IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
oxford_don

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby oxford_don » Sun Nov 21, 2010 12:32 pm

In. Found the letter last night when I was stupid drunk. Nice note (I'm 2/2 on acceptance notes--Duke and GULC).

Has anyone received any emails/mailings from Georgetown post acceptance letter?

On scholarships, I think they email out applications in waves during December.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:49 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 am, edited 1 time in total.

whitman

Postby whitman » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:53 pm

If I go, I'm definitely doing it. But I studied a lot of political philosophy, economics, history, etc. in an integrated curriculum in college, so it's right up my alley. I'm also more of a moderate liberal.

nealric

Postby nealric » Mon Nov 22, 2010 3:57 pm

I'm a pretty strong intellectual conservative so my initial reaction is that it's going to be a year of analyzing how the law oppresses people based on gender/race/class/sexual orientation/colonial status and that the entire legal system is a conspiracy by imperialist bourgeoisie white men.

GULC 2010 grad on hand to answer any questions people have.

As far as section 3, I don't think a conservative would necessarily feel out of place, but most conservatives will probably pick the traditional curriculum.

If you take section 3, you will certainly get a decent dose of critical legal studies, which is an explicitly "left" (but not liberal) movement in legal academia. GULC is kind of a bastion of CLS. Their basic critique is not that law explicitly oppresses people (although some certainly do make that argument), but that power structures are necessarily interwoven into legal thought, and that it is impossible to view the law from an objective standpoint. It's basically a rejection of objectivity in the law. That said, you will also get some law and economics exposure, and any dissent you have will be respected as long as you are respectful yourself. It's not a leftist indoctrination camp if that's what you are worried about, and the exams will still require you to do traditional legal analysis.

I suggest you look up some papers by Gary Peller (who is a big section 3 prof) and read trough them for an example of what I'm talking about. You should also look up Duncan Kennedy's article on law school and the reproduction of hierarchy. Section 3 was in part a reaction to the sentiment raised by that article.

Edit: here is the article. http://duncankennedy.net/documents/Phot ... %20Ed..pdf

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 6:56 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:22 am, edited 3 times in total.

dabbadon8

Postby dabbadon8 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:14 pm

seancooksey07 wrote:Right, I think I will ultimately end up just taking the traditional route. I think ultimately the heard of CLS is just postmodernism which I don't find particularly great. But I'm by no means some kind of cutthroat attacker looking to take the B/3 and fight with people every day. More just curious.

In other news, anyone else get an e-mail from AC today? I'll be one of the first to start poking around the Admitted Students site.

I got the email. Definitely will be checking out the site tomorrow.

wackyjack22

Postby wackyjack22 » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:20 pm

dabbadon8 wrote:
seancooksey07 wrote:Right, I think I will ultimately end up just taking the traditional route. I think ultimately the heard of CLS is just postmodernism which I don't find particularly great. But I'm by no means some kind of cutthroat attacker looking to take the B/3 and fight with people every day. More just curious.

In other news, anyone else get an e-mail from AC today? I'll be one of the first to start poking around the Admitted Students site.

I got the email. Definitely will be checking out the site tomorrow.

It looks like the site is up right now. I logged in this afternoon and was looking around. Too bad I'm most interested in finding out about scholarship applications and there is no information on that. Is anyone planning to go to the Early Admitted Students weekend at the end of January? I want to see an art show in DC that closes on Feb 13 so there is a chance I might make the trip and get both of these awesome things done. PM me if you are planning to go.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Mon Nov 22, 2010 9:52 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:21 am, edited 1 time in total.

paulinaporizkova

Postby paulinaporizkova » Mon Nov 22, 2010 11:25 pm

Got my acceptance letter on Saturday as well with a nice lil' handwritten note :) I only applied about 4 weeks ago - why did I hear back so early when I have yet to hear from anywhere else?? I thought getting an acceptance would calm me down a little bit but it's actually made me more nervous.

Does the prospect of possibly moving to DC make anyone else really excited???? Love, A Minnesoootan. (Props to the guy who wrote about being scared of DC winters.)

leopardRAWR

Postby leopardRAWR » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:32 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:Props to the guy who wrote about being scared of DC winters.

Girl, actually :D What can I say? I'm used to studying for winter exams at the pool so it'd be an adjustment haha. I'm planning to go to the January admitted students weekend. Little things like that handwritten note on the acceptance letter are really making me like Georgetown.

nealric

Postby nealric » Tue Nov 23, 2010 12:53 am

I think ultimately the heard of CLS is just postmodernism which I don't find particularly great.

It has some elements of post modernism, but it's not just that. In any event, If you aren't interested in that kind of stuff, don't worry about it. You can take upper division classes in the subject if you become interested later.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:01 am

leopardRAWR wrote:
paulinaporizkova wrote:Props to the guy who wrote about being scared of DC winters.

Girl, actually :D What can I say? I'm used to studying for winter exams at the pool so it'd be an adjustment haha. I'm planning to go to the January admitted students weekend. Little things like that handwritten note on the acceptance letter are really making me like Georgetown.

GULC is the largest school in its tier. Don't want to burst your bubble but if those types of things make you excited GULC may not be a good fit.

From what I have heard it is great if you want lots of options, not so great for personal attention or small intimate feel.

(I live in DC and know a few current and former GULC students)

BarnabeSpooge

Postby BarnabeSpooge » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:03 am

Who is Angela?

Entchen

Postby Entchen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 9:12 am

paulinaporizkova wrote:Does the prospect of possibly moving to DC make anyone else really excited???? Love, A Minnesoootan. (Props to the guy who wrote about being scared of DC winters.)

Nope. The prospect of not having to move does, though :P

DC winters are not wintery at all. Ok, this past year was excellent and really snowy, but that's unusual and I'm assuming we won't have a repeat of that this year.

I'm excited for Jan ASW!

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:25 am

bdubs wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:

GULC is the largest school in its tier. Don't want to burst your bubble but if those types of things make you excited GULC may not be a good fit.

From what I have heard it is great if you want lots of options, not so great for personal attention or small intimate feel.

Go troll some other thread.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Tue Nov 23, 2010 10:28 am

If anyone has questions, theoretically I should be able to answer at least one or two of them.

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Tue Nov 23, 2010 1:37 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 11, 2011 12:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Tue Nov 23, 2010 7:51 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
bdubs wrote:
leopardRAWR wrote:

Go troll some other thread.

Not trolling at all, just pointing out that GULC is different. I am very excited to be joining all of you at ASW in January and Georgetown is definitely high up on my list.

chipchip

Postby chipchip » Tue Nov 23, 2010 11:12 pm

But on the serious side, HOW AM I EXPECTED TO MAKE AN INFORMED DECISION WHEN DEPOSITS ARE DUE FOR SOME SCHOOLS BEFORE FINAID COMES OUT FOR OTHERS?!

GULC's financial packages will be released prior to April if you've sent everything in by then. But just like colleges, don't expect anything before the New Year (I believe that includes scholarships as well).

Muenchen

Postby Muenchen » Wed Nov 24, 2010 2:28 pm

Last edited by Muenchen on Thu Aug 25, 2011 12:20 am, edited 1 time in total.

melelolo

Postby melelolo » Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:57 am

I'm a little bummed about the late finAid, also. I was at Georgetown this past weekend, it was awesome, but the cost is a bit daunting... That will def be a consideration for me.

Georgetown is one of my top choices also, but I'm really hoping to get in at Virginia, too.

Decisions, decisions.

:?

gatorgirl4life

Postby gatorgirl4life » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:53 pm

leopardRAWR wrote:Georgetown is fairly high up on my list and a big factor in whether or not I can seriously consider attending Georgetown is if I feel like I can handle 3 years of the weather. Yes, I know the winters there supposedly aren't that bad but I've never lived anywhere with actual winter. I feel a late January weekend is a good test run for if the weather would be bearable or not.

+1 i've never seen snow! oh, and does anyone know if there's a georgetown c/o 2014 facebook group, yet? i'm still waiting to hear back from other schools...but i <3 georgetown and can't wait for ASW in january (despite weather)!

s0ph1e2007

Postby s0ph1e2007 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:58 pm

GULC is my only acceptance as of now so it is deifnitely my no. 1

until I hear back from Chicago, Michigan, Stanford, Penn and Columbia...

wiseguy33

Postby wiseguy33 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 4:46 am

How is it possible that I'm more antsy about admissions than before I got in anywhere? Thought getting accepted early would mean things would be better, but no, it's much, much worse.

Do you hear that, non-Georgetown law schools? Admit me for my sanity's sake. Thanks.

Also, scholarship money would be nice. :)

DanInALionsDen

Postby DanInALionsDen » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:38 am

I posted this on the GULC pending board, but I'll post it here too, since the issue of TLS attitude toward GULC came up. I love Georgetown, and I was HIGHLY pessimistic about attending (mostly because of TLS) at the outset. As I said in the other forum, the professors are intelligent, accessible, and often very funny. The students are generally very smart, and fairly friendly. The campus is beautiful, and in an awesome location. And D.C. is a sick city - and this is coming from a native New Yorker. That said, everyone is worried about finding a job, and that's just the gamble you take. At least you can take solace in that fact that you'll be able to take advantage of IBR, and maybe LRAP.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”