American University 2011 Applicants

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
Flips88

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Postby Flips88 » Wed Jan 19, 2011 5:01 pm

wokeemilo wrote:
CM612 wrote:
wokeemilo wrote:American is driving me crazy! Status has been sitting at Complete since 12/10, LSAT median, GPA above 75th... ahhhh. I see that people are assuming no status update means WL or ding, but that would really...suck. My numbers are solid for this school. I neeeeeeeeed an answer!

Yeah. I'm the opposite of you (GPA median, LSAT well above 75th). If you look at LSN it seems like American is way into YP. Complete since 11/19. I've just accepted my waitlist and stopped paying attention.

wow, that IS shocking the amount of wailisted people on lsn for last year...geez. well, WL it is. yikes.

They are rather notorious for YPing IIRC

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:07 pm

Flips88 wrote:
wokeemilo wrote:
CM612 wrote:
wokeemilo wrote:American is driving me crazy! Status has been sitting at Complete since 12/10, LSAT median, GPA above 75th... ahhhh. I see that people are assuming no status update means WL or ding, but that would really...suck. My numbers are solid for this school. I neeeeeeeeed an answer!

Yeah. I'm the opposite of you (GPA median, LSAT well above 75th). If you look at LSN it seems like American is way into YP. Complete since 11/19. I've just accepted my waitlist and stopped paying attention.

wow, that IS shocking the amount of wailisted people on lsn for last year...geez. well, WL it is. yikes.

They are rather notorious for YPing IIRC

This is very true about YP. When I applied in Nov I don't think my numbers were YP at all (157/3.95). But I wrote them a letter telling them they were a top choice for me attached to the PS entitled, "Why I want to attend American." They sent me an acceptance 3 weeks later. However, this was before I knew they don't give shit for money, and I'm not sure if American at sticker is a wise choice since I'd come out of there $200k in the hole.

Anyway my point is that they are really funny, and if you don't convey to them how much you'd like to attend their school, they usually YP the stronger candidates. I'm guessing this is because they know they are third choice in DC and those that apply in DC will apply to American, GW, and GeorgeTTTown.

eaglemuncher

Postby eaglemuncher » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:37 pm

The YP shit makes me a little nervous because of the rather significant gap between GW and American. I am a very strong candidate for American but a rather weak one for GW. I don't want to get rejected at GW and then YP from American.

DeeCee

Postby DeeCee » Wed Jan 19, 2011 7:47 pm

eaglemuncher wrote:The YP shit makes me a little nervous because of the rather significant gap between GW and American. I am a very strong candidate for American but a rather weak one for GW. I don't want to get rejected at GW and then YP from American.

I'm in at American, WL at GW. I feel stuck too because it looks like I'll be paying full-price in DC any way I look at it.

gdane

Postby gdane » Wed Jan 19, 2011 9:09 pm

DCLaw11 wrote:I'm in at American, WL at GW. I feel stuck too because it looks like I'll be paying full-price in DC any way I look at it.

This is my situation as well.

Im hoping I can get a decent amount of need based aid. Then again, so does everyone. :lol:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Thu Jan 20, 2011 8:27 am

eaglemuncher wrote:The YP shit makes me a little nervous because of the rather significant gap between GW and American. I am a very strong candidate for American but a rather weak one for GW. I don't want to get rejected at GW and then YP from American.

Yeah, I've already been dinged at GW, and I guess I will be WL at American. I think American's policy is pretty stupid, since I haven't been accepted to that many schools yet, and they would seriously be in the running for me if they were to accept me.

ach24

Postby ach24 » Thu Jan 20, 2011 11:08 am

Last edited by ach24 on Fri Jul 31, 2015 10:36 am, edited 1 time in total.

Peg

Postby Peg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:27 pm

I'm so annoyed with these people. I applied on Thanksgiving Day and they haven't said a word. Probably because of my 165+ LSAT, assholes.

It's such a shame because I would seriously consider attending AU, especially because GW and GULC are likely to tell me where to shove it.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Jan 20, 2011 12:49 pm

Peg wrote:I'm so annoyed with these people. I applied on Thanksgiving Day and they haven't said a word. Probably because of my 165+ LSAT, assholes.

It's such a shame because I would seriously consider attending AU, especially because GW and GULC are likely to tell me where to shove it.

Ugh, you are living my life! American needs to get it together, because this waiting business is not what's up. All I know is that I am complete and in review. They better not screw me. I have a decent shot, but Im a splitter so who knows what they are going to do with me.

Le sigh...

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:15 pm

It doesn't make any sense to me that some of us are hearing back sooooo quickly and others are taking forever. They say on their website that all applications are reviewed as they become complete... it seems so unfair.
I'm thrilled I heard back so quickly, but I feel bad for you guys that have been waiting...

Anyway, if you guys do hear back, are you set on attending?
I almost passed out doing the math on how much debt I'd incur paying sticker at AU.

cowgirl_bebop

Postby cowgirl_bebop » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:25 pm

girlonfire wrote:Anyway, if you guys do hear back, are you set on attending?
I almost passed out doing the math on how much debt I'd incur paying sticker at AU.

AU is VERY pricey and it scares me how much they are going to make me pay. That said, I can save a TON on living expenses if I a) choose to keep my apartment here in DC (I go to Howard and pay dirt cheap rent for a pretty nice place in a decent neighborhood) or b) move back in with my mom and just commute from MD. I might be able to swing it if I can keep my COA down to a minimum.

But if AU a) takes me and b) gives me a half decent amount of scholarship money, I may be prepare to live like a pauper in order to attend.

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:30 pm

cowgirl_bebop wrote:

AU is VERY pricey and it scares me how much they are going to make me pay. That said, I can save a TON on living expenses if I a) choose to keep my apartment here in DC (I go to Howard and pay dirt cheap rent for a pretty nice place in a decent neighborhood) or b) move back in with my mom and just commute from MD. I might be able to swing it if I can keep my COA down to a minimum.

But if AU a) takes me and b) gives me a half decent amount of scholarship money, I may be prepare to live like a pauper in order to attend.

hahhahaha awesome! Need a roommate? :lol:
We can sell papers on the corner while dressed like newsies.
AU is a really great option, but I have like 13 more schools to hear from before I can even start thinking about where I'll go. I live in NJ now, so it'd be a full relocate- which is going to be expensive any way I look at it... so screw it! Whats 120k more in debt?

Peg

Postby Peg » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:33 pm

No, I'm not set on attending, but I will give it very serious consideration. AU is at the bottom of the ladder in the DC market but it does give you a better shot at DC than its peer schools. And I love DC. Love it love it love it.

TurkeyDay

Postby TurkeyDay » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:36 pm

Peg wrote:

No, I'm not set on attending, but I will give it very serious consideration. AU is at the bottom of the ladder in the DC market but it does give you a better shot at DC than its peer schools. And I love DC. Love it love it love it.

+1

things fall apart

Postby things fall apart » Thu Jan 20, 2011 1:37 pm

Is there any idea on what to expect in form of $$$ from American?

I was accepted rather quickly(applied and accepted within the same business week), but my numbers are in the middle of their spread though I am URM.

Anyone with any ideas on how it works? Is it purely numbers or what? I do very much like the school but the doom and gloom has gotten the best of me and I don't think I can do 160k hole unless there is some hope on the other side(there is currently none).

Peg

Postby Peg » Fri Jan 21, 2011 9:10 am

So in order to protect myself from YP, I sent in a "Why AU" essay yesterday.

Today I read it over and noticed that I wrote, "...fits both my personality, my location preference and my career goals"

Auto-ding?

Woods, Elle

Postby Woods, Elle » Fri Jan 21, 2011 10:17 am

I don't necessarily think so. Out of curiosity/with a fresh eye I read over my PS a few days ago. I wrote mock trails instead of trials, but still got in to 6 schools/WLed at a reach so I don't think they picked up on it/were concerned. ;)

girlonfire

Postby girlonfire » Fri Jan 21, 2011 1:00 pm

Peg wrote:So in order to protect myself from YP, I sent in a "Why AU" essay yesterday.

Today I read it over and noticed that I wrote, "...fits both my personality, my location preference and my career goals"

Auto-ding?

Honestly, I wouldn’t worry about it… I think the people looking over apps read so much that they know what you mean, and probably glaze right over a lot of small typos without even noticing... on the other hand, if you write, say, another schools name on your app, that's probably an autoding. a contemptuous autoding... :lol:

Anyway,update: I got a confirmation on my PIPS scholarship app stating scholarships with start being offered/announced in Feb after deadline. I've been reading that AU isn't all that generous, but here's hoping!!!

patagonia

Postby patagonia » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:06 pm

Has anyone heard anything about accepted students weekends? I'm a runner and trying to book my spring races, but I don't want to schedule a race for the same day as ASW. Obviously I would want to attend ASW....

androstan

Postby androstan » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:24 pm

Peg wrote:

I think Howard, University of the District of Columbia, and The Catholic University of America are at the bottom of the ladder. AU is more middle of the ladder.

laurencita7

Postby laurencita7 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:41 pm

patagonia wrote:Has anyone heard anything about accepted students weekends? I'm a runner and trying to book my spring races, but I don't want to schedule a race for the same day as ASW. Obviously I would want to attend ASW....

April 1 and April 22

patagonia

Postby patagonia » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:44 pm

laurencita7 wrote:
patagonia wrote:Has anyone heard anything about accepted students weekends? I'm a runner and trying to book my spring races, but I don't want to schedule a race for the same day as ASW. Obviously I would want to attend ASW....

April 1 and April 22

Thanks so much! Where did you find this information?

laurencita7

Postby laurencita7 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 2:58 pm

patagonia wrote:
laurencita7 wrote:

April 1 and April 22

Thanks so much! Where did you find this information?

On the admitted students site I think... I just got it from my calendar, but I'm sure I got it either there or from the acceptance packet.

SupraVln180

Postby SupraVln180 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:14 pm

Just got in via status check, 3.5/163/"Other" Hispanic. I am really praying for GW though. But its nice to have an acceptance in the bank.

Flips88

Postby Flips88 » Fri Jan 21, 2011 4:17 pm

SupraVln180 wrote:Just got in via status check, 3.5/163/"Other" Hispanic. I am really praying for GW though. But its nice to have an acceptance in the bank.

Does the status checker ever go to in review or is "Application Complete" what it stay at until the decision is made?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”