IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
thekunstis

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby thekunstis » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:05 pm

Has anyone heard back from the March 4 batch of scholarship considerations?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:18 pm

thekunstis wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Bummed that I still haven't heard on scholarship money.

Were you part of the March 4 round or the Feb 18?

February 18th. But when I talked to them after the second round they said I was still in committee.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 8:21 pm

So I wonder how long after filling out the yellow form we hear from the financial aid office.

agora139

Postby agora139 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 11:09 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
thekunstis wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:Bummed that I still haven't heard on scholarship money.

Were you part of the March 4 round or the Feb 18?

February 18th. But when I talked to them after the second round they said I was still in committee.

+1 to both being bummed and in the feb 18th group of admits. let's get on with it already!

Sandrew

Postby Sandrew » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:24 am

For those who applied for the Public Interest Law Scholars program (I did, my answers in parentheses):
(1) Have you heard back w/r/t PILS? (No)
(2) Were you contacted about general merit scholarship consideration? (Yes) If so:
(a) When were you contacted? (3/2)
(b) Have you since been offered a merit scholarship? (No)

I understand that PILS applications are considered by a committee (of just four people) that's distinct from the committee that considers general merit scholarships. And I think I read that the PILS committee would begin considering admitted applicants in early March. I checked last year's thread, and it looks like no one heard back on PILS applications until perhaps late March (on the basis of this cryptic post, FWIW). While I understand the committees to be separate, I wonder if one's PILS application influences the timing of general merit offers. That is--and I'm speculating here--does the general merit committee wait until the PILS committee has decided before offering a single general+PILS merit "package"?

Wishful thinking?

champsound

Postby champsound » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:33 am

thekunstis wrote:Has anyone heard back from the March 4 batch of scholarship considerations?

I was part of that group and I heard back.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 pm

(1) Have you heard back w/r/t PILS? (No)
(2) Were you contacted about general merit scholarship consideration? (Yes) If so:
(a) When were you contacted? (2/18)
(b) Have you since been offered a merit scholarship? (No)

I find it really odd that they haven't kept in contact with PILS applicants. This seems like a pool that you could potentially rope in even if they don't get the scholarship. Worth at least staying in contact with them.

dreamster

Postby dreamster » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Has anyone used acceptances at other schools as leverage for potential merit aid at GULC? I haven't been asked whether I would be "interested." Wondering whether it would be useful to let them know that I'm leaning towards Chicago or Berkeley, but that a scholarship at GULC would factor into my decision. Sorry if this has been addressed in earlier posts.

champsound

Postby champsound » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:40 pm

dreamster wrote:Has anyone used acceptances at other schools as leverage for potential merit aid at GULC? I haven't been asked whether I would be "interested." Wondering whether it would be useful to let them know that I'm leaning towards Chicago or Berkeley, but that a scholarship at GULC would factor into my decision. Sorry if this has been addressed in earlier posts.

This is totally irrelevant if you never receive an email asking about your interest, but if you do... Then I think that your acceptances to Chicago or Berkeley will probably pull about ~10,000 per year out of them hopefully if you mention it. But it seems like to get any substantial amount of money you need to have an offer from a similar school that is a lot.

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:41 pm

champsound wrote:
thekunstis wrote:Has anyone heard back from the March 4 batch of scholarship considerations?

So Champsound, did you already received a scholarship from them? I had thought the only scholarships went out on 2/28 . . .

champsound

Postby champsound » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:50 pm

cngreen wrote:
champsound wrote:

So Champsound, did you already received a scholarship from them? I had thought the only scholarships went out on 2/28 . . .

I heard back yesterday by email with $25,000 per year. Actually a lot of people heard back yesterday, check the last page of the thread.

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:13 pm

0_0

Wah. Gtown, I wanna hear back too!!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:37 pm

Marionberry wrote:Well, more than a couple of months isn't necessary. But are you just talking about apartments/basements in rowhouses and the like?

Yes, within the immediate walkable capitol hill area (to the east side of union station) there are not many high rise apartments (senate square being the only i can think of). There are smaller apartment buildings, some converted row houses or old buildings, and row houses. Some row houses are broken into several apartments with different entrances/exits, and some have english basements that are 1br.

FWIW I've lived there for a few years and i love it, definitely my favorite neighborhood in the city. Very close to downtown yet quiet and neighborhoodly, much different than the busy streets right around gulc. I would walk around when you come to visit (you're going to the asw right?) and get a feel for the area.

src42

Postby src42 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:40 pm

hipstermafia wrote:FWIW I've lived there for a few years and i love it, definitely my favorite neighborhood in the city. Very close to downtown yet quiet and neighborhoodly, much different than the busy streets right around gulc. I would walk around when you come to visit (you're going to the asw right?) and get a feel for the area.
+1

Capitol Hill (especially southeast) > anywhere else in DC

...Dupont is cool too.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:52 pm

src42 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:FWIW I've lived there for a few years and i love it, definitely my favorite neighborhood in the city. Very close to downtown yet quiet and neighborhoodly, much different than the busy streets right around gulc. I would walk around when you come to visit (you're going to the asw right?) and get a feel for the area.
+1

...Dupont is cool too.

i'm in northeast, but they're both AWESOME. i love the hill. you can walk to so many cool places, including gulc!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:57 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
src42 wrote:
+1

...Dupont is cool too.

i'm in northeast, but they're both AWESOME. i love the hill. you can walk to so many cool places, including gulc!

Will I get chopped up and put in a dumpster? Because that's kind of a dealbreaker.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:02 pm

Marionberry wrote:Will I get chopped up and put in a dumpster? Because that's kind of a dealbreaker.

i doubt it, but you can check out detailed crime data here:

--LinkRemoved--

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:06 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Will I get chopped up and put in a dumpster? Because that's kind of a dealbreaker.

--LinkRemoved--

Moreover, that's not our style in D.C.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:11 pm

thelaststraw05 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

that did happen to a girl in dc this past year. well, i don't think she was chopped up but she was found in a dumpster.

i am not making this city sound great am i?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:12 pm

hipstermafia wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

I hear you guys, and I appreciate everyone constantly entertaining my neuroticness about moving. As much as I prefer living in a house, I think for the first year the simplicity of apartment living might be worth it, but we'll see. Definitely glad to know that there are areas on the hill which are nice.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:12 pm

Marionberry wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
src42 wrote:
+1

...Dupont is cool too.

Will I get chopped up and put in a dumpster? Because that's kind of a dealbreaker.

NO! :) I grew up there, and the area right around GULC has always been pretty safe. Moving farther south used to be dicey, but no more! Walk around at ASW, you will get a sense for it. Lots of families and young professionals.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:13 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:NO! :) I grew up there, and the area right around GULC has always been pretty safe. Moving farther south used to be dicey, but no more! Walk around at ASW, you will get a sense for it. Lots of families and young professionals.

i didn't know you grew up here! COME BACK!

src42

Postby src42 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:17 pm

Marionberry wrote:I hear you guys, and I appreciate everyone constantly entertaining my neuroticness about moving. As much as I prefer living in a house, I think for the first year the simplicity of apartment living might be worth it, but we'll see. Definitely glad to know that there are areas on the hill which are nice.

You might be right. Finding an apartment on the hill is a bitch because everyone wants to live here.

But seriously, DC is awesome--you'll love it. I'm going to be so sad if/when I leave.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 2:20 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
thelaststraw05 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

--LinkRemoved--

that did happen to a girl in dc this past year. well, i don't think she was chopped up but she was found in a dumpster.

i am not making this city sound great am i?

I'm just saying, we don't have the mob here for the most part. Most of our killings are meant to make a statement, not make someone disappear. So we don't want to give them cement shoes or chop them into little pieces. We want them whole and visible (generally).

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 3:14 pm

10k / year scholarship via email yesterday. Not as much as duke but Gtown was my first choice so I will see you guys this fall! :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”