American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
GoldenGopherHopeful

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby GoldenGopherHopeful » Wed Mar 02, 2011 12:04 pm

ash8309 wrote:
oreo3405 wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:has anyone heard any word on the public interest scholarships? when/if people are notified, please post!

All I know is that I'm in review, have heard nothing since.

In review too. It said that some will be notified in March and some not until April. I know someone who was WL'ed for the scholarship...but then eventually got it. Oh, the dreaded WL.

Just a thought about the PIPS scholarship: About 60 people on average transfer from American after their 1L year. I don't know if this is because they just want to go to GWU or Georgetown, or if it's something about AU that makes them leave, but something like the top 12-15% transfers out, according to available data.

The PIPS Scholarship is BINDING for three years, which means that if you transfer (or leave for any other reason), you have to pay it back for the first year. This is stated on the website. If you think there is any chance that you'll transfer, it might not be a good idea to accept it. FWIW, I've applied for public service scholarships at other schools, and AU's is the ONLY one I've seen that includes a financial penalty for leaving the school.

Edit: Recognizing, of course, that if you don't accept it, you would still owe the school money for your first year. From what I understand, however, the repayment terms are FAR less flexible if you ditch out on your scholarship than if you take out loans in advance.

PDTPapaBear

Postby PDTPapaBear » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:12 pm

balls wrote:right now my options are american or loyola (LA) at sticker, and im leaning towards american.

ill be at the LA reception tomorrow night, itll be nice to meet some potential classmates.

as far as housing in DC goes, id like to try to find an apartment or even a house as close to campus as possible (maybe a 3 br?) to share with other law students or working professionals.

be advised: i want to work hard at law school, but i want to enjoy myself too. i will be drinking, i will be going out and i will most certainly be looking for the coolest, most laid back people to live with. anyone else from socal?

Not from SoCal, but I'm seriously leaning toward American and looking for people to live with. Glad to see not everyone is so worried about studying that they're giving up on having fun.

balls

Postby balls » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:14 pm

PDTPapaBear wrote:
balls wrote:right now my options are american or loyola (LA) at sticker, and im leaning towards american.

ill be at the LA reception tomorrow night, itll be nice to meet some potential classmates.

as far as housing in DC goes, id like to try to find an apartment or even a house as close to campus as possible (maybe a 3 br?) to share with other law students or working professionals.

be advised: i want to work hard at law school, but i want to enjoy myself too. i will be drinking, i will be going out and i will most certainly be looking for the coolest, most laid back people to live with. anyone else from socal?

Not from SoCal, but I'm seriously leaning toward American and looking for people to live with. Glad to see not everyone is so worried about studying that they're giving up on having fun.

definitely. im assuming law school is gonna be a breeze, that im gonna have a fantastic experience, have tons of free time, not work too hard and then get a balling job when im done. im optimistic.

anywho, shoot me a pm if youre seriously interested in finding a place to share close to campus if you decide on american.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:28 pm

I know some people here went to the SF thing last night - how was it?

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:26 pm

Grrrrr not looking forward to traffic on the way to the event in Santa Monica. 4-6:30pm is like the worst time to drive on the 405!

MalachiConstant

Postby MalachiConstant » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:28 pm

SF event:

Free food, free booze. Interesting conversations with alums. Assistant dean of admissions and FA was there and was able to answer all my questions. The professor who attended had an interesting focus and has published some compelling work on the penal system.

I went in excited about the location of the school and externship opportunities but seriously worried about the pricetag and dwindling positions in DC.

I left the event even more excited about location and externships but MUCH more worried about the pricetag from talking with recent alums.

Overall I enjoyed it. AU events are the most interesting because you meet students who have these insanely narrow ideas of what they want to do so that DC is literally the only place they will have the opportunities to work in their field during school.

"Oh you are interested in criminal defense law. That is really interesting. Well I am attending AU looking to further my passion for IP law relating to Sanskrit and Cuneiform contracts of early Mesopotamia."

Just kidding.

restless

Postby restless » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:37 pm

WCL is definitely still in the running for me, but I don't think the reception helped to quell my previous concerns (cost + moving back to the bay area to practice). One thing it did do was re-affirm my passion for PI and diversity. By frequenting TLS way too much, I kinda forgot why I wanted to go to law school in the first place. A majority of users on this website have a "biglaw or bust" attitude, and I just started to think there were no other options.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Mar 02, 2011 7:47 pm

For those that attended the SF event last night, please give more details.

MalachiConstant wrote:I left the event even more excited about location and externships but MUCH more worried about the pricetag from talking with recent alums.
This needs to be elaborated on. What did the recent alums tell you? No jobs? Difficulty finding jobs? Are they working in "low" paying jobs?

MalachiConstant

Postby MalachiConstant » Wed Mar 02, 2011 8:31 pm

gdane wrote:For those that attended the SF event last night, please give more details.

MalachiConstant wrote:I left the event even more excited about location and externships but MUCH more worried about the pricetag from talking with recent alums.
This needs to be elaborated on. What did the recent alums tell you? No jobs? Difficulty finding jobs? Are they working in "low" paying jobs?

The ones I talked to had jobs. AU is not going to invite the unemployed/underemployed alumni to attend their event. There were more discreet mentions of classmates difficulty finding positions or relocating and lack of OCIs. but, as you quoted, my concern was with pricetag. The amounts the recent alumni had to take out to finance tuition + COL were a lot higher than I imagined, north of 200k even to those w/ scholly or needbased money.

This comes from someone, however, in the worst position with AU money-wise because they are so focused on need based aid and I will not qualify.

balls

Postby balls » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:53 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:Grrrrr not looking forward to traffic on the way to the event in Santa Monica. 4-6:30pm is like the worst time to drive on the 405!

who were you? i probably met you, I was a tall white dude with the purple shirt. Curious to hear your thoughts on the event. did you get a chance to talk to the DA? she was really cool.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 2:56 pm

orachelo wrote:I went complete on 1/4 and haven't heard a thing from American. Anyone else still in the same boat? Argh, hope they aren't saving me for the giant mass of ding notifications probably waiting to go out.

Im here waiting with you from 1/7. Not sure why this is taking so long.

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:17 pm

balls wrote: who were you? i probably met you, I was a tall white dude with the purple shirt. Curious to hear your thoughts on the event. did you get a chance to talk to the DA? she was really cool.

I was the only dummy wearing jeans. But I also had a blazer on and some heels, so not that bad. Short, and have long brown hair, I was sitting down at a table while the DA was talking. But as far as my thoughts go, I'm confidently ruling American out :? . And here's why: 1. )They basically reaffirmed my anxieties-that coming back to LA to find a good job is not impossible, but certainly going to be a difficult challege that you really have to put in the effort to overcome. All the alumni were pretty honest about that to me. 2.) They also confirmed that the average student, with exception to PIPS, will not get much aid, usually about $10,000 the first year. The COL is expensive out there, an apartment/studio being approx. $1300/month. You WILL come out of the school with around $180,000 in loans, and it WILL take you a while to pay them back. This alumni told me "I graduated in 1995, and I'm still paying them back, and I make DAMN GOOD MONEY. Interest accrues DAILY, so in the end I'm paying around $400,000"....YIKES. She straight up told me to try to save money and stay in Cali if I have a better or equal school that I can choose from. She said choose American over Southwestern, USF, Chapman, etc, because ranking absolutely matter to some extent, but go to Hastings(one of my options), UCLA, USC, etc, if you have the opportunity. 3.) I asked an alumni, "So is American's greatest asset DC?" And she responded, "American is DC. That's the only reason I, and anyone for that matter, went there and should go there. To experience DC. Everything is offered by most law schools.".......I had lots of other CRAZY conversations that I will share later, but that was the gist of it. What did you think?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:21 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:
balls wrote: who were you? i probably met you, I was a tall white dude with the purple shirt. Curious to hear your thoughts on the event. did you get a chance to talk to the DA? she was really cool.

I was the only dummy wearing jeans. But I also had a blazer on and some heels, so not that bad. Short, and have long brown hair, I was sitting down at a table while the DA was talking. But as far as my thoughts go, I'm confidently ruling American out :? . And here's why: 1. )They basically reaffirmed my anxieties-that coming back to LA to find a good job is not impossible, but certainly going to be a difficult challege that you really have to put in the effort to overcome. All the alumni were pretty honest about that to me. 2.) They also confirmed that the average student, with exception to PIPS, will not get much aid, usually about $10,000 the first year. The COL is expensive out there, an apartment/studio being approx. $1300/month. You WILL come out of the school with around $180,000 in loans, and it WILL take you a while to pay them back. This alumni told me "I graduated in 1995, and I'm still paying them back, and I make DAMN GOOD MONEY. Interest accrues DAILY, so in the end I'm paying around $400,000"....YIKES. She straight up told me to try to save money and stay in Cali if I have a better or equal school that I can choose from. She said choose American over Southwestern, USF, Chapman, etc, because ranking absolutely matter to some extent, but go to Hastings(one of my options), UCLA, USC, etc, if you have the opportunity. 3.) I asked an alumni, "So is American's greatest asset DC?" And she responded, "American is DC. That's the only reason I, and anyone for that matter, went there and should go there. To experience DC. Everything is offered by most law schools.".......I had lots of other CRAZY conversations that I will share later, but that was the gist of it. What did you think?

Wow, it's really nice though that the alumni were so honest about the school.. very unexpected!

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Mar 03, 2011 4:36 pm

FWIW, COL is not that high, especially for students. There is no reason why anyone should pay $1300 (or anything close to that) for a studio while in school here in DC. For anyone thinking about living DC, find yourself a roommate (or a bunch of them) and keep your costs down low. I pay $690 for a bedroom, including utilities, and have a bunch of space and a fireplace. I have an independent lease for my room only and rarely ever see my roomies unless we cross paths in the kitchen.

COL may be high here, but look around and you can find a good deal for the cheap.

balls

Postby balls » Thu Mar 03, 2011 5:31 pm

hmm im trying to remember if i spoke to you. dont remember the jeans, I think i overdressed. nobody cared that you wore jeans, I promise.

i really liked the people i talked to, except the douchey balding guy who works bankruptcy cases.

I think youre going to have to pup in the effort to find a job anywhere, from any school. I dont think you can take a single alum's opinion to heart without losing a broader view of the whole picture. not to say that finding a job in socal from american is going to be easy, but neither is finding a good job in sf from hastings.

it does suck that american is so stingy with scholarships. i was WELL below AU's median for gpa, so i dont expect any scholarships. I agree with the poster saying that theres no reason to spend 1300/month on housing, unless you really dont wanna live with people for whatever reason, you can probably almost cut that cost in half.

i know exactly the alum you're talking about, and honestly, she seemed a little off. student loan interest is tax deductible, so its not just a strait doubling of the amount you pay either.

she certainly doesnt speak for everyone when she said dc is the only reason her or "anyone else" went there. again, i know the lady - shes the one who said "the career development office was not a great group of people." honestly, she seemed almost bitter, and I would take what she said with a grain of salt.

the alum that i did meet there seemed to be private practitioners - 1 worked with his dad there in LA, another opened his own little firm. the other lady, who seemed the happiest and peppiest of all of them, was the DA. she was my favorite person there, and talking to her made me seriously consider the public route.

I would seriously consider hastings myself if i had applied and was accepted. the sf market is rough too, but at least you would already be here in cali. it makes me nervous too, but american is probably my best option right now. i could go to loyola at sticker but i dont want to. i dont mind risk, even giant financial risk, because i dont doubt my ability to do well in school and find a job in cali. then again im an optimist, and i want the best of everything - an east coast legal education and a west coast life after law school. who knows how it will turn out? but i do know that almost all of it depends on me, and i can live with that.

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Thu Mar 03, 2011 6:09 pm

Ok ya that lady was extremely blunt and kinda negative, but she did make a lot of decent points. She was cousins with that guy that opened up his own business litigation practice. He told me he worked for a big firm in DC after law school, then came back to LA and opened his own practice. He said he isn't worried about paying back his loans because he makes good money, and loans are basically a nearly unavoidable part of life if you want to take the legal route and you just have to deal with it. So he made me feel pretty good. BUT then I talked to his cousin, the lady we both talked to, and she said he works from home and has to seek out clients, he had a REALLLY hard time finding a job after law school than he likes to admit, and his parents pay his loans and he's paying them back. Don't know if any of that is true, but it really made me take what any of them say with a grain of salt, including her I guess. And ya she did say that all the career center does is have your resume on file and call you if by any chance an alumni in your area is looking for someone, which kinda shocked me, and I'm doubting(hoping) that's not true.

One of the admissions people told me that rent was $1300/mo so that's where I got that number from....but ya maybe she was talking about living alone. One really good point they made that stuck with me is that you can always come back to LA, but you're likely not going to just move to DC for a few years if you stay here for law school...like it's kind of a once on a lifetime opportunity to work and practice in the capital, and make connections there. Also, the student that's graduating 2011 was the one I took most serious because she's going through what we are going to go through in three years. She's graduating and is coming back to LA and has things lined up. She said as long as you go into American with the mindset and plan to come back, and make that clear by taking summer externships in LA, then you should be fine when you graduate.

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:05 pm

I just got a very nice call from a professor at American offering me the PIPS scholarship. I have already accepted a full scholly at BC, so I turned it down. I hope that opens a place for someone else! If anything, here's a heads up that decisions regarding the award are probably going out this week.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 5:26 pm

IsleMet wrote:I just got a very nice call from a professor at American offering me the PIPS scholarship. I have already accepted a full scholly at BC, so I turned it down. I hope that opens a place for someone else! If anything, here's a heads up that decisions regarding the award are probably going out this week.

Ah! Well, congrats on BC scholly and being offered PIPS - can't believe they are making PIPS calls now. Can you share or PM me your numbers? Really really really want PIPS!

Jeffro

Postby Jeffro » Sun Mar 06, 2011 9:44 pm

IsleMet wrote:I just got a very nice call from a professor at American offering me the PIPS scholarship. I have already accepted a full scholly at BC, so I turned it down. I hope that opens a place for someone else! If anything, here's a heads up that decisions regarding the award are probably going out this week.
What are your numbers? All of the other PIPS applicants need to frantically contrast and compare ourselves to you until more offers go out.

IsleMet

Postby IsleMet » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:07 pm

Jeffro wrote:
What are your numbers? All of the other PIPS applicants need to frantically contrast and compare ourselves to you until more offers go out.

166, 3.6, 2 years Teach for America, Masters degree, significant service leadership experience during undergrad

GL to all hoping for good news!

Edit: I really think awards like this are more qualitative than quantitative. I won one of the BC Public Service Scholys and my numbers are average for BC.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:49 pm

Jeffro wrote:

I applied and have not heard anything. 163/3.0/4-ish yrs WE in national-global security non-profits. Others? Everyone post here when you hear anything! :)

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Sun Mar 06, 2011 11:50 pm

IsleMet wrote:
Jeffro wrote:

166, 3.6, 2 years Teach for America, Masters degree, significant service leadership experience during undergrad

Edit: I really think awards like this are more qualitative than quantitative. I won one of the BC Public Service Scholys and my numbers are average for BC.

Don't they also do some type of notification by email? I'd love to know when I'll hear about PIPS, since I applied too.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:14 am

DeeCee wrote:
IsleMet wrote:
Jeffro wrote:

Don't they also do some type of notification by email? I'd love to know when I'll hear about PIPS, since I applied too.

It said selected applicants will be called and emailed -- all other candidates just emailed. So if you're a ding, I think it's just an email.

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:14 pm

Anyone hear any more on PIPS today??? I was staring at my phone ALL DAY.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:55 pm

received my ding email today. Broke my heart.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”