IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
pereira6

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:53 pm

cngreen wrote:Re: Scholarships.

I spoke with the scholarship coordinator this morning and she said that they had only begun to look at files on Friday. The email that was sent out was meant to gauge interest in GULC. The Committee, of course, didn't want to waste its time with anyone who was already planning on withdrawing. She said the email did manage to weed out a few students.

No comment on how long the committee takes on decisions.

Soooo if we didn't get the e-mail, we should be like "YO! Gtown! I'm interested still!" And they'll send out scholarship consideration stuff?

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:55 pm

pereira6 wrote:

I spoke with the scholarship coordinator this morning and she said that they had only begun to look at files on Friday. The email that was sent out was meant to gauge interest in GULC. The Committee, of course, didn't want to waste its time with anyone who was already planning on withdrawing. She said the email did manage to weed out a few students.

Soooo if we didn't get the e-mail, we should be like "YO! Gtown! I'm interested still!" And they'll send out scholarship consideration stuff?

I think the Committee appreciates knowing that you are interested in their school. She didn't tell me what to do, per se.

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:55 pm

Does that mean that the emails were intended for candidates whom they thought might not attend? Or does that mean that if we didn't receive the email, we are likely not in consideration for merit scholarships?

pereira6 wrote:Soooo if we didn't get the e-mail, we should be like "YO! Gtown! I'm interested still!" And they'll send out scholarship consideration stuff?

I hope so?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:00 pm

mr_toad wrote:Oh, yeah, has anyone noticed if the yellow form is finally available? Thanks! I hate digging up my stupid randomly generated user crap to log in and check... but if you happen to know offhand, I'd appreciate it.

Nope. Just checked.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:08 pm

cngreen wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

I think the Committee appreciates knowing that you are interested in their school. She didn't tell me what to do, per se.

I WANT them to know they're my favorite, but I feel like saying that will DECREASE the already slim chance of my getting scholarships.

coug11

Postby coug11 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 1:37 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
cngreen wrote:
pereira6 wrote:

I WANT them to know they're my favorite, but I feel like saying that will DECREASE the already slim chance of my getting scholarships.

Tell them that you are interested, but cost is an important factor in deciding where to go.

almostfamous

Postby almostfamous » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:30 pm

So from what I'm getting, it's at least worth it to shoot them an email asking about merit aid?

I doubt they'd consider me for anything, but WUSTL gave me $84K and so made my decision a lot more difficult. ANYTHING from GULC would make my life so much easier.

On another note, do you think GULC would take into consideration that amount of money from WUSTL, or is their ranking too low?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:38 pm

coug11 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

Tell them that you are interested, but cost is an important factor in deciding where to go.

When I replied I gave them reasons for still wanting to attend and let them know that I do have other offers. I don't know if that will hurt any, but I wanted to let them know that they're definitely still on my list but I have enticing alternatives. We'll see how it goes...

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 3:40 pm

law_monkey wrote:
coug11 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:

When I replied I gave them reasons for still wanting to attend and let them know that I do have other offers. I don't know if that will hurt any, but I wanted to let them know that they're definitely still on my list but I have enticing alternatives. We'll see how it goes...

I didn't get the email though. I'll just shoot hotline an email asking about the yellow form and slip in the $40k a year from Wash U and ask about merit aid consideration.

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:18 pm

So for anyone who emailed, did you get a response? :-/

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:41 pm

cngreen wrote:So for anyone who emailed, did you get a response? :-/

I emailed asking about the process (since I wasn't sent an initial e-mail) and I got:
Thank you for your request to be considered for scholarship funding at Georgetown Law. Dean Cornblatt asked me to contact you to give you some information about our scholarship process for this year. We know that financing a law school education can often be challenging. Therefore, our scholarship selection process is our effort to consider holistically - just as we did when we reviewed your application for admission - all requests for scholarship assistance. Please know that your request will be given every consideration.

To give you an idea of this year's timeline, the Scholarship Committee plans to initially consider files between now and around the end of February. We hope to make our initial scholarship awards via email beginning the first week of March. For those admitted students who are offered merit scholarship awards, the response deadline will be mid-April.

There is nothing additional that you need to submit at this time. However, along with your original application for admission, the Scholarship Committee is happy to consider any updates to your application including whether you are submitting a financial aid application, and, if you feel comfortable sharing, your current options and the amounts of any other relevant merit scholarships you have been offered.

You should note that scholarships awarded through this process are just one part of what should be an overall approach to financing your Georgetown education. We strongly encourage you to apply for need-based assistance through the Financial Aid Office (http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/) and to research other options for funding.

If you have any questions at all about scholarships or anything else, please contact us at hotline@law.georgetown.edu. Congratulations again on your admission, and I hope to see you at one of our admitted students events soon.

Not quite the same e-mail as the initial wave, doesn't sound as promising :?

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 4:56 pm

mel2010 wrote:
cngreen wrote:So for anyone who emailed, did you get a response? :-/

I emailed asking about the process (since I wasn't sent an initial e-mail) and I got:
Thank you for your request to be considered for scholarship funding at Georgetown Law. Dean Cornblatt asked me to contact you to give you some information about our scholarship process for this year. We know that financing a law school education can often be challenging. Therefore, our scholarship selection process is our effort to consider holistically - just as we did when we reviewed your application for admission - all requests for scholarship assistance. Please know that your request will be given every consideration.

To give you an idea of this year's timeline, the Scholarship Committee plans to initially consider files between now and around the end of February. We hope to make our initial scholarship awards via email beginning the first week of March. For those admitted students who are offered merit scholarship awards, the response deadline will be mid-April.

There is nothing additional that you need to submit at this time. However, along with your original application for admission, the Scholarship Committee is happy to consider any updates to your application including whether you are submitting a financial aid application, and, if you feel comfortable sharing, your current options and the amounts of any other relevant merit scholarships you have been offered.

You should note that scholarships awarded through this process are just one part of what should be an overall approach to financing your Georgetown education. We strongly encourage you to apply for need-based assistance through the Financial Aid Office (http://www.law.georgetown.edu/finaid/) and to research other options for funding.

If you have any questions at all about scholarships or anything else, please contact us at hotline@law.georgetown.edu. Congratulations again on your admission, and I hope to see you at one of our admitted students events soon.

Not quite the same e-mail as the initial wave, doesn't sound as promising :?

Thanks for posting this- I emailed the hotline and got an immediate response from financial aid and was forwarded to merit stuff, but they haven't given me a merit response yet.

I'm also wondering about a WUSTL $$$$'s effect on them.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:00 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I'm also wondering about a WUSTL $$$$'s effect on them.

They do ask you to update them with other options/offers; maybe you could phrase it along the lines of "obviously I'd prefer being at Georgetown, but $$$$ from WUSTL is making it a tough decision in my circumstances" and see if they throw you a bone. Good luck!

Dany

Postby Dany » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:06 pm

I didn't know what to say in my email back because the only scholarship I have so far is from a safety school. The other schools I have gotten into haven't given out scholarship info yet. Oh well.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:07 pm

eskimo wrote:I didn't know what to say in my email back because the only scholarship I have so far is from a safety school. The other schools I have gotten into haven't given out scholarship info yet. Oh well.

That's what you get for only applying to top schools and a safety!

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:09 pm

If I have full-tuition scholarships to UIUC and UMN, should I tell GULC? Do you think they will care?

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:10 pm

BarnabeSpooge wrote:If I have full-tuition scholarships to UIUC and UMN, should I tell GULC? Do you think they will care?

Can't hurt. They're unlikely to think "we've gotta match this!" but just maybe they'll say "how much can we give him to keep him interested?"

coug11

Postby coug11 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:11 pm

eskimo wrote:I didn't know what to say in my email back because the only scholarship I have so far is from a safety school. The other schools I have gotten into haven't given out scholarship info yet. Oh well.

I told them my acceptances and just said that I have not heard about scholarships from them yet because they have not begun awarding aid, like GULC.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 5:55 pm

I just booked my ticket to DC for the ASW in March. Anyone have suggestions for a hotel? Looks like it's gonna be spendy wherever I go.

granger

Postby granger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:05 pm

Hey guys. I was just able to generate my user name and password to the admitted students' site, only the login info doesn't work. I mean I'm guessing that means I'm in, in which case I'm really effing thrilled, but I want to see if anyone has had a similar experience. Thanks for any help!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:06 pm

granger wrote:Hey guys. I was just able to generate my user name and password to the admitted students' site, only the login info doesn't work. I mean I'm guessing that means I'm in, in which case I'm really effing thrilled, but I want to see if anyone has had a similar experience. Thanks for any help!

You're in, congrats!

granger

Postby granger » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:06 pm

AHHHH ok thank you!!!

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 6:07 pm

Just to elaborate, this has been the case for everyone who has been admitted. No one has been able to generate a username/password from the website who did not eventually receive a formal acceptance letter.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Mon Feb 14, 2011 9:02 pm

I started a thread for the March ASW:

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=147654

shnoop

Postby shnoop » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:34 pm

has anyone who has been admitted gone through the Group interview?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”