American University 2011 Applicants Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
abonda01

Bronze

Re: American University 2011 Applicants

Post by abonda01 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:44 am

I'm also just waiting to receive news from some of the other schools I'm still waiting on for responses. Between need and merit aid, American has given me as much money as any other school I've been accepted to, and I loved the school, so it's definitely my first choice right now.

PDTPapaBear

New

Post by PDTPapaBear » Thu Apr 07, 2011 9:02 am

Put my seat deposit down Tuesday night, so for better or worse I'll be at WCL come August.

justhockey31

Bronze

Post by justhockey31 » Thu Apr 07, 2011 10:52 pm

PDTPapaBear wrote:Put my seat deposit down Tuesday night, so for better or worse I'll be at WCL come August.
Same here...still on a few (ok a lot) of waitlists but if all else fails I will be really excited to go to WCL

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:51 pm

I should probably put down my seat deposit sometime soon...

LttleBlakDress

Bronze

Post by LttleBlakDress » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:59 pm

Just withdrew. Good luck to everyone!

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:09 pm

LttleBlakDress wrote:Just withdrew. Good luck to everyone!
+1

red_alertz

Bronze

Post by red_alertz » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:11 pm

just out of curiosity, will anyone be going at sticker price?

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:15 pm

red_alertz wrote:just out of curiosity, will anyone be going at sticker price?
I'm considering withdrawing (yeah...after putting my deposit in) because of that reason. I just got accepted to Temple at in-state tuition and feel really stupid saying no to 14k/year

nightman09

Bronze

Post by nightman09 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:22 pm

If you want to go into PI, then their PILRAP is exceptional. I was considering paying sticker just because of how generous this program is.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

PDTPapaBear

New

Post by PDTPapaBear » Mon Apr 11, 2011 7:11 pm

Just about sticker for me. Ever the optimist I suppose.

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 8:52 am

I am not, but just based on their need and merit-based aid packages, I would guess that most people are attending at sticker price.

Chouchous

Bronze

Post by Chouchous » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:42 pm

What are the best places to live in DC, in terms of affordability and access to campus? Any insight would be appreciated. Thanks!

deepspacenine

New

Post by deepspacenine » Wed Apr 13, 2011 1:57 pm

Would y'all consider American to have more national reach than other schools in the same ranking (i.e. Pepperdine) given American's DC location?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

oreo3405

Bronze

Post by oreo3405 » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:01 pm

deepspacenine wrote:Would y'all consider American to have more national reach than other schools in the same ranking (i.e. Pepperdine) given American's DC location?
Withdrew, i cant justify the debt, good luck to all!

gdane

Diamond

Post by gdane » Wed Apr 13, 2011 2:42 pm

deepspacenine wrote:Would y'all consider American to have more national reach than other schools in the same ranking (i.e. Pepperdine) given American's DC location?
Nope. Wcl places mainly in dc. unless you have amazing grades and/or have amazing connections, don't plan on leaving dc.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 7:33 am

Guys I'm in the 11th hour here. Obviously the deadline is tomorrow and I really like the school, but they gave me nothing. Is there any reason to go to American at sticker? My only option is to drop out of T1 and go to a regional school for $$$.

Can anyone justify or refute going to American for 180k? I know obviously most people on TLS can't stand debt but the one thing I think I understand in life is a foot in the door is all you can get a lot of the time. Not that American is Harvard but in terms of career projection I think I'd have to go to my backup and transfer up if I want to have any mobility.

dink3500

New

Post by dink3500 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 8:40 am

things fall apart wrote:Guys I'm in the 11th hour here. Obviously the deadline is tomorrow and I really like the school, but they gave me nothing. Is there any reason to go to American at sticker? My only option is to drop out of T1 and go to a regional school for $$$.

Can anyone justify or refute going to American for 180k? I know obviously most people on TLS can't stand debt but the one thing I think I understand in life is a foot in the door is all you can get a lot of the time. Not that American is Harvard but in terms of career projection I think I'd have to go to my backup and transfer up if I want to have any mobility.
It depends on what regional school your talking about, So clarification on scholarships and the stips available would help?

The general consensus from this site from what I have read, is the only place worth attending at sticker is t14. I've already sent in my deposit, so If you post the other information hopefully we can give you some better incite.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

tigerj

New

Post by tigerj » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:35 am

In this economy you should keep your costs down. As long as you have decent money coming from a good school, then I don't know how you can turn it down.

DeeCee

Silver

Post by DeeCee » Thu Apr 14, 2011 9:59 am

dink3500 wrote:
things fall apart wrote:Guys I'm in the 11th hour here. Obviously the deadline is tomorrow and I really like the school, but they gave me nothing. Is there any reason to go to American at sticker? My only option is to drop out of T1 and go to a regional school for $$$.

It depends on what regional school your talking about, So clarification on scholarships and the stips available would help?

The general consensus from this site from what I have read, is the only place worth attending at sticker is t14. I've already sent in my deposit, so If you post the other information hopefully we can give you some better incite.
This. You should probably not go to American. Other schools in the T1 offered me money, but American was the lowest ranked school I applied to and they offered me nothing, not even a 5k scholarship. Go where the money is, American is not your best choice for DC, anyway. What regional school are you talking about? If it's decent I'd def go there over American.

jarofsoup

Gold

Post by jarofsoup » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:27 am

gdane wrote:
Nope. Wcl places mainly in dc. unless you have amazing grades and/or have amazing connections, don't plan on leaving dc.

I think you can also place in another region if you get some work experience as an attorney. So you can't place right away but maybe 5 years out. But by then you are looking to make partner.

I am wait listed do you think they are going to start admitting again?
Last edited by jarofsoup on Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:28 am

dink3500 wrote:

Its a T100 in the midwest. I believe after the scholarship they are offering I'd owe around $24k at graduation. I dont particularly want to stay in the city though, although it is possible if something real good came along.
I am lucky to only have about 5k from UG in debt(subsidized and I currently qualify as still being in school even though I graduated) but I do make payments on other things and it sucks on my salary.

Anyone know anything about the grants they give out or if 2nd and 3rd year scholarships or minority scholarships that can be used at American?

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

abonda01

Bronze

Post by abonda01 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:45 am

things fall apart wrote:
dink3500 wrote:

Its a T100 in the midwest. I believe after the scholarship they are offering I'd owe around $24k at graduation. I dont particularly want to stay in the city though, although it is possible if something real good came along.
I am lucky to only have about 5k from UG in debt(subsidized and I currently qualify as still being in school even though I graduated) but I do make payments on other things and it sucks on my salary.

Anyone know anything about the grants they give out or if 2nd and 3rd year scholarships or minority scholarships that can be used at American?
Here is a list of some scholarships American offers throughout the year, but I wouldn't bank on getting any of these. http://www.wcl.american.edu/finaid/restrict_funding.cfm

msridiculous447

Bronze

Post by msridiculous447 » Thu Apr 14, 2011 10:47 am

Unless you really want to stay in DC I'd take the money at the regional school. 180k is just ridiculous and I'm not really sure your career prospects are going to be that much better at AU versus a regional.

things fall apart

Bronze

Post by things fall apart » Mon Apr 18, 2011 5:21 am

Thanks for the help guys.

I ended up keeping my $900 and praying I get into a school I'm WL at. I do hold a little grudge against AU for giving out no money as it would have been nice to go but with no money its impossible to justify. I hope anyone here who is WL gets my spot and enjoys it.

Cheers

TurkeyDay

New

Post by TurkeyDay » Mon Apr 18, 2011 11:34 am

Got an email/phone call today from AU about taking me off the waitlist for consideration into the part-time evening program.

My other two options are U Maryland at sticker (not thrilled about Baltimore) and Chicago-Kent with a good scholarship (I'm from Chicago.)

Love DC, but not sure I can do it with debt, etc.

Thoughts on AU vs. UMD? I realized AU is ranked lower, but I do love DC.

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”