IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
hipstermafia

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:33 am

mr_toad wrote:Sez the avatar for the former mayor of DC :)

heheheheheheheheheheh

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:36 am

--ImageRemoved--

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:42 am

i think you owe it to D.C. to offer Marion Barry some marionberries upon your arrival

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:51 am

hipstermafia wrote:i think you owe it to D.C. to offer Marion Barry some marionberries upon your arrival

:D He's a hoot.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:03 pm

cngreen wrote:For those who received offers yesterday, were you all admitted earlier in the cycle [Nov-Dec]?

Just wondering.

I was admitted in late November.

(I just had to check my own LSN for that. I can't keep track of anything anymore.)

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:13 pm

I think also people on TLS feed off each other until we all assume that everyone packages schools nicely together as HYS CCN MVPB CN C -->GeorgTTTOwn.

Whereas, in reality, most applicants don't see it that way. They think of Georgetown as one of the best schools in America, and the only top top school in DC. It has a great name, and top students want to go there. Maybe they know it's not as good as Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, but I don't think they're thinking, "God, I can't go to GeorgeTTTown; I got into Michigan!"

I mean, when I applied to undergrad, it wasn't like I only applied to the top 15 schools and would have gone to the highest I got into. I applied to good schools that appealed to me, and went to a good public school even though I had a 1540 SAT. There are probably undergrad forums now where people would think I was crazy and tell me I should have held out for University of Chicago or some shit.

Also, people - graduates from top universities who are considering law school and have done basic research about it - have been more impressed by Georgetown than Cornell, Penn, Northwestern, etc. It just has a good name.

Not arguing that lay prestige or anything is important. Just saying that I'm not at all surprised Georgetown keeps their numbers high.
Last edited by whitman on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:46 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:21 pm

^^ Yeah I agree. Georgetown doesn't have to dish out a ton of money to attract highly qualified applicants.

But with sticker @ Gtown and 106k @ GW, the choice isn't necessarilly an easy one.
Last edited by bender18 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:23 pm

whitman wrote:I think also people on TLS feed off each other until we all assume that everyone packages schools nicely together as HYS CCN MVPB CN C -->GeorgTTTOwn.

Whereas, in reality, most applicants don't see it that way. They think of Georgetown as one of the best schools in America, and the only top top school in DC. It has a great name, and top students want to go there. Maybe they know it's not as good as Harvard, Yale, or Stanford, but I don't think they're thinking, "God, I can't go to GeorgeTTTown; I got into Michigan!"

I mean, when I applied to undergrad, it wasn't like I only applied to the top 15 schools and would have gone to the highest I got into. I applied to good schools that appealed to me, and went to a top 5 public even though I had a 1540 SAT. There are probably undergrad forums now where people would think I was crazy and tell me I should have held out for University of Chicago or some shit.

Also, people - graduates from top universities who are considering law school and have done basic research about it - have been more impressed by Georgetown than Cornell, Penn, Northwestern, etc. It just has a good name.

Not arguing that lay prestige or anything is important. Just saying that I'm not at all surprised Georgetown keeps their numbers high.

Credited, although it still doesn't mean that a well informed applicant shouldn't take Michigan at a lower cost relative to Georgetown if their goal is gaining practically any job in the legal profession.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:25 pm

whitman hit the nail on the head, IMO.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:27 pm

I think it's probably safe to say that TLS' perceived difference between schools like GULC and Cornell and Duke/NU is probably kind of overblown. Everyone has to be better than the next guy, so different schools get dogged on just based off of 1)biglaw placement (in which the differences in top schools are not huge) 2)USNWR rankings, which is pretty worthless, and 3) random conjecture based off of 1) and 2), as well as whatever hearsay individual posters have picked up.

Realistically speaking, the difference in top schools is not that big, though it becomes bigger depending on what your goals are.

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:32 pm

bdubs wrote:Credited, although it still doesn't mean that a well informed applicant shouldn't take Michigan at a lower cost relative to Georgetown if their goal is gaining practically any job in the legal profession.

That is an incredibly simplistic viewpoint on it. If you want to work with a federal agency, or if you want to try to get one of the few positions available with an international tinge to it, G'Town is almost certainly as-good-or-better than a school like Michigan.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:34 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:
bdubs wrote:Credited, although it still doesn't mean that a well informed applicant shouldn't take Michigan at a lower cost relative to Georgetown if their goal is gaining practically any job in the legal profession.

That is an incredibly simplistic viewpoint on it. If you want to work with a federal agency, or if you want to try to get one of the few positions available with an international tinge to it, G'Town is almost certainly as-good-or-better than a school like Michigan.

It's not really simplistic, he specified that that perspective makes sense if someone's only goal is securing legal employment of any kind. If that's all you care about, Michigan at lower cost is a better option.

edit:maybe I misunderstood his original post. Whatever.
Last edited by Marionberry on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:35 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:

I would venture to guess that there are disproportionately more Michigan grads (relative to class size) in federal agencies than GULC grads. Internationally you may have a point since lay prestige may factor in more, although there are not many of those positions.

Also, the cost is the real difference not the placement potential.

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:37 pm

bdubs wrote:Also, the cost is the real difference not the placement potential.

Oh, I misread - I thought you meant cost(Michigan) > cost(G'Town). My mistake.

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:37 pm

bdubs wrote:
BarnabeSpooge wrote:

I would venture to guess that there are disproportionately more Michigan grads (relative to class size) in federal agencies than GULC grads. Internationally you may have a point since lay prestige may factor in more, although there are not many of those positions.

Also, the cost is the real difference not the placement potential.

I would venture to say the exact opposite. I would think many more people go to GULC specifically to look for fed agency jobs than Michigan (even taking class size into account). Could be wrong, but that's the general vibe I got reading about Gtown.
Last edited by bender18 on Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:38 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:
bdubs wrote:Also, the cost is the real difference not the placement potential.

Oh, I misread - I thought you meant cost(Michigan) > cost(G'Town). My mistake.

No Michigan gives formulaic merit scholarships which seem to be uniformly larger than GULC's (at least so far).

hoping

Postby hoping » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:43 pm

hey guys my scholarship email says "Your scholarship, in combination with any need-based grants you may receive or have received from Georgetown, is for $15000.00 for each of three years of study here at the Law Center." does that mean I am not getting any need based? so my total caps at 15?

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:50 pm

hoping wrote:hey guys my scholarship email says "Your scholarship, in combination with any need-based grants you may receive or have received from Georgetown, is for $15000.00 for each of three years of study here at the Law Center." does that mean I am not getting any need based? so my total caps at 15?

By my read, no. It says that is not including need-based.

hoping

Postby hoping » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:57 pm

whitman wrote:
hoping wrote:hey guys my scholarship email says "Your scholarship, in combination with any need-based grants you may receive or have received from Georgetown, is for $15000.00 for each of three years of study here at the Law Center." does that mean I am not getting any need based? so my total caps at 15?

thanks! lol i don't want to call and ask "does in combination with" mean that its already included?" lol then they'll prob rescind any offer!

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:00 pm

hoping wrote:
whitman wrote:

thanks! lol i don't want to call and ask "does in combination with" mean that its already included?" lol then they'll prob rescind any offer!

Haha, nah. If it's bothering you, I'd go ahead and ask. However, actually, I KNOW it doesn't include need-based because there's no way you could have filled out the yellow form. It's not available yet. And I believe they won't even consider you for need-based until they've reviewed that. Good luck. And tell them to throw me some bones if you do call.

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:04 pm

bdubs wrote:
whitman wrote:I think also people on TLS feed off each other until we all assume that everyone packages schools nicely together as HYS CCN MVPB CN C -->GeorgTTTOwn.

I mean, when I applied to undergrad, it wasn't like I only applied to the top 15 schools and would have gone to the highest I got into. I applied to good schools that appealed to me, and went to a top 5 public even though I had a 1540 SAT. There are probably undergrad forums now where people would think I was crazy and tell me I should have held out for University of Chicago or some shit.

Credited, although it still doesn't mean that a well informed applicant shouldn't take Michigan at a lower cost relative to Georgetown if their goal is gaining practically any job in the legal profession.

You're likely right about this, though I do think they have an advantage when it comes to government, DC-based PI, and some international stuff (though that's largely irrelevant, being such a small field). However, I will probably choose Georgetown with a small scholarship over Penn, Northwestern, and Cornell at sticker, assuming that ends up being my situation.

hoping

Postby hoping » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:44 pm

whitman wrote:
hoping wrote:
whitman wrote:

Haha, nah. If it's bothering you, I'd go ahead and ask. However, actually, I KNOW it doesn't include need-based because there's no way you could have filled out the yellow form. It's not available yet. And I believe they won't even consider you for need-based until they've reviewed that. Good luck. And tell them to throw me some bones if you do call.

lol thnx and u got it..i'll tell them whitman deserves full!

FutureInLaw

Postby FutureInLaw » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

Did I miss the discussion about the leather case filled with information GULC sent? Others get it?

It was nice to finally receive something on the nicer side from them!

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:58 pm

FutureInLaw wrote:Did I miss the discussion about the leather case filled with information GULC sent? Others get it?

It was nice to finally receive something on the nicer side from them!

LOL, wut? Want.

suspicious android

Postby suspicious android » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:02 pm

Hmm, I can't remember this scholarship e-mail that everyone's talking about. Do they just write you up and ask you if you're interested in merit $$$? I can't imagine I'd have ignored that, but maybe.. I was admitted back in November, it's kinda hazy. Should i e-mail admissions and ask, I'd still consider GT over UVA if they came up with a sizable package, hate not to have the chance to make that choice.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”