CU Boulder 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
theavrock

Silver

Re: CU Boulder 2011

Post by theavrock » Thu Jun 30, 2011 6:55 pm

So CU just today came through with a significant increase in there scholly offer. A lot more than I was expecting.

I'm really torn now because my SO has a job lined up in Wisconsin and we have a lease signed there.

The difference in tuition is $20K. Which is nothing. Does it really come down to where I want to practice here? Are there any appreciable differences in educational quality? Gah! I'm so conflicted. Very grateful but conflicted.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 12:10 am

theavrock wrote:So CU just today came through with a significant increase in there scholly offer. A lot more than I was expecting.

I'm really torn now because my SO has a job lined up in Wisconsin and we have a lease signed there.

The difference in tuition is $20K. Which is nothing. Does it really come down to where I want to practice here? Are there any appreciable differences in educational quality? Gah! I'm so conflicted. Very grateful but conflicted.
Congrats on the scholarship increase! If it helps - Quality of life would also be a lot higher in Boulder I imagine. It pained me greatly to withdraw from here, but DC is my dream with a career in public interest/government and I was accepted off the WL at GW.

Still the fact that your SO has a job in Wisconsin, makes it quite difficult. What does he do? Would he be able to find a job in Boulder?

Where would you guys ultimately be happier long term? Have you visited Boulder?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Fri Jul 01, 2011 7:59 am

Thanks! It's a great problem to have for sure.

The thing is if these offers would have come in at the same time I am fairly certain we would have picked CU, but we have so many things set up for WI and shifting gears so late in the game is difficult or is feeling difficult.

I think we would live in Denver so she would have more options when it comes to work. She is in child care and I am sure she could find a job there eventually, but right now she would have a month to find one and we have to find a house/get out of our lease in Madison.

I think that is what we have to weigh. We love Boulder/Denver and CO in general, but family is in WI and we would be more than happy there as well.

I know this really isn't a question anyone other than we can answer ourselves but I was hoping someone would say something that makes sense to me.

mrwarre85

Silver

Post by mrwarre85 » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:38 pm

theavrock wrote:I was hoping someone would say something that makes sense to me.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” --Albert Einstein

Smart guy.

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Fri Jul 01, 2011 5:56 pm

mrwarre85 wrote:
theavrock wrote:I was hoping someone would say something that makes sense to me.
“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance you must keep moving” --Albert Einstein

Smart guy.

Haha. Well played.

Should have been more specific I suppose.

Do any current students know what the curve is, ie: How likely is it to lose the scholly with 2.9 stips?

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 12:53 am

They told us at ASW that the curve was a B+. It used to be lower but they changed it now. You would definitely have to be below median to lose the scholarship.

Also, wish I could help you out more with advice but hard to know your exact situation/preferences/values. I was torn too when I got off the wait list at GW. It took me awhile to decide. Finally, however, I decided on the school that felt right and the school that could offer me the best opportunity to get my dream job (PI/Government).

LeDique

Diamond

Post by LeDique » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:26 am

I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a bit of an "accepted off of WL" decision involving CU. I picked CU over Cornell, and I still don't know if that was a stupid decision or not. Part of me thinks it was, but part of me knows I'll be happier in Boulder. So, that's how I felt personally. Sort of the opposite of lizzie. I just couldn't stomach the 200k+ cost of Cornell.

queenlizzie13

Silver

Post by queenlizzie13 » Sat Jul 02, 2011 1:51 am

LeDique wrote:I'm glad I'm not the only one who had a bit of an "accepted off of WL" decision involving CU. I picked CU over Cornell, and I still don't know if that was a stupid decision or not. Part of me thinks it was, but part of me knows I'll be happier in Boulder. So, that's how I felt personally. Sort of the opposite of lizzie. I just couldn't stomach the 200k+ cost of Cornell.
LOL. The cost was why I waited until 2 days before the deposit was due at GW to turn it in (I even had to overnight it via FedEx). I still don't know if choosing the more expensive school was a stupid decision as well.

I guess we will know after 3 years when it comes time to getting permanent jobs? But choosing the $$ over the prestige is almost always a good choice IMO. It is slightly different for the T-14 (at least for me it would be), but if the $$ is in an area where you would love to live/practice and don't mind staying there then, I don't think it was a stupid decision.

Pufer

Bronze

Post by Pufer » Sat Jul 02, 2011 4:13 am

theavrock wrote:Do any current students know what the curve is, ie: How likely is it to lose the scholly with 2.9 stips?
Like lizzie said, it's a B+ curve. Having made my way through mostly under the old curve/confusing point system, you probably don't want to rely entirely on my guess, but I suspect you'd have to be at least bottom third, and probably bottom 25% to be at any risk of losing a scholarship with that stipulation under the new system.

-Pufer

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

theavrock

Silver

Post by theavrock » Sat Jul 02, 2011 11:05 am

Thanks for the info on the curve guys.

Headed up to Denver later today to hopefully help with this decision!

rekopter

New

Post by rekopter » Sat Jul 02, 2011 2:07 pm

theavrock wrote:So CU just today came through with a significant increase in there scholly offer. A lot more than I was expecting.

-The relevant number for you is total cost of attendance. Do you have/will you get Wisconsin residency? The total cost of attendance for a Colorado resident will be over $150k. (--LinkRemoved--) Keep in mind also that students are virtually guaranteed to get in-state status after their first year at CU. I'm not sure about Wisconsin.

-I agree with Pufer that a scholarship with a 2.9 gpa stipulation will be extremely difficult to lose.

I don't think you'll notice much of a difference in educational quality between CU and Wisconsin. Wisconsin is a bigger school, so you'll probably get smaller classes at CU. Wisconsin likely has a better 'national' reputation so it's probably a better school if you want to end up in NYC, and definitely better if you want to end up in Chicago.

I happen to think that Boulder has a higher quality of life than Madison because it's not as cold and you have access to better year-round outdoor recreation activities. That said, this isn't true for everyone. Do you ski? Do you like to ice fish?

Ultimately, you've identified the critical difference--where do you want to practice?

Lord Randolph McDuff

Gold

Post by Lord Randolph McDuff » Sat Jul 02, 2011 6:54 pm

theavrock wrote: Are there any appreciable differences in educational quality?
No. Three years ago CU was ranked ahead of Wisconsin.

chrisbru

Gold

Post by chrisbru » Tue Jul 12, 2011 1:10 pm

Accepted off the waitlist today with $20k/$8k/$8k. Unfortunately, it was just too late... I close on my house in Iowa City on Friday, and can't turn down the full tuition scholly there. So, I turned down the offer. Hope someone else on here gets my spot!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”