American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
sandaltan

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby sandaltan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:55 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Peg wrote:I'm so annoyed with these people. I applied on Thanksgiving Day and they haven't said a word. Probably because of my 165+ LSAT, assholes.

It's such a shame because I would seriously consider attending AU, especially because GW and GULC are likely to tell me where to shove it.

Ugh, you are living my life! American needs to get it together, because this waiting business is not what's up. All I know is that I am complete and in review. They better not screw me. I have a decent shot, but Im a splitter so who knows what they are going to do with me.

Le sigh...

itt people think that because their lsat is above the median, theyre in for sure, no matter what, and if theyre dinged its because the school is stupid, not because you wrote a lame ps, have a terrible lor or the adcom is perceptive enough to realize youre a douche.

gdane

Postby gdane » Sat Jan 22, 2011 1:59 am

Thats a little harsh.

The frustration stems from having to wait for weeks. Im fortunate that I only had a 2 1/2 week wait, but I feel bad for those that have been waiting months. My advice is to keep waiting. You'll hear back eventually.

Also, I'm 99.9% sure I'm going to AU. The missing .01% comes from being on the GWU WL. I'm going to do what I can to get off it, but there are no guarantees there. So, it looks like WCL is going to get me. Im happy. I like the school.

Housing is just going to be a bitchhh to find...

sandaltan

Postby sandaltan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:03 am

im 1/5 so far, american being the only acceptance.

probably gonna come down to AU/Tulane/SMU, maybe wake if im lucky, so we'll see.

dink3500

Postby dink3500 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:06 am

URMdan wrote:who here is seriously thinking about going there?

I really considering ther because of thier international law program. I'll be going to see the campus soon

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:10 am

I would if I got lots of scholarship, which I hear they are very stingy about. Don't see a reason to go to American at sticker versus GW or Gtown at sticker.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:15 am

Flips88 wrote:

I would if I got lots of scholarship, which I hear they are very stingy about. Don't see a reason to go to American at sticker versus GW or Gtown at sticker.

I plan on getting some kind of financial aid though so I won't be paying sticker, although I heard they're stingy with that kind of aid too. I agree, housing is gonna be a bitch. I know somebody who stayed at the Tenley apartments and said they weren't too bad...then again, she was a foreign exchange student...but seriously, if anyone knows anything on the inside about housing please share as i'm 90% leaning to go there pending GWU + GULC dings

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:22 am

URMdan wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I plan on getting some kind of financial aid though so I won't be paying sticker, although I heard they're stingy with that kind of aid too. I agree, housing is gonna be a bitch. I know somebody who stayed at the Tenley apartments and said they weren't too bad...then again, she was a foreign exchange student...but seriously, if anyone knows anything on the inside about housing please share as i'm 90% leaning to go there pending GWU + GULC dings

DC housing is expensive as hell and American is in a goofy part of town. It's only accessible by metro on the Red Line and then you have to walk some too. I have a friend that is a 1L there now and he say they have a parking garage but it's only available to 2Ls & 3Ls. Suck.

law4vus

Postby law4vus » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:33 am

Flips88 wrote:DC housing is expensive as hell and American is in a goofy part of town. It's only accessible by metro on the Red Line and then you have to walk some too. I have a friend that is a 1L there now and he say they have a parking garage but it's only available to 2Ls & 3Ls. Suck.

AU has a shuttle from the Metro as well.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Sat Jan 22, 2011 2:34 am

Flips88 wrote:
URMdan wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

DC housing is expensive as hell and American is in a goofy part of town. It's only accessible by metro on the Red Line and then you have to walk some too. I have a friend that is a 1L there now and he say they have a parking garage but it's only available to 2Ls & 3Ls. Suck.

Yea I know, that's what sucks about it. I am definitely not looking forward to the walks

edit: then again the weather doesn't get as bad as it does here in jersey so i shouldnt be too upset

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:12 am

sandaltan wrote:
cowgirl_bebop wrote:
Peg wrote:I'm so annoyed with these people. I applied on Thanksgiving Day and they haven't said a word. Probably because of my 165+ LSAT, assholes.

It's such a shame because I would seriously consider attending AU, especially because GW and GULC are likely to tell me where to shove it.

Ugh, you are living my life! American needs to get it together, because this waiting business is not what's up. All I know is that I am complete and in review. They better not screw me. I have a decent shot, but Im a splitter so who knows what they are going to do with me.

Le sigh...

itt people think that because their lsat is above the median, theyre in for sure, no matter what, and if theyre dinged its because the school is stupid, not because you wrote a lame ps, have a terrible lor or the adcom is perceptive enough to realize youre a douche.

:roll:
Please spare us all. Jumping on someone's case because they're frustrated that they havent heard back in such a long time from a school they expect to get into? Who here is the douche?

globallawyer

Postby globallawyer » Sat Jan 22, 2011 11:22 am

WCL 1L here.

In regards to housing, a lot of people (myself included) live on Connecticut Ave near Van Ness. It's very convenient, and if you can find a roommate there are some reasonably priced places. I never have to take the metro, which saves A LOT of $$. It's about a 15 minute walk to the shuttle from Connecticut Ave, depending on where you live on Connecticut. I also know several people who live in basements of houses. Some of them are steal and include utilities and laundry, and some of them are frankly overpriced. Some people live in Columbia Heights, but I would only use that as a last resort, and avoid the Woodner at all costs. Yes Columbia Heights is cheap, but once you factor in metro costs it just about evens out with a nicer/safer/bug free apartment closer to school/Tenleytown.

If anyone has any questions about WCL or DC in general, feel free to PM me.

LttleBlakDress

Postby LttleBlakDress » Sun Jan 23, 2011 2:28 am

In via email 1/21. 169/3.05.

Peg

Postby Peg » Sun Jan 23, 2011 3:31 am

cowgirl_bebop wrote:
sandaltan wrote:itt people think that because their lsat is above the median, theyre in for sure, no matter what, and if theyre dinged its because the school is stupid, not because you wrote a lame ps, have a terrible lor or the adcom is perceptive enough to realize youre a douche.

:roll:
Please spare us all. Jumping on someone's case because they're frustrated that they havent heard back in such a long time from a school they expect to get into? Who here is the douche?

+1

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:04 am

Does anyone know WCL's placement in to NYC? Obviously the biggest draw is DC but I was just curious if anyone has any #'s or has heard anything...

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:16 am

justhockey31 wrote:Does anyone know WCL's placement in to NYC? Obviously the biggest draw is DC but I was just curious if anyone has any #'s or has heard anything...

Probably not so great. You're competing against all the T-14 plus other schools in NYC that are ranked higher.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:18 am

Flips88 wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:Does anyone know WCL's placement in to NYC? Obviously the biggest draw is DC but I was just curious if anyone has any #'s or has heard anything...

Probably not so great. You're competing against all the T-14 plus other schools in NYC that are ranked higher.

Do you think it places behind lower ranked schools such as cardozo/bls/st johns/etc?

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:39 am

justhockey31 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Do you think it places behind lower ranked schools such as cardozo/bls/st johns/etc?

I'm not sure, because I'd say American might have greater name recognition overall, but the alumni network within NYC for those schools will be much stronger.

justhockey31

Postby justhockey31 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:50 am

Flips88 wrote:
justhockey31 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

I'm not sure, because I'd say American might have greater name recognition overall, but the alumni network within NYC for those schools will be much stronger.

Yeah I am not sure either...I love DC and NYC so I am having a tough time deciding between the two. It seems to be the general consensus that DC is a much tougher legal market to break in to than NYC so I'm thinking American would give a better opportunity to end up in either market than the lower ranked NYC schools

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:05 am

justhockey31 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

Yeah I am not sure either...I love DC and NYC so I am having a tough time deciding between the two. It seems to be the general consensus that DC is a much tougher legal market to break in to than NYC so I'm thinking American would give a better opportunity to end up in either market than the lower ranked NYC schools

I am in the same boat as both of you. If you want to work in NYC then don't go to American. You're better off going to school there or even going to RU with in-state tuition and scholly$. Don't buy into the "greater national recognition" bologna too much, the rankings are only truly indicative of the top 30 or so schools. So don't think you can use it to your advantage if you decide to compete with grads from NYC-area schools.

URMdan

Postby URMdan » Mon Jan 24, 2011 4:06 am

justhockey31 wrote:
Flips88 wrote:

It DEFINITELY places behind them. This should not even be a serious question.

*Note: see my post above

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Mon Jan 24, 2011 9:54 am

^ Agreed. Also want to point out it's about 4 spots higher ranked than Cardozo, and ~10-20 above the others. I applied in NYC and American because I want to be in NYC (DC is great and I'd go there if I didn't get into my top choices), but if you get into a school in NY and don't plan on working in DC, I would go to school in NY. (Unless the school in DC is Georgetown/GW).

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Mon Jan 24, 2011 1:48 pm

I know it's been said but can anyone reiterate the ASW travel stipend who has actually has concrete knowledge on it?

I don't want to email them and sound like an undeserving douche but I think I heard here you could get around $300? Im coming from out of the country do you think that'd make any difference?

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Mon Jan 24, 2011 5:56 pm

Just checked the status checker--waitlisted. Good to be finally out of one form of limbo.

mimi82

Postby mimi82 » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:00 pm

Waitlisted also and very excited considering I have 149/3.25 :D Never thought I even had a chance. And the 149 was a 10pt jump from 1st lsat plus I had a huge medical emergency around test time. I'm glad they showed mercy on me.

wokeemilo

Postby wokeemilo » Mon Jan 24, 2011 6:02 pm

I also just got waitlisted...but I'm not very happy! 161/3.65.

Are any of you planning on writing LOCI? I guess it says to do it in e-mail format to an "admission counselor"

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”