American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
HopefullyLaw

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby HopefullyLaw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:33 pm

wokeemilo wrote:
HopefullyLaw wrote:Wait listed today. I am below their median LSAT and way above their median GPA. Sent a LOCI this afternoon right after I got the WL e-mail. I said I am interested in the full time and part time programs. However, I really want into the full time program. Good luck, friends!

SAME. Below median lsat, above 75th GPA. which person did you e-mail the letter to?

I went to the school's website and got the mail addressing and put C/O "name of person who e-mailed me" in that line. I mentioned a specific aspect of the law school. Hopefully the letter will get there fast! :)

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:37 pm

I haven't gotten my packet yet and I'm trying to make travel plans -- anyone know when the ASWs are? (Sorry if it has already been asked!)

gdane

Postby gdane » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:32 pm

ilovesf wrote:I haven't gotten my packet yet and I'm trying to make travel plans -- anyone know when the ASWs are? (Sorry if it has already been asked!)

April 22nd is the later one. Ill be there.

People, show up! It would be great if us future classmates (hopefully) met up beforehand.

In regards to the LOCI's, send them through email. Send them to your admissions counselor. You can go the snail mail route if youd like though. Id say send the first one through snail mail and all subsequent ones through email.

Congratulations to those that were accepted! Waitlisted people, keep trying. AU goes to their waitlist in mid April and will keep plucking groups of people until June. They do YP a lot, but if you have the numbers and are still interested post deposit deadlines, they'll accept you in a heartbeat.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:35 pm

ilovesf wrote:I haven't gotten my packet yet and I'm trying to make travel plans -- anyone know when the ASWs are? (Sorry if it has already been asked!)

I think there is one on April 1st...I am going to go to this one because I want to see the school before the April 15th deposit

sandaltan

Postby sandaltan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:49 pm

URMdan wrote:
chalhou1 wrote:was waitlisted. Should I bother with a LOCI or do I have no chance?

You are at their LSAT median and above the 75th percentile for their GPA. I'd say you definitely have a chance.

i thought lsat median was 163?

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:52 pm

sandaltan wrote:
URMdan wrote:
chalhou1 wrote:was waitlisted. Should I bother with a LOCI or do I have no chance?

You are at their LSAT median and above the 75th percentile for their GPA. I'd say you definitely have a chance.

Woops thought it was 158.

sandaltan

Postby sandaltan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:55 pm

URMdan wrote:
sandaltan wrote:
URMdan wrote:

Woops thought it was 158.

hah i was like wat.

sandaltan

Postby sandaltan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:57 pm

also people, if i end up attending american, i fully intend to rent out a house as close to campus as humanely/humanly possible, and i will need roommates.
Last edited by sandaltan on Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:14 am, edited 1 time in total.

bucky0486

Postby bucky0486 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 10:59 pm

Application Complete since 12/17

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:30 pm

gdane wrote:

April 22nd is the later one. Ill be there.

People, show up! It would be great if us future classmates (hopefully) met up beforehand.

In regards to the LOCI's, send them through email. Send them to your admissions counselor. You can go the snail mail route if youd like though. Id say send the first one through snail mail and all subsequent ones through email.

Congratulations to those that were accepted! Waitlisted people, keep trying. AU goes to their waitlist in mid April and will keep plucking groups of people until June. They do YP a lot, but if you have the numbers and are still interested post deposit deadlines, they'll accept you in a heartbeat.

Thanks Gdane. April 22nd sounds great because I want to be in Baltimore on April 26th, so that makes travel arrangements soo much easier. The only problem with going to the April 22nd date is that I want to visit American to see if I want to go there, and the date is after most deposits are due. I'm really up in the air about where I want to attend so I feel like visiting schools before hand will be really helpful.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 11:37 pm

I feel ur pain...I graduate from school in Ohio at the end of March which leaves me only a few weeks to visit a number of schools before the april 15th deadline...worse is that I want to see st. johns and they have a april 1st deadline! these schools r killing me with these dates...

curly3426

Postby curly3426 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:06 am

hey guys, got in, has anyone heard anything about scholarship?

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:11 am

curly3426 wrote:hey guys, got in, has anyone heard anything about scholarship?

I emailed AU and they said they will send out scholarships in March...congrats!

ohhenry

Postby ohhenry » Tue Jan 25, 2011 12:16 am

Anybody here from California planning on attending?

If so, anyone considering coming back to CA to practice? Or would it be better to attend a lower ranked school in CA?

Not sure where I want to start my career but my pops lives in Alexandria and I'll save on COL. I'm assuming its probably the best bet? Any other school I get accepted to will involve loans for living expenses.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:34 am

To clear things up:

WCL, like most law schools, is primarily regional.

A WCL JD will serve you best in the DC area. Dont plan on going to NYC, Chicago, California, etc etc.

If you want to pratice in an area that isnt DC, go to the best possible school you can get into in that area.

sandaltan wrote:also people, if i end up attending american, i fully intend to rent out a house as close to campus as humanely possible, and i will need roommates.
Id also like to live as close as possible to the campus. However, Im going to have a big dog with me. Unless I can find a huge animal lover, I may have to live alone. :(

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 1:59 am

ohhenry wrote:Anybody here from California planning on attending?

If so, anyone considering coming back to CA to practice? Or would it be better to attend a lower ranked school in CA?

Not sure where I want to start my career but my pops lives in Alexandria and I'll save on COL. I'm assuming its probably the best bet? Any other school I get accepted to will involve loans for living expenses.

I'm from CA and thinking about attending. I'm pretty flexible about where I want to end up, but my first choice is to stay in SF. Hastings is mostly my number 1 right now but I haven't been accepted and it is a bit of a reach. If I attend AU, it will be because I won't have any CA options. I think if you attend, you need to be okay with the idea of staying on the east coast and not be committed to CA. If you're 100% about CA, then study in CA.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:00 am

gdane wrote:To clear things up:

WCL, like most law schools, is primarily regional.

A WCL JD will serve you best in the DC area. Dont plan on going to NYC, Chicago, California, etc etc.

If you want to pratice in an area that isnt DC, go to the best possible school you can get into in that area.

sandaltan wrote:also people, if i end up attending american, i fully intend to rent out a house as close to campus as humanely possible, and i will need roommates.
Id also like to live as close as possible to the campus. However, Im going to have a big dog with me. Unless I can find a huge animal lover, I may have to live alone. :(

I'm also bringing my big dog. But.. he hates other dogs. Too bad.

gdane

Postby gdane » Tue Jan 25, 2011 2:17 am

ilovesf wrote:I'm also bringing my big dog. But.. he hates other dogs. Too bad.

This is somewhat my problem. However, my dogs alpha so he gets along with dogs that are submissive. unfortunately, most dogs try to mess with him. LOL.

Ideally, I would like to live with someone that has a dog. My doggie could use a friend. This might be tough though. Ill figure something out.

sandaltan

Postby sandaltan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:12 am

gdane wrote:
ilovesf wrote:I'm also bringing my big dog. But.. he hates other dogs. Too bad.

This is somewhat my problem. However, my dogs alpha so he gets along with dogs that are submissive. unfortunately, most dogs try to mess with him. LOL.

Ideally, I would like to live with someone that has a dog. My doggie could use a friend. This might be tough though. Ill figure something out.

if i get a house to rent i would love to have a dog there, or two, or more.

love animals.

Triple_Entendre

Postby Triple_Entendre » Tue Jan 25, 2011 9:34 am

justhockey31 wrote:I feel ur pain...I graduate from school in Ohio at the end of March which leaves me only a few weeks to visit a number of schools before the april 15th deadline...worse is that I want to see st. johns and they have a april 1st deadline! these schools r killing me with these dates...

justhockey31, I can definitely tell you about St. John's if you're interested in my opinion. I went there for undergrad and the law school is right on campus. PM if you have any questions. :D

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Tue Jan 25, 2011 3:24 pm

if anybody potentially wants to room with me send me over a PM. My stats:

-23 (will be 24 when school starts)
-occasional smoker/drinker
-no pets
-i'm friendly and social, but also like to keep it real

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:42 pm

justhockey31 wrote:

I think there is one on April 1st...I am going to go to this one because I want to see the school before the April 15th deposit

Oops just saw this. I would go then, but I already made plans to go to Tulane's ASW that weekend. GAH.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:43 pm

justhockey31 wrote:

Ugh, March feels so far away!

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:52 pm

ilovesf wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:

Haha yeah but its almost Feb. so its getting closer! You know March will take forever to get here but then it will fly by and we will all have to make a choice on a law school in not nearly enough time

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Jan 25, 2011 5:54 pm

justhockey31 wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:

Haha yeah but its almost Feb. so its getting closer! You know March will take forever to get here but then it will fly by and we will all have to make a choice on a law school in not nearly enough time

I just realized I'm like the only person to have responded to your other thread. I feel like I'm stalking you.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”