American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Ek87

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby Ek87 » Thu Feb 17, 2011 11:50 pm

yay! I am too!

LocalNative

Postby LocalNative » Fri Feb 18, 2011 12:52 pm

Applied for the JD/MPP - Got into the School of Public Affairs last night, still waiting for a response from AU Law.

voltage88

Postby voltage88 » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:07 pm

Admitted yesterday!! WOO. Is it for certain that we receive scholarship info in March or April??

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:33 pm

jstubbs wrote:Anyone going to the regional event in LA?...Not looking forward to driving to the west side in the middle of the week, but hope to see some of you there.

I am!!! See you there!!

One of the main things I'm concerned about with attending American is finding a job in California after law school in DC because you start to network yourself and build connections in the area you're in. Also, it's a pricey school that's known for not giving too much aid so I'm gonna ask about that.... We'll see.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:42 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:
jstubbs wrote:Anyone going to the regional event in LA?...Not looking forward to driving to the west side in the middle of the week, but hope to see some of you there.

I am!!! See you there!!

One of the main things I'm concerned about with attending American is finding a job in California after law school in DC because you start to network yourself and build connections in the area you're in. Also, it's a pricey school that's known for not giving too much aid so I'm gonna ask about that.... We'll see.

Me too. American has a 68% Ca bar passage rate which is pretty good considering a lot of cali schools only have 65-70%

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:52 pm

hmmm 68% is...eh...

What do you guys think- as of right now, I've been accepted to University of San Francisco with a $35,000 first year scholarship, and American. I want to practice in LA or SF after law school. American is ranked about 44th and USF is 87th. American is ranked higher, in the center of political activity, but probably going to be more expensive and further away from where I ultimately want to end up. USF is ranked much lower, but it is in SF, and the aid is decent.

I still have to hear from lots of other schools but as of right now, I can't choose between those 2 options. What do you guys think????

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Feb 18, 2011 2:56 pm

HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:hmmm 68% is...eh...

What do you guys think- as of right now, I've been accepted to University of San Francisco with a $35,000 first year scholarship, and American. I want to practice in LA or SF after law school. American is ranked about 44th and USF is 87th. American is ranked higher, in the center of political activity, but probably going to be more expensive and further away from where I ultimately want to end up. USF is ranked much lower, but it is in SF, and the aid is decent.

I still have to hear from lots of other schools but as of right now, I can't choose between those 2 options. What do you guys think????

USF is ranked at 98. American is my top chioce, but I am wait listed. I live in the bay area and want to work there. USF does not place that well supposidly, but everyone in SF went there almost.

Did you get into Santa Clara?

I found this to be very interesting

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ECWYhV4t0wE=&tabid=2269

You need to visit DC and tour USF before you decide...I am also concerned about leaving all my friends and family in Cali, but I gots dreams.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:25 pm

Forget about rankings. They mean nothing outside of the top 10 or so schools.

Go to U San Francisco. No question about it. You have a $35000 scholarship and you want to work in LA or SF? Go to USF. AU will do nothing for you except leave you with a massive amount of debt.

Good luck.

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:47 pm

gdane wrote:Forget about rankings. They mean nothing outside of the top 10 or so schools.

Go to U San Francisco. No question about it. You have a $35000 scholarship and you want to work in LA or SF? Go to USF. AU will do nothing for you except leave you with a massive amount of debt.

Good luck.

because i'm wondering about this exact thing, what happens if you say get into a 20-30ish school not in the state you want to practice vs a 80-90s or beyond in a state where you do want to practice? Where do you draw the line? Let's just say for the purposes of this hypothetical, money isn't an issue

Chouchous

Postby Chouchous » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:53 pm

lsatextreme wrote:
gdane wrote:Forget about rankings. They mean nothing outside of the top 10 or so schools.

Good luck.

because i'm wondering about this exact thing, what happens if you say get into a 20-30ish school not in the state you want to practice vs a 80-90s or beyond in a state where you do want to practice? Where do you draw the line? Let's just say for the purposes of this hypothetical, money isn't an issue

Outside of the T14, go to the school in the region you want to work in, preferably on a nice scholarship. use the three years to network like crazy and you will be in a much better position than coming from a school outside of the region.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:55 pm

Chouchous wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:

Good luck.

Outside of the T14, go to the school in the region you want to work in, preferably on a nice scholarship. use the three years to network like crazy and you will be in a much better position than coming from a school outside of the region.

Will not make a difference either way. USF will not bring to big law..

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Fri Feb 18, 2011 8:59 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
HopelesslyOptimistic wrote:hmmm 68% is...eh...

USF is ranked at 98. American is my top chioce, but I am wait listed. I live in the bay area and want to work there. USF does not place that well supposidly, but everyone in SF went there almost.

Did you get into Santa Clara?

I found this to be very interesting

http://admissions.calbar.ca.gov/LinkClick.aspx?fileticket=ECWYhV4t0wE=&tabid=2269

You need to visit DC and tour USF before you decide...I am also concerned about leaving all my friends and family in Cali, but I gots dreams.

interesting info. wonder if i can find this for MA.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:09 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Chouchous wrote:
lsatextreme wrote:

Good luck.

FWIW I actually made a spreadsheet comparing the number of graduates I found at big law firms in the bay area from schools that have accepted me and USF had a few, but AU had just as many. (I combed through bios at top firms while I was killing time babysitting. Totally lame, I know.)

Edit for Clarity: This is in the Bay Area offices of Big Law firms.
Last edited by LttleBlakDress on Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

gdane

Postby gdane » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:09 pm

jarofsoup wrote:

If you want to work in SF, you have a better shot of getting biglaw going to USF than you do AU.

AU only places roughly 15% of its class into biglaw. Most of this is in DC.

Unless you have a full ride or close to it, dont go to a school outside of your region because its "ranked" higher.

HopelesslyOptimistic

Postby HopelesslyOptimistic » Fri Feb 18, 2011 9:24 pm

So I got into UC Hastings today via phone call, which makes my decision wayyyy easier. Really happy about it. Hastings was one of my tops, already visited the campus and everything. So most likely going there instead of USF, regardless of the scholarship, but still have to hear from more schools before making anything official.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Feb 21, 2011 11:19 pm

what are the fellas wearing to the NYC dinner tomorrow? i know it's "business attire" but is anyone else planning on going with some khakis and a blazer?

Shammis

Postby Shammis » Tue Feb 22, 2011 2:00 am

URMdan wrote:what are the fellas wearing to the NYC dinner tomorrow? i know it's "business attire" but is anyone else planning on going with some khakis and a blazer?

Wear a suit. Especially for a dinner, and especially in NYC. LA can be a little more casual, but I'm still wearing a suit to the LA dinner. Just my 2 cents.

smartblonde87

Postby smartblonde87 » Tue Feb 22, 2011 12:54 pm

wait list by email a couple weeks ago.

boyalexboy

Postby boyalexboy » Tue Feb 22, 2011 1:28 pm

Accepted on Friday by email.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:49 pm

Do a lot of American students get capital hill and gov agency internships/ jobs?

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:54 pm

waitlisted last Friday. I took the option of staying on the list. anyone know when they tend to get to the waitlisted people? Their email made it sound like June/July which would really suck

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 22, 2011 3:57 pm

aknecht wrote:waitlisted last Friday. I took the option of staying on the list. anyone know when they tend to get to the waitlisted people? Their email made it sound like June/July which would really suck

After and between seat deposit dates and first day of class usually.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 22, 2011 4:23 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Do a lot of American students get capital hill and gov agency internships/ jobs?

Yes, American places quite well in public interest jobs

abonda01

Postby abonda01 » Fri Feb 25, 2011 8:57 am

Anyone receive grants / financial aid information or have an idea of when that is released?

jplwine

Postby jplwine » Fri Feb 25, 2011 10:09 am

abonda01 wrote:Anyone receive grants / financial aid information or have an idea of when that is released?

Hope it is soon. I have been hearing everything from late February/early March to April. Gotta be before seat deposits are due...right?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”