IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
bdubs

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby bdubs » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:15 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:haven't gotten my package yet... haven't gotten anything from GT since I was accepted, so they keep dropping off of my radar.

Is there a package? I was under the impression that they don't send anything except the letter and the xmas card... which is disappointing

There was a rather lame packet with a few brochures in it (faculty profiles, public interest) and a generic letter.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:16 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
sarahlawg wrote:haven't gotten my package yet... haven't gotten anything from GT since I was accepted, so they keep dropping off of my radar.

Is there a package? I was under the impression that they don't send anything except the letter and the xmas card... which is disappointing

I got a package the other day from them (well more like a large envelope) with faculty profiles in it.

sarahlawg

Postby sarahlawg » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:20 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:

I got a package the other day from them (well more like a large envelope) with faculty profiles in it.

yeah, this is it.

masterthearts

Postby masterthearts » Tue Feb 01, 2011 9:48 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:

There is another package with the bios of the profs. At some point I would think there needs to be a packet with housing information,etc. But, didn't get it yet

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Wed Feb 02, 2011 12:22 pm

masterthearts wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:

There is another package with the bios of the profs. At some point I would think there needs to be a packet with housing information,etc. But, didn't get it yet

I got it yesterday. Postmarked the 31st (I live in DC). So they are apparently sending them in bunches.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 4:55 pm

I got it yesterday. Postmarked the 31st (I live in DC). So they are apparently sending them in bunches.[/quote]
Georgetown should get going on sending out more info on the school and reasons for going there. I have heard from people that the UT packet was underwhelming (its the only one I have gotten besides GULC), but I thought it blew Georgetown's out of the water. Info on where different grads were working, list of grads with clerkships, etc. Maybe regularly send out new info?

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:04 pm

awilson11 wrote:Georgetown should get going on sending out more info on the school and reasons for going there. I have heard from people that the UT packet was underwhelming (its the only one I have gotten besides GULC), but I thought it blew Georgetown's out of the water. Info on where different grads were working, list of grads with clerkships, etc. Maybe regularly send out new info?

It seems like schools vastly differ in the amount of information they send. For example, I'm pretty sure the planet lost 3 trees just to make a vanderbilt package.

I'm sure there are people that feel differently than I do, but I actually appreciate it when schools don't send me information in the mail that I can easily find online. Saves the trees and less clutter in my mailbox! Of course, if it's information that I somehow can't find online then I suppose it's fine to send it via mail. Tons of mail just seems silly to me in this digital age.

awilson11

Postby awilson11 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:07 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
awilson11 wrote:Georgetown should get going on sending out more info on the school and reasons for going there. I have heard from people that the UT packet was underwhelming (its the only one I have gotten besides GULC), but I thought it blew Georgetown's out of the water. Info on where different grads were working, list of grads with clerkships, etc. Maybe regularly send out new info?

It seems like schools vastly differ in the amount of information they send. For example, I'm pretty sure the planet lost 3 trees just to make a vanderbilt package.

I'm sure there are people that feel differently than I do, but I actually appreciate it when schools don't send me information in the mail that I can easily find online. Saves the trees and less clutter in my mailbox! Of course, if it's information that I somehow can't find online then I suppose it's fine to send it via mail. Tons of mail just seems silly to me in this digital age.

Georgetown's online site doesn't have a ton of great info on it. Plus, I like looking at the physical copies of the information. Also, if you are going to do all digital, I would appreciate clear directions towards what you are not sending me in the mail.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Wed Feb 02, 2011 5:18 pm

hipstermafia wrote:

I usually have issue with the choice of materials sent, the faculty bios was a complete waste of paper (not just from GULC, but from every school that has sent me one of those) :-)

A well maintained admitted student website is also a huge help. UPenn's admissions director is really good at updating a blog on the admitted student site homepage. It would be great if other schools did this too.

jrose5

Postby jrose5 » Tue Feb 08, 2011 5:44 pm

Hey guys! Congrats on G-Town.

My status checker changed from Complete 1/28 to Complete 2/08... in your experience, is this fast status update indicative of anything??

Thanks. :)

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Tue Feb 08, 2011 6:37 pm

jrose5 wrote:Hey guys! Congrats on G-Town.

My status checker changed from Complete 1/28 to Complete 2/08... in your experience, is this fast status update indicative of anything??

Thanks. :)

No. However, you'll be happy to know that you can join in on the anxiety and hysteria with similar questions in the GULC thread in the acceptances, rejections, waitlists forum.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:19 pm

Has anyone decided and/or leaning toward Georgetown?

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:29 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:Has anyone decided and/or leaning toward Georgetown?

I was 100% set on Gtown yesterday after NYU started my day off right with a rejection email. Then 3 hours later I got a scholly offer in the mail from Duke. So now I'm not sure again. Woof.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:36 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:I was 100% set on Gtown yesterday after NYU started my day off right with a rejection email. Then 3 hours later I got a scholly offer in the mail from Duke. So now I'm not sure again. Woof.

I recieved an acceptance, but no scholarships, to Duke and can offer little advice since money is a factor for me as well. But, my initial thought was not wanting to live in Durham for three years. To each their own! (and I'm sorry to hear about NYU, they do not deserve you)

jpk5372

Postby jpk5372 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:38 pm

I live in DC right now and def see the benefits of going to law school here.....but without money info I literally do not have a clue where I'll be next fall =/

thelaststraw05

Postby thelaststraw05 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:39 pm

jpk5372 wrote:

I live in DC right now and def see the benefits of going to law school here.....but without money info I literally do not have a clue where I'll be next fall =/

+1

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:47 pm

jpk5372 wrote:

I also live in DC-GULC's a great option, but I've lived in/near DC all my life and a change of scenery might not be a bad thing. The $$$ are going to play a big role though.

CM612

Postby CM612 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:51 pm

Definitely leaning towards it. I still have 8 more schools to hear from but I'm expecting a sweep of the t10 waitlists and some not game-changing $$ from the 15-30 range. GULC was my #1 going in but I'm still waiting to see how the rest of the cycle goes before I start planning my move to DC.

LegallyBlonde923

Postby LegallyBlonde923 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 2:52 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:I was 100% set on Gtown yesterday after NYU started my day off right with a rejection email. Then 3 hours later I got a scholly offer in the mail from Duke. So now I'm not sure again. Woof.

I recieved an acceptance, but no scholarships, to Duke and can offer little advice since money is a factor for me as well. But, my initial thought was not wanting to live in Durham for three years. To each their own! (and I'm sorry to hear about NYU, they do not deserve you)

Thanks! I'm just going to try to use the Duke money to get something (anything!) from Gtown since I loved gtown when I visited. And as a Northern city girl I agree about Durham, not my ideal living location.

law_monkey

Postby law_monkey » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:13 pm

Georgetown was my dream law school throughout high school and all through college. But after I realized it would be suicidal to only apply to one school I started researching others, and now it's less of a dream than it used to be. I haven't crossed it off my list yet though.

CM612

Postby CM612 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:17 pm

law_monkey wrote:Georgetown was my dream law school throughout high school and all through college. But after I realized it would be suicidal to only apply to one school I started researching others, and now it's less of a dream than it used to be. I haven't crossed it off my list yet though.

Same for me. Right now it's the best school that I've been accepted to and I know I'll be really happy with my cycle even if I don't end up getting into any of the other t14.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:23 pm

I think the only schools that would trump Georgetown for me is Yale/Harvard/Chicago based on the faculty. I don't want to be in Manhattan until I graduate and refuse to entertain the west coast as an option.

More rural areas like Durham, Ann Arbor, and Cornell are lackluster for someone who has lived in suburbia their whole life.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:40 pm

CM612 wrote:Same for me. Right now it's the best school that I've been accepted to and I know I'll be really happy with my cycle even if I don't end up getting into any of the other t14.

I'm surprised most people are set on these rankings. Personally, I find the "t14" rankings arbitrary.

CM612

Postby CM612 » Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:43 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
CM612 wrote:Same for me. Right now it's the best school that I've been accepted to and I know I'll be really happy with my cycle even if I don't end up getting into any of the other t14.

I'm surprised most people are set on these rankings. Personally, I find the "t14" rankings arbitrary.

Congrats. Most people don't.

Marionberry

Postby Marionberry » Wed Feb 09, 2011 4:22 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:

The USNWR rankings are a flawed metric in many respects, but the distinction between the Top 14 schools and the rest w/r/t placement ability and prestige is a significant one. Although, Vandy has in recent years had placement comparable with the lower T14, this is largely made possible by its small class size and it is still somewhat regional.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”