American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Jan 28, 2011 8:05 pm

URMdan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:So American is just going to give everyone the big "F U" and not send out anything before the weekend? Le sigh....


Do you mind me asking why you want to go to AU if you're already accepted to GWU?


I like to have options. Also, I doubt I'll be going to GWU, barring a miracle of all miracles, because I dont have the money :(

American is not much cheaper, but I would like to get into both and see what if any $ they give me.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby URMdan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:19 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
URMdan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:So American is just going to give everyone the big "F U" and not send out anything before the weekend? Le sigh....


Do you mind me asking why you want to go to AU if you're already accepted to GWU?


I like to have options. Also, I doubt I'll be going to GWU, barring a miracle of all miracles, because I dont have the money :(

American is not much cheaper, but I would like to get into both and see what if any $ they give me.


I hear you about having options, but seriously it's not like you're picking between two schools from different regions.

And you're aware that you can take out loans to cover your expenses, right? With a degree from GWU you'll be more than able to pay it back.

User avatar
queenlizzie13
Posts: 938
Joined: Tue Jun 08, 2010 9:30 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby queenlizzie13 » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:25 pm

URMdan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
URMdan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:So American is just going to give everyone the big "F U" and not send out anything before the weekend? Le sigh....


Do you mind me asking why you want to go to AU if you're already accepted to GWU?


I like to have options. Also, I doubt I'll be going to GWU, barring a miracle of all miracles, because I dont have the money :(

American is not much cheaper, but I would like to get into both and see what if any $ they give me.


I hear you about having options, but seriously it's not like you're picking between two schools from different regions.

And you're aware that you can take out loans to cover your expenses, right? With a degree
from GWU you'll be more than able to pay it back.


If I wanted to be in DC, I would choose GW over American in a heartbeat. You likely won't get much $ from American anyhow. LSAC had it at either 12% or 25% for merit based grants. I forgot which one was George Mason and American. Plus GW definitely give you a better opportunity in DC.

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby URMdan » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:27 pm

queenlizzie13 wrote:
URMdan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
URMdan wrote:
Do you mind me asking why you want to go to AU if you're already accepted to GWU?


I like to have options. Also, I doubt I'll be going to GWU, barring a miracle of all miracles, because I dont have the money :(

American is not much cheaper, but I would like to get into both and see what if any $ they give me.


I hear you about having options, but seriously it's not like you're picking between two schools from different regions.

And you're aware that you can take out loans to cover your expenses, right? With a degree
from GWU you'll be more than able to pay it back.


If I wanted to be in DC, I would choose GW over American in a heartbeat. You likely won't get much $ from American anyhow. LSAC had it at either 12% or 25% for merit based grants. I forgot which one was George Mason and American. Plus GW definitely give you a better opportunity in DC.


TITCR.

BTW - George Mason is at 25%

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Fri Jan 28, 2011 10:29 pm

URMdan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
URMdan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:So American is just going to give everyone the big "F U" and not send out anything before the weekend? Le sigh....


Do you mind me asking why you want to go to AU if you're already accepted to GWU?


I like to have options. Also, I doubt I'll be going to GWU, barring a miracle of all miracles, because I dont have the money :(

American is not much cheaper, but I would like to get into both and see what if any $ they give me.


I hear you about having options, but seriously it's not like you're picking between two schools from different regions.

And you're aware that you can take out loans to cover your expenses, right? With a degree from GWU you'll be more than able to pay it back.


Im already up to my eyeballs in undergraduate debt, so I really want to take out as little money as possible. GWU would be nice, but if American throws me more money I may have to just go with them. At this point I am chasing the money, and I seriously doubt GWU is going to give me a dime. I still cannot believe they even accepted me, because that was a hail mary and LSP had be at a big red DENY. I would LOVE to stay here in DC, and if I can swing GWU I will. But if I cant I would like to have American as a DC option as well.

Worst case scenario I head up to Queens and go to St John's :/

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12317
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby gdane » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:20 am

George Mason can suck it.

Cowgirl, GWU really is a much better option in DC. Go!

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:34 pm

You guys are swaying me GWU's way! I dont like risk so I am not trying to borrow an assload of loans, but if GWU gives me a better shot at merit aid than AU, I may have to just go with them.

My main concern is that I am more "competitive" at AU than GW, so I feel like expecting merit aid from GW is a foolish thing to do. Whenever my admissions packet comes in I'll be able to make a better decision...

User avatar
URMdan
Posts: 402
Joined: Sun Oct 10, 2010 8:03 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby URMdan » Sat Jan 29, 2011 1:37 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:You guys are swaying me GWU's way! I dont like risk so I am not trying to borrow an assload of loans, but if GWU gives me a better shot at merit aid than AU, I may have to just go with them.

My main concern is that I am more "competitive" at AU than GW, so I feel like expecting merit aid from GW is a foolish thing to do. Whenever my admissions packet comes in I'll be able to make a better decision...


go big or go home baby girl

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby oreo3405 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 2:04 pm

URMdan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:You guys are swaying me GWU's way! I dont like risk so I am not trying to borrow an assload of loans, but if GWU gives me a better shot at merit aid than AU, I may have to just go with them.

My main concern is that I am more "competitive" at AU than GW, so I feel like expecting merit aid from GW is a foolish thing to do. Whenever my admissions packet comes in I'll be able to make a better decision...


go big or go home baby girl


+1!

BizOwner
Posts: 89
Joined: Thu Dec 31, 2009 10:16 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby BizOwner » Mon Jan 31, 2011 9:21 am

For those of you emailing LOCI to AU, are you attaching a document or just sending in email format?

Im under the impressions that they would print it out either way to include in a file. No?

mchildr1
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Nov 08, 2010 4:11 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby mchildr1 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 1:45 pm

IN TODDAAAYYY!!!! Had been complete since 1/10 and just got my acceptance today.

To say that I am excited would be an understatement

c0anna10
Posts: 11
Joined: Thu Dec 02, 2010 12:42 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby c0anna10 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:18 pm

I just checked mine, after I saw the above poster got accepted and mine went application complete today, but this is the second time it has gone complete. Has anyone gone complete on two separate occasions, and been ultimately accepted?

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby Justathought » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:20 pm

c0anna10 wrote:I just checked mine, after I saw the above poster got accepted and mine went application complete today, but this is the second time it has gone complete. Has anyone gone complete on two separate occasions, and been ultimately accepted?


+1, I had the same thing happen today. I applied PT though, and although my GPA is low, my LSAT should make me competitive. So I would also like to hear about this.

xqhp82
Posts: 311
Joined: Wed Aug 19, 2009 12:37 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby xqhp82 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:24 pm

IN TODAY!!! MY FIRST ACCEPTANCE AFTER 10 REJECTIONS!!!

complete 1/10, that's quite a quick turnover! AU isn't my first choice but I'm so happy that I finally heard some good news!

User avatar
jplwine
Posts: 92
Joined: Sun Nov 01, 2009 11:44 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby jplwine » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:26 pm

mchildr1 wrote:IN TODDAAAYYY!!!! Had been complete since 1/10 and just got my acceptance today.

To say that I am excited would be an understatement


The exact same for me. This is my first acceptance, so I am very excited. Best of Luck!

mexicanwa
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby mexicanwa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:40 pm

My application was complete 1/21 and again 1/28, 3.33(3.56) and 159 (URM)

User avatar
Justathought
Posts: 977
Joined: Sun Nov 21, 2010 11:16 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby Justathought » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:41 pm

mexicanwa wrote:My application was complete 1/21 and again 1/28, 3.33(3.56) and 159 (URM)


Thanks for the info. Were you admitted?

mexicanwa
Posts: 38
Joined: Wed Jan 26, 2011 5:56 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby mexicanwa » Mon Jan 31, 2011 2:43 pm

Justathought wrote:
mexicanwa wrote:My application was complete 1/21 and again 1/28, 3.33(3.56) and 159 (URM)


Thanks for the info. Were you admitted?


Not yet, I am hoping to hear today based on the other people in this thread.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:18 pm

mchildr1 wrote:IN TODDAAAYYY!!!! Had been complete since 1/10 and just got my acceptance today.

To say that I am excited would be an understatement


Did you get an email or did you check your status checker? I've been sitting complete since 1/14 and hope to hear something today as well

User avatar
oreo3405
Posts: 217
Joined: Tue Oct 05, 2010 9:25 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby oreo3405 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:21 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
mchildr1 wrote:IN TODDAAAYYY!!!! Had been complete since 1/10 and just got my acceptance today.

To say that I am excited would be an understatement


Did you get an email or did you check your status checker? I've been sitting complete since 1/14 and hope to hear something today as well


I received an email when I was admitted.

cowgirl_bebop
Posts: 901
Joined: Sun Aug 15, 2010 2:32 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Mon Jan 31, 2011 3:37 pm

oreo3405 wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
mchildr1 wrote:IN TODDAAAYYY!!!! Had been complete since 1/10 and just got my acceptance today.

To say that I am excited would be an understatement


Did you get an email or did you check your status checker? I've been sitting complete since 1/14 and hope to hear something today as well


I received an email when I was admitted.


Oh ok. Well congrats to everyone who got in!!

User avatar
gdane
Posts: 12317
Joined: Sat Sep 26, 2009 2:41 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby gdane » Mon Jan 31, 2011 4:58 pm

Congratulations everyone!

sandaltan
Posts: 114
Joined: Sun Oct 25, 2009 12:42 am

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby sandaltan » Mon Jan 31, 2011 10:55 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
sandaltan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Peg wrote:I'm so annoyed with these people. I applied on Thanksgiving Day and they haven't said a word. Probably because of my 165+ LSAT, assholes.

It's such a shame because I would seriously consider attending AU, especially because GW and GULC are likely to tell me where to shove it.


Ugh, you are living my life! American needs to get it together, because this waiting business is not what's up. All I know is that I am complete and in review. They better not screw me. I have a decent shot, but Im a splitter so who knows what they are going to do with me.

Le sigh...


itt people think that because their lsat is above the median, theyre in for sure, no matter what, and if theyre dinged its because the school is stupid, not because you wrote a lame ps, have a terrible lor or the adcom is perceptive enough to realize youre a douche.


:roll:
Please spare us all. Jumping on someone's case because they're frustrated that they havent heard back in such a long time from a school they expect to get into? Who here is the douche?


sorry, that did come off as harsh, i didnt mean for it to sound so douchey. i didnt mean that you had any of those things, just that im sure there are TONS of applicants with all or some of them who submit their apps expecting an immediate acceptance. i just think its silly for applicants to assume its purely a numbers game with law school, and if you have an lsat slightly above the median youre a shoe in. i dunno, sounds like a mentality thats just aching for disappointment.

anywho, sorry again (seriously), and good luck!
Last edited by sandaltan on Tue Feb 01, 2011 12:23 am, edited 1 time in total.

kswiss1114
Posts: 25
Joined: Thu Jan 13, 2011 3:11 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby kswiss1114 » Mon Jan 31, 2011 11:48 pm

Congrats to everyone else who got in!

Accepted today and could not be happier. Before anyone asks my stats are 164, 3.7 and I have some good softs so I think those helped out a little. Hope to see everyone at ASW!

User avatar
restless
Posts: 71
Joined: Mon Jan 10, 2011 3:51 pm

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby restless » Tue Feb 01, 2011 3:50 am

In at WCL via e-mail! This is a huge relief because it was the first decision I've received... Phew. I sent in all my applications within the 2nd-3rd week of January but I went complete at all schools almost immediately.

Received: 01/19
Decision: 01/31
Stats: 163 (most recent)/156, 3.33

Definitely considering WCL, especially if I don't get into my reach schools.




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Christinabruin, curry1, Google Adsense [Bot], Majestic-12 [Bot], malysh and 15 guests