Tulane 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
User avatar
Aberzombie1892
Posts: 1907
Joined: Sun Mar 29, 2009 10:56 am

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby Aberzombie1892 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:07 pm

Don't forget Tulane has a list of hotels that will give you a discount if you say you are visiting Tulane.

User avatar
twozeroseven
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby twozeroseven » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:37 pm

AdlTX4 wrote:IN IN IN IN IN!!!!!


Very cool. What did your status say right before you heard?

Mr_Brightside
Posts: 97
Joined: Mon Nov 29, 2010 8:14 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby Mr_Brightside » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:46 pm

Well, decision made, 4/6. Decision letter sent 4/6. No email. :cry:

AdlTX4
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby AdlTX4 » Wed Apr 06, 2011 5:58 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:IN IN IN IN IN!!!!!


Very cool. What did your status say right before you heard?


Status said, File Complete 1/20

Now it says Congratulations, You've been admitted! First thing I saw was the E-mail though. Subject Line: Your Acceptance to Tulane....

User avatar
twozeroseven
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby twozeroseven » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:25 pm

AdlTX4 wrote:
Status said, File Complete 1/20

Now it says Congratulations, You've been admitted! First thing I saw was the E-mail though. Subject Line: Your Acceptance to Tulane....


As i thought. I'm in the same boat, only file complete is like 2/1 or something. Seems like a new round. Do you know if there is $$$ still available? I won't be able to swing paying sticker since i have other cheaper tier 1 acceptances.

User avatar
Barbie
Posts: 3746
Joined: Mon Jun 07, 2010 8:51 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby Barbie » Wed Apr 06, 2011 6:29 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:
Status said, File Complete 1/20

Now it says Congratulations, You've been admitted! First thing I saw was the E-mail though. Subject Line: Your Acceptance to Tulane....


As i thought. I'm in the same boat, only file complete is like 2/1 or something. Seems like a new round. Do you know if there is $$$ still available? I won't be able to swing paying sticker since i have other cheaper tier 1 acceptances.


It says in the email! Mine was like "a scholarship is on its way" or something like that. It won't tell you how much though.

User avatar
twozeroseven
Posts: 88
Joined: Wed Mar 02, 2011 10:02 am

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby twozeroseven » Thu Apr 07, 2011 8:35 am

Barbie wrote:
It says in the email! Mine was like "a scholarship is on its way" or something like that. It won't tell you how much though.


Very cool. Congratulations to you then. I will continue to twiddle my thumbs.

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby LttleBlakDress » Thu Apr 07, 2011 4:50 pm

Ack! After being complete 1/6 forever, today I'm complete 4/7! Kind of past caring but nice to know that my non-fee waver application is finally going to be reviewed...

dey206
Posts: 98
Joined: Sat Jan 08, 2011 7:34 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby dey206 » Fri Apr 08, 2011 11:22 pm

twozeroseven wrote:
Barbie wrote:
It says in the email! Mine was like "a scholarship is on its way" or something like that. It won't tell you how much though.


Very cool. Congratulations to you then. I will continue to twiddle my thumbs.


+1

AdlTX4
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby AdlTX4 » Sat Apr 09, 2011 4:00 pm

received acceptance packet today. :D

rollgreenwave
Posts: 23
Joined: Tue Oct 26, 2010 6:29 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby rollgreenwave » Sun Apr 10, 2011 9:05 pm

I think it's officially time for someone to make a Tulane Law Class of 2014 Facebook page.

User avatar
Midnight Rider
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby Midnight Rider » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:37 pm

Panic question guys: Did you disclose traffic tickets in question 28? I've never had anything other than minor speeding tickets, failure to obey stop sign. Nothing crazy, no DUIs, no reckless driving, no license suspensions or anything with a fine over $200.

User avatar
ilovesf
Posts: 11804
Joined: Wed Oct 20, 2010 5:20 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby ilovesf » Mon Apr 11, 2011 11:39 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:Panic question guys: Did you disclose traffic tickets in question 28? I've never had anything other than minor speeding tickets, failure to obey stop sign. Nothing crazy, no DUIs, no reckless driving, no license suspensions or anything with a fine over $200.


What is the specific wording of the question? I can't remember. I did disclose my speeding ticket to all schools that asked, because in the state in which I received it (MD) a speeding ticket is a misdemeanor. Some schools specifically said not to disclose speeding tickets, but if they didn't specify that, then I disclosed.

AdlTX4
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby AdlTX4 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 12:05 am

I'm going to visit on the 23rd. Anyone know of any good apartment complexes to check out?

User avatar
Midnight Rider
Posts: 82
Joined: Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:17 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby Midnight Rider » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:16 am

ilovesf wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:Panic question guys: Did you disclose traffic tickets in question 28? I've never had anything other than minor speeding tickets, failure to obey stop sign. Nothing crazy, no DUIs, no reckless driving, no license suspensions or anything with a fine over $200.


What is the specific wording of the question? I can't remember. I did disclose my speeding ticket to all schools that asked, because in the state in which I received it (MD) a speeding ticket is a misdemeanor. Some schools specifically said not to disclose speeding tickets, but if they didn't specify that, then I disclosed.



28. (a) Have you ever been charged with, arrested for, convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere for a violation of any
law? (For purposes of question 28, a conviction includes a verdict or finding of guilt, regardless of whether sentence
is imposed by the court. You should also disclose offenses which resulted in purged, sealed, obliterated, dismissed,
or destroyed records, regardless of whether you have been told that you need not disclose any such event. These will
also be requested by state bar authorities in many states. If you are not sure about the nature or the ultimate
disposition of a particular charge, you are advised to make full disclosure, as a subsequent finding that you failed to
disclose relevant information could have disqualifying consequences.) (Yes or No)

User avatar
pokerlaw
Posts: 223
Joined: Tue Nov 02, 2010 11:33 am

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby pokerlaw » Tue Apr 12, 2011 7:33 am

Midnight Rider wrote:Panic question guys: Did you disclose traffic tickets in question 28? I've never had anything other than minor speeding tickets, failure to obey stop sign. Nothing crazy, no DUIs, no reckless driving, no license suspensions or anything with a fine over $200.


I disclosed my minor traffic tickets.

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:10 am

AdlTX4 wrote:I'm going to visit on the 23rd. Anyone know of any good apartment complexes to check out?


From my visit it seems that most of the housing consists of houses or shotgun apartments (houses split up into apartments).

AdlTX4
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby AdlTX4 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:44 am

buchy2009 wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:I'm going to visit on the 23rd. Anyone know of any good apartment complexes to check out?


From my visit it seems that most of the housing consists of houses or shotgun apartments (houses split up into apartments).


Haha, thats what I was afraid of hearing... It's always hit or miss with places like that (and in my experience usually its usually miss).

buchy2009
Posts: 186
Joined: Tue Jun 29, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby buchy2009 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 10:58 am

AdlTX4 wrote:
buchy2009 wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:I'm going to visit on the 23rd. Anyone know of any good apartment complexes to check out?


From my visit it seems that most of the housing consists of houses or shotgun apartments (houses split up into apartments).


Haha, thats what I was afraid of hearing... It's always hit or miss with places like that (and in my experience usually its usually miss).


I think there is a building of graduate student apartments closer to downtown. I looked into them and they seemed a little expensive, but if you're set on an apartment, it might be worth looking into to.

AdlTX4
Posts: 50
Joined: Wed Dec 29, 2010 7:36 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby AdlTX4 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:07 am

buchy2009 wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:
buchy2009 wrote:
AdlTX4 wrote:I'm going to visit on the 23rd. Anyone know of any good apartment complexes to check out?


From my visit it seems that most of the housing consists of houses or shotgun apartments (houses split up into apartments).


Haha, thats what I was afraid of hearing... It's always hit or miss with places like that (and in my experience usually its usually miss).


I think there is a building of graduate student apartments closer to downtown. I looked into them and they seemed a little expensive, but if you're set on an apartment, it might be worth looking into to.


You're right, called the papillon, and they are a bit pricey ~900 for a 1/1. Ill still go by there and try and check them out while I'm in town. I find it a little bit suspect, however, that there are no pictures of the actual apartments on either theirs or the schools website.

jeo
Posts: 13
Joined: Sat Feb 05, 2011 2:51 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby jeo » Tue Apr 12, 2011 11:56 am

AdlTX4 wrote:I'm going to visit on the 23rd. Anyone know of any good apartment complexes to check out?


I'm not sure if they're good apartment complexes or not, but look up 1st Lake Properties or Toni Apartments in the New Orleans area. They don't seem to have any in downtown New Orleans, but do have complexes in the surrounding areas. You can also do a search for New Orleans apartments. I know there are some downtown but they also seem to be very expensive. Once you check some of them out, you'll have to let me know what you think- I'm trying to find an apartment there too.

tgibson89
Posts: 7
Joined: Mon Feb 21, 2011 8:16 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby tgibson89 » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:49 pm

Having lived in New Orleans as a Tulane undergrad the last four years, your best bet for housing is the nola.com rental section or craigslist. New Orleans is not a vertical city, and apartment buildings and complexes are not predominant. Apartment complexes tend to be either pricey (1000+ for studios/1b1b) or far from campus. There are plenty of 1 bedroom apartments and houses at a much more reasonable price on these sites, as well as a good variety of 2, 3 and even 4 bedrooms which are even cheaper as long as you can find roommates. Me and a friend of mine just put down a deposit on a two bedroom place that will only cost me 400 a month after we split the rent, and I'm a block from the street car line.

A word of caution though. If you don't know New Orleans neighborhoods you should at least briefly acquaint yourself with Tulane, uptown, and the surrounding area before choosing houses. Neighborhoods in New Orleans can go from being really good to really shady in a block or two, with little or no notice.

If you need help, just contact any of the major real estate agencies in town (Prudential, etc). They have experience catering to undergrads and grad students looking for housing. I see their flyers on campus all the time. Just know that prices are usually a little higher when going through one of these agencies, however it is still cheaper than apartment complexes.

User avatar
mcubberly
Posts: 212
Joined: Wed Jun 30, 2010 4:44 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby mcubberly » Tue Apr 12, 2011 1:59 pm

tgibson89 wrote:Having lived in New Orleans as a Tulane undergrad the last four years, your best bet for housing is the nola.com rental section or craigslist. New Orleans is not a vertical city, and apartment buildings and complexes are not predominant. Apartment complexes tend to be either pricey (1000+ for studios/1b1b) or far from campus. There are plenty of 1 bedroom apartments and houses at a much more reasonable price on these sites, as well as a good variety of 2, 3 and even 4 bedrooms which are even cheaper as long as you can find roommates. Me and a friend of mine just put down a deposit on a two bedroom place that will only cost me 400 a month after we split the rent, and I'm a block from the street car line.

A word of caution though. If you don't know New Orleans neighborhoods you should at least briefly acquaint yourself with Tulane, uptown, and the surrounding area before choosing houses. Neighborhoods in New Orleans can go from being really good to really shady in a block or two, with little or no notice.

If you need help, just contact any of the major real estate agencies in town (Prudential, etc). They have experience catering to undergrads and grad students looking for housing. I see their flyers on campus all the time. Just know that prices are usually a little higher when going through one of these agencies, however it is still cheaper than apartment complexes.



+1. Very few complexes. Everyone around campus lives in houses. Some are nice (the place I lived in over the summer was great) and some are campus shitholes. Calhoun and Palmer, for example, have a lot of nice houses. There's no reason to look for a complex here. Papillion is way overpriced and not particularly close to campus.

User avatar
samilabuena
Posts: 73
Joined: Wed Feb 09, 2011 3:01 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby samilabuena » Tue Apr 12, 2011 3:40 pm

Midnight Rider wrote:
ilovesf wrote:
Midnight Rider wrote:Panic question guys: Did you disclose traffic tickets in question 28? I've never had anything other than minor speeding tickets, failure to obey stop sign. Nothing crazy, no DUIs, no reckless driving, no license suspensions or anything with a fine over $200.


What is the specific wording of the question? I can't remember. I did disclose my speeding ticket to all schools that asked, because in the state in which I received it (MD) a speeding ticket is a misdemeanor. Some schools specifically said not to disclose speeding tickets, but if they didn't specify that, then I disclosed.



28. (a) Have you ever been charged with, arrested for, convicted of, pled guilty or nolo contendere for a violation of any
law? (For purposes of question 28, a conviction includes a verdict or finding of guilt, regardless of whether sentence
is imposed by the court. You should also disclose offenses which resulted in purged, sealed, obliterated, dismissed,
or destroyed records, regardless of whether you have been told that you need not disclose any such event. These will
also be requested by state bar authorities in many states. If you are not sure about the nature or the ultimate
disposition of a particular charge, you are advised to make full disclosure, as a subsequent finding that you failed to
disclose relevant information could have disqualifying consequences.) (Yes or No)


Hmm I did not disclose my only speeding ticket which I got when I was 17. I recently just got another one. Maybe when I put in the deposit I should say something?

User avatar
LttleBlakDress
Posts: 224
Joined: Fri Jan 07, 2011 3:49 pm

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby LttleBlakDress » Tue Apr 12, 2011 6:15 pm

Waitlisted. Withdrawing. Good luck to all of you!




Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: call-me-bubbles, Exabot [Bot], Google Adsense [Bot], hip to be Square and 10 guests