IN at GULC c/o 2014 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Marionberry

Silver

Re: IN at GULC c/o 2014

Post by Marionberry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:10 am

Nightrunner wrote:
Marionberry wrote:
Nightrunner wrote:I approve of the new direction this thread is taking.
At first I thought you were being kind of heavy handed, but looking back at it I see that it was deserved.
...Thanks?

I'd rather be a prick and let everyone settle down than just come in and start banning. I realize that the unfortunate side effect of this approach is that I come off as a prick, but it still seems like the best call in certain (relatively rare) circumstances.
Nah, I didn't think you were being a prick, I just wasn't sure what had warranted the threat of bans. When I re read it though, I could see the direction it was headed.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:11 am

masterthearts wrote:WILL definitely live in student housing. Trying to figure out if I should take a single or have a double with a room mate. I have had it both ways in college, but don't know which way to go for gulc. I'm afraid the work will be intense and I might be better off by myself. What are you guys doing?

I live in Gewirz right now, I don't think a single is worth the price. (unless you don't care about money, or really really want to be alone) you have your own bedroom either way and it's plenty of space.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:11 am

masterthearts wrote:WILL definitely live in student housing. Trying to figure out if I should take a single or have a double with a room mate. I have had it both ways in college, but don't know which way to go for gulc. I'm afraid the work will be intense and I might be better off by myself. What are you guys doing?
I don't think I could ever live without roommates, I would drive myself crazy. If i go to gulc i'll be staying where i currently live now, a few blocks from the law center :lol:

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
Marionberry wrote:I haven't been to DC since I was 8, when I think it was the murder capital of the country. What makes the city so great?
Access to good internships, city living, etc.
Is it common for people to actually find jobs after graduation as a result of these internships, or is it mainly just a way to pad your resume?

Also, while I understand that it's not the capital anymore, is murder still generally accepted/celebrated within the District? I mean, when you go on vacations as a kid you just don't really appreciate the experiences you have, you know?
Last edited by Marionberry on Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:13 am, edited 2 times in total.

santoinettea

Bronze

Post by santoinettea » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:12 am

I think I would go with a single room (apartment mates are good though). I've shared a room my entire life and never had a problem with it until this year when my roommate picked up the habit of snoring. Can't imagine staying sane with a snoring roommate in law school.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:15 am

Marionberry wrote:Also, while I understand that it's not the capital, is murder still generally accepted/celebrated within the District? I mean, when you go on vacations as a kid you just don't really appreciate the experiences you have, you know?
I think the district is much safer than it used to be, there is still gang/drug violence but a lot of the crimes are targeted and if you're not running drugs or in a gang you should be fine.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:16 am

Marionberry wrote:
Is it common for people to actually find jobs after graduation as a result of these internships, or is it mainly just a way to pad your resume?

Depends on what you want to do. But short answer is no, they mean almost nothing.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:17 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Depends on what you want to do. But short answer is no, they mean almost nothing.
Some of us don't want biglawl, homeboy.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:20 am

hipstermafia wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Also, while I understand that it's not the capital, is murder still generally accepted/celebrated within the District? I mean, when you go on vacations as a kid you just don't really appreciate the experiences you have, you know?
I think the district is much safer than it used to be, there is still gang/drug violence but a lot of the crimes are targeted and if you're not running drugs or in a gang you should be fine.
Are there any crews that already have the territory around the law school claimed? If not, do you guys wanna set up shop?

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:22 am

hipstermafia wrote:
I don't think I could ever live without roommates, I would drive myself crazy. If i go to gulc i'll be staying where i currently live now, a few blocks from the law center :lol:
I'm seriously looking forward to ditching, at the very least, the number of roommates I have now. I definitely need at least one person, but my girlfriend will hopefully be coming with me to DC should I choose GULC.

In other news: hipster, I hear there's a Billygoat tavern across from GULC. Is this true?

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:23 am

Bildungsroman wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

You'll learn very soon to not believe anyone who says this.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:24 am

Arbiter213 wrote:In other news: hipster, I hear there's a Billygoat tavern across from GULC. Is this true?

Like a 30 second walk.

Marionberry

Silver

Post by Marionberry » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:26 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

If people were to actually not want biglaw, though, would these internships actually provide opportunities with their respective organizations?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:28 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Bildungsroman wrote:
D. H2Oman wrote:
Marionberry wrote:

Nah mang, COA clerkship -> SCOTUS Clerkship -> Boutique appellate firm -> professorship or head of major organization like ACLU.

So much easier than biglaw.

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:32 am

D. H2Oman wrote:
Arbiter213 wrote:In other news: hipster, I hear there's a Billygoat tavern across from GULC. Is this true?

Like a 30 second walk.
This pleases me.

D. H2Oman

Platinum

Post by D. H2Oman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:34 am

Marionberry wrote: If people were to actually not want biglaw, though, would these internships actually provide opportunities with their respective organizations?

Well it depends what is really meant by "internships" Does Georgetown offer better access to summer legal work in DC than other comparable schools? Not really imo, it's easier because you already live here I guess, so that's maybe a small advantage. If you mean something you work during the year while attending class, well honestly you're not going to do anything all the substantive. My main point is that Georgetown doesn't have some advantage compared to other schools. I mean people can obviously parlay there summer legal work into real jobs. So the answer really is, it depends. Do you have something in specifically in mind?

Entchen

Silver

Post by Entchen » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:37 am

hipstermafia wrote:
bdubs wrote:Entchen
and she's one of the best people evar!!!!!!!
<3 u

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

fatduck

Gold

Post by fatduck » Thu Feb 10, 2011 12:42 am

Marionberry wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
Are there any crews that already have the territory around the law school claimed? If not, do you guys wanna set up shop?
--ImageRemoved--

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:04 am

hipstermafia wrote:
ITT: SF vomits lolcats and rainbows to keep NR happy
:lol:

Arbiter213

Gold

Post by Arbiter213 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:33 am

eskimo wrote:
hipstermafia wrote:
ITT: SF vomits lolcats and rainbows to keep NR happy
:lol:
Wait is that what goes on in SF? How does someone go about joining? :)

Dany

Diamond

Post by Dany » Thu Feb 10, 2011 1:52 am

Arbiter213 wrote:Wait is that what goes on in SF? How does someone go about joining? :)
You just post there, with preferably a picture of a cute fluffy kitten or a limerick. :D

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

onepass

Bronze

Post by onepass » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:51 am

Are most people going to live in student housing? For some reason, it really doesn't appeal to me. I would think being around so many of your classmates during exam time would only create more stress.

Bildungsroman

Platinum

Post by Bildungsroman » Thu Feb 10, 2011 2:52 am

onepass wrote:Are most people going to live in student housing? For some reason, it really doesn't appeal to me. I would think being around so many of your classmates during exam time would only create more stress.
Nah man I'd find a trendy neighbrhood to live in with a few roommates.

hipstermafia

Silver

Post by hipstermafia » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:20 am

Marionberry wrote:Are there any crews that already have the territory around the law school claimed? If not, do you guys wanna set up shop?
NO, AND YES!

we'll be the real tls mafia

unc0mm0n1

Gold

Post by unc0mm0n1 » Thu Feb 10, 2011 8:37 am

hipstermafia wrote:
Marionberry wrote:Are there any crews that already have the territory around the law school claimed? If not, do you guys wanna set up shop?
NO, AND YES!

we'll be the real tls mafia
I want to get in on that!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”