IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
quetzal_bird

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby quetzal_bird » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:27 pm

I only shared the names of higher ranked schools I was considering

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:27 pm

coug11 wrote:I'm going to guess that not getting a scholarship offer on the first day that the committee released offers is not logically followed by not getting any scholarship offer.
A different question: Did the people who received the scholarship offers share with the committee their offers from other schools? It could be that the people who are still waiting are just more "complicated" than the others, for the committee. Just a guess.

I think this is the situation for me- after I responded to the "are you interested" email, they sent me a new one that basically told me to come back to them when I had a better idea of my offers so as to avoid a back and forth process. Then they asked me to give them an amount, which I don't feel comfortable doing. Not sure how many others are in my situation...

bmore

Postby bmore » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:33 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
coug11 wrote:I'm going to guess that not getting a scholarship offer on the first day that the committee released offers is not logically followed by not getting any scholarship offer.
A different question: Did the people who received the scholarship offers share with the committee their offers from other schools? It could be that the people who are still waiting are just more "complicated" than the others, for the committee. Just a guess.

I think this is the situation for me- after I responded to the "are you interested" email, they sent me a new one that basically told me to come back to them when I had a better idea of my offers so as to avoid a back and forth process. Then they asked me to give them an amount, which I don't feel comfortable doing. Not sure how many others are in my situation...

Got the same thing but I am not sure why I am so special. I am responding but based on offers I see I am not expecting much.

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:36 pm

bmore wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:

Got the same thing but I am not sure why I am so special. I am responding but based on offers I see I am not expecting much.

Good to know I'm not alone, I guess I will write them back in a week or so. Good Luck!!

jfb

Postby jfb » Mon Feb 28, 2011 10:39 pm

I let them know about my offers from higher and similarly ranked schools, but given my gulc offer, I'm not sure if they took them into account.
Last edited by jfb on Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Feb 28, 2011 11:24 pm

Guess I am probably not getting an offer. With the money I have at Umich this would throw GULC out of the equation. Oh well. Guess I'll wait a little longer and see if I maybe get something and if not withdraw. Though I doubt they would give me enough to out weight the 54k from mich plus the difference in COL.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Tue Mar 01, 2011 12:02 am

I didn't share anything with them (as a matter of fact, my reply to that original "do you want to be considered" email was one sentence--the opportunity for a LOCI totally sailed over my head). I'm going to let them know now and see if it does any good.

Dany

Postby Dany » Tue Mar 01, 2011 2:52 am

For those keeping track, I just sent them a very short email response to the "are you interested?" email and did not include any other acceptances or offers for them to consider.

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Tue Mar 01, 2011 6:02 am

Checking in. I got the same as LawMonkey.

My email was sort of an LOCI, including my other options and my stance on Gtown.

thekunstis

Postby thekunstis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:59 am

edit
Last edited by thekunstis on Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:11 am

For those who received offers yesterday, were you all admitted earlier in the cycle [Nov-Dec]?

Just wondering.

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:24 am

Spoke with the admissions office. The first round sent out yesterday wasn't the only round. Some scholarship applications are still in review. They will get back to people who sent in information in the next two weeks (I believe).

bendurnotes4me

Postby bendurnotes4me » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:35 am

I got in 1/29 and I was sent the are-you-interested email - received 45K yesterday

Shloime

Postby Shloime » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:40 am

cngreen wrote:For those who received offers yesterday, were you all admitted earlier in the cycle [Nov-Dec]?

Just wondering.

I was

coug11

Postby coug11 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:57 am

Yellow Form Status Checker

Up mid February -> early this week -> up this week.

It keeps progressing!

jfb

Postby jfb » Tue Mar 01, 2011 10:58 am

Shloime wrote:
cngreen wrote:For those who received offers yesterday, were you all admitted earlier in the cycle [Nov-Dec]?

Just wondering.

I was

I was as well

bender18

Postby bender18 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:00 am

Perhaps GULC offers more need-based and less merit-based money than other schools in the T14? Maybe it's because there's a "moral obligation" to pay back need based aid, so it benefits the school to give out more of it in the long-run.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:04 am

It's pretty ridiculous if you go and look at last year's LSN for G-town and compare the scholly money they offer to, say, Duke or UM. Higher cost of living + LESS assistance = yikes.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:14 am

Sandrew

Postby Sandrew » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:17 am

bender18 wrote:Perhaps GULC offers more need-based and less merit-based money than other schools in the T14? Maybe it's because there's a "moral obligation" to pay back need based aid, so it benefits the school to give out more of it in the long-run.

Or perhaps GULC can attract highly qualified matriculants by dint of geography. Given that (A) GULC is in a major metropolitan area, and (B) the nearest school ranked higher is 100 miles away, GULC is in a rare position among top schools. Duke, UVA, Michigan and Cornell lack (A); NYU/Columbia and Chicago/NU lack (B). Penn and Berkeley seem comparable. Are those two more generous with merit-based aid?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:18 am

mr_toad wrote:It's pretty ridiculous if you go and look at last year's LSN for G-town and compare the scholly money they offer to, say, Duke or UM. Higher cost of living + LESS assistance = yikes.

Yet somehow they still manage to fill their class and keep their medians high. I guess there really is a lot of appeal to living/studying in DC for some people?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:21 am

Sandrew wrote:
bender18 wrote:Perhaps GULC offers more need-based and less merit-based money than other schools in the T14? Maybe it's because there's a "moral obligation" to pay back need based aid, so it benefits the school to give out more of it in the long-run.

Or perhaps GULC can attract highly qualified matriculants by dint of geography. Given that (A) GULC is in a major metropolitan area, and (B) the nearest school ranked higher is 100 miles away, GULC is in a rare position among top schools. Duke, UVA, Michigan and Cornell lack (A); NYU/Columbia and Chicago/NU lack (B). Penn and Berkeley seem comparable. Are those two more generous with merit-based aid?

I think this has a lot to do with it. At the ASW being the best law school in washington was repeated over and over and over again. As a city person, and having lived in dc for many years, i do think there are huge advantages to being in a major city (especially this one) but there are plenty of people that do not share these views.

I have heard gulc is more generous with financial aid than say, michigan (which i hear gives practically NO financial aid), but i don't have any facts to back that up.

eta: i meant financial (not merit as originally posted). i have yet to have my morning coffee AH
Last edited by hipstermafia on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

Marionberry wrote:
mr_toad wrote:It's pretty ridiculous if you go and look at last year's LSN for G-town and compare the scholly money they offer to, say, Duke or UM. Higher cost of living + LESS assistance = yikes.

Yet somehow they still manage to fill their class and keep their medians high. I guess there really is a lot of appeal to living/studying in DC for some people?

Sez the avatar for the former mayor of DC :)

Yeah, I get the points you and sandrew are making. And I feel that pull to DC, too... just not sure if it's worth, oh, 100k more than Duke/UM with a decent scholly to one of those two places. But yeah, obviously a lot of people make that decision.

Edited to fix reference.
Last edited by mr_toad on Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:23 am

hipstermafia wrote:I have heard gulc is more generous with merit aid than say, michigan (which i hear gives practically NO merit aid), but i don't have any facts to back that up.

In my experience, UMich is much more generous with merit aid (some) than Georgetown (none).

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Mar 01, 2011 11:26 am

InvictusFortis wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:I have heard gulc is more generous with merit aid than say, michigan (which i hear gives practically NO merit aid), but i don't have any facts to back that up.

In my experience, UMich is much more generous with merit aid (some) than Georgetown (none).

crap. i meant financial aid, not merit. mich is def more generous with merit aid :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”