Tulane 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
ebo

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby ebo » Thu Mar 10, 2011 6:11 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:Does anybody know if Tulane has a deadline by which admissions decisions will be made? I know some schools say that all decisions will be made by x date.

December 31, 2019

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Thu Mar 10, 2011 8:42 pm

Ease up. It was Mardi Gras this week, and even though that ended Tuesday night/Wednesday morning, it takes a lot of recovery time round these parts :wink:

you_were_driving

Postby you_were_driving » Thu Mar 10, 2011 10:45 pm

Tommyboy233 wrote:I also was the "cheese fry guy" at F&M's for a year and a half.

you and I both know that was by far the most important part of your app

rjh456

Postby rjh456 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:24 am

Tommyboy233 wrote: I also was the "cheese fry guy" at F&M's for a year and a half.

Wow. Frankly, if I was an adcomm I would have accepted you purely on this information alone. First of all, you're pretty much everyone's favorite person. Ever. Second, you have the mental and emotional tenacity to withstand 150 people screaming the lyrics to n'sync songs at 4am (not sure if that should apply to f&ms or the boot - maybe both?)...clearly the stress of law school won't be an issue for you.

ilovesf wrote:Actually I'd love a heads up for some good bars near campus for when I visit!

The campus area is not really that great, especially if you're a grad student, so I'm just going to bypass that and tell you that other good bars include (but are definitely not limited to) -

St. Joe's on Magazine - get a blueberry mojito...(even if you're a dude. seriously.) their courtyard's nice too.
Balcony Bar - lots of beer on tap, pretty cheap. also the grill's open really late, not horrible (well, for 3am anyway).
Bridge Lounge - pretty far down on magazine, but good mixed drinks and you can bring your dog
Snake and Jakes - if you're really intent on staying near the school this is a good bet at the end of the night.
The Club Ms. Mae's - an institution, they had a fire a while back but like a phoenix it's risen from the ashes.

Also make sure you make a pit stop at Domilise's for a shrimp or roast beef po boy and a Dixie/Barq's. Definitely better than Mother's.

And, Rue de la course (one on magazine, and one on carrolton closer to school) is a decent coffee shop where all the law kids study so you should probably get acquainted with it now - but you BETTER not ask for pray-line syrup in your iced coffee, because the guy or girl behind the counter (probably from new jersey) will gape at you, dumbfounded by your ignorance, and then icily remind you that down here it's pronounced prah-line... :)

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Fri Mar 11, 2011 8:47 am

rjh456 wrote:
Tommyboy233 wrote: I also was the "cheese fry guy" at F&M's for a year and a half.

Wow. Frankly, if I was an adcomm I would have accepted you purely on this information alone. First of all, you're pretty much everyone's favorite person. Ever. Second, you have the mental and emotional tenacity to withstand 150 people screaming the lyrics to n'sync songs at 4am (not sure if that should apply to f&ms or the boot - maybe both?)...clearly the stress of law school won't be an issue for you.

ilovesf wrote:Actually I'd love a heads up for some good bars near campus for when I visit!

The campus area is not really that great, especially if you're a grad student

Most undergrads grow out of the 4 or 5 near-campus bars by time they are a sophomore. Sure, sometimes we do go back because you get to become a lazy drinker pretty quick 8) , but if this is your first trip to campus and the city stay away from the boot, the palms, tj quills/the raven (whatever the hell it is called now).

Personally, if you have to stay near campus as someone else said, go to Snake and Jakes. It's the definition of dive bar but if drinking>atmosphere for you than a place lit by christmas lights and a fireplace might be just the ticket.

IF YOU GO TO BALCONY BAR, watch the stairs.

I can offer no good advice about much of anything, but I am an encyclopedia of drinking in New Orleans.

Also!
http://www.flickr.com/photos/56488434@N ... /lightbox/

ebo

Postby ebo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 10:55 am

Dear Tulane,

As a result of my death from old age, in lieu of flowers, please send a letter with the decision you rendered regarding my admission to your law school.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:04 am

ebo wrote:Dear Tulane,

As a result of my death from old age, in lieu of flowers, please send a letter with the decision you rendered regarding my admission to your law school.

Mardi Gras week + spring break pretty much shuts Tulane down, if the law school is anything like the rest of the university.

I'm in the same boat though.

Fred_McGriff

Postby Fred_McGriff » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:50 am

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 11:53 am

+1. Complete 1/10...WTF, Tulane.

sammykeb

Postby sammykeb » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:03 pm

I didn't see a Tulane Class of 2014 board, so apologies if what I'm about to post is off-topic. (Good luck to all those waiting to hear.)

Is anybody lurking here planning on attending the Admitted Students Weekend, April1-2? I noticed a few of you were staying in hostels, which I am considering. However, if anyone was thinking hotel, I'd be happy to split a room with somebody out there. Otherwise, I guess I'll try the hostel thing!

Thanks!

Tommyboy233

Postby Tommyboy233 » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:22 pm

rjh456 wrote:

The campus area is not really that great, especially if you're a grad student, so I'm just going to bypass that and tell you that other good bars include (but are definitely not limited to) -

St. Joe's on Magazine - get a blueberry mojito...(even if you're a dude. seriously.) their courtyard's nice too.
Balcony Bar - lots of beer on tap, pretty cheap. also the grill's open really late, not horrible (well, for 3am anyway).
Bridge Lounge - pretty far down on magazine, but good mixed drinks and you can bring your dog
Snake and Jakes - if you're really intent on staying near the school this is a good bet at the end of the night.
The Club Ms. Mae's - an institution, they had a fire a while back but like a phoenix it's risen from the ashes.

Also make sure you make a pit stop at Domilise's for a shrimp or roast beef po boy and a Dixie/Barq's. Definitely better than Mother's.

And, Rue de la course (one on magazine, and one on carrolton closer to school) is a decent coffee shop where all the law kids study so you should probably get acquainted with it now - but you BETTER not ask for pray-line syrup in your iced coffee, because the guy or girl behind the counter (probably from new jersey) will gape at you, dumbfounded by your ignorance, and then icily remind you that down here it's pronounced prah-line... :)

Hahaha well thanks for the compliments I guess. In fact, being a cheese fry guy was a major part of my personal statement...focusing less on the offers for sexual favors in return for free jalepeno chili cheese fries, etc. at 6 am, and more on the fact that I put myself through college making them (and staying afloat after breaking my ankle and spending 6 months on crutches, no longer able to make cheese fries). I don't see law school being too much of a problem after going to Friday classes at 9 am straight from getting out of work at F&M's at 8. Jk.

I would definitely agree with the statements about all the bars above. Btw, it's sort of a Tulane tradition to go to Ms. Mae's (or, alternatively, Igor's) on graduation morning and use the shampoo effect to keep the buzz from the night before going through graduation. Dunno if this is applicable to LS or not, but we did it for undergrad. Also, right by Balcony Bar is The Bulldog, with over 50 beers on tap. On Wednesday nights you get a cool free glass with every pint you buy. As a heads up, if you do wind up at Snake and Jake's (listed by Playboy as the top dive bar of 2009-though I don't know why), be prepared to deal with dogs, cats, crack addicts, homeless people, or a mix of all of the above. Doesn't mean it's not fun...just sayin.

And yeah Rue de la Course is the shit, but get there early or it'll be crowded. In the same area, if you want sushi, Ninja is really good for the price. Also, the (somewhat) famous Jacques-Imo's is right down Oak street.

ebo

Postby ebo » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:28 pm

jwmalone87 wrote:

Mid-November here

deliriousxix

Postby deliriousxix » Fri Mar 11, 2011 12:35 pm

ebo wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:

Mid-November here

+1

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:17 pm

ebo wrote:
jwmalone87 wrote:

Mid-November here

+2

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Fri Mar 11, 2011 2:59 pm

WOW, thanks for all of the great suggestions!! I've been to Mother's and wasn't that impressed, so I'll definitely check out the other po boy place! I'm not staying right next to Tulane, so I can definitely go off and see some bars in other neighborhoods.. I wanted to get a feel for the Tulane area, but I'll skip it if it is mainly undergrads.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Sat Mar 12, 2011 5:25 pm

So did anyone's status checker ever actually move before they were accepted? Mine has been the same for a looooong time.

ktg808

Postby ktg808 » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:21 pm

Spookyghost wrote:So did anyone's status checker ever actually move before they were accepted? Mine has been the same for a looooong time.

Mine didn't. I was at complete since November, until I got an email notification saying I was in. They won't change the status checker to reflect whether your file is in review or not.

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Sat Mar 12, 2011 6:40 pm

Tommyboy233 wrote:
rjh456 wrote:

Hahaha well thanks for the compliments I guess. In fact, being a cheese fry guy was a major part of my personal statement...focusing less on the offers for sexual favors in return for free jalepeno chili cheese fries, etc. at 6 am, and more on the fact that I put myself through college making them (and staying afloat after breaking my ankle and spending 6 months on crutches, no longer able to make cheese fries). I don't see law school being too much of a problem after going to Friday classes at 9 am straight from getting out of work at F&M's at 8. Jk.

I would definitely agree with the statements about all the bars above. Btw, it's sort of a Tulane tradition to go to Ms. Mae's (or, alternatively, Igor's) on graduation morning and use the shampoo effect to keep the buzz from the night before going through graduation. Dunno if this is applicable to LS or not, but we did it for undergrad. Also, right by Balcony Bar is The Bulldog, with over 50 beers on tap. On Wednesday nights you get a cool free glass with every pint you buy. As a heads up, if you do wind up at Snake and Jake's (listed by Playboy as the top dive bar of 2009-though I don't know why), be prepared to deal with dogs, cats, crack addicts, homeless people, or a mix of all of the above. Doesn't mean it's not fun...just sayin.

And yeah Rue de la Course is the shit, but get there early or it'll be crowded. In the same area, if you want sushi, Ninja is really good for the price. Also, the (somewhat) famous Jacques-Imo's is right down Oak street.

Snake and Jake's! +1 Ninja, but I like Hana too. Jacques-Imo's is great, and Crabby Jack's is good/cheaper.

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:51 pm

Man oh man, this has got to be the week I finally get a decision, I can just feel it. :roll:

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:55 pm

Going to New Orleans tomorrow! SO excited. I'll definitely check out some of the bars mentioned above. Is there anything really awesome to do in NO for St Pattys Day?

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Sun Mar 13, 2011 6:57 pm

If anyone needs guidance/bars/whatever for an ASW, just PM me! I'm around for both.

legalprincess

Postby legalprincess » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:17 pm

Spookyghost wrote:Man oh man, this has got to be the week I finally get a decision, I can just feel it. :roll:

Personally, my gut feeling is saying March 3, 2086 will be the day I get my decision. Looking forward to it :roll:

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Sun Mar 13, 2011 7:41 pm

ilovesf wrote:Going to New Orleans tomorrow! SO excited. I'll definitely check out some of the bars mentioned above. Is there anything really awesome to do in NO for St Pattys Day?

Well, the tourist thing to do would be to hit Pat O'Brien's in the Quarter. You could also head over to the Irish Channel to Tracey's, which I think is the corner of Third and Magazine, they do a St. P. day with the green beer and Guinness, never been myself.

There's also a parade, marches around Royal, Esplanade, Bienville, I think it ends up on Bourbon, which should be pretty happening. Go easy on us, most of us are still recovering from Mardi Gras.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:25 pm

Spookyghost wrote:Man oh man, this has got to be the week I finally get a decision, I can just feel it. :roll:

You give me hope

Spookyghost

Postby Spookyghost » Sun Mar 13, 2011 8:36 pm

Mr_Brightside wrote:

You give me hope

band together brother/sister.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”