IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
awilson11

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:28 pm

Marionberry wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:
CM612 wrote:Same for me. Right now it's the best school that I've been accepted to and I know I'll be really happy with my cycle even if I don't end up getting into any of the other t14.

I'm surprised most people are set on these rankings. Personally, I find the "t14" rankings arbitrary.

The USNWR rankings are a flawed metric in many respects, but the distinction between the Top 14 schools and the rest w/r/t placement ability and prestige is a significant one. Although, Vandy has in recent years had placement comparable with the lower T14, this is largely made possible by its small class size and it is still somewhat regional.

Looking at the data of where some of the t14 place, it doesn't really even seem like all of them are "national," at least not to the extent that they are different that UT, Vanderbilt or UCLA.

bleedblue

Postby bleedblue » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:30 pm

awilson11 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:
CM612 wrote:Same for me. Right now it's the best school that I've been accepted to and I know I'll be really happy with my cycle even if I don't end up getting into any of the other t14.

I'm surprised most people are set on these rankings. Personally, I find the "t14" rankings arbitrary.

The USNWR rankings are a flawed metric in many respects, but the distinction between the Top 14 schools and the rest w/r/t placement ability and prestige is a significant one. Although, Vandy has in recent years had placement comparable with the lower T14, this is largely made possible by its small class size and it is still somewhat regional.

Looking at the data of where some of the t14 place, it doesn't really even seem like all of them are "national," at least not to the extent that they are different that UT, Vanderbilt or UCLA.

Agreed. UT places pretty well in clerkships and has a high number of national firms at OCI. Plus most major firms have branches in Houston, Dallas, and Austin which love UT grads so you could always work into a firm in Texas and transfer to NY, DC, Chi, LA, etc. later.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:31 pm

Marionberry wrote:The USNWR rankings are a flawed metric in many respects, but the distinction between the Top 14 schools and the rest w/r/t placement ability and prestige is a significant one. Although, Vandy has in recent years had placement comparable with the lower T14, this is largely made possible by its small class size and it is still somewhat regional.

I agree with a prestige distinction, but why 14 is beyond me. Mainly, I was referring to rankings within the t14, not outside. I understand Yale, Harvard and Stanford...but beyond that I feel it is arbitrary. For instance, I wouldn't attend Cornell over GULC to graduate from #13 over #14.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:32 pm

bleedblue wrote:Agreed. UT places pretty well in clerkships and has a high number of national firms at OCI. Plus most major firms have branches in Houston, Dallas, and Austin which love UT grads so you could always work into a firm in Texas and transfer to NY, DC, Chi, LA, etc. later.

+1. I've had several friends graduate from UT and actually move straight into Vault20 firms in NYC.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:34 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
Marionberry wrote:The USNWR rankings are a flawed metric in many respects, but the distinction between the Top 14 schools and the rest w/r/t placement ability and prestige is a significant one. Although, Vandy has in recent years had placement comparable with the lower T14, this is largely made possible by its small class size and it is still somewhat regional.

I agree with a prestige distinction, but why 14 is beyond me. Mainly, I was referring to rankings within the t14, not outside. I understand Yale, Harvard and Stanford...but beyond that I feel it is arbitrary. For instance, I wouldn't attend Cornell over GULC to graduate from #13 over #14.

It's a matter of degrees, almost everyone here would attend Columbia over GULC because it offers many advantages. Cornell has had a slightly easier time placing grads than Georgetown because of its size and location. The differences between GULC and Cornell are small, but the differences between them and Columbia are large.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:37 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:

Agreed. Top 14 is just because there has been historically little movement in or out within the top 14 (I think its like 20 years or something). Within it, they seem to operate in a smaller tiered structure, hence the HYS, CCN, and MVP acronyms around here.

And to be honest, without money, I'll probably turn down GULC for Texas or Vandy

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:39 pm

awilson11 wrote:Looking at the data of where some of the t14 place, it doesn't really even seem like all of them are "national," at least not to the extent that they are different that UT, Vanderbilt or UCLA.

Those schools place very well, but it's largely within their home markets to the best of my knowledge. A GULC grad is gonna do much better in Texas than a Texas grad will do on the east coast, in spite of only being one ranking apart. I would agree with the point that within the T14, while all the schools are certainly not comparable, that ranking becomes a little less meaningful. People look at the USNWR ranking as an absolute measure of what schools is better than others, which is stupid. To say that NU is inarguably a better school that Cornell is kind of silly, and a lot of it depends on what peoples priorities are.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:44 pm

Marionberry wrote:
awilson11 wrote:Looking at the data of where some of the t14 place, it doesn't really even seem like all of them are "national," at least not to the extent that they are different that UT, Vanderbilt or UCLA.

Those schools place very well, but it's largely within their home markets to the best of my knowledge. A GULC grad is gonna do much better in Texas than a Texas grad will do on the east coast, in spite of only being one ranking apart. I would agree with the point that within the T14, while all the schools are certainly not comparable, that ranking becomes a little less meaningful. People look at the USNWR ranking as an absolute measure of what schools is better than others, which is stupid. To say that NU is inarguably a better school that Cornell is kind of silly, and a lot of it depends on what peoples priorities are.

Vanderbilt in particular seems to place as well or better nationally than some of the t14. And I would agree with your comparison of GULC in Texas vs UT in DC, but to me that seems more a function that there are so many good law schools nearby that place well in DC, whereas in Texas, UT is the only thing close to a t14 in the state.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:47 pm

awilson11 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Vanderbilt in particular seems to place as well or better nationally than some of the t14. And I would agree with your comparison of GULC in Texas vs UT in DC, but to me that seems more a function that there are so many good law schools nearby that place well in DC, whereas in Texas, UT is the only thing close to a t14 in the state.

That is a good point. Truthfully, I don't know how much of a difference there really is between T14 and 15-18, besides national name recognition. Texas was my first choice, but they dinged me and GULC let me in so there may be a little bit of a resentment clouding my judgement... :evil:

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:49 pm

Marionberry wrote:
awilson11 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

That is a good point. Truthfully, I don't know how much of a difference there really is between T14 and 15-18, besides national name recognition. Texas was my first choice, but they dinged me and GULC let me in so there may be a little bit of a resentment clouding my judgement... :evil:

Fair enough. Texas is (so far) my only $$ so I am a little biased the other way. GULC would be great too though. Have you been out there? I worked a few blocks from the campus summer after my first year in college.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:52 pm

awilson11 wrote:Fair enough. Texas is (so far) my only $$ so I am a little biased the other way. GULC would be great too though. Have you been out there? I worked a few blocks from the campus summer after my first year in college.

To Texas or DC? I'm going out to DC for the ASW in March, though I did ED so I'm already locked it. For me it would have come down to GULC or SMU/UH, and I don't know how much money if any I would have gotten from either of those. All things considered, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:54 pm

Marionberry wrote:
awilson11 wrote:Fair enough. Texas is (so far) my only $$ so I am a little biased the other way. GULC would be great too though. Have you been out there? I worked a few blocks from the campus summer after my first year in college.

To Texas or DC? I'm going out to DC for the ASW in March, though I did ED so I'm already locked it. For me it would have come down to GULC or SMU/UH, and I don't know how much money if any I would have gotten from either of those. All things considered, I'm pretty happy with how things turned out.

I meant DC. I worked fairly close to the law center, not sure if it would be too easy to walk, but it was definitely only one or two stops later on the metro.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:58 pm

I love GULC for so many, many reasons, but I'm having trouble seeing how GULC at sticker makes more sense than either Cornell at Sticker or WUSTL w/ $$$$. :? I need to do some serious placement research. My visits can't come soon enough.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:02 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I love GULC for so many, many reasons, but I'm having trouble seeing how GULC at sticker makes more sense than either Cornell at Sticker or WUSTL w/ $$$$. :? I need to do some serious placement research. My visits can't come soon enough.

I think GULC and Cornell have pretty similar placement stats. I think a lot of the difference comes down to whether or not you want NYC and how much interest you have in PI.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:I love GULC for so many, many reasons, but I'm having trouble seeing how GULC at sticker makes more sense than either Cornell at Sticker or WUSTL w/ $$$$. :? I need to do some serious placement research. My visits can't come soon enough.

I will not pay sticker for anyone unless I somehow get into NYU. Even then I would consider $$ elsewhere.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Marionberry wrote:

I think GULC and Cornell have pretty similar placement stats. I think a lot of the difference comes down to whether or not you want NYC and how much interest you have in PI.

I want NYC and I have almost no interest in PI work. Where does that leave me?

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Cornell sounds like a much better choice in that case, though I'm no expert.

CM612

Postby CM612 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:05 pm

Marionberry wrote:

The locations of GULC and Cornell would play a major part in that decision for me. Nature makes me claustrophobic. I'm a serious city girl and I can't even handle the idea of spending 3 years in Ithaca. I'm sure lots of people feel the other way and would rather die than live in a big city. Also, Ithaca is freezing. I feel like the two are so close it will probably come down to personal preference choices.

Arbiter213

Postby Arbiter213 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:06 pm

Marionberry wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Cornell sounds like a much better choice in that case, though I'm no expert.

I'll have to think about this alot :/ Curriculum B and the stellar health law program at GULC make me love it (plus makes some personal things much, much simpler), but Cornell has certain obvious advantages.

And my jewish heritage makes me wince at potentially turning down $120,000 of free money.

And yah- I definitely do NOT look forward to weather in Ithaca- it's -5 here now, and I'm flying to UCLA in part just as an excuse to get warm.

alicen

Postby alicen » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:11 pm

sorry if this has been brought up already somewhere in this thread - but did anyone else get an email about being under consideration for a merit scholarship? just curious how many people get this email (how much it means)...

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:13 pm

alicen wrote:sorry if this has been brought up already somewhere in this thread - but did anyone else get an email about being under consideration for a merit scholarship? just curious how many people get this email (how much it means)...

I just did a few minutes ago...and am also curious. congrats! :)
However, i've heard that georgetown doesn't usually offer much merit aid :| . Let's just hope this year is different. haha
Last edited by gatorgirl4life on Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:15 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:
alicen wrote:sorry if this has been brought up already somewhere in this thread - but did anyone else get an email about being under consideration for a merit scholarship? just curious how many people get this email (how much it means)...

I haven't yet, and I emailed them about info on merit scholarships.

eaa1537

Postby eaa1537 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:15 pm

gatorgirl4life wrote:

Just got one too. I thought Georgetown was stingy with its money?

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:16 pm

eaa1537 wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:

Also just got this--replying to it now. Yellow form isn't up on GULC's ASW yet, is it?

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 5:21 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:
eaa1537 wrote:
gatorgirl4life wrote:

Also just got this--replying to it now. Yellow form isn't up on GULC's ASW yet, is it?

I also just got one. Since I don't have stellar numbers for Georgetown I'm assuming this is a pretty common email.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”