IN at GULC c/o 2014

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
InvictusFortis

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 12:04 pm

Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone get the email about the admitted students event? Apparently the Night on the Town Event is at "The Irish Times". Also, I might just be a huge nerd, but the SCOTUS case they're discussing the 2nd day is Snyder v Phelps, which I think will be interesting. They did, however, commit the faux pas of referring to CU Boulder as "UC Boulder" :P

I'm real excited for the ASW :D

Do you happen to know if we will be able to sit-in a class or two?

coug11

Postby coug11 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:30 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:Everyone get the email about the admitted students event? Apparently the Night on the Town Event is at "The Irish Times". Also, I might just be a huge nerd, but the SCOTUS case they're discussing the 2nd day is Snyder v Phelps, which I think will be interesting. They did, however, commit the faux pas of referring to CU Boulder as "UC Boulder" :P

I'm real excited for the ASW :D

Do you happen to know if we will be able to sit-in a class or two?

+1

Bildungsroman

Postby Bildungsroman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:37 pm

No clue. Sitting in on class isn't on the agenda (so I'm not sure why exactly they felt the need to schedule it during the week).

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:41 pm

Eh, I guess we will find out soon enough. Sadly, I'm more worried about the potential 20 degree weather we might face. As a native Floridian, I am woefully equipped for such temperatures.

D. H2Oman

Postby D. H2Oman » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:50 pm

If you guys want to sit in on a class, I can send you my Civ Pro class recordings.

Though it may make you reconsider law school all together :|

Raramuri415

Postby Raramuri415 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:53 am

First time posting on this board, so apologies if this has already been addressed. Is there a way to notify admissions of your decision to enroll or not via the admitted students page? I wasn't able to find it. Have people just been sending emails? Thanks.

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:10 am

Raramuri415 wrote:First time posting on this board, so apologies if this has already been addressed. Is there a way to notify admissions of your decision to enroll or not via the admitted students page? I wasn't able to find it. Have people just been sending emails? Thanks.

Send in your deposit(s).

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:33 am

So no one has any info on merit-based aid? Nada?

ArchRoark

Postby ArchRoark » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:37 am

whitman wrote:So no one has any info on merit-based aid? Nada?

I posted in the other thread about it.

Here:

ArchRoark wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:does anyone know what the deal is with gtowns merit scholarships? what kind of forms must one fill out (if any) and what the deadlines are...

I finally broke down and emailed them after worrying that I was left behind (last year's thread mentioned invites to apply for merit schollys went out in Dec). Here is their response:
"We have yet to hear from the Scholarship Committee about our process for this year. Your name has been included on the list of admitted students to contact once I hear any updates. We’re expecting to hear from the Committee no later than mid-February."

I will let you all know when I hear anything from them.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 12:50 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
whitman wrote:So no one has any info on merit-based aid? Nada?

I posted in the other thread about it.

Here:

ArchRoark wrote:
Blindc1rca wrote:does anyone know what the deal is with gtowns merit scholarships? what kind of forms must one fill out (if any) and what the deadlines are...

I finally broke down and emailed them after worrying that I was left behind (last year's thread mentioned invites to apply for merit schollys went out in Dec). Here is their response:
"We have yet to hear from the Scholarship Committee about our process for this year. Your name has been included on the list of admitted students to contact once I hear any updates. We’re expecting to hear from the Committee no later than mid-February."

I will let you all know when I hear anything from them.

Thanks man.

c_dubya_s

Postby c_dubya_s » Sun Jan 23, 2011 1:49 pm

Does that mean we should email them too so our name is on that list if we're interested? Or am I reading way too much into this?

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:05 pm

c_dubya_s wrote:

Does that mean we should email them too so our name is on that list if we're interested? Or am I reading way too much into this?

I just emailed them, just to be safe. Sticker at Georgetown would be tough to swallow, so I let them know that Georgetown was my top choice but that scholarship offers would be a major consideration of mine given uncertainty about the future of the legal market. I hope I didn't just commit some sort of faux paz.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:10 pm

Last edited by Emma1 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.

whitman

Postby whitman » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:12 pm

Emma1 wrote:Is Georgetown one of the schools that does not allow deferrals for a year?

Let me piggyback this question and broaden it to, what schools do not allow deferrals for a year?

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:20 pm

Last edited by Emma1 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Postby subtle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:32 pm

Emma1 wrote:lawschooladmission.org states that NYU, Georgetown and I believe Fordham do not allow deferrals unless you are called to active military duty or have a life threatening medical emergency, but not sure this site is correct.

That's not true at all. I spoke to admissions at Georgetown and was told everything is handled on a case by case basis. Deferrals for a year are given for compelling reasons. Having a job can count as a compelling reason.

Raramuri415

Postby Raramuri415 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:53 pm

ArchRoark wrote:
Raramuri415 wrote:First time posting on this board, so apologies if this has already been addressed. Is there a way to notify admissions of your decision to enroll or not via the admitted students page? I wasn't able to find it. Have people just been sending emails? Thanks.

Send in your deposit(s).

What about to withdraw?

bdubs

Postby bdubs » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:57 pm

Raramuri415 wrote:
ArchRoark wrote:

Send in your deposit(s).

What about to withdraw?

It's the same form as the seat deposit, you just check the withdraw box and don't send them any money.

Sequoia90

Postby Sequoia90 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:00 pm

Hey everyone, I'm currently a 1L here at GULC and wanted to offer to answer any "student-specific" questions you might have about G-town. I can't really help with any admissions-specific stuff, but I'm more than happy to answer any questions you might have. PM works best.

To the guy asking about sitting in on classes: I'm pretty sure you can come sit in on some classes if you come earlier in the day on Thursday (maybe even Friday afternoon?). You just ask the professors before class starts if it's all right (there are usually a few seats in the back of every class). The Registrar or Admissions office should have a list of all classes if you ask earlier in the day.

I look forward to meeting a bunch of you guys this week at the Open House.

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:25 pm

Last edited by Emma1 on Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

subtle

Postby subtle » Sun Jan 23, 2011 4:50 pm

Emma1 wrote:
subtle wrote:
Emma1 wrote:lawschooladmission.org states that NYU, Georgetown and I believe Fordham do not allow deferrals unless you are called to active military duty or have a life threatening medical emergency, but not sure this site is correct.

That's not true at all. I spoke to admissions at Georgetown and was told everything is handled on a case by case basis. Deferrals for a year are given for compelling reasons. Having a job can count as a compelling reason.

Did they tell you that a job can be a compelling reason?

Yes. I specifically asked about jobs. I imagine that if you write a well-written essay about why you want to take this opportunity and how it will benefit you as a lawyer, that you'll be approved.

InvictusFortis

Postby InvictusFortis » Sun Jan 23, 2011 5:26 pm

For those of you who will be attending the open house this weekend and chose to stay with a student on Thursday, have you received any information on who you will be staying with and where?

Emma1

Postby Emma1 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 6:27 pm

subtle wrote:
Emma1 wrote:
subtle wrote:

Did they tell you that a job can be a compelling reason?

Yes. I specifically asked about jobs. I imagine that if you write a well-written essay about why you want to take this opportunity and how it will benefit you as a lawyer, that you'll be approved.

Good news for those who need to defer and may open a few spots for others.

coug11

Postby coug11 » Sun Jan 23, 2011 9:39 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:For those of you who will be attending the open house this weekend and chose to stay with a student on Thursday, have you received any information on who you will be staying with and where?

The guy who I'm staying with in Gewirz e-mailed my roommate and I late last week, just to check in.

hipstermafia

Postby hipstermafia » Sun Jan 23, 2011 10:29 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:Yayyy are you going as well? We can high five IRL after our two weeks of PM obsessing over gtown.

Yes! I will be there, and i'm looking forward to it :)

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”