American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
lrg
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby lrg » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:53 am

Got a phone call with a PIPS offer via a phone call last saturday. Numbers: 3.6/165. No formal email yet.

laurencita7
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby laurencita7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 8:44 am

lrg wrote:Got a phone call with a PIPS offer via a phone call last saturday. Numbers: 3.6/165. No formal email yet.


Same here, 165, 3.77. Said they hope to have 10 PIPSers.

User avatar
ash8309
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ash8309 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:36 am

laurencita7 wrote:
lrg wrote:Got a phone call with a PIPS offer via a phone call last saturday. Numbers: 3.6/165. No formal email yet.


Same here, 165, 3.77. Said they hope to have 10 PIPSers.


Congrats to both of you! Did you guys accept? What type of public service/public interest law do you want to do?

User avatar
philswfc2008
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby philswfc2008 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:19 am

lsatextreme wrote:received my ding email today. Broke my heart.



I'm sorry to hear that! :cry:

Has anyone else heard back from American lately? I've seen very little feedback on admission decisions in this thread, at least compared to other schools' threads/postings. I went complete on 1/14 (after submitting everything in mid-November...had to wait for December LSAT score to roll in). I sort of expected to hear back by now, but who knows how long others have been waiting. Stats are 167/3.33 (non-URM)

laurencita7
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby laurencita7 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:44 am

ash8309 wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:
lrg wrote:Got a phone call with a PIPS offer via a phone call last saturday. Numbers: 3.6/165. No formal email yet.


Same here, 165, 3.77. Said they hope to have 10 PIPSers.


Congrats to both of you! Did you guys accept? What type of public service/public interest law do you want to do?


I'm almost positive I'll be accepting (I have until 4/3 to decide). Want to do some combination of gender/reproductive rights/health law/international law.

User avatar
ash8309
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ash8309 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:50 am

laurencita7 wrote:
ash8309 wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:
lrg wrote:Got a phone call with a PIPS offer via a phone call last saturday. Numbers: 3.6/165. No formal email yet.


Same here, 165, 3.77. Said they hope to have 10 PIPSers.


Congrats to both of you! Did you guys accept? What type of public service/public interest law do you want to do?


I'm almost positive I'll be accepting (I have until 4/3 to decide). Want to do some combination of gender/reproductive rights/health law/international law.


Cool. I hope I can join you! I have not heard anything yet. I wonder how many have gone out already. I know there was one person on this forum who was offered PIPS and turned it down.

abonda01
Posts: 101
Joined: Thu Feb 24, 2011 4:48 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby abonda01 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:17 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:received my ding email today. Broke my heart.



I'm sorry to hear that! :cry:

Has anyone else heard back from American lately? I've seen very little feedback on admission decisions in this thread, at least compared to other schools' threads/postings. I went complete on 1/14 (after submitting everything in mid-November...had to wait for December LSAT score to roll in). I sort of expected to hear back by now, but who knows how long others have been waiting. Stats are 167/3.33 (non-URM)


Weird. They probably just haven't gotten back to your app yet.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:20 pm

abonda01 wrote:
philswfc2008 wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:received my ding email today. Broke my heart.



I'm sorry to hear that! :cry:

Has anyone else heard back from American lately? I've seen very little feedback on admission decisions in this thread, at least compared to other schools' threads/postings. I went complete on 1/14 (after submitting everything in mid-November...had to wait for December LSAT score to roll in). I sort of expected to hear back by now, but who knows how long others have been waiting. Stats are 167/3.33 (non-URM)


Weird. They probably just haven't gotten back to your app yet.


I went complete on 1/17, then on 1/14, then crickets.

Im thinking about just withdrawing my application. I'm not going to American anyway. If they let me in they wont give me much of any money and if I were in the mood to pay sticker in DC I'd do it for GW.

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby oreo3405 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:03 pm

Got my PIPS Rejection Letter just now in email. Boo. :(

User avatar
ash8309
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ash8309 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:04 pm

Just got the email that I am denied for the PIPS scholarship. Crushed. American is no longer an option for me.

User avatar
girlonfire
Posts: 470
Joined: Sat Oct 30, 2010 12:45 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby girlonfire » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:43 pm

ash8309 wrote:Just got the email that I am denied for the PIPS scholarship. Crushed. American is no longer an option for me.

+1
not crushed... but AU is def not a viable option anymore at +48K/yr, not including COL

Jeffro
Posts: 163
Joined: Wed Nov 24, 2010 11:41 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby Jeffro » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:52 pm

girlonfire wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Just got the email that I am denied for the PIPS scholarship. Crushed. American is no longer an option for me.

+1
not crushed... but AU is def not a viable option anymore at +48K/yr, not including COL
+1
I figured this would be coming for me, but it was really the only reason I would have gone to American. Looks like DC is out.

User avatar
ash8309
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ash8309 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:01 pm

Jeffro wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Just got the email that I am denied for the PIPS scholarship. Crushed. American is no longer an option for me.

+1
not crushed... but AU is def not a viable option anymore at +48K/yr, not including COL
+1
I figured this would be coming for me, but it was really the only reason I would have gone to American. Looks like DC is out.


Meet you at the virtual bar tonight for a drink? That's what I need now.

lottero89
Posts: 7
Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:47 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby lottero89 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 9:58 pm

Yeah, I got the PIPS ding today too, which was kind of depressing.

Has anyone tried to leverage more money from American yet? I am above their 75% percentiles and got that 10K one-time scholarship (the most they gave to people aside from full-rides), but I don't see how that amount of money would convince anyone to go there who has gotten into better schools. I read on this forum somewhere that they start throwing more money at people when they don't receive their deposits later on in April - has anyone from earlier cycles (such as last year) had direct experience with this?

I guess I will write them an email asking them to consider increasing the scholarship...

User avatar
nightman09
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby nightman09 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:01 pm

Has anyone looks into American's PILRAP? For those interested in public interest, this seems a bit too good to be true or, maybe I'm just reading it wrong...

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby oreo3405 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:03 pm

nightman09 wrote:Has anyone looks into American's PILRAP? For those interested in public interest, this seems a bit too good to be true or, maybe I'm just reading it wrong...


A lot of schools offer a program like this, which im quite interested in. My luck, it'll lose its funding by the time i finish LS.

User avatar
nightman09
Posts: 109
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2010 4:40 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby nightman09 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 10:05 pm

oreo3405 wrote:
nightman09 wrote:Has anyone looks into American's PILRAP? For those interested in public interest, this seems a bit too good to be true or, maybe I'm just reading it wrong...


A lot of schools offer a program like this, which im quite interested in. My luck, it'll lose its funding by the time i finish LS.


AU's seems a bit more generous then most though...

User avatar
DeeCee
Posts: 1352
Joined: Mon Nov 15, 2010 4:09 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby DeeCee » Thu Mar 10, 2011 12:09 am

ash8309 wrote:
Jeffro wrote:
girlonfire wrote:
ash8309 wrote:Just got the email that I am denied for the PIPS scholarship. Crushed. American is no longer an option for me.

+1
not crushed... but AU is def not a viable option anymore at +48K/yr, not including COL
+1
I figured this would be coming for me, but it was really the only reason I would have gone to American. Looks like DC is out.


Meet you at the virtual bar tonight for a drink? That's what I need now.


::Hanging out at the virtual bar, anxiously awaiting other ex-PIPS applicants::

Anyway, now my decision is made for me. I'll be going to UNC this fall and spending 17k a year, because sticker at American is too costly. Guess I'll wait out my feelings for a couple days, and then withdraw Monday.

lrg
Posts: 3
Joined: Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:48 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby lrg » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:12 am

ash8309 wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:
lrg wrote:Got a phone call with a PIPS offer via a phone call last saturday. Numbers: 3.6/165. No formal email yet.


Same here, 165, 3.77. Said they hope to have 10 PIPSers.


Congrats to both of you! Did you guys accept? What type of public service/public interest law do you want to do?


Thanks! I haven't accepted yet but will most likely put down the deposit, since I am abroad until late April and would like to visit first. No family in DC, so the location is the only drawback. I would like to focus on environmental law, both domestic and international, as well as youth rights.

For those of you who didn't get the scholarship, I think the loan repayment program is a lot better than peer schools, and for those on waitlist, don't lose hope yet!

pcvmeli
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby pcvmeli » Thu Mar 10, 2011 9:03 am

I applied to for the PIPS and haven't gotten the ding email yet, of course the telephone number I submitted is my Mom's in the states and she doesn't often answer it. Hmm, hopefully I will hear something via email soon! Congrats to all those recipients out there!

pcvmeli
Posts: 42
Joined: Tue Jan 18, 2011 2:30 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby pcvmeli » Thu Mar 10, 2011 11:55 am

pcvmeli wrote:I applied to for the PIPS and haven't gotten the ding email yet, of course the telephone number I submitted is my Mom's in the states and she doesn't often answer it. Hmm, hopefully I will hear something via email soon! Congrats to all those recipients out there!

update: got rejection :(

limelightwave
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby limelightwave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Accepted today via email, 165/3.57

User avatar
philswfc2008
Posts: 102
Joined: Tue Jan 11, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby philswfc2008 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:43 pm

limelightwave wrote:Accepted today via email, 165/3.57


Congrats! When did you apply/go complete?

limelightwave
Posts: 83
Joined: Thu Feb 17, 2011 4:26 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby limelightwave » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:48 pm

philswfc2008 wrote:
limelightwave wrote:Accepted today via email, 165/3.57


Congrats! When did you apply/go complete?


Thanks! EDIT: Applied 2/24, Complete 3/2.

User avatar
red_alertz
Posts: 435
Joined: Tue Feb 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby red_alertz » Fri Mar 11, 2011 4:14 pm

accepted! first acceptance of the cycle, after dings and dings, can finally breath now




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”