CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oldhippie

Silver

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by oldhippie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:42 am

krad wrote:FWIW I have snow tires (studs on the drive wheels) because I drive a 30mi/day commute in a 2WD vehicle and if I don't make it to work because of the roads, I have to use vacation time. I also drive out to the airport a lot for work travel.

If I didn't have a long commute and/or drive my vehicle to the mountains regularly in the winter, they wouldn't be necessary. I see people in little 2WD vehicles on the roads in the random snow and they're usually fine (only a few slide around or get stuck). Last Wednesday I drove past a Smart car on the highway... hippies. :mrgreen:
oh, no!! there are hippies in boulder? not sure i can go there now....
:mrgreen: :wink: :mrgreen:

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:45 am

oldhippie wrote: oh, no!! there are hippies in boulder? not sure i can go there now....
Hahaha, I expected a response from you :D

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 10:46 am

oldhippie wrote:
krad wrote:FWIW I have snow tires (studs on the drive wheels) because I drive a 30mi/day commute in a 2WD vehicle and if I don't make it to work because of the roads, I have to use vacation time. I also drive out to the airport a lot for work travel.

If I didn't have a long commute and/or drive my vehicle to the mountains regularly in the winter, they wouldn't be necessary. I see people in little 2WD vehicles on the roads in the random snow and they're usually fine (only a few slide around or get stuck). Last Wednesday I drove past a Smart car on the highway... hippies. :mrgreen:
oh, no!! there are hippies in boulder? not sure i can go there now....
:D

LOL. In Paris all I saw were smart/small cars. I personally want a mini cooper or that new smaller Prius they are coming out with soon-ish.

Pufer, where would you recommend living if I wanted to live in Boulder? I know for first year I definitely do.

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:57 pm

Guys! I got an academy award nom this morning! Well deserved, if I do say so myself.

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:01 pm

bananeez wrote:Guys! I got an academy award nom this morning! Well deserved, if I do say so myself.
congrats! as well as on the golden globe and baby! you're having one hell of a year. :wink:

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:06 pm

stlisforlovers wrote:
bananeez wrote:Guys! I got an academy award nom this morning! Well deserved, if I do say so myself.
congrats! as well as on the golden globe and baby! you're having one hell of a year. :wink:
Yeah, my ballet dancer lover isn't so bad either.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:11 pm

brose wrote:Sorry for not going back and reading, but has anyone who went complete after 11/15 received their decision? I went complete 11/15, hence the question! Thanks.
On LSN there have been several people who have reported going complete after 11/15 and getting a decision. I'm sure your number is almost up.

bananeez

Bronze

Post by bananeez » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:17 pm

ptblazer wrote:
brose wrote:Sorry for not going back and reading, but has anyone who went complete after 11/15 received their decision? I went complete 11/15, hence the question! Thanks.
On LSN there have been several people who have reported going complete after 11/15 and getting a decision. I'm sure your number is almost up.
Back to law school stuff.

I went complete 11/24 and my letter was sent 1/14. I'm sure you will be hearing very soon!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:35 pm

bananeez wrote:
ptblazer wrote:
Back to law school stuff.

I went complete 11/24 and my letter was sent 1/14. I'm sure you will be hearing very soon!

Grrr... Complete 11/23. My turn now please?! :-)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:36 pm

Then me! Me!

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:41 pm

I went complete 12/30 (!).

That late, I think it's safe to say I will never, ever hear from CU.

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:10 pm

Well I emailed the dean like a week and a half ago regarding something I talked to her about at the law forum thing. She said that my decision had been made so... I'm waiting? LOL.

usernamer

New

Post by usernamer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:15 pm

Complete 11/18, no mail today.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:23 pm

usernamer wrote:Complete 11/18, no mail today.
Ugh guess I won't get my hopes up... thanks for the update.

ctroutma123

New

Post by ctroutma123 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:31 pm

Dirk Lang wrote:
ctroutma123 wrote:Just got accepted via snail mail! I'll look back through the thread, but any info on travel stipend for ASWs? I'm from Florida.
+1 on the travel stipend. Anyone know?
I just called and they said no travel stipend, which is a major bummer for me. Have to wait for scholarship info to see if I can make it out :(

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:32 pm

that stinks. i'll go anyway but a stipend would help a LOT.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:56 pm

usernamer wrote:Complete 11/18, no mail today.
11-19 but same

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:32 pm

Even though no good news has been posted... I'm still looking forward to checking the mail today!

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Jan 25, 2011 6:34 pm

chrisbru wrote:Even though no good news has been posted... I'm still looking forward to checking the mail today!
This happens to me everyday.

nicole88

Bronze

Post by nicole88 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 8:24 pm

I get so excited every day to check the mail, and today... nothing :(

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:10 pm

nicole88 wrote:I get so excited every day to check the mail, and today... nothing :(
I know what you mean. I'm about ready to have the post office hold my mail and deliver it once a week. That way I will have a stronger chance having good news in there when I check my mailbox.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:10 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:Pufer, where would you recommend living if I wanted to live in Boulder? I know for first year I definitely do.
Sorta' depends on what you want.

If you're looking walking distance, the best bets are probably the Spanish Towers condos (which are basically all rentals at this point) and Kensington Apartments (right across the street from the Spanish Towers), which tend to attract a lot of law students, and are within easy walking distance (in fact, those folks who don't want to buy parking permits just park over by those two complexes and walk to the law building). Both complexes are a bit expensive, but they're fairly nice.

There are also some pretty good places in the Goss-Grove neighborhood, but they're not quite walking distance (easy biking distance, though).

That said, I'd really recommend visiting and just driving around a bit. I was all up for settling in Boulder, surfing for apartments on craigslist every night, then I visited and realized that I would really hate living within the actual city limits. However, I stumbled across Louisville just driving around (Money magazine's best place to live in America), and decided this was where I wanted to be. There's a former TLS member, however, who fondly refers to Louisville as a "shithole spread," whom you couldn't pay to live where I do. Boulder is pretty small, but there's a lot of different feels to different areas, so, while there are some objectively scroungy places around, a lot of it depends on taste.

-Pufer

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 1:55 am

Pufer wrote:
queenlizzie13 wrote:Pufer, where would you recommend living if I wanted to live in Boulder? I know for first year I definitely do.
Sorta' depends on what you want.

If you're looking walking distance, the best bets are probably the Spanish Towers condos (which are basically all rentals at this point) and Kensington Apartments (right across the street from the Spanish Towers), which tend to attract a lot of law students, and are within easy walking distance (in fact, those folks who don't want to buy parking permits just park over by those two complexes and walk to the law building). Both complexes are a bit expensive, but they're fairly nice.

There are also some pretty good places in the Goss-Grove neighborhood, but they're not quite walking distance (easy biking distance, though).

That said, I'd really recommend visiting and just driving around a bit. I was all up for
settling in Boulder, surfing for apartments on craigslist every night, then I visited and
realized that I would really hate living within the actual city limits. However, I stumbled across Louisville just driving around (Money magazine's best place to live in America), and
decided this was where I wanted to be. There's a former TLS member, however, who fondly
refers to Louisville as a "shithole spread," whom you couldn't pay to live where I do. Boulder is pretty small, but there's a lot of different feels to different areas, so, while there are some
objectively scroungy places around, a lot of it depends on taste.

-Pufer
Walking distance or biking distance would be nice. I am not objectionable to using the bus system either. I am trying to avoid driving as much as possible.

That being said, what about Boulder made you decide that you would hate living with city limits? Also how much on rent per month do you save by living in Louisville. I am all for saving money especially because I found out I'm going to need an extra $100 every month to join the Running Republic of Boulder.

And thank you for answering all my questions! I really appreciate it!

Do you guys ever find time to go to Denver Broncos games? I have never been to an NFL game, and it would be cool to go to one. That is assuming there even is football next year with the looming lockout...

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 2:52 am

your asking a lot of the questions I've been thinking about queenlizzie, thanks! Also, I'm a huge sports fan so going to a Broncos game would be a lot of fun, I'm definitly going to take advantage of that at least once. Here's to hoping they can avoid a lockout, because its the only sport team there I'm really interested in. I dispise the Nuggets, so I will not be giving them any of my money, unless they are playing my favorite team. In which case I'll be sure to buy tickets off the street and thus avoid having to give my money directly to the organization (and I will also sneak in my beverage).

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Wed Jan 26, 2011 4:03 am

queenlizzie13 wrote:Walking distance or biking distance would be nice. I am not objectionable to using the bus system either. I am trying to avoid driving as much as possible.
In that case, you'll probably want to be looking for places within walking distance of Broadway, Baseline, 28th, or 30th, with a northern limit of Iris, and a southern limit of the end of town. Most law students avoid the Hill (the undergrad ghetto/frat area) along the central portions of Broadway. I'd personally go with a place either just east of campus, or along 30th.
queenlizzie13 wrote: That being said, what about Boulder made you decide that you would hate living with city limits?
1. Most of the apartment complexes feel rather outdated and dingy, especially for how much landlords charge for them in Boulder.
2. It's hard to get around. Taking the bus, it takes exactly as long to get to downtown Denver from Louisville (about 23 miles) as it does to get to downtown Boulder (around 8 miles) because of all the lights and traffic you hit once you get into town. Further, I drive everywhere, and there's not enough easy parking in Boulder.
3. Housing shortage mentality: "We don't have to do anything to fix the joint up, because there's not enough places for all the students, and we'll rent the place to one of the suckers eventually."
4. Elitist housing mentality: "Of course the place is a shithole; but it's Boulder, everyone wants to live in Boulder, this place is great compared to the rest of the shitholes in Boulder."
5. No air conditioning: "Oh, but you would only really need the A/C for like a month out of the year!" - Yeah, but you actually do need it for that month because your apartment is going to be 90 degrees inside otherwise.
6. Lack of everyday shopping amenities: I want a choice of three nice new grocery stores, a not-overcrowded Whole Foods, a new Sunflower, a Wal-Mart, a Super Target, a Home Depot, a Lowes, and a Costco, all within 10 minutes of me. I have that in Louisville, which is much smaller than Boulder. In Boulder, they expect you to shop at some crummy overcrowded grocery store, the busiest Whole Foods location in the nation, buy $30 hammers from a family owned hardware store, and drive to Louisville for everything else. Why don't I just live in Louisville then?

All that said, most of these issues probably stem from my growing up in a brand new town, living in a southwestern US urban sprawl situation. Louisville is a very new, sprawl-type suburb. Boulder is an older place, something like you might find back east somewhere. I just grew up with the former, so I prefer it.
queenlizzie13 wrote:Also how much on rent per month do you save by living in Louisville. I am all for saving money especially because I found out I'm going to need an extra $100 every month to join the Running Republic of Boulder.
There's an apartment complex on Arapahoe in Boulder that was built by the same contractor as the place I have in Louisville, the same year, on the same plans. It's a seven to ten minute drive to the law building just as my place is, just in a different direction. Both joints bill themselves as relatively upscale apartment communities, and have lots of amenities. Neither are within walking distance of anything.

A one bedroom at the Boulder complex has a Boulder address, so they rent their basic, not-remodeled one bedrooms for $1185/month. At my complex, a completely identical unit—completely remodeled in the last 6 months with new everything—rents for $817/month. That's $350 purely for the Boulder address.
queenlizzie13 wrote:Do you guys ever find time to go to Denver Broncos games? I have never been to an NFL game, and it would be cool to go to one. That is assuming there even is football next year with the looming lockout...
I probably had the time to buy season tickets and attend every game. The issue is more with living on the pittance of a financial aid budget they give us than having time for it.

$4 rockpile tickets at Rockies games is more of a law school tradition.

-Pufer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”