CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thewarflamingo

Silver

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by thewarflamingo » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:06 pm

ptblazer wrote:By the way flamingo, I got the travel stipend too. Maybe it is a need based thing. I've already submitted my FAFSA and one look at that would make me eligible for basically anything. I spent most of 2010 in Indonesia or unemployed.
That is entirely possible because I submitted my fafsa on January 1st. If they did base it off the fafsa, then that's really nice of them, but I would have expected a separate application for people to apply for a possible stipend. Who knows though, I still think it's odd, unless we just happen to be the people they are giving full-rides to :wink: :lol: just kidding, my numbers would suggest otherwise :lol:

So will you be there in March? Are you going to the diversity events too?

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:12 pm

thewarflamingo wrote:
ptblazer wrote:By the way flamingo, I got the travel stipend too. Maybe it is a need based thing. I've already submitted my FAFSA and one look at that would make me eligible for basically anything. I spent most of 2010 in Indonesia or unemployed.
That is entirely possible because I submitted my fafsa on January 1st. If they did base it off the fafsa, then that's really nice of them, but I would have expected a separate application for people to apply for a possible stipend. Who knows though, I still think it's odd, unless we just happen to be the people they are giving full-rides to :wink: :lol: just kidding, my numbers would suggest otherwise :lol:

So will you be there in March? Are you going to the diversity events too?
Yeah I'm going to the March ASD. I'm going to the diversity events too, might as well. There will be some time to talk with current students.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 04, 2011 2:49 pm

Welp, just accepted to Kansas. Only waiting on Colorado now... I wish they'd send me some love! With Minnesota out of the running, CU is still a clear frontrunner, with a lot of distance between them and my next choice, so and admit and a modest price will guarantee my matriculation!

...I think I'm losing my mind today.

deja

Bronze

Post by deja » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:01 pm

Waitlisted in the mail last night... 'twas a little bit sad, but I'm leaning more towards the Pacific Northwest now with how this cycle is going (this cold weather in Utah lately has probably helped lean my decision that way as well).

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:01 pm

well, congrats chrisbru....but i hope you get one more acceptance before it's all over!

and i also lost my mind during this process at least once. i seem to have found it again but i'm not counting on staying sane by any stretch of the imagination :D

ETA - sorry, deja :(

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:06 pm

deja wrote:Waitlisted in the mail last night... 'twas a little bit sad, but I'm leaning more towards the Pacific Northwest now with how this cycle is going (this cold weather in Utah lately has probably helped lean my decision that way as well).
Sorry to hear about CU... But the pacific northwest is a fun place. Have you ever visited me? PM me if you have any questions about the Seattle area!

Patriot29

New

Post by Patriot29 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 3:17 pm

I went in to visit the admissions office the other day. The very nice lady at the desk informed me that they have begun reviewing December applications. Can't wait for that rejection letter!

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:36 pm

Patriot29 wrote:I went in to visit the admissions office the other day. The very nice lady at the desk informed me that they have begun reviewing December applications. Can't wait for that rejection letter!
December?! What about my November that still hasn't been decided on :-(

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Fri Feb 04, 2011 4:39 pm

chrisbru wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:I went in to visit the admissions office the other day. The very nice lady at the desk informed me that they have begun reviewing December applications. Can't wait for that rejection letter!
December?! What about my November that still hasn't been decided on :-(
It's all lies.... secrets and lies... (sitting in the corner, rocking, muttering)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:07 pm

IN!!! FINALLY!!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:09 pm

jayman6 wrote:IN!!! FINALLY!!
Congratulations!

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:11 pm

DAMNIT!

I mean - CONGRATULATIONS!!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:11 pm

How important do you think going to an ASD is, guys? I could probably swing the March 4th one if I really wanted to, but it's $200 plus missed work RIGHT before a huge vacation from the same, and lodging will be a hassle, etc.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:12 pm

Congrats! :D

brose

Silver

Post by brose » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:15 pm

WL via mail. Not sure I'm gonna send back in the thing to stay on it, though. My cycle is OVER! woo!

fundamentallybroken

Silver

Post by fundamentallybroken » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:16 pm

We need some details here, folks who heard back today.

Complete dates?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:22 pm

ZOMG THERE'S MOVEMENT?!?

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:24 pm

upfish wrote:How important do you think going to an ASD is, guys? I could probably swing the March 4th one if I really wanted to, but it's $200 plus missed work RIGHT before a huge vacation from the same, and lodging will be a hassle, etc.
Doubt it's important if you know that you want to go there.

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:28 pm

Has anyone gotten a travel stipend? I'm in a predicament because I cannot go to the March 4th open house. I could probably swing the April 1st one but I'm going to be at U Denver on March 25th and don't want to stay for a whole week. I live 11 hours away so it's not practical to travel to Colorado twice in one week either.

franklin14

New

Post by franklin14 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:35 pm

brose wrote:WL via mail. Not sure I'm gonna send back in the thing to stay on it, though. My cycle is OVER! woo!
Sorry about CU, but congrats. W&M then, I am guessing?

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:38 pm

jayman6 wrote:Has anyone gotten a travel stipend? I'm in a predicament because I cannot go to the March 4th open house. I could probably swing the April 1st one but I'm going to be at U Denver on March 25th and don't want to stay for a whole week. I live 11 hours away so it's not practical to travel to Colorado twice in one week either.

Pick one to go to. If you're going to the March 25th Denver one, it doesn't start until the afternoon... Make a morning appointment to visit CU. I'd make it a point to ASD at the one you prefer, with a personal visit to the other.

I'm coming for the March 4th ASD if I get admitted to CU, and checking out DU while I'm in town. If no letter from CU by Valentine's Day... I'm RSVPing to DU for the March 25 ASD and leaving room in my schedule to check out CU if they let me in by then.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

jayman6

Bronze

Post by jayman6 » Fri Feb 04, 2011 5:50 pm

chrisbru wrote:
jayman6 wrote:Has anyone gotten a travel stipend? I'm in a predicament because I cannot go to the March 4th open house. I could probably swing the April 1st one but I'm going to be at U Denver on March 25th and don't want to stay for a whole week. I live 11 hours away so it's not practical to travel to Colorado twice in one week either.

Pick one to go to. If you're going to the March 25th Denver one, it doesn't start until the afternoon... Make a morning appointment to visit CU. I'd make it a point to ASD at the one you prefer, with a personal visit to the other.

I'm coming for the March 4th ASD if I get admitted to CU, and checking out DU while I'm in town. If no letter from CU by Valentine's Day... I'm RSVPing to DU for the March 25 ASD and leaving room in my schedule to check out CU if they let me in by then.
Thanks for the info. I have a pretty nice scholly at Denver so I'll probably RSVP for the March 25th visit day and visit Boulder in the morning. Hopefully I'll see you at the ASD.

Also, I think you were involved in a conversation about DU vs CU on another forum. I can't find that thread for the life of me. Do you remember where it was posted? What are your thoughts on DU with $$$ vs CU at sticker?

rockyIV

New

Post by rockyIV » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:00 pm

Got my rejection letter in mail today. Oh well looks like I am stayin on the East Coast

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:05 pm

jayman6 wrote:
Also, I think you were involved in a conversation about DU vs CU on another forum. I can't find that thread for the life of me. Do you remember where it was posted? What are your thoughts on DU with $$$ vs CU at sticker?
Here's the thread:
http://top-law-schools.com/forums/viewt ... 1&t=141751

From what I can tell, it depends on the difference in cost in the end. DU seems to still place it's top students pretty well. Students at each school will probably tell you a different story.

Baseline analysis: If you plan on staying in Denver, take the school that will cost the least. If there's any chance that you want to leave Colorado when you graduate from law school, go to CU.

Thoughts from anyone else?

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Fri Feb 04, 2011 6:10 pm

On cheap hotels for the March ASD, on hotwire, the $44 hotel in Boulder is usually the Days Inn on S. Boulder Rd., and the $52 hotel in Louisville is usually the La Quinta (which is pretty great for the price, with a decent free breakfast) or, less frequently, the Comfort Inn (not quite as nice as the La Quinta, but still nicer than the Boulder Days Inn) on McCaslin. All three are within 10 minutes of the law building if you have a rental car.

-Pufer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”