I'm in my second review.

Yourself?

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Finished a long time ago.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

LawSchoolPorFavor

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolPorFavor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:13 pm

Hey Krad-
It looks like you've also gotten into several other higher ranked schools. How much is rank affecting your decision?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:25 pm

LawSchoolPorFavor wrote:Hey Krad-
It looks like you've also gotten into several other higher ranked schools. How much is rank affecting your decision?
At this point in my cycle, rank is only a fraction of what I'm considering. I know that I would be happy in Colorado for a while longer. WUSTL with $ is different than CU with $, but I'm trying to balance a lot of factors. It's going to come down to where I feel comfortable, in addition to where I want to end up, debt, job opportunities, whether or not I want to leave my support network (SO is in Denver for another yr with residency/friends/colleagues) behind, etc. I hope that helps :)

LawSchoolPorFavor

Bronze

Post by LawSchoolPorFavor » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:38 pm

Cool-
I'm still waiting to hear back from some schools (WUSTL is one of them) and I'm trying to decide if a higher rank could pull me away from Colorado. Thanks for the input!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:40 pm

No problemo! I'll PM you with some additional thoughts.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Fri Mar 18, 2011 6:48 pm

Ick, I'd take CU over Davis any day of the week. In state tuition at Davis is MORE than out-of-state at CU, even without the caveat about gaining residency after the first year, for me it was a no brainer. I'm not even going to compare the cities, because it's a blowout in favor of Boulder.
kkklick wrote:Rejected via e-mail, letter dated today. The way my cycle played out I already know where I'm going but ouch, still hurts to be rejected.
Good luck on Western. I'd much rather spend 3 (more) years in London than Windsor.

thewarflamingo

Silver

Post by thewarflamingo » Sat Mar 19, 2011 9:10 am

When people start getting their reimbursement check for the March ASD, can you post that you got it here so the rest of us can anticipate when ours will come in? Thanks!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Mar 19, 2011 3:52 pm

Maury Levy wrote:

Ick, I'd take CU over Davis any day of the week. In state tuition at Davis is MORE than out-of-state at CU, even without the caveat about gaining residency after the first year, for me it was a no brainer. I'm not even going to compare the cities, because it's a blowout in favor of Boulder.
Haha, yeah I probably wouldn't have gone to Davis had I gotten in, but I did kind of want a viable CA option other than Loyola as I strongly dislike LA.

Boulder does beat Davis by a million though.

And I will definitely post when the stipend comes in.

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Sat Mar 19, 2011 4:30 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
Maury Levy wrote:

Haha, yeah I probably wouldn't have gone to Davis had I gotten in, but I did kind of want a viable CA option other than Loyola as I strongly dislike LA.

Boulder does beat Davis by a million though.

And I will definitely post when the stipend comes in.
I'm WL at Hastings. I feel like an idiot for wasting the $75 or whatever on applying.

USD is still in the running for me, but a distant second behind CU at this point.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”