IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Marionberry

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Marionberry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 10:35 am

hipstermafia wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Are there any crews that already have the territory around the law school claimed? If not, do you guys wanna set up shop?

NO, AND YES!

we'll be the real tls mafia

And we can do our own defense work!

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:32 pm

masterthearts wrote:WILL definitely live in student housing. Trying to figure out if I should take a single or have a double with a room mate. I have had it both ways in college, but don't know which way to go for gulc. I'm afraid the work will be intense and I might be better off by myself. What are you guys doing?

You have your own individual bedroom, so I don't feel studying would be too difficult...even during exam week, just barricade yourself in your room. Living on campus for 1L would seem to eliminate stress in my opinion.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Thu Feb 10, 2011 3:46 pm

Marionberry wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Are there any crews that already have the territory around the law school claimed? If not, do you guys wanna set up shop?

NO, AND YES!

we'll be the real tls mafia

And we can do our own defense work!

Haha, criminal charges will never stick if we amalgamate our legal minds. Infamy has to be liberating.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 6:16 pm

So I just got the scholarship consideration email, what do people think about letting them know that you are submitting a need app? Would this reduce the amount of merit they offer?

spaceman82

Postby spaceman82 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 11:15 pm

awilson11 wrote:So I just got the scholarship consideration email, what do people think about letting them know that you are submitting a need app? Would this reduce the amount of merit they offer?

I am wondering about this as well, but am probably going to be sending out an e-mail letting them know that I'm applying within the next week or two anyway. I'm holding off for the moment, however, because I'm having some trouble getting all of the information I need for NeedAccess (GULC does require us to fill this out, correct?) and am also hoping to hear back from a few schools about admissions and/or scholarships in the meantime so that I can mention them in the e-mail as well.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Fri Feb 11, 2011 12:55 am

spaceman82 wrote:
awilson11 wrote:So I just got the scholarship consideration email, what do people think about letting them know that you are submitting a need app? Would this reduce the amount of merit they offer?

I am wondering about this as well, but am probably going to be sending out an e-mail letting them know that I'm applying within the next week or two anyway. I'm holding off for the moment, however, because I'm having some trouble getting all of the information I need for NeedAccess (GULC does require us to fill this out, correct?) and am also hoping to hear back from a few schools about admissions and/or scholarships in the meantime so that I can mention them in the e-mail as well.

You can substitute CSS Profile if you want, but they prefer NeedAccess. Think you can negotiate need based scholarships against various schools?

Dany

Postby Dany » Sat Feb 12, 2011 2:31 am

I got the scholarship email, and sent them back a brief one saying I'd like to be considered and that I had already submitted my FAFSA and NeedAccess.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:23 pm

Wait, I am four days behind to post here, because I don't often check the Georgetown thread, but I just read it and realized that merit scholarship consideration emails went out on Wednesday. I didn't get one (171/3.69) and I am sad. It could be that they didn't really think I would go to GULC, but considering that I am from/my family lives in DC, I'm not sure why they thought that. Sad face.

mel2010

Postby mel2010 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:34 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:Wait, I am four days behind to post here, because I don't often check the Georgetown thread, but I just read it and realized that merit scholarship consideration emails went out on Wednesday. I didn't get one (171/3.69) and I am sad. It could be that they didn't really think I would go to GULC, but considering that I am from/my family lives in DC, I'm not sure why they thought that. Sad face.

I didn't get the e-mail, and at least one person with numbers around mine did so I don't think they necessarily think I'm going elsewhere...I also drove 7 hours to go to their ASW a couple weeks back :(

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Sat Feb 12, 2011 6:58 pm

Don't get down quite yet, wait until April to start getting anxious about scholarship information from Georgetown.

Excellence = a Habit

Postby Excellence = a Habit » Sat Feb 12, 2011 7:11 pm

mel2010 wrote:
Excellence = a Habit wrote:Wait, I am four days behind to post here, because I don't often check the Georgetown thread, but I just read it and realized that merit scholarship consideration emails went out on Wednesday. I didn't get one (171/3.69) and I am sad. It could be that they didn't really think I would go to GULC, but considering that I am from/my family lives in DC, I'm not sure why they thought that. Sad face.

I didn't get the e-mail, and at least one person with numbers around mine did so I don't think they necessarily think I'm going elsewhere...I also drove 7 hours to go to their ASW a couple weeks back :(

Oh man, that's really lame! Sorry mel.

InvictusFortis wrote:Don't get down quite yet, wait until April to start getting anxious about scholarship information from Georgetown.

Why? Do they usually do multiple rounds?

coug11

Postby coug11 » Sat Feb 12, 2011 10:08 pm

Excellence = a Habit wrote:
mel2010 wrote:

Oh man, that's really lame! Sorry mel.

InvictusFortis wrote:Don't get down quite yet, wait until April to start getting anxious about scholarship information from Georgetown.

Why? Do they usually do multiple rounds?

I e-mailed them and they sent me the scholarship e-mail.

spaceman82

Postby spaceman82 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 2:38 am

Arbiter213 wrote:
spaceman82 wrote:

You can substitute CSS Profile if you want, but they prefer NeedAccess. Think you can negotiate need based scholarships against various schools?

Ah, sorry, I just meant I was going to let them know about any merit-based scholarship I happened to get (it's not looking good for me on that front at the moment, though) in the same e-mail that I let them know that I would be applying for need-based aid in. I doubt need-based aid is negotiable, though.

pereira6

Postby pereira6 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:44 am

coug11 wrote:I e-mailed them and they sent me the scholarship e-mail.

In response to your e-mail? Or coincidentally?

pereira6 + GULC + 200k debt = no thanks.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Mon Feb 14, 2011 10:51 am

Did anyone get a response email telling you that they got your email? I asked for one and they never sent it.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Mon Feb 14, 2011 11:41 am

i started a thread for part-timers in case that applies to any of you:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=147287

right now the part-time class is looking pretty grim :|

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:00 pm

hipstermafia wrote:i started a thread for part-timers in case that applies to any of you:

viewtopic.php?f=7&t=147287

right now the part-time class is looking pretty grim :|

lol part-timers

<3<3

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:07 pm

Has anyone here applied to the Global Law Scholars program? If so, heard any news?

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:14 pm

mr_toad wrote:Has anyone here applied to the Global Law Scholars program? If so, heard any news?

Or Public Interest Law Scholars?

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:34 pm

Re: Scholarships.

I spoke with the scholarship coordinator this morning and she said that they had only begun to look at files on Friday. The email that was sent out was meant to gauge interest in GULC. The Committee, of course, didn't want to waste its time with anyone who was already planning on withdrawing. She said the email did manage to weed out a few students.

No comment on how long the committee takes on decisions.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:41 pm

cngreen wrote:Re: Scholarships.

I spoke with the scholarship coordinator this morning and she said that they had only begun to look at files on Friday. The email that was sent out was meant to gauge interest in GULC. The Committee, of course, didn't want to waste its time with anyone who was already planning on withdrawing. She said the email did manage to weed out a few students.

This is very useful information, thanks for this. :)

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:44 pm

cngreen wrote:Re: Scholarships.

I assume this is for general merit-scholarships rather than PILS or the Global Law Scholars programs?

cngreen

Postby cngreen » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:45 pm

Yes, general merit. Pretty sure separate committees look over the PILS and Global Law programs.

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:51 pm

And there are (I believe) no scholarships directly associated with the Global Law Scholars program as opposed to the PILS (unfortunately!).

mr_toad

Postby mr_toad » Mon Feb 14, 2011 12:52 pm

Oh, yeah, has anyone noticed if the yellow form is finally available? Thanks! I hate digging up my stupid randomly generated user crap to log in and check... but if you happen to know offhand, I'd appreciate it.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”