American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
i<3ny

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby i<3ny » Mon Mar 28, 2011 11:42 am

Waitlisted... :( does anyone know the trend in the past with waitlists? do they tend to accept off it?

philswfc2008

Postby philswfc2008 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:34 pm

i<3ny wrote:Waitlisted... :( does anyone know the trend in the past with waitlists? do they tend to accept off it?

Sorry to hear the news! I'd love to know the answer to this question though!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 12:47 pm

NewIvy wrote:Waitlisted with a 3.11 from a top-30 UG and 173.

YP

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:08 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:12 pm

lucky277 wrote:Just withdrew. Good luck to those on the waitlist!

Why did you decide not to go?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm

Withdrew just now. Received the 10K scholarship so someone else will get it.

lucky277

Postby lucky277 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:20 pm

i<3ny wrote:

I got a better scholarship offer from another school I was more interested in. AU will always have a place in my heart though :D My 10K scholarship will also be up for grabs now.

abonda01

Postby abonda01 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:27 pm

lucky277 wrote:
i<3ny wrote:

I got a better scholarship offer from another school I was more interested in. AU will always have a place in my heart though :D My 10K scholarship will also be up for grabs now.

I can't complain about that haha. Good luck where you end up!

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:31 pm

Just got my reminder to deposit by 4/1. Still no word from the scholly negotiations. Definitely not giving them the satisfaction of withdrawing. They can deal with my paperwork on the 15th with all the other no-sayers.

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:41 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Just got my reminder to deposit by 4/1. Still no word from the scholly negotiations. Definitely not giving them the satisfaction of withdrawing. They can deal with my paperwork on the 15th with all the other no-sayers.

Congrats on getting in, but not withdrawing if you know 100% that your are not going just prolongs the agony of the ppl on the waitlist.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:45 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Just got my reminder to deposit by 4/1. Still no word from the scholly negotiations. Definitely not giving them the satisfaction of withdrawing. They can deal with my paperwork on the 15th with all the other no-sayers.

Why the harsh feelings about AU :?:

balls

Postby balls » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:45 pm

wait, isnt the deposit deadline 4/15?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:47 pm

balls wrote:

for merit scholarship there's a $900 deposit due on 4/1.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:53 pm

i<3ny wrote:

Congrats on getting in, but not withdrawing if you know 100% that you are not going just prolongs the agony of the ppl on the waitlist.

No it doesn't. In a logical world, one person's withdrawal would immediately prompt another's acceptance (off the waitlist or without decision). They would also admit 360 students for a 360-student class. Law school admissions is far from logical. They've padded these areas excessively; therefore, those on the waitlist probably won't even be glanced at until after April 15th anyways, regardless of my particular action.

I'm incredibly frustrated with WCL right now. If they had been respectful of me or my situation at ANY point in the cycle (post-"congratulations! you have been accepted..."), this would be an entirely different story for me. Withdrawing does more for the actual applicant than for the school, although at least they have less paperwork and "figuring out" to do April 16, and it certainly does very, very little for those on the waitlist. Unless a whole slew (200+) of people withdrew tomorrow, in which case I imagine they'd treat their waitlist a lot differently.

As for being 100%, I'm not. I'm still hopeful that I will receive a wonderfully colorful email on March 31 telling me that my scholarship has in fact been increased, and then (and only then) would I throw down $900 the next day. To make your head feel lighter, new york lover, I will withdraw April 2nd (as opposed to April 15th), the day after my scholarship acceptance will have passed.

i<3ny

Postby i<3ny » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:57 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
i<3ny wrote:

Congrats on getting in, but not withdrawing if you know 100% that you are not going just prolongs the agony of the ppl on the waitlist.

No it doesn't. In a logical world, one person's withdrawal would immediately prompt another's acceptance (off the waitlist or without decision). They would also admit 360 students for a 360-student class. Law school admissions is far from logical. They've padded these areas excessively; therefore, those on the waitlist probably won't even be glanced at until after April 15th anyways, regardless of my particular action.

I'm incredibly frustrated with WCL right now. If they had been respectful of me or my situation at ANY point in the cycle (post-"congratulations! you have been accepted..."), this would be an entirely different story for me. Withdrawing does more for the actual applicant than for the school, although at least they have less paperwork and "figuring out" to do April 16, and it certainly does very, very little for those on the waitlist. Unless a whole slew (200+) of people withdrew tomorrow, in which case I imagine they'd treat their waitlist a lot differently.

As for being 100%, I'm not. I'm still hopeful that I will receive a wonderfully colorful email on March 31 telling me that my scholarship has in fact been increased, and then (and only then) would I throw down $900 the next day. To make your head feel lighter, new york lover, I will withdraw April 2nd (as opposed to April 15th), the day after my scholarship acceptance will have passed.

I didn't mean to say you should withdraw sooner if ur not 100%, i'm just very frustrated with the WL. They really just don't care that ppl on the WL could potentially be their students this fall, and that WL students are those who'd really pay sticker and thus pay their salaries (or a minimal part of).

balls

Postby balls » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:58 pm

Flips88 wrote:
balls wrote:

for merit scholarship there's a $900 deposit due on 4/1.

ah, gotcha.

didnt get one of those.

not that 10k would really make even the tiniest of differences.

oh my GOD! maybe i could live with my UNCLE in MANHATTAN BEACH and go to LOYOLA. HOLY SHIT EPIPHANY.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:59 pm

DeeCee wrote:

PM'd.

Edit: or not? It's still sitting in my outbox. How the hell do you get something out of the outbox and get it sent? Sigh...
Last edited by descartesb4thehorse on Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:03 pm

i<3ny wrote:
i<3ny wrote:

I didn't mean to say you should withdraw sooner if ur not 100%, i'm just very frustrated with the WL. They really just don't care that ppl on the WL could potentially be their students this fall, and that WL students are those who'd really pay sticker and thus pay their salaries (or a minimal part of).

I gotcha. I am the unhappy passenger on quite a few WLs myself.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:06 pm

DeeCee wrote:

PM'd.

Edit: or not? It's still sitting in my outbox. How the hell do you get something out of the outbox and get it sent? Sigh...

it sits in your outbox until I check it. This is how you can tell when people have looked at your message. I was away, but I'm checking it now.

descartesb4thehorse

Postby descartesb4thehorse » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:09 pm

DeeCee wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

PM'd.

it sits in your outbox until I check it. This is how you can tell when people have looked at your message. I was away, but I'm checking it now.

Whoa. Good call. It wasn't this message but mainly the 2 other ones still sitting in there from last night/this morning that I was worried about. Thanks for the heads up. Before TLS, I hadn't used boards like this since... high school I think.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:16 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:Whoa. Good call. It wasn't this message but mainly the 2 other ones still sitting in there from last night/this morning that I was worried about. Thanks for the heads up. Before TLS, I hadn't used boards like this since... high school I think.

PM'd you back.

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:22 pm

WIthdrew from the WL today. Will be going to GULC or GW, in all likelihood.

red_alertz

Postby red_alertz » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:24 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:WIthdrew from the WL today. Will be going to GULC or GW, in all likelihood.

hum... American's YP success again

msridiculous447

Postby msridiculous447 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:27 pm

red_alertz wrote:
msridiculous447 wrote:WIthdrew from the WL today. Will be going to GULC or GW, in all likelihood.

My numbers are 3.7/169, so yeah. :P

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:43 pm

msridiculous447 wrote:
red_alertz wrote:

My numbers are 3.7/169, so yeah. :P

Why won't American offer big $$$$ to people with high numbers, rather than YP'ing them? If they did this they could up their #'s and not continue to fall in the rankings (I think they've fell about 8 spots in the last 2-3 years). GW is doing this with their Presidential Merit Scholarships, and having good success with it. And retaining their ranking.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”