American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
mexicanwa

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby mexicanwa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 2:46 pm

restless wrote:In at WCL via e-mail! This is a huge relief because it was the first decision I've received... Phew. I sent in all my applications within the 2nd-3rd week of January but I went complete at all schools almost immediately.

Received: 01/19
Decision: 01/31
Stats: 163 (most recent)/156, 3.33

Definitely considering WCL, especially if I don't get into my reach schools.

Hmmm sent the same day with similar stats and still no decision for me.

queenlizzie13

Postby queenlizzie13 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:54 pm

I withdrew. Good luck to everyone still waiting and best wishes to those who decide to attend!

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 01, 2011 4:59 pm

Does anyone here know what chances are comming off of the wait-list. I was suprised that I even got wait listed...

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:04 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Does anyone here know what chances are comming off of the wait-list. I was suprised that I even got wait listed...

I think it depends on if you were borderline or if you were a victim of American's YP.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:07 pm

jarofsoup wrote:Does anyone here know what chances are comming off of the wait-list. I was suprised that I even got wait listed...

I was waitlisted too...from what i've read through my google search its not too easy. I'm going to the info session and writing LOCI. Also using a couple of my contacts at the school too. Hey I'm trying anything.

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:09 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

I think it depends on if you were borderline or if you were a victim of American's YP.

I am borderline above 25th GPA 157 LSAT for part time. Post grad. work with good grades and work experience.

I am just concerned I will have to wait until August.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:10 pm

I don't understand the fuss over YP. If you are YP'ed and really want to go to the school, can't you just contact the school and let them know you'd really like to go there if they accept you?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:14 pm

URMdan wrote:I don't understand the fuss over YP. If you are YP'ed and really want to go to the school, can't you just contact the school and let them know you'd really like to go there if they accept you?

Id say its

a) pride
b) people may want to use that acceptance and any possible merit aid as a bargaining chip
c) the added hassle of having to beg a school you are qualified to get into

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:16 pm

If it was your top chioce ED is the best option(besides the possible lack of scholarship options)

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:26 pm

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:34 pm

I asked this at the top of the page but it seems to have been lost in the discussion. Is there any reason for concern if I sent my app in on 1/19 and there have been others (with similar sent dates and stats) that have already received decisions?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:35 pm

mexicanwa wrote:I asked this at the top of the page but it seems to have been lost in the discussion. Is there any reason for concern if I sent my app in on 1/19 and there have been others (with similar sent dates and stats) that have already received decisions?

I wouldnt be too concerned because there are others still waiting as well. I went complete on 1/14 and am still sitting at complete.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:37 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
mexicanwa wrote:I asked this at the top of the page but it seems to have been lost in the discussion. Is there any reason for concern if I sent my app in on 1/19 and there have been others (with similar sent dates and stats) that have already received decisions?

I wouldnt be too concerned because there are others still waiting as well. I went complete on 1/14 and am still sitting at complete.

+1

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Tue Feb 01, 2011 5:40 pm

Thanks guys

MTKennedy

Postby MTKennedy » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:13 pm

Flips88 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

+1

You are concerned about 1/19!!! I've been sitting at complete since 11/11

lsatextreme

Postby lsatextreme » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:14 pm

MTKennedy wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

+1

You are concerned about 1/19!!! I've been sitting at complete since 11/11

you must be a splitter bc it sounds like they're definitely holding out on you

jplwine

Postby jplwine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:41 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
URMdan wrote:I don't understand the fuss over YP. If you are YP'ed and really want to go to the school, can't you just contact the school and let them know you'd really like to go there if they accept you?

Id say its

a) pride
b) people may want to use that acceptance and any possible merit aid as a bargaining chip

Stupid question...what is YP?

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:50 pm

jplwine wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Id say its

a) pride

Yield protection. Schools like American WL or deny students who are obviously qualified, usually well above both medians, because they know they will likely get into a better school and not show up anyway.

jplwine

Postby jplwine » Tue Feb 01, 2011 6:53 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
jplwine wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:

Id say its

a) pride

Yield protection. Schools like American WL or deny students who are obviously qualified, usually well above both medians, because they know they will likely get into a better school and not show up anyway.

Thanks

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Feb 01, 2011 8:26 pm

School usually take a month or two to get back to you. For those that have been complete since the 19th, keep waiting. Its only been 2 weeks.

If AU YP'd you and youre still interested, they'll snatch you from the waitlist immediately after they go to it. Last year most of the WL-Accepted people were in the 161-164 range. Not sure about GPA.

Just send in some well written LOCI's that demonstrate how committed you are to AU.

Good luck everyone!

Patriot29

Postby Patriot29 » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:04 pm

I just got waitlisted with a 3.5/157 (non-URM). You think they're messin with me? Why would they torture me like this instead of a flat out rejection!!!! Also, what happens if you write a LOCI but later down the line find out that you got into a better school (I'm hoping for UConn which is a better school for me)?

jarofsoup

Postby jarofsoup » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:06 pm

Patriot29 wrote:I just got waitlisted with a 3.5/157 (non-URM). You think they're messin with me? Why would they torture me like this instead of a flat out rejection!!!! Also, what happens if you write a LOCI but later down the line find out that you got into a better school (I'm hoping for UConn which is a better school for me)?

An LOCI is not binding....

HappyinDC

Postby HappyinDC » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:13 pm

jarofsoup wrote:
Patriot29 wrote:I just got waitlisted with a 3.5/157 (non-URM). You think they're messin with me? Why would they torture me like this instead of a flat out rejection!!!! Also, what happens if you write a LOCI but later down the line find out that you got into a better school (I'm hoping for UConn which is a better school for me)?

Another dumb question....I cannot for the life of me figure out what LOCI stands for. Help?

Justathought

Postby Justathought » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:14 pm

HappyinDC wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

Another dumb question....I cannot for the life of me figure out what LOCI stands for. Help?

Letter of Continued Interest. :)

mexicanwa

Postby mexicanwa » Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:15 pm

HappyinDC wrote:
jarofsoup wrote:

Letter of continued interest :D
Last edited by mexicanwa on Wed Feb 02, 2011 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”