Loyola Chicago Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
beidoun

Bronze

Re: Loyola Chicago

Post by beidoun » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:18 pm

I still haven't received a scholarship offer but I received a need based grant today via snail mail.

Does anyone know if they give people both need based and merit based scholarships?

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 4:45 pm

beidoun wrote:I still haven't received a scholarship offer but I received a need based grant today via snail mail.

Does anyone know if they give people both need based and merit based scholarships?
Their website says "Need-based grants are made ONLY to a small number of accepted candidates who were not offered merit-based scholarships and who turned in the needs-based scholarship application and filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)."

http://www.luc.edu/law/admission/financ ... d_faq.html

qhryder32

New

Post by qhryder32 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:02 pm

ashrh01 wrote:
beidoun wrote:I still haven't received a scholarship offer but I received a need based grant today via snail mail.

Their website says "Need-based grants are made ONLY to a small number of accepted candidates who were not offered merit-based scholarships and who turned in the needs-based scholarship application and filed a Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA)."

This is odd. I actually received both a merit aid and a need-based grant. I received the need-based grant via snail mail today....

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:51 pm

qhryder32 wrote:
ashrh01 wrote:

This is odd. I actually received both a merit aid and a need-based grant. I received the need-based grant via snail mail today....
yeah, I spoke too soon. I just got the mail and in it was a need based grant from loyola. it also listed my merit scholarship on that same page, in addition to federal loan assistance I'm eligible for.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:52 pm

Has anyone who applied for need-based scholarships or fellowships gotten their financial aid information? I assume that I will be waiting until they review all the applications but I'd like to know what to expect.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

qhryder32

New

Post by qhryder32 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:09 pm

Spack wrote:Has anyone who applied for need-based scholarships or fellowships gotten their financial aid information? I assume that I will be waiting until they review all the applications but I'd like to know what to expect.
Yeah when I received my need based grant today included on the piece of paper was the merit scholarship as well as the subsidized and unsubsidized loans from the government as well as the grad plus loan eligibility...hope this helps..

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 7:50 pm

Spack wrote:Has anyone who applied for need-based scholarships or fellowships gotten their financial aid information? I assume that I will be waiting until they review all the applications but I'd like to know what to expect.
Yeah I got the need based scholarship via snail mail today along with the rest of the financial aid info, and I didn't apply for a fellowship so I can't answer about that part.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:36 pm

ashrh01 wrote:
Yeah I got the need based scholarship via snail mail today along with the rest of the financial aid info, and I didn't apply for a fellowship so I can't answer about that part.
Ah. I applied for both a need based scholarship and a fellowship. I imagine they'd need more than a week and a half to evaluate the fellowship applications and since those also involve money I'll probably have to wait. Here's to hoping I hear something back soon :|

cheinemann

New

Post by cheinemann » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:48 pm

I'm not planning on going to Chicago, but for here's my numbers: 161/3.4 (Grad. Degree w/ a 4.0) 7 years as a public school teacher. They offered me a 10K merit with my acceptance.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:15 pm

aknecht wrote:
ashrh01 wrote:
aknecht wrote:
AlphaIncipiens wrote:I would if I were anywhere near DC. :P

Let us know how it goes though!
Went amazingly well. Met both Dean Yellen and Dean Bloomquist, they were both friendly, open, honest, and very comforting. Honestly, I think it solidified Loyola as my number 1 if they can find a few more bucks for me.
have you tried negotiating?
drafting email as we type
let me know how your negotiation worked out. I just sent them an email requesting either more merit or need based aid...I figured it wouldn't hurt to ask! I really like LUC I am just concerned about the cost.

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:11 pm

Just received a response from Dean Bloomquist to my request for more $. She politely said they are unable to increase my financial aid award.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Fri Mar 11, 2011 3:57 pm

Just got email saying I wasn't selected as the finalist for the Adreani Scholarship. Sad day even though it was an extremely long shot considering they only give it to one person.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Fri Mar 11, 2011 5:23 pm

ashrh01 wrote:Just received a response from Dean Bloomquist to my request for more $. She politely said they are unable to increase my financial aid award.
same thing here.

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Sun Mar 13, 2011 1:29 pm

Got my financial aid statement yesterday and it included a need-based grant as well. Combined with the scholarship i already have it's a tiny bit more reasonable to go there now. Still waiting to hear back about the fellowship though. I assume they'll email if I'm not accepted into the program...hopefully.

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:37 pm

Spack wrote:Got my financial aid statement yesterday and it included a need-based grant as well. Combined with the scholarship i already have it's a tiny bit more reasonable to go there now. Still waiting to hear back about the fellowship though. I assume they'll email if I'm not accepted into the program...hopefully.
got mine too and seeing the final number written down was pretty disheartening.

Spack

Bronze

Post by Spack » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:57 pm

aknecht wrote:
Spack wrote:Got my financial aid statement yesterday and it included a need-based grant as well. Combined with the scholarship i already have it's a tiny bit more reasonable to go there now. Still waiting to hear back about the fellowship though. I assume they'll email if I'm not accepted into the program...hopefully.
got mine too and seeing the final number written down was pretty disheartening.
Yeah...I'm not totally satisfied but I really really want to go there and be in Chicago. I emailed them an appeal because long story short I have to live in the dorm because I really can't afford moving expenses (deposits, flying up for apartment hunting, furniture) because I'm not employed and I can't be certain I will get something worthwhile as far as employment this summer. Not super psyched but since the dorm costs so much it would take all of my room and board so I am appealing for a little more. Totally didn't think I'd be stuck in a dorm again :roll:

milkman

New

Post by milkman » Tue Mar 15, 2011 1:39 pm

Withdrew today...Good luck to everyone! Hope my scholly goes to someone who needs it.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

FrankieFlye

New

Post by FrankieFlye » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:14 pm

Got the ol' "decision made" update to the status checker today.

Crossing fingers :oops:

2.76 - 162, GPA trended higher last 2 yrs,above a 3.5 avg

worked all through college and before college, made solid contributions while employed

we'll see what happens....

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:33 pm

I'm wondering how many people received grants? I know enrollment is down at basically all law schools, so I wonder if this why. I received a grant on 3/13 via snail mail that gives me essentially a full year of free tuition. I really hope that Loyola is realizing that NO ONE can afford $150,000 in debt!

I wasn't given any scholarships upon admission, but applied for the childlaw fellowship, adreani scholarship and the judge campbell public interest scholarship. Still haven't heard anything, which I'm hoping is a good sign?

DePaul wouldn't match Loyola's grant money, so it looks like I'll be at Loyola next year. Can't wait!

ashrh01

New

Post by ashrh01 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:23 am

Anybody going to the merit scholarship reception this Fri or the ASD on Saturday?

qhryder32

New

Post by qhryder32 » Mon Mar 21, 2011 11:34 am

ashrh01 wrote:Anybody going to the merit scholarship reception this Fri or the ASD on Saturday?
I unfortunately won't be making it on Friday since I don't think I'll be able to make it back in time from Iowa's ASD, but I think I'm gonna try and shoot for Saturday's....

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

pinkzebra

New

Post by pinkzebra » Mon Mar 21, 2011 1:09 pm

Withdrew today... Hope someone else gets my $21k/year! GL everyone!

aknecht

Bronze

Post by aknecht » Mon Mar 21, 2011 3:22 pm

pinkzebra wrote:Withdrew today... Hope someone else gets my $21k/year! GL everyone!
can you donate it directly to me? :D

pinkzebra

New

Post by pinkzebra » Mon Mar 21, 2011 4:49 pm

aknecht wrote:
pinkzebra wrote:Withdrew today... Hope someone else gets my $21k/year! GL everyone!
can you donate it directly to me? :D
Haha I so would if I could!

emmac

New

Post by emmac » Mon Mar 21, 2011 6:51 pm

ashrh01 wrote:Anybody going to the merit scholarship reception this Fri or the ASD on Saturday?
I'll be there Saturday for sure!

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”