IN at GULC c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
LegallyBlonde923

Bronze

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Post by LegallyBlonde923 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 6:25 pm

supahstahxruv wrote:i have a mailing listed under 12/21/2010 but was accepted back in november so i'm wondering if anyone knows what this might be? can't check my mailbox for another week =\
I have that listed too, and I already got my acceptance letter and xmas card so I'm not sure what it is. I'll be able to check my mail tomorrow and if there's anything I will post.

azure55

New

Post by azure55 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 9:56 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:I know this is early but is anyone thinking of living in their 1L apartment building, Gewirz? It looks like a good way to meet people, but they only have twin beds. urgh.
I know. I wish it was unfurnished. That’s the downside of WE. I’ve got an apartment full of nice furniture that I have to say goodbye to if I live in Gewirz. But they look like nice apartments and you’ll have to do some serious commuting if you don’t live on campus (assuming you want to live somewhere safe and aren’t a millionaire).

LegallyBlonde923

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlonde923 » Thu Dec 30, 2010 11:04 pm

azure55 wrote:
LegallyBlonde923 wrote:I know this is early but is anyone thinking of living in their 1L apartment building, Gewirz? It looks like a good way to meet people, but they only have twin beds. urgh.
I know. I wish it was unfurnished. That’s the downside of WE. I’ve got an apartment full of nice furniture that I have to say goodbye to if I live in Gewirz. But they look like nice apartments and you’ll have to do some serious commuting if you don’t live on campus (assuming you want to live somewhere safe and aren’t a millionaire).
agreed! If I go to GULC (and I think that's a 95% certainty now) I will live in gerwirz... I don't know a soul in DC, and if I have to live like a freshman again to meet people it's a trade off...

suspicious android

Silver

Post by suspicious android » Sat Jan 01, 2011 1:30 am

Anyone got any info on how OCI was at GULC this fall?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jan 03, 2011 6:16 pm

Has anyone asked about scholarship applications or consideration recently?

I remember a flurry of posts a while back talking about invitations for scholarship applications going out in December. Did that happen?

General update on scholarships from someone knowledgeable would be appreciated.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

ArchRoark

Silver

Post by ArchRoark » Mon Jan 03, 2011 7:39 pm

bdubs wrote:Has anyone asked about scholarship applications or consideration recently?

I remember a flurry of posts a while back talking about invitations for scholarship applications going out in December. Did that happen?

General update on scholarships from someone knowledgeable would be appreciated.
I am interested in this information as well.

arthur

New

Post by arthur » Mon Jan 03, 2011 8:56 pm

bump. i never received any scholarship info either.

whitman

Silver

Post by whitman » Mon Jan 03, 2011 11:21 pm

arthur wrote:bump. i never received any scholarship info either.
+1

jpk5372

Bronze

Post by jpk5372 » Tue Jan 04, 2011 9:30 am

azure55 wrote:
This isn't true at all! Most of DC is very safe assuming you keep an eye out, and much cheaper than paying ridiculous prices for a dorm at GULC. If anything, I would say the area right around GULC isn't particularly safe compared to other areas of the city. DC has lots of great neighborhoods to offer and all of them have a different feel. While rent can be expensive in the fancy neighborhoods, there are certainly deals out there. You can also consider living in VA to save money, and the commute isn't that bad (when the metro works). DC is a great city and it has a lot to offer, I would caution against living on campus and staying in a bubble.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

LegallyBlonde923

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlonde923 » Wed Jan 05, 2011 8:51 pm

Has anyone started on the financial aid stuff? I filled out FAFSA and the need access last night but the georgetown specific "yellow sheet" is MIA on the admitted students website

azure55

New

Post by azure55 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:42 pm

jpk5372 wrote:
azure55 wrote:
This isn't true at all! Most of DC is very safe assuming you keep an eye out, and much cheaper than paying ridiculous prices for a dorm at GULC. If anything, I would say the area right around GULC isn't particularly safe compared to other areas of the city. DC has lots of great neighborhoods to offer and all of them have a different feel. While rent can be expensive in the fancy neighborhoods, there are certainly deals out there. You can also consider living in VA to save money, and the commute isn't that bad (when the metro works). DC is a great city and it has a lot to offer, I would caution against living on campus and staying in a bubble.
I think we’re actually in agreement. I just meant that if one of your criteria is that you want to live walking distance from class, Gewirz is one of the few safe options that won’t cost a total fortune. As you said, the surrounding neighborhood isn’t the best.

I lived in the DC area for part of undergrad (a shared townhouse on The Hill) and when I was a kid (Maryland).

D.C., like any major metro area, has lots of nice neighborhoods as well as some very very bad parts of town. Folks who are new to the area need to know that they can't just pick an apartment because the price is right and it looks convenient on a map (I know people who actually did that).

During undergrad, the folks who lived in Dupont Circle, Adams-Morgan, Arlington, etc., loved it, but they did an awful lot of grumbling about commuting while the rest of us were hanging out on the National Mall. As much as I love the Metro (and I do), I’d rather be rolling out of bed a block from my L1 classes instead of checking my watch at a Metro stop.

I figure I’ll live in Gewirz the first year for the social element and to minimize stress for L1. Then I’ll head off campus for years 2&3 once I’ve got a good group of friends to move with. But that’s just based on my criteria. To each his or her own.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:42 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:Has anyone started on the financial aid stuff? I filled out FAFSA and the need access last night but the georgetown specific "yellow sheet" is MIA on the admitted students website
It says mid February for the yellow sheet... you have about a month to wait.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 4:44 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:Has anyone started on the financial aid stuff? I filled out FAFSA and the need access last night but the georgetown specific "yellow sheet" is MIA on the admitted students website
I started it, but since I want to include my parent information to REALLY prove I'm broke and need the money, I have to wait. I'm praying my mom gets her shit together and gets her taxes done VERY early.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

LegallyBlonde923

Bronze

Post by LegallyBlonde923 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:11 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:
I started it, but since I want to include my parent information to REALLY prove I'm broke and need the money, I have to wait. I'm praying my mom gets her shit together and gets her taxes done VERY early.
From what I understand from other threads, you can use your mom's 2009 tax return to estimate on the FAFSA and just select "will file a 2010 return". They will still process your FAFSA but they indicate you adjust the amounts when the 2010 return is finished. If that helps you any.. that's what I did.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:17 pm

jpk5372 wrote:This isn't true at all! Most of DC is very safe assuming you keep an eye out, and much cheaper than paying ridiculous prices for a dorm at GULC. If anything, I would say the area right around GULC isn't particularly safe compared to other areas of the city. DC has lots of great neighborhoods to offer and all of them have a different feel. While rent can be expensive in the fancy neighborhoods, there are certainly deals out there. You can also consider living in VA to save money, and the commute isn't that bad (when the metro works). DC is a great city and it has a lot to offer, I would caution against living on campus and staying in a bubble.
I'm going to have to disagree with the bolded.

My suggestion: live in capitol hill, walk to gulc. Capitol hill crime rates are in fact much lower than other popular neighborhoods in the city (eg. u street, adams morgan, columbia heights) and you wont be paying $5 a day (or more) in metro fare to get to GULC.

For those interested in crime rates surrounding any address in the city, this is the place to go:

--LinkRemoved--

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 5:42 pm

LegallyBlonde923 wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:
From what I understand from other threads, you can use your mom's 2009 tax return to estimate on the FAFSA and just select "will file a 2010 return". They will still process your FAFSA but they indicate you adjust the amounts when the 2010 return is finished. If that helps you any.. that's what I did.
I can use estimates, but this year's income is much lower than last year's (as in, now $0). Further complicating things is that she got married in July.

awilson11

Bronze

Post by awilson11 » Mon Jan 10, 2011 7:04 pm

I requested login info from Georgetown's admitted students website (had been suggested by people in the waiting thread). I have been doing this for 2 weeks, always denied, saying my info could not be found. This last time, they sent me info though! I'm in! Hopefully. The login info doesn't work yet. I have heard from some people in the waiting thread that it's normal and should be working by Friday. Anyone who already got in have any more info??

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:35 pm

So for those who have gotten in -
Who's going to the admitted students' event at the end of the month? I wanted to go to a later one, but their March open house is at the same time as Duke's. I'm specifically wondering if anyone knows anything about free event parking and whatnot. I know there's no ASW reimbursement, but it would kinda be bad form if I have to pay $80 to park for two days.

law_monkey

Gold

Post by law_monkey » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:37 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:So for those who have gotten in -
Who's going to the admitted students' event at the end of the month? I wanted to go to a later one, but their March open house is at the same time as Duke's. I'm specifically wondering if anyone knows anything about free event parking and whatnot. I know there's no ASW reimbursement, but it would kinda be bad form if I have to pay $80 to park for two days.
The only chance I'm going to get to go visit is over my spring break in March. I just couldn't justify missing class now when I'm going to miss so much later once ASWs start up. :(

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:39 pm

I'm excited for this admitted students' reception. No clue about parking since I'm flying in, though.

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:40 pm

Parking in DC almost never exceeds $20/day and $10-15 is typical. I dont know if they provide free or reduce rate parking, but my guess is that they might have trouble accommodating everyone if they did.

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

coug11

Bronze

Post by coug11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 9:49 pm

I am going to the Jan ASW, but I am also flying in, so I have no clue on parking.

T6Hopeful

Silver

Post by T6Hopeful » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:02 pm

law_monkey wrote:
The only chance I'm going to get to go visit is over my spring break in March. I just couldn't justify missing class now when I'm going to miss so much later once ASWs start up. :(
True, I'm lucky enough to be done with classes for the week Wednesday at 2:30 though.
Thanks for the parking info to bdubs... I'm from NJ/NY so it's hard for me to imagine a city with reasonable parking rates. But on the other hand, that does put me close enough driving that flying in is even more expensive and more of a hassle (sure it's a short flight, but it's not worth checking a bag/waiting in line, etc. when I could drive there in a reasonable amount of time).

Also, are you guys staying with a student, or whatever that option is? I'm the type of person that would feel like he's intruding, but I suppose they do volunteer...

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:07 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:Also, are you guys staying with a student, or whatever that option is? I'm the type of person that would feel like he's intruding, but I suppose they do volunteer...
I'm staying with a friend who lives in DC. Since the ASW ends Friday around noon, I decided to stay in DC until Sunday so I could see the sights, explore the city some more, and hang out with people I know in the area. Not going to be missing classes or work on Saturday or Sunday, and the price of the plane ticket was the same either way, so I figured why not. :D

coug11

Bronze

Post by coug11 » Wed Jan 12, 2011 10:17 pm

T6Hopeful wrote:
law_monkey wrote:

Also, are you guys staying with a student, or whatever that option is? I'm the type of person that would feel like he's intruding, but I suppose they do volunteer...
I'm staying with a student on Thursday night because I want to see what it's like in the Law School dorm, which is probably where I will end up next year. I'm sure most students who volunteer did the same thing last year, so this is them "repaying" the school, so to speak. I am then staying with a friend till Sunday so that I can see the sights in DC!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”