IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thelaststraw05

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:24 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:10k / year scholarship via email yesterday. Not as much as duke but Gtown was my first choice so I will see you guys this fall! :)

Received today or yesterday?

Ratchet Jackson

Postby Ratchet Jackson » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:25 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:10k / year scholarship via email yesterday. Not as much as duke but Gtown was my first choice so I will see you guys this fall! :)

Congrats!

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:30 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:

Yesterday morning. I hope you get yours soon!

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:39 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

Yesterday morning. I hope you get yours soon!

Thanks. I really need to work on my RC. Your first post has it in the first sentence.

This is why I haven't received any GULC money yet.

giantswin

Postby giantswin » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:27 am

Anyone going to the event in NYC tonight?

lawscholar20

Postby lawscholar20 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:04 pm

Just received an email that I am an alternate.....What does that mean? Is it like a waiting list for a scholy.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:13 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:Just received an email that I am an alternate.....What does that mean? Is it like a waiting list for a scholy.

I think that is a waiting list.

What does it mean if we are part of the scholly forgotten? Part of the first group, but haven't heard back up or down.

lawscholar20

Postby lawscholar20 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:26 pm

edit
Last edited by lawscholar20 on Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

lawscholar20

Postby lawscholar20 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:27 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
lawscholar20 wrote:Just received an email that I am an alternate.....What does that mean? Is it like a waiting list for a scholy.

I think that is a waiting list.

What does it mean if we are part of the scholly forgotten? Part of the first group, but haven't heard back up or down.

Just curious.....How did you respond to the initial email? I got the "second round" email and was told to respond by March 4. I basically wrote a LOCI explaining why I am so dependent on a merit scholarship and that GULC is my top choice. I included that I had got significant ($$$$) scholy's from UCLA and GW......................And what did I get back...... "Alternate"???

Not sure whether to look at it that I am not "good enough" for an initial scholy or that being that I was only admitted in late Feb and was part of the second batch, they are already running low on $$$$ and they are being super selective.

lawscholar20

Postby lawscholar20 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:29 pm

Did any "second rounders" get scholy money today?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:31 pm

lawscholar20 wrote:Just curious.....How did you respond to the initial email? I got the "second round" email and was told to respond by March 4. I basically wrote a LOCI explaining why I am so dependent on a merit scholarship and that GULC is my top choice. I included that I had got significant ($$$$) scholy's from UCLA and GW......................And what did I get back...... "Alternate"???

Not sure whether to look at it that I am not "good enough" for an initial scholy or that being that I was only admitted in late Feb and was part of the second batch, they are already running low on $$$$ and they are being super selective.

Northwestern has an essay they request in the financial aid process that is essentially "Why do you need money? Why do you deserve money?"

I essentially used my Northwestern essay which says, "I'm broke and awesome. Also, other better schools (Michigan) have given me money - you should too."

lawscholar20

Postby lawscholar20 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:36 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
lawscholar20 wrote:Just curious.....How did you respond to the initial email? I got the "second round" email and was told to respond by March 4. I basically wrote a LOCI explaining why I am so dependent on a merit scholarship and that GULC is my top choice. I included that I had got significant ($$$$) scholy's from UCLA and GW......................And what did I get back...... "Alternate"???

Northwestern has an essay they request in the financial aid process that is essentially "Why do you need money? Why do you deserve money?"

I essentially used my Northwestern essay which says, "I'm broke and awesome. Also, other better schools (Michigan) have given me money - you should too."

I thought GULC took other school's offers very seriously.......guess not.......They didn't bite on my UCLA offer. i thought they would. I see other people have mentioned sending in their actual scholarship offer letters from other schools. Would they take me for my word even if I didn't send them my UCLA scholy letter?

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:42 pm

@lawscholar20

Actually, GULC is stingier than most schools and from what I understand LESS likely to match or respond to other offers, especially to schools it does not consider peer (and no, I don't think G-town sees UCLA as a true peer; nor GW). Duke and Michigan will almost always offer more than GULC and I don't believe GULC usually makes much of an effort to match them (oh, they might throw something on the table, but it's unlikely to be a full match).

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm

mr_toad wrote:@lawscholar20

Actually, GULC is stingier than most schools and from what I understand LESS likely to match or respond to other offers, especially to schools it does not consider peer (and no, I don't think G-town sees UCLA as a true peer; nor GW). Duke and Michigan will almost always offer more than GULC and I don't believe GULC usually makes much of an effort to match them (oh, they might throw something on the table, but it's unlikely to be a full match).

Georgetown undergrad was extremely stingy with scholly money. They had a small endowment at the time I was applied to college (and they waitlisted me for undergrad, btw)

Sandrew

Postby Sandrew » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:09 am

I'm a scholarship alternate as well. They say we are to hear back the week following the deadline for initial offers of 4/7.

whitman

Postby whitman » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:44 am

So if we haven't heard, does that mean we're not even an alternate?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:49 am

whitman wrote:So if we haven't heard, does that mean we're not even an alternate?

I applied for the PILS scholarship. I'm hoping that the reason I haven't heard yet, is that they aren't giving the scholarship out to PILS applicants until they know the result of the PILS process?

happyfeet

Postby happyfeet » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:57 am

thelaststraw05 wrote:
whitman wrote:So if we haven't heard, does that mean we're not even an alternate?

I applied for the PILS scholarship. I'm hoping that the reason I haven't heard yet, is that they aren't giving the scholarship out to PILS applicants until they know the result of the PILS process?

i've been telling myelf the very same thing since scholarship offers started rolling out...any ideas of when we might expect movement on the PILS process?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:58 am

happyfeet wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

i've been telling myelf the very same thing since scholarship offers started rolling out...any ideas of when we might expect movement on the PILS process?

Tried to call, but nobody picked up. I'll call again in a bit.

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:10 am

This might be me holding out a vain hope, but when I called a few days ago, the lady told me a lot of files are still with the committee (including mine) which means they just haven't come to a decision yet. Also, she said a lot more offers will come out after April 7th when they know who accepted the $$ from the first round.

In other words, all we can do is wait. :x

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:32 pm

happyfeet wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

"First week of April."

happyfeet

Postby happyfeet » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:04 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
happyfeet wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:

"First week of April."

thanks for checking on that. and good luck!

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 1:20 pm

happyfeet wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
happyfeet wrote:
Any ideas of when we might expect movement on the PILS process?

"First week of April."

thanks for checking on that. and good luck!

I find it highly unlikely. It seems the stars are aligning for me to end up at Michigan.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:26 pm

cngreen wrote:

This might be me holding out a vain hope, but when I called a few days ago, the lady told me a lot of files are still with the committee (including mine) which means they just haven't come to a decision yet. Also, she said a lot more offers will come out after April 7th when they know who accepted the $$ from the first round.

Well, I was one of those that hadn't gotten money or been told I was an alternate. They just sent me an email saying no money "at this time."

I guess I'll probably be taking my $15,000 a year at Michigan and running.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 6:39 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
cngreen wrote:

Well, I was one of those that hadn't gotten money or been told I was an alternate. They just sent me an email saying no money "at this time."

I guess I'll probably be taking my $15,000 a year at Michigan and running.

Got the same email, but they urged me to apply for fin aid, which I'll be waiting to see about.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”