IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
WarioLaw
Posts: 138
Joined: Thu Jan 06, 2011 11:10 am

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby WarioLaw » Wed Feb 09, 2011 9:59 pm

Got the email with a 173, 3.8. I found it interesting writing an email saying I was still interested considering I only found out that I had been admitted 2 days ago.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:00 pm

santoinettea wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
santoinettea wrote:I just got the email also. Thank God someone is mentioning money. : ) My stats are 167 and 3.77.


URM? Because if not I'm confused.


This, though I wasn't gonna say it.


Haha thanks, guys. (Because scoring in the 95th percentile on the LSAT, graduating with honors from Berkeley, and editing for an undergraduate journal is not good enough to be considered for a scholarship...) But to answer your question, yes, I'm Chilean.


It isn't when equivalent softs and a better LSAT score aren't was my point, all other things being equal. Didn't mean to diminish your accomplishments.

SirWilliam1022
Posts: 147
Joined: Fri Nov 26, 2010 2:04 am

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby SirWilliam1022 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:06 pm

Haha thanks, guys. (Because scoring in the 95th percentile on the LSAT, graduating with honors from Berkeley, and editing for an undergraduate journal is not good enough to be considered for a scholarship...) But to answer your question, yes, I'm Chilean.[/quote][/quote]



Yes, unfortunately people on TLS, including myself, have been involved with the admissions process long enough to be jaded into the reality that schools care primarily about what they can report to USNWR (with some exceptions) rather than the actual qualifications of an applicant. If two applicants are numerically equivalent then softs come into play. On the scale of reality, it sounds like you are more qualified and will perform better in law school than those less engaged who may have higher LSAT scores and even GPAs (althouhg your GPA is stellar too). It is just an unfortunate reality about the admissions process especially for the larger schools like Georgetown who make an attempt to go through every file, but can realistically only be so thorough with over 10,000 apps each year. Best of luck.

User avatar
santoinettea
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby santoinettea » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:31 pm

.
Last edited by santoinettea on Wed Sep 07, 2011 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:44 pm

santoinettea wrote:I understand where you're coming from; I just don't understand why you immediately (i.e., without asking about my softs or resume) jumped to URM.

because of this (gulc lsn for 167 and below and 3.8 and below):

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

i don't mean to diminish your accomplishments either, but very few people get into georgetown with those stats, and most who do are urms.

jcn4
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby jcn4 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:51 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
santoinettea wrote:I understand where you're coming from; I just don't understand why you immediately (i.e., without asking about my softs or resume) jumped to URM.

because of this (gulc lsn for 167 and below and 3.8 and below):

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

i don't mean to diminish your accomplishments either, but very few people get into georgetown with those stats, and most who do are urms.


Huh? Every single person with a 169 on LSN got in with a 3.69 or above. I don't think it's odd that a 167 would get in with a 3.77, URM or not. (If you look at LSN, 2 other non-URMs got in with the exact same LSAT and the same GPA +/- .01.)

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 10:55 pm

jcn4 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
santoinettea wrote:I understand where you're coming from; I just don't understand why you immediately (i.e., without asking about my softs or resume) jumped to URM.

because of this (gulc lsn for 167 and below and 3.8 and below):

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

i don't mean to diminish your accomplishments either, but very few people get into georgetown with those stats, and most who do are urms.


Huh? Every single person with a 169 on LSN got in with a 3.69 or above. I don't think it's odd that a 167 would get in with a 3.77, URM or not. (If you look at LSN, 2 other non-URMs got in with the exact same LSAT and the same GPA +/- .01.)


The main point was scholarship consideration. I jumped to URM because you'd have had to have been a Rhodes scholar or cured cancer, and since there are a LOT more URM's than cancer curing rhodes scholars, it was a better guess.

jcn4
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby jcn4 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:04 pm

You'd have to be a Rhodes Scholar to get an email saying you may be considered for merit funding? Doubtful. Also Chilean is likely not considered URM.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:05 pm

jcn4 wrote:You'd have to be a Rhodes Scholar to get an email saying you may be considered for merit funding? Doubtful. Also Chilean is likely not considered URM.


There is a boost for other hispanic, it's just not directly comparable to AA, NA or MA/PR.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm

jcn4 wrote:Huh? Every single person with a 169 on LSN got in with a 3.69 or above. I don't think it's odd that a 167 would get in with a 3.77, URM or not. (If you look at LSN, 2 other non-URMs got in with the exact same LSAT and the same GPA +/- .01.)

22 accepts, 8 WL, and 72 denials (if i counted right)

of the 22 accepts: 15/22 indicate urm status, of the 7 that did not indicate urm status - 1 was ED and 2 are NT
of the 8 wl: 6/8 indicate urm status

i've bet on wayyy worse odds.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm

jcn4 wrote:You'd have to be a Rhodes Scholar to get an email saying you may be considered for merit funding? Doubtful. Also Chilean is likely not considered URM.


To get the email with those stats... jeeze, do try to follow along here.

User avatar
santoinettea
Posts: 127
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 10:04 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby santoinettea » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:17 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
jcn4 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
santoinettea wrote:I understand where you're coming from; I just don't understand why you immediately (i.e., without asking about my softs or resume) jumped to URM.

because of this (gulc lsn for 167 and below and 3.8 and below):

http://gulc.lawschoolnumbers.com/applic ... ,8&type=jd

i don't mean to diminish your accomplishments either, but very few people get into georgetown with those stats, and most who do are urms.


Huh? Every single person with a 169 on LSN got in with a 3.69 or above. I don't think it's odd that a 167 would get in with a 3.77, URM or not. (If you look at LSN, 2 other non-URMs got in with the exact same LSAT and the same GPA +/- .01.)


The main point was scholarship consideration. I jumped to URM because you'd have had to have been a Rhodes scholar or cured cancer, and since there are a LOT more URM's than cancer curing rhodes scholars, it was a better guess.


Wait, you think that I would have had to cure cancer or been a Rhodes Scholar (to compensate for missing 3 more questions than the 170s) to be CONSIDERED for a scholarship? That's ridiculous. Especially in the case of scholarship consideration, it would make sense that they evaluate softs, resumes, and interviews (if people went on them), which is why I think you should've asked about that.

I'm not naive; I realize that URM might play into some consideration at some point (not saying that it has). But for you to be "confused" by me being considered for a scholarship, without even asking about my other qualitifications, is insulting.

Thanks to the people who have recognized that people with my stats have gotten into Georgetown (URM or not).

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:20 pm

arb wasn't confused she was just asking if you were a urm, jeeeez. everyone chill the eff out.

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 pm

hipstermafia wrote:arb wasn't confused she was just asking if you were a urm, jeeeez. everyone chill the eff out.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:22 pm

Pretty sure Arbiter was using hyperbole, pretty sure Santo needs to calm down, and 100% sure I love hipstermafia. <3

jcn4
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby jcn4 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
jcn4 wrote:Huh? Every single person with a 169 on LSN got in with a 3.69 or above. I don't think it's odd that a 167 would get in with a 3.77, URM or not. (If you look at LSN, 2 other non-URMs got in with the exact same LSAT and the same GPA +/- .01.)

22 accepts, 8 WL, and 72 denials (if i counted right)

of the 22 accepts: 15/22 indicate urm status, of the 7 that did not indicate urm status - 1 was ED and 2 are NT
of the 8 wl: 6/8 indicate urm status

i've bet on wayyy worse odds.


I have no idea what those stats refer to. I said that everyone with a 169 got in with a 3.69+ on LSN. Are you disputing that?

It's not a surprise that 167/3.77 is GULC material. Getting an email saying you're considered for a scholarship is really not that surprising for anyone who was accepted. If they have good softs it's no mystery at all. Implying otherwise is sour grapes.

arb wasn't confused she was just asking if you were a urm, jeeeez. everyone chill the eff out.


Uh:

URM? Because if not I'm confused.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:23 pm

oops, except that you're a dude. sorry arb!!!

User avatar
Arbiter213
Posts: 2249
Joined: Mon Oct 11, 2010 10:16 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:24 pm

hipstermafia wrote:oops, except that you're a dude. sorry arb!!!


It's ok. I'm a pretty womanly dude.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:25 pm

jcn4 wrote:I have no idea what those stats refer to. I said that everyone with a 169 got in with a 3.69+ on LSN. Are you disputing that?

the stats refer to the lsn link i posted in the previous post.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:26 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:oops, except that you're a dude. sorry arb!!!


It's ok. I'm a pretty womanly dude.

:lol:

jcn4
Posts: 51
Joined: Mon Jan 31, 2011 12:41 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby jcn4 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:27 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
jcn4 wrote:I have no idea what those stats refer to. I said that everyone with a 169 got in with a 3.69+ on LSN. Are you disputing that?

the stats refer to the lsn link i posted in the previous post.


Ah, so you are equating 3.77 to 3.8 or below... Great reasoning there.

bdubs
Posts: 3729
Joined: Sat Feb 06, 2010 2:23 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:28 pm

jcn4 wrote:It's not a surprise that 167/3.77 is GULC material. Getting an email saying you're considered for a scholarship is really not that surprising for anyone who was accepted. If they have good softs it's no mystery at all. Implying otherwise is sour grapes.


I think more people are surprised by who did NOT get a scholarship email who have great softs. Entchen already has a Darrow from Michigan and didn't get an invite.

It seems like there was a clear statistical combination which generated that e-mail, those with GPAs or LSATs that were "too low" were excluded unless they were URM of some sort.

User avatar
Dany
Posts: 11580
Joined: Mon Sep 28, 2009 3:00 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby Dany » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:29 pm

jcn4 wrote:Ah, so you are equating 3.77 to 3.8 or below... Great reasoning there.

LOL.

It gets better the more you read it.

User avatar
hipstermafia
Posts: 1053
Joined: Thu Sep 16, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 pm

jcn4 wrote:Ah, so you are equating 3.77 to 3.8 or below... Great reasoning there.

i am in no way equating a 3.77 to a 3.8, the data i linked to is gulc lsn data of 3.8 and below coupled with 167 and below... just like the post says.

there is a relatively simple search function on lsn if you're interested in the specific data of any other gpa/lsat combo.

i love data!

User avatar
law_monkey
Posts: 1709
Joined: Sun Nov 28, 2010 5:25 pm

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 11:31 pm

bdubs wrote:
jcn4 wrote:It's not a surprise that 167/3.77 is GULC material. Getting an email saying you're considered for a scholarship is really not that surprising for anyone who was accepted. If they have good softs it's no mystery at all. Implying otherwise is sour grapes.


I think more people are surprised by who did NOT get a scholarship app who have great softs. Entchen already has a Darrow from Michigan and didn't get an invite.

It seems like there was a clear statistical combination which generated that e-mail, those with GPAs or LSATs that were "too low" were excluded unless they were URM of some sort.


I think I just said this in the normal waiting thread, so I'll suggest it here too. It's also possible that there's some schollies targeted specifically for URMs. Some of the other T14s have those. Since the email didn't mention any particular scholarships we have no idea what their qualifications are. There could be some numbers based ones and others meant for minorities or people with certain softs.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: uhwrestler and 9 guests