CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
typ3

Silver

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by typ3 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:27 pm

Bleh!!!!!!! Everyone just taunts me on this thread. I will likely withdraw if CU doesn't come up with a good offer despite it being my top choice which makes me sad. I can't justify paying money for law school when I can go somewhere and not pay. Sigh.. damn you Minnesota and Denver.

zonto

Bronze

Post by zonto » Mon Feb 28, 2011 6:28 pm

Randomly found I was in through an email today saying my letter was mailed on Friday too! Didn't get it Saturday, so hopefully today's the day!

UtahPhi

New

Post by UtahPhi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:54 pm

Randomly found out today that I was in as well! Stupid spam folder apparently does not like to let me receive acceptance emails...

UtahPhi

New

Post by UtahPhi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:12 pm

Got my admissions packet today as well. Scholarship info: 1L- $24k 2L&3L- $8k. I had written them off, but this is a pretty decent offer so CU is back in the running.

Has anybody had any experience/success negotiating scholarships with CU? If so please speak up or PM me.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 9:58 pm

UtahPhi wrote:Got my admissions packet today as well. Scholarship info: 1L- $24k 2L&3L- $8k. I had written them off, but this is a pretty decent offer so CU is back in the running.

Has anybody had any experience/success negotiating scholarships with CU? If so please speak up or PM me.
Congratulations, that is a pretty sweet scholarship.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

WAinCO

New

Post by WAinCO » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:18 pm

typ3 wrote:
bananeez wrote:
solarae wrote:aw ,, shucks. i can't resist anymore, ya'll have made me smile =P this has to be the most positive thread in the section! love it :) I dooo hope I am joining everyone in the fall!

Seriously. Most of the other threads just made me more anxious while I was waiting. This one helped pull me through it. :D .

We have lots of love here.
Can we rename this thread to

CU Love Class 2011?

Wow hey everyone im sorry to have missed out on a the TLS fun during the admission process but I am here now! I received acceptance letter January 7th, the letter stated that scholarships would begin to be mailed late Jan...however I still have heard nothing. Sounds like some of you have begun hearing back about $$ so congrats! I moved to CO in August to obtain residency for instate tuition, which is fast becoming more difficult than I had expected! I am fearing though that if I dont get a good offer from CU I might take good offers that I already have from OSU, W&L, or Pepperdine...

For those of you who have not been to CO yet, this place is awesome you will not be disappointed!

UtahPhi

New

Post by UtahPhi » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:21 pm

If you don't mind me asking, what is the COL like in Boulder. I've never been there, but I'd be looking for a nicer 1 bedroom apt. Totally agree about the positivity of this thread too, probably the best of all the schools I applied to.

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:35 pm

WAinCO wrote: Wow hey everyone im sorry to have missed out on a the TLS fun during the admission process but I am here now! I received acceptance letter January 7th, the letter stated that scholarships would begin to be mailed late Jan...however I still have heard nothing. Sounds like some of you have begun hearing back about $$ so congrats! I moved to CO in August to obtain residency for instate tuition, which is fast becoming more difficult than I had expected! I am fearing though that if I dont get a good offer from CU I might take good offers that I already have from OSU, W&L, or Pepperdine...

For those of you who have not been to CO yet, this place is awesome you will not be disappointed!
First of all, welcome to the thread, and a belated congratulations on being accepted

What about establishing residency is more difficult than you had expected. Seeing as I am going to be in the same situation you are in soon, any insider advice would be great. I'm sure you will get a scholarship offer soon. To my knowledge everyone (expect the full rides) who has gotten a scholarship on here received it with their acceptance letter. I'm sure the scholarships for the people who got their acceptances already are coming in a seperate wave.

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:18 am

hey all!
congrats to the new admits and the scholly recipients - i hope to get the $ letter soon!
and i also got a new doggie from the shelter this weekend (in addition to moving out of my house because we were able to rent it out - this was a busy freaking weekend!!)
so much fun :D
ok, that's all, just wanted to pop in since i've been absent for a few days and needed an update!

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 am

oldhippie wrote:hey all!
congrats to the new admits and the scholly recipients - i hope to get the $ letter soon!
and i also got a new doggie from the shelter this weekend (in addition to moving out of my house because we were able to rent it out - this was a busy freaking weekend!!)
so much fun :D
ok, that's all, just wanted to pop in since i've been absent for a few days and needed an update!
Ditto, I was on vacay in Chi for a long weekend and just got back last night so HEY CU peeps! Congrats on the new puppeh OH!

Congrats to those with the scholly $. Rockies2 your #'s and residency make me hopeful that I'll see a little $ (I was under the impression that in-staters might get less $ because of an already lower tuition, but yay!!). Good luck to those waiting (esp typ3!!).

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:39 am

just to show off my new little boy:

:D :D

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:40 am

what a cutie ahhh!!

ptblazer

Bronze

Post by ptblazer » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:47 am

Its a boxer, yes? They are such fun dogs.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oldhippie

Silver

Post by oldhippie » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 am

i think boxer mix, they said pit bull mix but his color and muzzle are very boxer. he is a DOLL, just a sweet, mellow, agreeable guy, we're totally in love :mrgreen:

krad

Gold

Post by krad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:55 am

Ah, how fun!!

Also, for those that were wondering, it is a sunny, cloudless day here in CO with a high of 60. Fantastic weather for March 1 :)

Rucks689

New

Post by Rucks689 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:58 am

UtahPhi wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is the COL like in Boulder. I've never been there, but I'd be looking for a nicer 1 bedroom apt. Totally agree about the positivity of this thread too, probably the best of all the schools I applied to.
In a word . . . high. I am from Michigan, but I visited last August, and the person giving the tour explained that in Boulder, they have a sort of cap on new housing that can be built (in an effort to preserve green space in the city). So housing prices are pretty high . . . I have been looking at rent.com, etc and it looks like it would be hard to find a a decent one-bedroom for under 800ish a month.

If you are interested in looking at COL for other schools you are considering and compare with where you live now, this site can be pretty useful.
http://www.bestplaces.net/col/

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:59 am

krad wrote:Ah, how fun!!

Also, for those that were wondering, it is a sunny, cloudless day here in CO with a high of 60. Fantastic weather for March 1 :)
+1

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

WAinCO

New

Post by WAinCO » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:17 pm

Rucks689 wrote:
UtahPhi wrote:If you don't mind me asking, what is the COL like in Boulder. I've never been there, but I'd be looking for a nicer 1 bedroom apt. Totally agree about the positivity of this thread too, probably the best of all the schools I applied to.
In a word . . . high. I am from Michigan, but I visited last August, and the person giving the tour explained that in Boulder, they have a sort of cap on new housing that can be built (in an effort to preserve green space in the city). So housing prices are pretty high . . . I have been looking at rent.com, etc and it looks like it would be hard to find a a decent one-bedroom for under 800ish a month.

If you are interested in looking at COL for other schools you are considering and compare with where you live now, this site can be pretty useful.
http://www.bestplaces.net/col/
Indeed Rucks is right, it is spendy in Boulder. That said the school itself and especially the law school is easy access from the interstate, there are nearby towns that have quite a bit cheaper COL if you do not mind a little commute...maybe 10-20mins depending. If you hunt around you can find some cheaper houses but at a sacrifice of being around undergrad party neighborhoods. 800s about right for a live-able 1br

WAinCO

New

Post by WAinCO » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:20 pm

krad wrote:Ah, how fun!!

Isnt it awesome, been here 6mths now and I think I can count on one hand the number of cloudy days! 65 here in CO springs cant believe its March

stlisforlovers

Bronze

Post by stlisforlovers » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:03 pm

Aw congrats on the new puppy oldhippie!! He's adorable and shelter dogs are the best! :D
Soooo... how long do you think the early acceptances people will have to wait for scholarships? Wasn't there talk about the first week of March earlier? Which would be... NOW?!?

I <3 you CU!!! Please love me back!

UtahPhi

New

Post by UtahPhi » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:33 am

oldhippie wrote:just to show off my new little boy:

:D :D
That looks EXACTLY like my girlfriend's dog. He is a pit-boxer mix with that same brindle color. Even his white color pattern looks the same. Congrats, they are GREAT dogs.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

typ3

Silver

Post by typ3 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:18 am

I'm not going to post my dog. People will question my masculinity.

Not my fault I have a soft spot for yorkies.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:27 am

ptblazer wrote:What about establishing residency is more difficult than you had expected.
Do all the stuff that is required before you show up to your first day of classes. Don't leave the state for more than a week during the year you're here. Understand that you have to apply for in-state tuition insanely early. You do these three things (and are above 22), you're pretty much set.

The only folks I've heard being dinged on it got Colorado plates in December instead of August, or didn't pay state taxes, or applied two months late, or some other stupid thing. I suppose they may choose some random person to give a hard time to who has complied with everything, but I suspect such cases are very few and far between.

-Pufer

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:03 am

Pufer wrote:
ptblazer wrote:What about establishing residency is more difficult than you had expected.
Do all the stuff that is required before you show up to your first day of classes. Don't leave the state for more than a week during the year you're here. Understand that you have to apply for in-state tuition insanely early. You do these three things (and are above 22), you're pretty much set.

The only folks I've heard being dinged on it got Colorado plates in December instead of August, or didn't pay state taxes, or applied two months late, or some other stupid thing. I suppose they may choose some random person to give a hard time to who has complied with everything, but I suspect such cases are very few and far between.

-Pufer
I'm confused by this above 22 part you keep bringing up. Were there some people who started law school at 21 and had difficulty? Because according to the Office of the Registrar:
If your parents are not Colorado domiciliaries, you must be a qualified person to begin the one-year domiciliary period. A qualified person is someone who is either: at least 22 years old, or married, or emancipated, or a graduate student. Persons who are not citizens of the United States should read the section regarding aliens on page 3 for additional information.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:08 am

LeDique wrote:
Pufer wrote:

-Pufer
I'm confused by this above 22 part you keep bringing up. Were there some people who started law school at 21 and had difficulty? Because according to the Office of the Registrar:
If your parents are not Colorado domiciliaries, you must be a qualified person to begin the one-year domiciliary period. A qualified person is someone who is either: at least 22 years old, or married, or emancipated, or a graduate student. Persons who are not citizens of the United States should read the section regarding aliens on page 3 for additional information.
Just because that's what the regs say doesn't mean you won't have to go in there and point it out to them. I've spoken to a grad student from a different department who got hung up on that (hence my mentioning it).

-Pufer

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”