American University 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:40 am

girlonfire wrote:I sent an email begging for $$.
We'll see what happens... cuz if they say no, I'll withdraw on the spot. I don't wanna compete w Gtown & GW & GMU for jobs in DC while trying to figure out how to pay down 200K in loans...
:|
+1 Although I was just asking for more $$. I got the 10k. For those still wondering, my notice of that came at least 2 weeks after my acceptance.

My dilemma is late apps to almost everywhere because I took the December LSAT first time and wanted to know what my numbers were like before applying anywhere. I applied to American first in time to apply for the PIPS (I think I got my application in hours before midnight on 1/15). Obviously didn't get the PIPS. Probably shouldn't have, but it never hurts to apply.

Kind of up in the air now awaiting dean's response to my request. Biggest issue here for me is that I filled out the need access late so I won't find out about fin aid until August or even September. $900 is a lot for a seat deposit, even if 450 can be refunded. I've been preferred WL at GULC, WL at Mich, and held at Northwestern. Still crossing my fingers blue that Cornell's silence may hold some good news and am still relatively optimistic for Notre Dame. I really did fall in love with American and at the time I took my LSAT I just wanted it to be good enough for American, but a lot has changed since then. Money issues are a big factor as well as the lack of good jobs in the oversaturated DC market. I know American has a great International Law program, what I want to be doing, but I can't think of much use that would be outside of the government, which has lower salaries so I'll be in debt until my kids go to law school. Right now, I have no one to blame but myself for a late cycle turning me into a nutcase. Anyone have any thoughts?

I was also really drawn by the dual JD program with Monash. Outside of NYU, I don't think any other schools offer a dual with Aus. I also know spots in that program are extremely competitive- anyone know anything about it? I may post similar question if I can find the school thread.

Meh. Now that I think about it none of this is really acceptance/waitlist/denial except that I got in with little $ and am now wondering if the $900/$450 I may never see again is really worth it. Any thoughts appreciated.

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 2:02 pm

I was able to find my need-based grant offer on my.american.edu by going to "Financial Aid: Loan Adjustment Request" and the grants where there by semester. Very pleased...American is going up in my book.

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Tue Mar 22, 2011 10:20 pm

abonda01 wrote:I was able to find my need-based grant offer on my.american.edu by going to "Financial Aid: Loan Adjustment Request" and the grants where there by semester. Very pleased...American is going up in my book.
When did you submit fafsa and need access. My grants arent available yet.

dink3500

New

Post by dink3500 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:02 am

abonda01 wrote:I was able to find my need-based grant offer on my.american.edu by going to "Financial Aid: Loan Adjustment Request" and the grants where there by semester. Very pleased...American is going up in my book.
I am not able to check mine so i don't know what to say. Talked to a lady at the financial aide office and she said we should get the email to check our accounts on the 28th hope this helps, it was around the same time last year also

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:19 am

oreo3405 wrote:
When did you submit fafsa and need access. My grants arent available yet.
I filled out the Fafsa in mid-February and completed the need access on February 28th.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:14 pm

Looking at my award on the my.american.edu

Seems to have the $10k Dean's scholarship then $10k in grants, $8500 in subsidized loans, $12,000 in unsubsidized loans, and then I guess rest would go to GradPlus, right?

So the scholarship + grant would cover almost half tuition?

ilovesf

Diamond

Post by ilovesf » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:34 pm

Flips88 wrote:Looking at my award on the my.american.edu

Seems to have the $10k Dean's scholarship then $10k in grants, $8500 in subsidized loans, $12,000 in unsubsidized loans, and then I guess rest would go to GradPlus, right?

Where exactly did you see this on the website? I can't seem to find it

lfp

Bronze

Post by lfp » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:36 pm

Withdrew my acceptance today. I love me my alma mater, but I just can't justify the price. Best of luck to those on the wait list, and to all those attending: you'll love DC, learn to HATE the AU shuttle system, and realize that Wagshals, the deli right next to the law school, is epically amazing (if pricey).

If anyone has any questions about DC/AU/housing/etc., PM me.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Fri Mar 25, 2011 5:37 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Looking at my award on the my.american.edu

Where exactly did you see this on the website? I can't seem to find it
Sign in. Go to Finances->"Financial Aid: Loan Adjustment Request"->2011

Mine wasn't there a couple days ago, but I checked again today and it was.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:37 am

Need based grants are the only ones right?

Dripworx

Bronze

Post by Dripworx » Sat Mar 26, 2011 8:45 am

Just got waitlisted yesterday :/

159/2.95 wondering what are my shots at getting in after the seat deposit if anyone wants to chance me

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:40 pm

lfp wrote:Withdrew my acceptance today. I love me my alma mater, but I just can't justify the price. Best of luck to those on the wait list, and to all those attending: you'll love DC, learn to HATE the AU shuttle system, and realize that Wagshals, the deli right next to the law school, is epically amazing (if pricey).

Are you automatically withdrawn if you don't pay the deposit by April 15? I think I'm about to withdraw but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it because I like American. However, I know for sure I'm not attending, I guess I'm just iffy about finalizing this.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 1:53 pm

DeeCee wrote:
lfp wrote:Withdrew my acceptance today. I love me my alma mater, but I just can't justify the price. Best of luck to those on the wait list, and to all those attending: you'll love DC, learn to HATE the AU shuttle system, and realize that Wagshals, the deli right next to the law school, is epically amazing (if pricey).

Are you automatically withdrawn if you don't pay the deposit by April 15? I think I'm about to withdraw but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it because I like American. However, I know for sure I'm not attending, I guess I'm just iffy about finalizing this.
Yes. It's been talked about a few times on these boards. Only withdraw if you're 100% sure you won't attend. If you're still at 99, miss the deposit, and you'll be automatically withdrawn.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 2:05 pm

Also, you lose any merit based scholarship offer if you don't pay $900 by next Friday.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:26 pm

Flips88 wrote:Also, you lose any merit based scholarship offer if you don't pay $900 by next Friday.
900 is pretty steep, in my opinion :shock:

I noticed that the DC schools are steep in their deposit rates, I guess because many want to hold a place and are thinking about the DC market. I need to just withdraw because I did not get the PIPS (the reason I applied was to try to get the PIPS), making it just too damn expensive to live there. I'm still hung up on that because I really like American, but my state's flagship school is so, so much cheaper and they heavily focus on PI, too (UNC).

Anyway, nuff said. I'll withdraw Monday.

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:29 pm

DeeCee wrote:
Flips88 wrote:Also, you lose any merit based scholarship offer if you don't pay $900 by next Friday.

I noticed that the DC schools are steep in their deposit rates, I guess because many want to hold a place and are thinking about the DC market. I need to just withdraw because I did not get the PIPS (the reason I applied was to try to get the PIPS), making it just too damn expensive to live there. I'm still hung up on that because I really like American, but my state's flagship school is so, so much cheaper and they heavily focus on PI, too (UNC).

Everything about American is steep, which is a shame because I really did like the school. (Another PIPS rejectee)

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:30 pm

DeeCee wrote:

I should be getting my GW finaid info next week. I'll probably withdraw then. $900 right now isn't worth saving $10k over 3 years.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:40 pm

descartesb4thehorse wrote:
Everything about American is steep, which is a shame because I really did like the school. (Another PIPS rejectee)
I know it. I felt like I would seriously be at home with all of their public interest opportunities, but I can't afford to go to a school at sticker that is not a top school in the region, just because I love the program.

Also, I have a decent background for the scholarship....but after seeing the previous years' recipients, I knew I wouldn't get it. I haven't done anything worldly like many of the PIPS scholars. All of my work has been in the eastern and western US on environmental issues, not super impressive stuff like Teach for America or Peace Corps.

ETA: At this point I'm looking at 17k/year tuition + possible scholarship at UNC versus 40(ish)k/year (whatever sticker is) + no scholarship at American. And COL is sooo much lower in Chapel Hill than in DC. I really can't turn that down.

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 3:52 pm

DeeCee wrote:

+1. Though I just found out I got a 14K grant. Still doesn't help much with tuition of 45K. Has anyone who did not receive the 10K scholly emailed to negotiate?

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:23 pm

ash8309 wrote:
DeeCee wrote:

+1. Though I just found out I got a 14K grant. Still doesn't help much with tuition of 45K. Has anyone who did not receive the 10K scholly emailed to negotiate?
Did you negotiate 14k from nothing? That's pretty impressive. I got 10k and tried to negotiate but that was last week and April 1st is days away and still nothing. I *may* email early this week to see if I can extend that deadline, but I'm mostly resigned to withdrawing by now.

Flips88

Diamond

Post by Flips88 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:28 pm

I got $10k scholarship + $10k grants, but even then American would cost me the same as Vanderbilt

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

ash8309

Bronze

Post by ash8309 » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:31 pm

+1. Though I just found out I got a 14K grant. Still doesn't help much with tuition of 45K. Has anyone who did not receive the 10K scholly emailed to negotiate?[/quote]

Did you negotiate 14k from nothing? That's pretty impressive. I got 10k and tried to negotiate but that was last week and April 1st is days away and still nothing. I *may* email early this week to see if I can extend that deadline, but I'm mostly resigned to withdrawing by now.[/quote]

The 14K grant was just offered, no negotiation skills deployed. :) I may email them Monday to see the possibility of going up from OK in scholly to 10K in scholly.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:34 pm

Flips88 wrote:I got $10k scholarship + $10k grants, but even then American would cost me the same as Vanderbilt
IMHO, you should pick Vanderbilt, unless you're WL there, or you don't like TN and don't care about big/mid law

descartesb4thehorse

Silver

Post by descartesb4thehorse » Sat Mar 26, 2011 4:37 pm

Flips88 wrote:I got $10k scholarship + $10k grants, but even then American would cost me the same as Vanderbilt
No brainer.

NewIvy

New

Post by NewIvy » Mon Mar 28, 2011 9:33 am

Last edited by NewIvy on Tue May 03, 2011 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”