Loyola Chicago

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ashrh01

Re: Loyola Chicago

Postby ashrh01 » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:50 pm

EK14 wrote:
tenpenny3 wrote:sending in deposit very soon, I really enjoyed the school.

I see some of you were at the admitted student day this past sat, anyways.

I visited DePaul, and Kent on friday, and Loyola on sat. I must say, (for me atleast), loyola had a much better feel to it. Kent's facilities were really nice, but everything about them felt too new? Can't explain it well, but... yea. DePaul IS getting renovated starting this summer (according to our guide), but I couldn't imagine a class of 70ish people in the classrooms they showed us.

did i mention loyola has NO friday class and the day starts at 10am?

unfortunately i was unable to go to ASW, and probably cant make it April 9th. Was wondering if their was any other useful info relayed to the people that went.

On another note, did they mention anything about helping to find roommates for those who wish to live off campus.

Regarding the roommate thing they said after deposit deadline they will start compiling a list of contact info for people who want to find a roommate.

volleyballer

Postby volleyballer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 2:55 pm

Anyone else still waiting on a decision? :?

Berdman

Postby Berdman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:00 pm

When did you go complete?

volleyballer

Postby volleyballer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:05 pm

2/24

Berdman

Postby Berdman » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:08 pm

They got back to me pretty quickly. I wouldn't be surprised if you had a decision by the end of the week. They do typically render decisions via snail mail but convert to emails closer to the deadline. Best of luck.

volleyballer

Postby volleyballer » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:46 pm

thank you!

ash8309

Postby ash8309 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 9:31 am

Is anyone going to the 4/9 admitted students program? I will be coming in from DC (visiting DePaul Friday, April 8) and would be open for sharing a hotel room with anyone on April 8...or couch-surfing with anyone who lives there! I'm a 27-year-old female, from Iowa but now living in DC and work for a global security think tank. Any takers? :)

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 10:41 am

ash8309 wrote:Is anyone going to the 4/9 admitted students program? I will be coming in from DC (visiting DePaul Friday, April 8) and would be open for sharing a hotel room with anyone on April 8...or couch-surfing with anyone who lives there! I'm a 27-year-old female, from Iowa but now living in DC and work for a global security think tank. Any takers? :)

I'll be there April 9. Goood luck with everything

ArghItsBlarg

Postby ArghItsBlarg » Wed Mar 30, 2011 11:03 am

Withdrew today. There's $48k and a part time spot open. Best of luck, all.

skyisthelimit1

Postby skyisthelimit1 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 1:31 pm

How do you withdraw? I've committed to Loyola but need to withdraw from my other schools. Also, I sent in my deposit about a week ago, anyone know if there's some sort of confirmation?

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:09 pm

skyisthelimit1 wrote:How do you withdraw? I've committed to Loyola but need to withdraw from my other schools. Also, I sent in my deposit about a week ago, anyone know if there's some sort of confirmation?

Just email their admissions email and say "Thank you for your acceptance to <law school name> but I have decided to matriculate elsewhere."

Loyola has a link for it on their admitted students page but most places do not.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Wed Mar 30, 2011 3:28 pm

has anyone checked out the housing they offer to grad students? Curious as to if I should start apartment hunting or if the Baumhart Hall housing is decent. The prospect of living with a roommate doesn't appeal to me at all to be honest.

EK14

Postby EK14 » Wed Mar 30, 2011 5:40 pm

aknecht wrote:has anyone checked out the housing they offer to grad students? Curious as to if I should start apartment hunting or if the Baumhart Hall housing is decent. The prospect of living with a roommate doesn't appeal to me at all to be honest.

I've done a little research on the grad housing. Having a fully furnished apartment is appealing, but i believe that building is also shared with undergrads among other things. Ill probably end up looking somewhere "off campus" to live. Don't care too much about a roommate especially if it keeps costs down.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Wed Mar 30, 2011 7:53 pm

EK14 wrote:
aknecht wrote:has anyone checked out the housing they offer to grad students? Curious as to if I should start apartment hunting or if the Baumhart Hall housing is decent. The prospect of living with a roommate doesn't appeal to me at all to be honest.

I've done a little research on the grad housing. Having a fully furnished apartment is appealing, but i believe that building is also shared with undergrads among other things. Ill probably end up looking somewhere "off campus" to live. Don't care too much about a roommate especially if it keeps costs down.

after thinking back to my undergrad days, I think I'll pass on that one. No desire to go back to beer bongs or the smell of weed.

I have the option of commuting from Lake Forest (where my family lives) but I feel that would get old VERY quickly.

Oh and who will be there next weekend for the Discover Loyola program? I will.

bvenkat8325

Postby bvenkat8325 » Thu Mar 31, 2011 11:46 pm

I'm having a tough time deciding between Loyola Chicago and William Mitchell (MN). I'm interested in IP law currently, but I'm not fixed upon that at this time. I was admitted to Loyola Chicago for the part-time division (I plan on transferring into the full time program after my first year) but with no merit scholarship. I'm waiting on the award letter hoping that I received some sort of grant based on my FAFSA. I was admitted to William Mitchell with a full tuition scholarship for all 3 years with a 2.6 GPA requirement. I'm originally from California so I'm not too sure about what the reputation out here is for William Mitchell. I know that Loyola is a very reputable school and may give me a better shot at landing a job after school. But the debt for picking Loyola over WM is quite scary. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any advice or opinions. Thanks for your time.

lawyeriA

Postby lawyeriA » Fri Apr 01, 2011 5:59 am

how can i check the status of my financial aid award. were they suppose to give me a specific user name and password to some portal for this?

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:53 am

lawyeriA wrote:how can i check the status of my financial aid award. were they suppose to give me a specific user name and password to some portal for this?

it should have come in the snail mail relatively recently. Got mine 2 weeks ago.

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Fri Apr 01, 2011 8:58 am

bvenkat8325 wrote:I'm having a tough time deciding between Loyola Chicago and William Mitchell (MN). I'm interested in IP law currently, but I'm not fixed upon that at this time. I was admitted to Loyola Chicago for the part-time division (I plan on transferring into the full time program after my first year) but with no merit scholarship. I'm waiting on the award letter hoping that I received some sort of grant based on my FAFSA. I was admitted to William Mitchell with a full tuition scholarship for all 3 years with a 2.6 GPA requirement. I'm originally from California so I'm not too sure about what the reputation out here is for William Mitchell. I know that Loyola is a very reputable school and may give me a better shot at landing a job after school. But the debt for picking Loyola over WM is quite scary. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any advice or opinions. Thanks for your time.

The question that should drive the answer to this question is "where do you want to practice?" Neither school travels particularly well so plan on practicing in Chicago or MN and make your choice accordingly (which is a no brainer in my book).

emmac

Postby emmac » Fri Apr 01, 2011 12:11 pm

bvenkat8325 wrote:I'm having a tough time deciding between Loyola Chicago and William Mitchell (MN). I'm interested in IP law currently, but I'm not fixed upon that at this time. I was admitted to Loyola Chicago for the part-time division (I plan on transferring into the full time program after my first year) but with no merit scholarship. I'm waiting on the award letter hoping that I received some sort of grant based on my FAFSA. I was admitted to William Mitchell with a full tuition scholarship for all 3 years with a 2.6 GPA requirement. I'm originally from California so I'm not too sure about what the reputation out here is for William Mitchell. I know that Loyola is a very reputable school and may give me a better shot at landing a job after school. But the debt for picking Loyola over WM is quite scary. I would greatly appreciate it if anyone has any advice or opinions. Thanks for your time.

I have lived in Chicago my whole life and work with lawyers currently and I have never heard of William Mitchell. I assume it's a fine school in MN but it will not transfer elsewhere. The tuition discount is fine if you want to work in Mn forever, but I doubt you'll be able to go elsewhere and have a good chance of landing legal job you want. Loyola will be a little more national because there is name recognition but it is still strongest in Chicagoland.

bvenkat8325

Postby bvenkat8325 » Fri Apr 01, 2011 1:54 pm

Thank you both for your opinions. I'm also still waiting on my financial reward letter. There was a mix-up with my FAFSA (they said I either didn't include LUC or I didn't complete it on time, but later said I met both requirements) so hopefully I'll be receiving mine soon. What exactly did they include in the financial reward letter (other than student loan information)?

introversional

Postby introversional » Fri Apr 01, 2011 4:43 pm

I just checked USNWR and Loyola Chicago's median starting salary for private sector is reported to be: $130,701.

How credited/uncredited is this?

emmac

Postby emmac » Sat Apr 02, 2011 4:52 pm

introversional wrote:I just checked USNWR and Loyola Chicago's median starting salary for private sector is reported to be: $130,701.

How credited/uncredited is this?

Sounds totally inflated from reality. Law salaries are bimodal and should only be viewed that way. Loyola passed out info about their employment stats for 2010 at admitted students day and it was very comprehensive --LinkRemoved--

horn

Postby horn » Mon Apr 04, 2011 10:14 pm

Does anyone know if Loyola will negotiate scholarships? I'm guessing that they won't give me more than the $21,000 that already did, but it would be great if I could get the stipulations removed.

Fabs5180

Postby Fabs5180 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:40 am

horn wrote:Does anyone know if Loyola will negotiate scholarships? I'm guessing that they won't give me more than the $21,000 that already did, but it would be great if I could get the stipulations removed.

I was just about to ask the same question. I got 10k and was gonna try to negotiate more. Any luck, anyone?

aknecht

Postby aknecht » Tue Apr 05, 2011 8:58 am

horn wrote:Does anyone know if Loyola will negotiate scholarships? I'm guessing that they won't give me more than the $21,000 that already did, but it would be great if I could get the stipulations removed.

no joy.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”