American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
jplwine
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby jplwine » Sun Feb 27, 2011 5:40 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:Anyone who received a merit based scholarship not submit need access yet? Would that factor into their decision?


They told me Friday via e-mail that they haven't accessed the need access info yet and that they probably would this week. I was accepted about 1 month ago and completed need access a few weeks ago. No scholarship offer, though. Disappointing considering I was in just two weeks after applying. Hopefully someone will come through with some $$$$$$$$.

SteelyDan
Posts: 139
Joined: Fri Feb 11, 2011 2:43 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby SteelyDan » Mon Feb 28, 2011 2:26 pm

Called the admissions office this afternoon after receiving the same offer ($10k one-time) in the mail that they emailed Friday. The guy said that with the exception of PIPS, there are NO recurring scholarships for 1Ls. I asked about the possibility of getting it increased, and he said $10k is the max.

I was really excited about American, it was one of my top choices. I'll be withdrawing in the next few minutes.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby URMdan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:20 pm

SteelyDan wrote:Called the admissions office this afternoon after receiving the same offer ($10k one-time) in the mail that they emailed Friday. The guy said that with the exception of PIPS, there are NO recurring scholarships for 1Ls. I asked about the possibility of getting it increased, and he said $10k is the max.

I was really excited about American, it was one of my top choices. I'll be withdrawing in the next few minutes.


Hate to say I told ya so..

folkitup123
Posts: 18
Joined: Sun Jan 24, 2010 8:28 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby folkitup123 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:26 pm

URMdan wrote:
SteelyDan wrote:Called the admissions office this afternoon after receiving the same offer ($10k one-time) in the mail that they emailed Friday. The guy said that with the exception of PIPS, there are NO recurring scholarships for 1Ls. I asked about the possibility of getting it increased, and he said $10k is the max.

I was really excited about American, it was one of my top choices. I'll be withdrawing in the next few minutes.


Hate to say I told ya so..


I cannot envision how American offering some of the most measly scholarships in the biz won't hurt their enrollment.

MalachiConstant
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby MalachiConstant » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:30 pm

folkitup123 wrote: I cannot envision how American offering some of the most measly scholarships in the biz won't hurt their enrollment.


People will act irrationally to live in DC. Same reason why Hastings offers little merit $, yet people will pay to live in SF.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 1:56 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:Same reason why Hastings offers little merit $, yet people will pay to live in SF.


Yeah, that's me. :| USF only offers one year scholarships as well, most of them around $10,000-$15,000..

MalachiConstant
Posts: 38
Joined: Mon Feb 07, 2011 7:14 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby MalachiConstant » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:
MalachiConstant wrote:Same reason why Hastings offers little merit $, yet people will pay to live in SF.


Yeah, that's me. :| USF only offers one year scholarships as well, most of them around $10,000-$15,000..


Let's all be honest, though. If I had my heart set on living in one of the two cities, I would gladly pay the money to give myself a better opportunity to accomplish that. That mindset may violate the main tenets of TLS, that money/ranking/placement are all that matter, but some are willing to sacrifice Biglaw and Beemers for a different life (ie small firm in a better location).

Anyone else going to the SF event for AU tonight?

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 3:25 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:Anyone else going to the SF event for AU tonight?


I was going to go, but I decided to cancel over the weekend. I already bought a plane ticket like a month ago to go to the ASD in DC, and I didn't get a scholarship offer when everyone else did, thus I don't think I'll attend AU anymore... and Tuesday nights are my pub quiz night. I'll be interested to hear how it is though!

balls
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby balls » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:26 pm

right now my options are american or loyola (LA) at sticker, and im leaning towards american.

ill be at the LA reception tomorrow night, itll be nice to meet some potential classmates.

as far as housing in DC goes, id like to try to find an apartment or even a house as close to campus as possible (maybe a 3 br?) to share with other law students or working professionals.

be advised: i want to work hard at law school, but i want to enjoy myself too. i will be drinking, i will be going out and i will most certainly be looking for the coolest, most laid back people to live with. anyone else from socal?

HeavenWood
Posts: 2915
Joined: Wed Jul 28, 2010 6:42 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby HeavenWood » Tue Mar 01, 2011 5:40 pm

It's nice to see that American no longer fanatically yield protects.

It's a shame to hear that they can't give anyone a real scholarship.

User avatar
YankeesFan
Posts: 533
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 8:42 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby YankeesFan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 7:56 pm

Waitlisted at the law school but just received an acceptance to the International Affairs masters program.

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby LttleBlakDress » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:01 pm

I just told them I'm no longer coming to the event tonight and I'll be withdrawing soon. No way I can justify WCL at sticker over GW at sticker right? Shame I bothered with needaccess hell for them. Good luck to those still waiting.

User avatar
lvsmithmarsh
Posts: 104
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:02 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby lvsmithmarsh » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:02 pm

Withdrew this morning. I really like American's program (and I love DC), but with only the $10/k 1st year scholarship, there's no way I could afford to attend.

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:12 pm

man im sitting here deciding whether it's worth the money and effort to fill out that damn need access form. Since they say that 3/1 is their deadline, does that mean I will literally not be able to submit it after this date and that I won't be eligible for institutional need based grants?

I really wish they could make their decision already, or else extend the date of the deadline for people who are still waiting to hear...

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11792
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:22 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:No way I can justify WCL at sticker over GW at sticker right?


Yeah, agreed x 100. I still hope you get into Hastings though!

lsatextreme
Posts: 523
Joined: Thu Sep 24, 2009 2:18 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Mar 01, 2011 8:57 pm

ya'll still waiting on decisions...did you guys do the need access application?

User avatar
ash8309
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ash8309 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:25 pm

lsatextreme wrote:man im sitting here deciding whether it's worth the money and effort to fill out that damn need access form. Since they say that 3/1 is their deadline, does that mean I will literally not be able to submit it after this date and that I won't be eligible for institutional need based grants?

I really wish they could make their decision already, or else extend the date of the deadline for people who are still waiting to hear...


I had the same thought. As long as you've done your FAFSA, it's not too much more information to fill out. Get your parents on the line with their 09 or 10 tax returns and you'll be done in 20 minutes. It's annoying, especially not knowing if the return is worth the investment, but not too painful.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby URMdan » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:35 pm

Lucky for me AU's need based grants range from 5-15k, so I'm gonna get some money after all (15K baby).

bigkahuna2020
Posts: 494
Joined: Tue Nov 09, 2010 2:12 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby bigkahuna2020 » Tue Mar 01, 2011 9:48 pm

MalachiConstant wrote:
folkitup123 wrote: I cannot envision how American offering some of the most measly scholarships in the biz won't hurt their enrollment.


People will act irrationally to live in DC. Same reason why Hastings offers little merit $, yet people will pay to live in SF.


TBF, DC is no SF/NYC. Unless your childhood dream is to be a lobbyist or something.

Also, this is probably the reason peer schools have significantly higher #'s

User avatar
Shammis
Posts: 304
Joined: Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:26 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby Shammis » Wed Mar 02, 2011 4:26 am

balls wrote:ill be at the LA reception tomorrow night, itll be nice to meet some potential classmates.


I'll see ya there. Dress code = suit right?

balls
Posts: 57
Joined: Mon Feb 28, 2011 8:58 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby balls » Wed Mar 02, 2011 5:18 am

jstubbs wrote:
balls wrote:ill be at the LA reception tomorrow night, itll be nice to meet some potential classmates.


I'll see ya there. Dress code = suit right?


i have no idea. the invite says biz/biz casual. i might not wear a jacket.

im marc btw, if you find a tall, lanky white dude it just might be me.

laurencita7
Posts: 55
Joined: Fri Dec 10, 2010 12:38 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby laurencita7 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 6:21 am

has anyone heard any word on the public interest scholarships? when/if people are notified, please post!

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby oreo3405 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 9:34 am

laurencita7 wrote:has anyone heard any word on the public interest scholarships? when/if people are notified, please post!


All I know is that I'm in review, have heard nothing since.

User avatar
ash8309
Posts: 179
Joined: Sun Jul 18, 2010 12:18 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby ash8309 » Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:51 am

oreo3405 wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:has anyone heard any word on the public interest scholarships? when/if people are notified, please post!


All I know is that I'm in review, have heard nothing since.


In review too. It said that some will be notified in March and some not until April. I know someone who was WL'ed for the scholarship...but then eventually got it. Oh, the dreaded WL.

orachelo
Posts: 102
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 1:39 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby orachelo » Wed Mar 02, 2011 11:55 am

I went complete on 1/4 and haven't heard a thing from American. Anyone else still in the same boat? Argh, hope they aren't saving me for the giant mass of ding notifications probably waiting to go out.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: dasq5511 and 7 guests