IN at GULC c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ChuckSchick

New

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Post by ChuckSchick » Tue Feb 15, 2011 3:38 pm

shnoop wrote:has anyone who has been admitted gone through the Group interview?
Yeah, I had a group interview in NY on Feb 8th, app completed 14th (and I generated a password)

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:53 pm

I heard something about Georgetown looking to decrease their class size, or maybe it was section size. Has anyone heard anything about class size reduction, raising PT quantitative data, or increasing the availability of clinics?

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 3:55 pm

InvictusFortis wrote:I heard something about Georgetown looking to decrease their class size, or maybe it was section size. Has anyone heard anything about class size reduction, raising PT quantitative data, or increasing the availability of clinics?
They are supposed to reduce the number of part time seats, I think hoping to increase the LSAT/GPA numbers for part time. This will also mean that switching from PT to FT will not be as easy as it used to be, and will be decided on a case by case basis. I haven't heard anything about class size, and I think the sections will stay the same (around 110 if I'm not mistaken?).

columbia86

Bronze

Post by columbia86 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:01 pm

Marionberry wrote:
InvictusFortis wrote:I heard something about Georgetown looking to decrease their class size, or maybe it was section size. Has anyone heard anything about class size reduction, raising PT quantitative data, or increasing the availability of clinics?
They are supposed to reduce the number of part time seats, I think hoping to increase the LSAT/GPA numbers for part time. This will also mean that switching from PT to FT will not be as easy as it used to be, and will be decided on a case by case basis. I haven't heard anything about class size, and I think the sections will stay the same (around 110 if I'm not mistaken?).
Where did you hear this?

With regards to professional placement, what disadvantages, if any, do part-timers have to overcome.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:03 pm

columbia86 wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
Where did you hear this?

With regards to professional placement, what disadvantages, if any, do part-timers have to overcome.
I don't know how OCI works for the part timers, but I certainly don't think there's any stigma attached to the part time program. I don't know where I heard about the PT program, but it's been discussed on this site before and I'm pretty sure I saw something official from GULC about it. Basically, the PT program will no longer be a loophole for people with sub-par numbers to get into the full time program after a year. next year is supposed to be the first year for this, though, so I don't know what it will look like in practice.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:10 pm

Marionberry wrote:I don't know how OCI works for the part timers, but I certainly don't think there's any stigma attached to the part time program. I don't know where I heard about the PT program, but it's been discussed on this site before and I'm pretty sure I saw something official from GULC about it. Basically, the PT program will no longer be a loophole for people with sub-par numbers to get into the full time program after a year. next year is supposed to be the first year for this, though, so I don't know what it will look like in practice.
I believe PTers go through OCI at the end of their 3rd year? Someone correct me if I'm wrong.

GULC is adding an additional section to the full time program so each section next year will have 80-90 instead of the current 120. The PT program is also being cut from 120 to about 80-90, i think for the reasons Marion stated above. Learned about this at ASW, but i would e-mail Andy directly if you have any questions about the changes.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Wed Feb 16, 2011 4:17 pm

hipstermafia wrote: each section next year will have 80-90 instead of the current 120.
I didn't know this. I like this.

NYY27

New

Post by NYY27 » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:56 pm

How long does it usually take to get your acceptance letter after you can generate a password for the ASW? I realize that there's never been anyone who could generate a password who didn't eventually get in, but a small part of me won't rest easy until I see the letter...

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Wed Feb 16, 2011 6:57 pm

Marionberry wrote:
hipstermafia wrote: each section next year will have 80-90 instead of the current 120.
Yeah! I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this, I feel like gulc's biggest criticism (especially on tls) is that it's a big law school but 80 people in a section doesn't seem that bad...

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

InvictusFortis

Bronze

Post by InvictusFortis » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:25 am

hipstermafia wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
Yeah! I'm surprised we haven't heard more about this, I feel like gulc's biggest criticism (especially on tls) is that it's a big law school but 80 people in a section doesn't seem that bad...
Yes, the dreadful "diploma mill" stigma.

Emma1

Silver

Post by Emma1 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:30 am

People ae just jealous of GULC's great reputation

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:33 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
Revealing my ignorance, but are section sizes the size of all your 1L classes? That seems pretty huge. Though Curriculum B would be awesome no matter what.

c_dubya_s

Silver

Post by c_dubya_s » Thu Feb 17, 2011 12:39 pm

Not sure if this was already on here (or when the change was made) but GULC's ASW now says that the submission deadline for the yellow form (which is still unavailable) has been extended to March 15th. Looks like they're having delays getting it out.
Edit: Financial aid website says that "additional steps" for incoming JD students will be available in late February.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

subtle

Silver

Post by subtle » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:25 pm

Going to visit tomorrow! So excited. :)

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:30 pm

Marionberry wrote:
every time i see your avatar i think of foucault, even though i know it's HST. it's messing with my head.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:33 pm

fatduck wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
every time i see your avatar i think of foucault, even though i know it's HST. it's messing with my head.
This site makes me feel really not well-read some times, and this was one of them. I had to google Foucault, but I do see the resemblence.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:35 pm

Arbiter213 wrote:Revealing my ignorance, but are section sizes the size of all your 1L classes? That seems pretty huge. Though Curriculum B would be awesome no matter what.
I think all but 1 class (which is 20 ish people?)

I have no idea what section sizes are at other schools, it would be interesting to compare. I'll do some searching. Whatever the difference between schools, 80 is significantly better than 120.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:36 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:Revealing my ignorance, but are section sizes the size of all your 1L classes? That seems pretty huge. Though Curriculum B would be awesome no matter what.

I have no idea what section sizes are at other schools, it would be interesting to compare. I'll do some searching. IMO, 80 is significantly better than 120.
Section sizes at most schools I think range from 80-120, even though the total size of the class is much larger the current section sizes are comparable to most of the T14, I think.

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:37 pm

Marionberry wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:

I have no idea what section sizes are at other schools, it would be interesting to compare. I'll do some searching. IMO, 80 is significantly better than 120.
Section sizes at most schools I think range from 80-120, even though the total size of the class is much larger the current section sizes are comparable to most of the T14, I think.
http://www.top-law-schools.com/forums/v ... 1&t=141352

note that this thread uses the phrase "section size" but really means "class size", as some schools have smaller sections, but combine them for class.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:39 pm

fatduck wrote:

note that this thread uses the phrase "section size" but really means "class size", as some schools have smaller sections, but combine them for class.
Yeah, i just found that too. I'm coming from a school that has ~50,000 undergraduates, so I'm not to concerned about GULC's size. That said, it would probably be nice if it was a little smaller.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:40 pm

Marionberry wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Yeah, i just found that too. I'm coming from a school that has ~50,000 undergraduates, so I'm not to concerned about GULC's size. That said, it would probably be nice if it was a little smaller.
Yeah, i think total gulc has ~2,000 students (on their own campus). I'm not sure your classes are with your entire section, someone might want to check on that before i spread lies on here :(

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:41 pm

hipstermafia wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
fatduck wrote:

Yeah, i think total gulc has ~2,000 students (on their own campus). I'm not sure your classes are with your entire section, someone might want to check on that before i spread lies on here :(
i would be really surprised if 1L classes were seating 200+ students. i think for gulc it's 1 section per class.

edit: never mind, you were saying the opposite, that sections might be split for class. i don't think that's the case.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:43 pm

Dean Cornblatt discussed this a little during the last ASW in response to a question someone asked about the size of the school. His response was that they are changing from 120 to 80 people in sections (which might make the overall class number smaller if they are aiming for a part-time section of 80ish? maybe) and that having a large overall student body can be quite helpful because they are able to provide more support staff and offices as a result.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:44 pm

fatduck wrote:edit: never mind, you were saying the opposite, that sections might be split for class. i don't think that's the case.
yeah exactly, i think you have all but one class with your entire section but i could be wrong. i'm going to go by tomorrow and ask a ton of random questions, i'll be sure to get a real answer to this.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 17, 2011 8:45 pm

fatduck, i dont think i've ever told you this but i LOVE your avatar. that corgi flop video is incredible.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”