CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
chrisbru

Gold

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by chrisbru » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:35 pm

JakeL wrote: Most law schools are pretty much independent from the rest of the school from what I've seen. They have their own budget, endowment, etc. I highly doubt that CU law is bankrolling other departments. I think it's way more likely that they are still paying for the new building or they just know that there are enough people out there willing to pay.

For me, the questions isn't Indiana vs Colorado. The answer to that is obvious. The real question is ~>$100k debt for CU vs <$50k debt for IUB. Not as obvious.
This. I LOVE Boulder and would go there hands down... And would have sent in a letter already stating that if they pulled me off the waitlist I'd be 100%. However, when you compare the $75-$100k difference between my scholarship to Iowa and likely none if I got in to CU, I don't see how I can justify it... No matter how much more I love Colorado.

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 2:44 pm

ptblazer wrote: I have to disagree, but to what extent I don't know. Some departments are so expensive that tuition and endowments can't come close to funding it, like the sciences. Undergrad science can possibly be a money loser (depending on the department size), but it doesn't come close to how expensive graduate level sciences are for the school. All PhD chemistry grad students, for example, pays 0 tuition plus receives a living stipend at any university worth going to.
Yea, but that money does not come from the Law school. It comes from higher up. Most law schools are like their own business similar to the school's athletic department.

Edit: I'm not saying CU or law schools don't get money from state budget, but I have yet to read about law schools having to send money to other departments...

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:20 pm

JakeL wrote:
ptblazer wrote: I have to disagree, but to what extent I don't know. Some departments are so expensive that tuition and endowments can't come close to funding it, like the sciences. Undergrad science can possibly be a money loser (depending on the department size), but it doesn't come close to how expensive graduate level sciences are for the school. All PhD chemistry grad students, for example, pays 0 tuition plus receives a living stipend at any university worth going to.
Yea, but that money does not come from the Law school. It comes from higher up. Most law schools are like their own business similar to the school's athletic department.

Edit: I'm not saying CU or law schools don't get money from state budget, but I have yet to read about law schools having to send money to other departments...
Well I guess agree to disagree. I had a conversation at ASD about this with a person in admissions, but we were talking generally and not at all CU specific. But I think this is one of main reasons 3rd and 4th tier schools keep a law school verses other adding other graduate programs.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:25 pm

JakeL wrote:

Read Anna Ivey's book (former dean of admissions for U.Chicago)

She explains this practice. Law schools normally subsidize other areas of the university as has been mentioned in this thread. Law school's are highly profitable because of their low overhead and enormous tuition fees.

franklin14

New

Post by franklin14 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:31 pm

The fact that CU maintains a lower class size instead of inflating to get more margin is a very large draw. Part-time/full-time arguments aside, for ME, not having a part-time program is a plus. It shows a different sort of commitment to a program. I used the word "different," not better. For me, this difference is important enough to choose a school over another.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:54 pm

franklin14 wrote:The fact that CU maintains a lower class size instead of inflating to get more margin is a very large draw. Part-time/full-time arguments aside, for ME, not having a part-time program is a plus. It shows a different sort of commitment to a program. I used the word "different," not better. For me, this difference is important enough to choose a school over another.
Could you say more about what the difference is for you? I'm kind of puzzled, but maybe I agree and don't know it?

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 3:59 pm

franklin14 wrote:The fact that CU maintains a lower class size instead of inflating to get more margin is a very large draw. Part-time/full-time arguments aside, for ME, not having a part-time program is a plus. It shows a different sort of commitment to a program. I used the word "different," not better. For me, this difference is important enough to choose a school over another.

Are there many state law schools that even have PT programs?? I am having trouble thinking of any in T1...

I also think there are two schools that refute this- GW and GULC.

franklin14

New

Post by franklin14 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:12 pm

I think part-time programs are great for many people, but I believe that a school that doesn't have one, will have a greater focus on the full-time program. Not meant to be earth shattering. Yes, most state schools don't have one. I didn't mean to make that comparison. For me, I think a lot of the part-time programs can be used as a way to make more cash and are a bit of a distraction. Just my impression. I don't think they are bad, but I beleive that having a smaller program, or trying to, and only having that small program means a greater focus on the students being produced. That was the way I felt at the ASD as well. Of course, I have only toured other schools with PT programs and never been to their ASD's.

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:12 pm

TT is getting sooper serious! I like reading through yall's discussion though, keep it coming :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

JakeL

Bronze

Post by JakeL » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:17 pm

franklin14 wrote:I think part-time programs are great for many people, but I believe that a school that doesn't have one, will have a greater focus on the full-time program. Not meant to be earth shattering. Yes, most state schools don't have one. I didn't mean to make that comparison. For me, I think a lot of the part-time programs can be used as a way to make more cash and are a bit of a distraction. Just my impression. I don't think they are bad, but I beleive that having a smaller program, or trying to, and only having that small program means a greater focus on the students being produced. That was the way I felt at the ASD as well. Of course, I have only toured other schools with PT programs and never been to their ASD's.
Well it sounds like you are compairing a t2 with a t1 :)

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:18 pm

JakeL wrote:

Are there many state law schools that even have PT programs?? I am having trouble thinking of any in T1...

I also think there are two schools that refute this- GWannabe and GeorgeTTTown Diploma Mill.

FTFY - since this thread was getting too serious.

Maury Levy

New

Post by Maury Levy » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:24 pm

I was shocked to get the 12/4/4 scholly yesterday; 2.9 GPA requirement to retain. Even more shockingly...DU has been silent regarding money.

The possibility of gaining in-state tuition in addition to CU having the lowest overall COA (even factoring in out-of-state tuition) will certainly be major pull factors as well. Sounds like everyone had, at the very least, a stimulating time at ASD last week. I'd love to visit before deciding, but I doubt it's in the cards.

Oh, choices!
Last edited by Maury Levy on Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

franklin14

New

Post by franklin14 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:30 pm

JakeL wrote:
franklin14 wrote:I think part-time programs are great for many people, but I believe that a school that doesn't have one, will have a greater focus on the full-time program. Not meant to be earth shattering. Yes, most state schools don't have one. I didn't mean to make that comparison. For me, I think a lot of the part-time programs can be used as a way to make more cash and are a bit of a distraction. Just my impression. I don't think they are bad, but I beleive that having a smaller program, or trying to, and only having that small program means a greater focus on the students being produced. That was the way I felt at the ASD as well. Of course, I have only toured other schools with PT programs and never been to their ASD's.
Well it sounds like you are compairing a t2 with a t1 :)
Fair enough. Specifically DU regarding the PT program, just because it was a topic of conversation. Honestly, my comments were more intended to say that I liked the somewhat smaller class at CU versus other T1 schools (not specifially DU). Imma hang it up on this one.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

radio-edit

New

Post by radio-edit » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:40 pm

Got 24/8/8 in the mail today... I really wasn't expecting it because my degree GPA is low and they didn't even offer to maybe give me a travel stipend later if money came up, just said no. Decision just got hard.

CanadianWolf

Diamond

Post by CanadianWolf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:42 pm

A 3.7 GPA isn't low.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:46 pm

radio-edit wrote:Decision just got easy.
UTexas with $.

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:49 pm

typ3 wrote:
UTexas with $.
+1!

Also: pretty sure CU only gave stipends to URMs, so I wouldn't worry about that. Edit: I mean as far as them liking you.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

radio-edit

New

Post by radio-edit » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:51 pm

CanadianWolf wrote:A 3.7 GPA isn't low.
I know, but that's my overall GPA - I transferred after two years, had a 3.9 at the first school and much lower at the second. Between the downward trend and the fact that I saw somewhere (unless I imagined it) that CU uses degree GPA in its index calculations, I wasn't banking on getting treated like I had a 3.7 there. :) Happy, though!

And UTexas is probably the smarter choice, I know, but it doesn't have mountains. But I'll figure it out. It's just turned from a "duh" decision to one I might still think about in 10 years, when it's dark and sad music is playing.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:51 pm

upfish wrote:
typ3 wrote:
UTexas with $.
+1!

Also: pretty sure CU only gave stipends to URMs, so I wouldn't worry about that. Edit: I mean as far as them liking you.
Was the stipend reasonable or was it one of those ridiculous $150 ones? They seem to be stingy with money west of the Missouri river.

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:52 pm

radio-edit wrote:
CanadianWolf wrote:A 3.7 GPA isn't low.
I know, but that's my overall GPA - I transferred after two years, had a 3.9 at the first school and much lower at the second. Between the downward trend and the fact that I saw somewhere (unless I imagined it) that CU uses degree GPA in its index calculations, I wasn't banking on getting treated like I had a 3.7 there. :) Happy, though!

And UTexas is probably the smarter choice, I know, but it doesn't have mountains. But I'll figure it out. It's just turned from a "duh" decision to one I might still think about in 10 years, when it's dark and sad music is playing.

Ooo.. Do they really use major calculation for their index? I have a 3.6 overall, but a 3.96 polisci but a much lower double major in the hard sciences.

DreamShake

Bronze

Post by DreamShake » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:58 pm

Got a 12/4/4 scholly in the mail today; letter is dated 3/3. Initial decision was mid-late January, FWIW.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

upfish

Silver

Post by upfish » Tue Mar 08, 2011 4:59 pm

typ3 wrote:
upfish wrote:
typ3 wrote:
UTexas with $.
+1!

Was the stipend reasonable or was it one of those ridiculous $150 ones? They seem to be stingy with money west of the Missouri river.
It was $200, which would've covered my tickets if I'd asked about it in early February rather than late. As it is, it covered all but $48 of air travel costs! =D

jwmalone87

Bronze

Post by jwmalone87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:36 pm

Got my scholly offer in the mail today, too...24/8/8, 2.9 GPA requirement.

Damn you CU! I want to start crossing schools off my list, and this just makes it about 10x harder.

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:46 pm

Gahhhh. I'm out of town for Spring Break. I asked Dean Jackson if she could at least tell me if my offer was sent at ASD and she told me to e-mail her and she'd tell me. She hasn't replied though.

radio-edit

New

Post by radio-edit » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:57 pm

typ3 wrote:Ooo... Do they really use major calculation for their index? I have a 3.6 overall, but a 3.96 polisci but a much lower double major in the hard sciences.
I don't think it's major GPA specifically... I'm on my phone and too lazy to log in to LSAC to check the indexes, but I'm pretty sure CU's uses Degree GPA. I think. Maybe. Unless it changed since I originally checked.

But I took that to mean the GPA on your transcript from your graduating institution, which for me is significantly lower than my overall GPA.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”