Tulane 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AdlTX4

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby AdlTX4 » Wed May 25, 2011 4:28 pm

Paid mine yesterday. Getting excited! I'll be in NO on tues. Looking at some apartments. What kind of suggestions (for faces) were you looking for?

CinnamonRose

Postby CinnamonRose » Thu May 26, 2011 12:22 am

So - what rental assistance - agents? leasing offices (here in Chicago there are things like Apartment People that only do rentals) especially for those of us who have no idea what areas are like in New Orleans - craigs list if spotty at best
regarding safety - if you are within a mile of campus, is it safe to walk home at night?

mysoftsrock

Postby mysoftsrock » Thu May 26, 2011 11:44 pm

In response to everyone asking about housing I have a couple of answers, that I hope will be backed up by other Tulane people. I am a 0L (starting at Tulane in the fall), and I just finished up my move to New Orleans. I have a couple of pieces of advice that I will bullet point for people, becuase I am too lazy to write flowing thoughts at the moment ;)

-You MUST visit (in my opinion) to properly pick a location, they call this place a checkerboard city because it really does vary street to street. There are areas within a mile of the school that are fantastic, and there are areas in that general region that are notorious projects (Magnolia) that I as a 6'3" male wouldn't want to drive through at night. I LOVE my neighborhood, (Broadmoor) but some might find it a little far from the school. Also, there are Undergrad areas that I would also personally avoid, but you might find really fun depending what you are looking for.

-I used an agent through Latter and Blum, he was awesome, and he hooked me up with a place that is perfect, and exactly what I wanted for my fiancee and puppy.

-Housing moves quickly around here, I made an offer on one house that had been on the market for only 4 hours, and I didn't even get it, because there were 5 people trying for it. The house I did end up getting had been listed for less than a week. Things will start to move quickly around here as people finish up their leases and move on.

-Learn what a shotgun house is, or the general style is, because they are everywhere!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shotgun_house

That's my two (or in this case four) cents, and I encourage anyone more seasoned in the area to chime in and correct, as these are just the observations in my own search.

Finally for anyone on the fence as far as the city in concerned I can say that I love it here, I have never felt unsafe in any real sense, and the food is fantastic! My fiancee loves it as well, and as a team I think we made the perfect decision.

I guess I really rambled on for a bit longer than I meant to, BUT I am really excitied about everything, and I cannot wait to start school in the fall.

If 0L's (or 1L's, 2L's, or 3L's) that want to meet another new student, get shown around the city (or show me around!), or just have questions, feel free to shoot me a private message and I will get back to you, looking forward to meeting all of you in the fall or sooner!

CinnamonRose

Postby CinnamonRose » Fri May 27, 2011 12:48 am

Thanks - I am booking flights but can only come for a 2 days...wondering if that is sufficent time to learn where I want to live and find a place.

buchy2009

Postby buchy2009 » Thu Jun 02, 2011 3:44 pm

Put my second deposit down today and my housing deposit down earlier this week! Looking forward to moving!

rollgreenwave

Postby rollgreenwave » Fri Jun 03, 2011 2:01 pm

Has anyone heard anything from Tulane lately? I sent off my FAFSA/Grad Plus loan applications a while back and got a thing in the mail saying I was approved and should hear from my school shortly, but they haven't sent me anything. Also, does anyone know when we are supposed to get our Tulane e-mail addresses? From looking at previous boards, it looks like classes in the past few years have had theirs by now...

Brews_7

Postby Brews_7 » Tue Jun 07, 2011 7:18 pm

rollgreenwave wrote:Has anyone heard anything from Tulane lately? I sent off my FAFSA/Grad Plus loan applications a while back and got a thing in the mail saying I was approved and should hear from my school shortly, but they haven't sent me anything.

I called the Financial Aid Office about this and they told me that they were behind right now and that they would hopefully give us our final financial aid information in a couple weeks at the latest. The lady said the whole process of accepting your loans and applying for others is relatively easy and shouldn't take longer than an hour and a half to two hours. She said there is still plenty of time to get this done and that once they have a FAFSA and all your information the process is relatively painless. Hope this helps.

rollgreenwave

Postby rollgreenwave » Wed Jun 08, 2011 2:35 pm

Awesome, thanks for the help! I'm going to be down in a few weeks looking for housing, so I was going to stop by and talk to them if I hadn't heard anything about my loans. Also, I heard people started getting their e-mails today.

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Mon Jul 18, 2011 12:32 pm

Is everyone pumped about the fall and life in New Orleans? I move down in a few weeks. I'm excited

Midnight Rider

Postby Midnight Rider » Mon Jul 18, 2011 2:57 pm

My GF and I just got back from moving our first load of stuff and getting our lease done and we are pretty jacked to be headed down there. Less jacked about the weeklong orientation, but I'm mostly just ready to get started. What are y'all going to bring to class the first day? Nerdy overpreparation, or super-cool notebook with-a-pen-behind-your-ear casual?

Philosopher1

Postby Philosopher1 » Thu Jul 21, 2011 10:27 am

Midnight Rider wrote:My GF and I just got back from moving our first load of stuff and getting our lease done and we are pretty jacked to be headed down there. Less jacked about the weeklong orientation, but I'm mostly just ready to get started. What are y'all going to bring to class the first day? Nerdy overpreparation, or super-cool notebook with-a-pen-behind-your-ear casual?

Highlighters!!!!!!!!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”