IN at GULC c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
FutureInLaw

Bronze

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Post by FutureInLaw » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:47 am

mr_toad wrote:
RTFM wrote:
FutureInLaw wrote:Is anyone diving into this at sticker? I'm not sure I can do that :(
After a LOT of debating back and forth with myself, I think I am. PM me if you'd like to discuss.
According to Admissions Dean (http://www.admissionsdean.com/law_schoo ... ancial-aid), over 60% of GULC students attend without any aid whatsoever. Comments? Does this seem realistic? At Duke, I think something like over 65% get some kind of merit/need scholarship... granted, this data is a bit old, but still...
Sounds right. From everything I've heard, GULC is cheap! Preying on those who lust after T14, knowing they'll pay sticker for it!

BarnabeSpooge

New

Post by BarnabeSpooge » Mon Apr 18, 2011 9:56 am

Hey, when is the deposit deadline?

FutureInLaw

Bronze

Post by FutureInLaw » Mon Apr 18, 2011 10:05 am

BarnabeSpooge wrote:Hey, when is the deposit deadline?
May 2. $400. Along with Dean's Certification AND official undergrad transcript.

dpk711

Silver

Post by dpk711 » Mon Apr 18, 2011 1:38 pm

Just withdrew. Released a six-figure scholarship for you guys as well. Good luck to all of you!

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:40 pm

The glacial pace of the scholarship negotiation process is really making me reconsider Georgetown. Are large class sizes that much of an impediment to administrative processes? If so, maybe it would be wise to choose a smaller school, one that had the funds to spend on their students and actually wants me to attend. /frustrated

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:44 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:The glacial pace of the scholarship negotiation process is really making me reconsider Georgetown. Are large class sizes that much of an impediment to administrative processes? If so, maybe it would be wise to choose a smaller school, one that had the funds to spend on their students and actually wants me to attend. /frustrated
I would try and be patient. From everything I've read, the Gtown administration is well staffed and funded, and bureaucratic inefficiency is not a complaint I've heard from current students. But as for the current hassle, it happens at most schools with one part of the admissions process or another, so if you're interested in GULC I would try and be as patient as possible, within reason.

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Tue Apr 19, 2011 5:46 pm

wiseguy33 wrote:The glacial pace of the scholarship negotiation process is really making me reconsider Georgetown. Are large class sizes that much of an impediment to administrative processes? If so, maybe it would be wise to choose a smaller school, one that had the funds to spend on their students and actually wants me to attend. /frustrated
They called me on Friday and in the course of the conversation I learned that they were "pretty strapped for cash at this point." I'm sure that's playing a role in the "glacial pace."

That said, I just got in with 45k today.

BarnabeSpooge

New

Post by BarnabeSpooge » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:30 pm

Zabini wrote: That said, I just got in with 45k today.
:shock:

Congrats! Is that per year, or overall?

Dais1003

New

Post by Dais1003 » Wed Apr 20, 2011 3:59 pm

How did your scholarship negotiation begin? Did you initiate once you received an initial offer or try to leverage another school's offer?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Apr 20, 2011 11:57 pm

Dais1003 wrote:
How did your scholarship negotiation begin? Did you initiate once you received an initial offer or try to leverage another school's offer?
unless you're urm, i seriously doubt a 3.04/170 is getting scholarship money.....

wiseguy33

Bronze

Post by wiseguy33 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 4:46 am

hipstermafia wrote:
Dais1003 wrote:
unless you're urm, i seriously doubt a 3.04/170 is getting scholarship money.....
? Not my numbers.

Dais1003, I PMed you.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:35 am

wiseguy33 wrote:? Not my numbers.

Dais1003, I PMed you.
That was to Dias, not you :)

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:54 am

BarnabeSpooge wrote:
Zabini wrote: That said, I just got in with 45k today.
:shock:

Congrats! Is that per year, or overall?
Thanks, its 15k/year so 45k overall

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Thu Apr 21, 2011 9:57 am

Has anyone done the self-guided tour? Reviews, comments, etc? Thinking of dropping by tomorrow.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:09 am

Zabini wrote:Has anyone done the self-guided tour? Reviews, comments, etc? Thinking of dropping by tomorrow.
No way! I'm doing that tomorrow!

reallynownow

New

Post by reallynownow » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:18 am

New here. Still trying to decide between GU and and NYU--but I visited the school yesterday and it was amazing. Everyone was friendly and the place looks great. I got $$$ to to to GULC and nothing at NYU--Everyone says I should pick NYC--but after yesterday I am heavily leaning to DC. Lots of people here are ONLY about rank--as though your entire professional career will be decided on the basis of a that number. I did not go to the number one ranked undergraduate and I got this far......

So: no matter what you choose--GULC looks pretty good, and certainly comparable to the other T14 I looked at and got in to....

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:23 am

reallynownow wrote:New here. Still trying to decide between GU and and NYU--but I visited the school yesterday and it was amazing. Everyone was friendly and the place looks great. I got $$$ to to to GULC and nothing at NYU--Everyone says I should pick NYC--but after yesterday I am heavily leaning to DC. Lots of people here are ONLY about rank--as though your entire professional career will be decided on the basis of a that number. I did not go to the number one ranked undergraduate and I got this far......

So: no matter what you choose--GULC looks pretty good, and certainly comparable to the other T14 I looked at and got in to....
I could not agree more with this statement.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

ej2053

New

Post by ej2053 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:35 am

Zabini wrote:Has anyone done the self-guided tour? Reviews, comments, etc? Thinking of dropping by tomorrow.
I did it last weekend and it was fine, but pretty basic--they just give you a pass that gets you into the buildings and a little sheet that says what they are. It was good chance to get a feel for the campus but unless you found a couple students willing to chat, not all that informative. Might be a better use of time to see if you can sit in on a class.

Are we supposed to be getting anything in the mail besides the first little letter? I was getting ready to send my deposit in and realized I don't have any sort of acceptance form/cover letter to send in with it...?

bdubs

Gold

Post by bdubs » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:37 am

ej2053 wrote:
I did it last weekend and it was fine, but pretty basic--they just give you a pass that gets you into the buildings and a little sheet that says what they are. It was good chance to get a feel for the campus but unless you found a couple students willing to chat, not all that informative. Might be a better use of time to see if you can sit in on a class.

Are we supposed to be getting anything in the mail besides the first little letter? I was getting ready to send my deposit in and realized I don't have any sort of acceptance form/cover letter to send in with it...?
That is on the admitted student website.

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Thu Apr 21, 2011 11:28 am

ej2053 wrote:

OK, more or less what I expected. Annoying its not like an undergrad admissions department that runs tours every day every other hour but oh well.

@hipstermafia lol that's awesome when are you going to be there? I'm not entirely sure for myself, still coordinating with my gf and her friend that's coming in from chi and the 2L I know there

FutureInLaw

Bronze

Post by FutureInLaw » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:27 pm

Agree. Love the school. Wish I had some money to go there :(
reallynownow wrote:New here. Still trying to decide between GU and and NYU--but I visited the school yesterday and it was amazing. Everyone was friendly and the place looks great. I got $$$ to to to GULC and nothing at NYU--Everyone says I should pick NYC--but after yesterday I am heavily leaning to DC. Lots of people here are ONLY about rank--as though your entire professional career will be decided on the basis of a that number. I did not go to the number one ranked undergraduate and I got this far......

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

feyonce

New

Post by feyonce » Thu Apr 21, 2011 12:59 pm

I'm actually here visiting right now too! :) I sat in on a class this morning, then wandered around campus and chatted with students and staff in the admissions office, the office of residential life, the financial aid office, and the public interest office. It's actually been really helpful and informative!

Still waiting on financial aid information, but I think I'm going to be a student here next fall... !

Anyone looking for a roommate in the Columbia Heights or U Street area? :D

Redsgomarchingon

Bronze

Post by Redsgomarchingon » Thu Apr 21, 2011 1:52 pm

ej2053 wrote:

there's a form you're suppose to send with the deposit. it's on the ASW

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Apr 21, 2011 2:41 pm

Zabini wrote:@hipstermafia lol that's awesome when are you going to be there? I'm not entirely sure for myself, still coordinating with my gf and her friend that's coming in from chi and the 2L I know there
ha, my family and bf are also coming in to tour, probably mid morning but I'm not sure we haven't really coordinated it yet. I guess if we see anoher self guided tour group we can do a collective wink :)

Zabini

Bronze

Post by Zabini » Sat Apr 23, 2011 3:45 am

lol welp, wound up sleeping til 3:30 today, made my way to campus around 4:30. Cool campus, but everything being closed for Good Friday sucked pretty hard. Gonna go back Tues or Wed.

Also, does anyone know why we're not allowed to take pictures? I got yelled at by a security guard within 10 minutes of arriving.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”