Loyola Chicago Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ashrh01

New

Re: Loyola Chicago

Post by ashrh01 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:16 am

Fabs5180 wrote:
horn wrote:Does anyone know if Loyola will negotiate scholarships? I'm guessing that they won't give me more than the $21,000 that already did, but it would be great if I could get the stipulations removed.
I was just about to ask the same question. I got 10k and was gonna try to negotiate more. Any luck, anyone?
I tried and they said no.

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:19 am

ashrh01 wrote:
Fabs5180 wrote:
horn wrote:Does anyone know if Loyola will negotiate scholarships? I'm guessing that they won't give me more than the $21,000 that already did, but it would be great if I could get the stipulations removed.
I was just about to ask the same question. I got 10k and was gonna try to negotiate more. Any luck, anyone?
Congratulations on your success in the admissions process. We certainly understand that financial considerations play an important part in your decision about which law school to attend. Unfortunately, we are not able to increase the scholarship we have awarded to you.

In assessing your choices among schools, we strongly urge you to consider the terms of the scholarship offers you have received. At Loyola University Chicago, you will retain your scholarship if you obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above after your first year. As a result of this liberal policy, over 90% of our award recipients retain their scholarships. If you do fall below a 3.0, you will continue to receive one half of your scholarship, and if you later raise your GPA back above 3.0, your full scholarship will be reinstated.

You should ask other schools about their policies and scholarship retention rates before deciding. In particular, you might ask if they are willing to disclose the percentage of first year scholarships awarded for Fall, 2010 that were renewed in full.

We very much hope that after considering all of the relevant factors, you decide that Loyola is the right place for you. If you have any other questions, please contact us.

Pamela A. Bloomquist
Assistant Dean
Law Admission and Financial Assistance

So... that would be a no.

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Tue Apr 05, 2011 11:33 am

Splintor49 wrote:
ashrh01 wrote:
Fabs5180 wrote:
Congratulations on your success in the admissions process. We certainly understand that financial considerations play an important part in your decision about which law school to attend. Unfortunately, we are not able to increase the scholarship we have awarded to you.

In assessing your choices among schools, we strongly urge you to consider the terms of the scholarship offers you have received. At Loyola University Chicago, you will retain your scholarship if you obtain a cumulative GPA of 3.00 or above after your first year. As a result of this liberal policy, over 90% of our award recipients retain their scholarships. If you do fall below a 3.0, you will continue to receive one half of your scholarship, and if you later raise your GPA back above 3.0, your full scholarship will be reinstated.

You should ask other schools about their policies and scholarship retention rates before deciding. In particular, you might ask if they are willing to disclose the percentage of first year scholarships awarded for Fall, 2010 that were renewed in full.

We very much hope that after considering all of the relevant factors, you decide that Loyola is the right place for you. If you have any other questions, please contact us.

Pamela A. Bloomquist
Assistant Dean

yeah, I got the exact same email.

umilikechips

New

Post by umilikechips » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:01 pm

I just declined my seat with a 12K per year scholarship. Good to luck to everyone!

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Tue Apr 05, 2011 12:02 pm

Still patiently waiting for news about the Health Law fellowship :(.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

SunshineKid

New

Post by SunshineKid » Tue Apr 05, 2011 5:39 pm

my status checker said "decision made"....
... but no email....
now i play the waiting game :roll:

horn

New

Post by horn » Wed Apr 06, 2011 12:17 am

Splintor49 wrote:
ashrh01 wrote:
Fabs5180 wrote:

Pamela A. Bloomquist
Assistant Dean

Thanks for posting the letter. I guess I won't try to get my stipulations removed... Hopefully I'll be in that 90%!

Splintor49

New

Post by Splintor49 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 1:14 pm

Just withdrew - good luck with anyone on the waitlist!

rachelkatelyn

New

Post by rachelkatelyn » Thu Apr 07, 2011 3:37 pm

Just withdrew from Loyola Chicago. Good luck to everyone still waiting! :)

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 2:14 pm

just placed my deposit.

is anybody else that's definitely attending on facebook? I was going to create a group for the class of 2014 for networking purposes but I have to have a friend to add to the group before I can start one. If anybody is interested PM me and I can add you as a friend and create a group.

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 5:43 pm

They've changed the group settings on Facebook so I had to make it an open group otherwise nobody can request to join. Please only join if you are planning to attend Loyola. Here is the link http://www.facebook.com/home.php?sk=gro ... 8876527939 and if for some reason that doesn't work search for Loyola University Chicago School of Law Class of 2014 on Facebook.

Philosopher1

New

Post by Philosopher1 » Sun Apr 10, 2011 1:30 am

I am probably going to send my first tuition deposit to Chicago's Loyola -- and only Loyola. It's absolutely wonderful and extremely well-connected in Chicago. It's well-funded, brilliantly located, friendly, and awesome. It took the clear lead (and the $ didn't hurt) over Miami and Kent.

I am wait listed at 3 siick schools, so we'll see if wait list movement happens. Regardless, I am now at peace. If I got accepted off a wait list, I'd probably do it. If I am not, I'm fine.

How is everyone else doing as April 15 approaches??

iamnooneelse

New

Post by iamnooneelse » Mon Apr 11, 2011 12:52 pm

Withdrew w/ $. Hopefully my spot and money go towards making someone's day soon. Good luck everybody!

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

phannahan44

New

Post by phannahan44 » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:36 pm

Waitlisted last week. Darn. Anyone else? Anyone know much about Loyola's waitlist admissions, year by year? Would think they take a good deal because of the better law schools in Chi and Loyola's relatively equal status with its two main competitors, Kent and Depaul.

Already sent in an updated resume (new job since I sent initial app early February), LOCI, and expressed continuing interest. Loyola is my first choice; really thought I had a good chance of acceptance, now just hope to sneak in off the WL.

Anyone else in waitlist limbo? Any suggestions, feedback, etc? Thanks in advance.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:58 pm

phannahan44 wrote:Waitlisted last week. Darn. Anyone else? Anyone know much about Loyola's waitlist admissions, year by year? Would think they take a good deal because of the better law schools in Chi and Loyola's relatively equal status with its two main competitors, Kent and Depaul.

Already sent in an updated resume (new job since I sent initial app early February), LOCI, and expressed continuing interest. Loyola is my first choice; really thought I had a good chance of acceptance, now just hope to sneak in off the WL.

Anyone else in waitlist limbo? Any suggestions, feedback, etc? Thanks in advance.
I think that Loyola has a slightly lower acceptance rate than Kent and DePaul and I think Kent is considered more of its equal than DePaul is. As for the waitlist, the only problem with getting in off the waitlist is you most likely won't get scholarship money or even need-based grants unless you were waitlisted for yield protection because by that point all the money has pretty much been handed out. With that in mind, yoou should think about the prospect of paying sticker and not count on aid aside from loans.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Mon Apr 11, 2011 2:59 pm

Is anyone else anxiously awaiting fellowship decisions? I would hope that they would tell people before Friday considering it could be a key part of someone's decision to attend. I am already definitely attending and I am still on edge.

elegantmint

New

Post by elegantmint » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:38 pm

Spack wrote:Is anyone else anxiously awaiting fellowship decisions? I would hope that they would tell people before Friday considering it could be a key part of someone's decision to attend. I am already definitely attending and I am still on edge.
I was offered the fellowship today. However, I am withdrawing, so I am sure they will offer it to the next in line. GL.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Mon Apr 11, 2011 3:40 pm

elegantmint wrote:
Spack wrote:Is anyone else anxiously awaiting fellowship decisions? I would hope that they would tell people before Friday considering it could be a key part of someone's decision to attend. I am already definitely attending and I am still on edge.
I was offered the fellowship today. However, I am withdrawing, so I am sure they will offer it to the next in line. GL.
Sad day. Did not get the health law fellowship. Ah well..I don't think there was anything more than I could do to show my passion.

EK14

New

Post by EK14 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:10 pm

Just got this email....

We are pleased to inform you that Loyola University Chicago School of Law will no longer require a minimum GPA for students to maintain their merit scholarships. As long as you remain in good academic standing (which requires a 2.0 cumulative GPA), you will retain your scholarship.

We hope that the security this new policy provides will help you in deciding where to attend law school.

LaLeyDelMonte

New

Post by LaLeyDelMonte » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:15 pm

I withdrew about a month ago and received this:

"We realize that you have made a decision to attend another law school, but wanted you to be aware of a change in our scholarship renewal policy. We are pleased to inform you that Loyola University Chicago School of Law will no longer require a minimum GPA for students to maintain their merit scholarships. As long as you remain in good academic standing (which requires a 2.0 cumulative GPA), you will retain your scholarship.

If this change in policy affects your plans, and you now wish to attend Loyola University Chicago School of Law, please respond to this email. We will then inform you about the procedure for paying your deposit.

As always, should you have any questions, please contact us."

It doesn't change things but it's good to know it's making a change for the better.

StacyStrong

New

Post by StacyStrong » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:28 pm

Yeah, makes me more comfortable knowing there is no longer a stipulation.

But, the retention rate was at 90% anyway..

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

gokickrocks

Bronze

Post by gokickrocks » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:37 pm

Officially withdrew with a $12k grant. Good luck everyone.

hennenr

New

Post by hennenr » Tue Apr 12, 2011 4:44 pm

Has anyone withdrawn from the part time evening division? Trying to gauge my chances to get in off the waitlist.

horn

New

Post by horn » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:57 pm

EK14 wrote:Just got this email....

We are pleased to inform you that Loyola University Chicago School of Law will no longer require a minimum GPA for students to maintain their merit scholarships. As long as you remain in good academic standing (which requires a 2.0 cumulative GPA), you will retain your scholarship.

We hope that the security this new policy provides will help you in deciding where to attend law school.
Well, I'm very happy with the removal of the stipulations. It takes a lot of the guessing out of how much I can expect to be in debt after law school.

miazdc

New

Post by miazdc » Wed Apr 13, 2011 9:42 am

Officially sent my deposit last night... and I'll be withdrawing all my other applications today. Very excited!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”