IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
JFo

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby JFo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 2:26 pm

santoinettea wrote:
JFo wrote:
santoinettea wrote:For those who have finished the Yellow Form, did it ask you on that form (or anywhere on the GULC site, for that matter) to send in federal tax returns for parent/student?

I personally haven't seen this requirement listed anywhere; I just ask because the checklist thing that Need Access generated and emailed for GULC said that they require tax returns to be sent in.

Just wondering because I know some schools require it (Cornell, Columbia, etc), and I'm not sure whether or not GULC does.

Thanks!

They do, but you don't have to get them in until June 1st.

Thank you!! Can you tell me where you saw that info?

It's on the your completed Yellow Form: "Please ensure you submit your and your parents' complete signed tax return by the June 1st deadline."

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Wed Mar 02, 2011 3:41 pm

props to Gtown for the portfolio. They definitely know the way to my heart is to send me things :)

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:16 pm

ahduth wrote:Wow, this portfolio they sent is seriously slick. By far the best schwag I've gotten so far.

Yeah, my disparaging comment about it was to make people that hadn't yet received one feel better. It definitely gave a boost to my day.

Also, does anyone have an estimated cost of attendance for Georgetown? I'm having trouble finding it; they never seem to state it out neatly like most schools.

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

whitman wrote:
ahduth wrote:Wow, this portfolio they sent is seriously slick. By far the best schwag I've gotten so far.

Yeah, my disparaging comment about it was to make people that hadn't yet received one feel better. It definitely gave a boost to my day.

Also, does anyone have an estimated cost of attendance for Georgetown? I'm having trouble finding it; they never seem to state it out neatly like most schools.

when i fileld out my yellow form, i think they put it at around 70,500

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:17 pm

whitman wrote:

~70k/year

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:18 pm

whitman wrote:Also, does anyone have an estimated cost of attendance for Georgetown? I'm having trouble finding it; they never seem to state it out neatly like most schools.

This is all i have:

http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaff/st ... ition.html

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:19 pm

Marionberry wrote:~70k/year

This was the magic number they used @ asw for full time students

Siamsa414

Postby Siamsa414 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:27 pm

mr_toad wrote:@Siamsa414

That's weird, I logged in again last night just to double check before I posted my directions. No clue what's going on.

OK, GULC admissions staff solved the mystery for me. Apparently it takes some time for the credentials to be processed and to show up (a couple of weeks after being admitted, seems like). So I'll cool my heels until the information is ready! Thanks for your help!

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:34 pm

Oooh, got the pleather portfolio think today, it is nice, one of those things I'll have no use for but won't want to throw away for years. Also, there was a note in it that said they only give it to the student's they actually like and if you haven't gotten one yet it means they're not super excited about you being a GULCie.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:38 pm

In the process of trying to negotiate my GULC offer upwards. I called the admissions office, and they told me to send them an email with the details of my other offers and any reasons why I would really like to attend GULC.

whitman

Postby whitman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:45 pm

So there was just the one round of scholarship offers so far, right? I'm visiting soon. Should I try to meet with financial aid office and talk about scholarship money even though they haven't even offered any?

bender18

Postby bender18 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:59 pm

whitman wrote:So there was just the one round of scholarship offers so far, right? I'm visiting soon. Should I try to meet with financial aid office and talk about scholarship money even though they haven't even offered any?

+1 curious about this as well

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:07 pm

bender18 wrote:
whitman wrote:So there was just the one round of scholarship offers so far, right? I'm visiting soon. Should I try to meet with financial aid office and talk about scholarship money even though they haven't even offered any?

As far as I know, there's only been one round. As for asking--it can't hurt, as long as you phrase it the right way.

sheD

Postby sheD » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:42 pm

whitman wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
whitman wrote:I don't have my booklet on me. Is that for real?

It is really the picture in the "Careers" sections of the booklet. Unbelievable.

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha wow. yes. that is AWESOME

That was my response too...like, seriously? Shouldn't you at least be TRYING to show a photo of a law career in the careers tab?

agora139

Postby agora139 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:58 pm

Marionberry wrote:So, even if we can't find jobs, GULC is gonna make sure that we're not on the street.

or, they'll give us one.
New York Times article 1/8/2011 "For Law School Graduates, Debts If Not Job Offers" wrote:"A number of law schools hire their own graduates, some in hourly temp jobs that, as it turns out, coincide with the magical date. Last year, for instance, Georgetown Law sent an e-mail to alums who were “still seeking employment.” It announced three newly created jobs in admissions, paying $20 an hour. The jobs just happened to start on Feb. 1 and lasted six weeks.

A spokeswoman for the school said that none of these grads were counted as “employed” as a result of these hourly jobs. In a lengthy exchange of e-mails and calls, several different explanations were offered, the oddest of which came from Gihan Fernando, the assistant dean of career services. He said in an interview that Georgetown Law had “lost track” of two of the three alums, even though they were working at the very institution that was looking for them."

http://www.nytimes.com/2011/01/09/busin ... =cse&scp=3

Sandrew

Postby Sandrew » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:16 pm

bender18 wrote:

I just today (minutes ago) received an email indicating that I'm "among a select group of admitted students whom the Scholarship Committee has identified as a strong contender for merit funding." It looks identical to what was sent out in the last round.

Not sure if others got the same. It's probably a coincidence, but I emailed Andy earlier asking about how best to arrange an impromptu visit to the campus (can't make the reception on the 24th-25th), and in the same breath I hinted that I was curious about merit scholarship availability.

Hope this helps. Numbers are in my profile.

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:10 pm

Georgetown should really rebrand itself. "GULC" is just an awkward acronym. "Georgetown University Law Center" is too long.

But man, when I see "Georgetown Law" on that binder they sent me, it just seems so much better than when it is "GULC."

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:11 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:Georgetown should really rebrand itself. "GULC" is just an awkward acronym. "Georgetown University Law Center" is too long.

But man, when I see "Georgetown Law" on that binder they sent me, it just seems so much better than when it is "GULC."

It's only referred to as GULC on here, I think. Everyone else I've ever heard refer to it has said "Georgetown Law". I say "gulk".

moxiepostulate

Postby moxiepostulate » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:17 pm

I haven't been following this thread, so I wasn't expecting any more mail.

This package has got to be the coolest thing I have gotten from any school! So many little folders and nooks! A map! A Zipper!! I swear, based on stationary and admission materials ALONE Gdawg gets my vote. I am a sucker for this shtuff.

(Edit: First posted the in the applicant thread and then realized it was rather dick to be excited about admit materials in front of people still waiting to hear back >.<)

As to names, I'll stick with Gtown/Gdawg -- former sounds best, latter makes me giggle.

fatduck

Postby fatduck » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 pm

Sandrew wrote:I emailed Andy earlier asking about how best to arrange an impromptu visit to the campus (can't make the reception on the 24th-25th)

what did he say, out of curiosity?

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:38 pm

Marionberry wrote:
BarnabeSpooge wrote:Georgetown should really rebrand itself. "GULC" is just an awkward acronym. "Georgetown University Law Center" is too long.

It's only referred to as GULC on here, I think. Everyone else I've ever heard refer to it has said "Georgetown Law". I say "gulk".

Glad to hear I'm not the only one

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:01 pm

I'm trying to finish the Yellow Form, and I'm faced with this Title IV Authorization. I don't know much about it.

Thoughts? It's basically asking if I want loans to pay for things like insurance, food, library fines? Pros? Cons?

Thanks.

jfb

Postby jfb » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:53 pm

awilson11 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Glad to hear I'm not the only one

I'm looking forward to correcting people, "No I'm not in law school, I'm in law center"

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:00 pm

Best law center in the country btw.

Take that Franklin Pierce.

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:59 pm

Where do you find the EFC for the yellow form? FAFSA assistance keeps telling me it's #00000 but the yellow form keeps saying that's invalid. Also, on an unrelated note, the portfolio is awesome.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”