Tulane 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
buchy2009

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby buchy2009 » Sat Mar 05, 2011 1:41 pm

I got kind of silly postcard from Tulane today.

On the front it says: "MEAL PLAN"
On the back it says: "Interpret the law. Study hard. Eat well."

casterfield

Postby casterfield » Sun Mar 06, 2011 4:51 am

pcthenls wrote:Hey guys, Congrats to all the recently accepted!

I am planning on going to the ASW in April and am on a budget. I have been looking at the hotels listed on the Tulane travel portal website and found India House Hostel. It's right off of Canal St. and seems like a very cool and inexpensive ($20 per night) place to hang out while I am checking out NO and Tulane. Anyone know about this place, or considering staying? I will be traveling alone, and although I have traveled quite a bit, I have actually never stayed in a true hostel with strangers. It would be nice to meet up with some ASW'ers.

I'm staying at the India House Hostel for the ASW. We should definitely get drinks or something.

pcthenls

Postby pcthenls » Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:38 pm

Great! I am flying in Thursday morning March 31st and probably just exploring all day. Definitely down to meet up for drinks/share transport to the event on Friday morning. Seems like a really cool place to stay. I am excited.

Longhorn88

Postby Longhorn88 » Mon Mar 07, 2011 3:07 pm

I work most weekends and if I'm going to take a few days off to go visit Tulane I need at least a week or two to get someone to cover for me. Just taking off is not an option as I need to pay rent + bills. Seriously Tulane, I've been complete for over 2 months. I want to come visit, just let me in. You're the first school I sent an app for and you're the last school to get back to me.

AdlTX4

Postby AdlTX4 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:39 pm

I'm still sitting at "file complete- 1/20/2011" applied 12/8, anyone know what's going on w them?

whitman

Postby whitman » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:43 pm

Tulane wouldn't negotiate my scholarshipor provide me with a travel stipend, so I withdrew. Good luck everyone.

jwmalone87

Postby jwmalone87 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 1:44 pm

AdlTX4 wrote:I'm still sitting at "file complete- 1/20/2011" applied 12/8, anyone know what's going on w them?

I'm still 'Complete 1/10,' applied about the same time as you. I think I remember reading that Complete is the same as IR for them, so there is that FWIW.

ect88

Postby ect88 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:33 pm

Have any recent admits gotten scholarship offers? They've had my application since late November, and I'm just afraid by the time they (dear god please) accept me, there will be no money left.

LilMan'sMom

Postby LilMan'sMom » Tue Mar 08, 2011 6:35 pm

ect88 wrote:Have any recent admits gotten scholarship offers? They've had my application since late November, and I'm just afraid by the time they (dear god please) accept me, there will be no money left.

I was admitted about two weeks ago with $7,500 per year. I applied in December.

mez06

Postby mez06 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:15 pm

Anyone have any pictures of the campus/law school?

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:51 pm

mez06 wrote:Anyone have any pictures of the campus/law school?

I'll be happy to put some up after I visit next week for the ASW.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:51 pm

I'll be visiting the second week of April and can take some then if no one has any before then.

rew0002

Postby rew0002 » Tue Mar 08, 2011 10:34 pm

I was just accepted last thursday and received $20,000 a year as long as I maintain a 3.0. So I’d say you still have a good chance at scholarship depending on your numbers!

I’m still deciding between the March and April ASW. I’m really excited to see the campus though and hopefully meet some of you!

rmjones03

Postby rmjones03 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:11 pm

ACCEPTED!!!!!! :) YAY :D I will be at the April ASW, and down to hang out and meet some of you guys!! I am really excited about the acceptance, though without some financial help, it would be impossible for me to attend. How long did it take for you all to receive scholly info, or did it come with the acceptance? I received the acceptance last week, and emailed them this morning about scholarships. I hate to seem pushy, but I have other ASW's before Tulane, and need some info to properly compare the schools. Super Pumped though!!!!

And congrats to all!!!!

ebo

Postby ebo » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:19 pm

Tulane is officially slower than Moses. Still complete since November.

millardtime

Postby millardtime » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:35 pm

Acceptance just came in the mail. 15k/year. Nice, but at a 61k/year COA, Tulane's still a little too rich for my taste.

Nice tote bag, though!

pokerlaw

Postby pokerlaw » Wed Mar 09, 2011 12:43 pm

rmjones03 wrote:ACCEPTED!!!!!! :) YAY :D I will be at the April ASW, and down to hang out and meet some of you guys!! I am really excited about the acceptance, though without some financial help, it would be impossible for me to attend. How long did it take for you all to receive scholly info, or did it come with the acceptance? I received the acceptance last week, and emailed them this morning about scholarships. I hate to seem pushy, but I have other ASW's before Tulane, and need some info to properly compare the schools. Super Pumped though!!!!

And congrats to all!!!!

I believe scholly info comes with the acceptance.

AdlTX4

Postby AdlTX4 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 1:23 pm

Admitted students- did your status update before your acceptance arrived?

Tommyboy233

Postby Tommyboy233 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 5:55 pm

Hey yall,

I probably should have joined this site a long time ago, but instead I've been benefitting from all the conversations, etc., and not contributing anything back. So, with that being said, I went to Tulane for undergrad, and it's looking more and more like I'll end up back there for law school this fall, so if I can answer any questions I'd be happy to.

Going back to Tulane was not at all what I expected originally, but I'm kinda looking forward to it now the more that I think about it. New Orleans is an awesome city, and my time at Tulane was (cliche I know) the best 4 years of my life. Unfortunately fyi I can't help anybody out with visits, etc, as I'm in Paris interning with the State Dept until May, but if you need a heads up on good hotels/bars/etc. let me know. I'm happy to provide any insight on what it has been like since Katrina, housing, crime, and anything else. Just let me know.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:05 pm

Tommyboy233 wrote:Going back to Tulane was not at all what I expected originally, but I'm kinda looking forward to it now the more that I think about it. New Orleans is an awesome city, and my time at Tulane was (cliche I know) the best 4 years of my life. Unfortunately fyi I can't help anybody out with visits, etc, as I'm in Paris interning with the State Dept until May, but if you need a heads up on good hotels/bars/etc. let me know. I'm happy to provide any insight on what it has been like since Katrina, housing, crime, and anything else. Just let me know.

Actually I'd love a heads up for some good bars near campus for when I visit! Also, State Department internship in Paris? That's awesome.. I wouldn't come back.

kelsey89

Postby kelsey89 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 6:41 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Tommyboy233 wrote:Going back to Tulane was not at all what I expected originally, but I'm kinda looking forward to it now the more that I think about it. New Orleans is an awesome city, and my time at Tulane was (cliche I know) the best 4 years of my life. Unfortunately fyi I can't help anybody out with visits, etc, as I'm in Paris interning with the State Dept until May, but if you need a heads up on good hotels/bars/etc. let me know. I'm happy to provide any insight on what it has been like since Katrina, housing, crime, and anything else. Just let me know.

Actually I'd love a heads up for some good bars near campus for when I visit! Also, State Department internship in Paris? That's awesome.. I wouldn't come back.

The Boot is right next to campus, and The Palms (also right next to campus) on friday night is 'flip night' where you order your drinks and the bartender flips a coin and if you call the right side, your drinks are free. There are also a ton of bars on St. Charles (Fat Harry's, Superior Grill, etc).

The reason Tulane closes for Mardi Gras is because the campus is on the parade route, and its pretty much a city-wide holiday.

rmjones03

Postby rmjones03 » Wed Mar 09, 2011 7:34 pm

pokerlaw wrote:
rmjones03 wrote:ACCEPTED!!!!!! :) YAY :D I will be at the April ASW, and down to hang out and meet some of you guys!! I am really excited about the acceptance, though without some financial help, it would be impossible for me to attend. How long did it take for you all to receive scholly info, or did it come with the acceptance? I received the acceptance last week, and emailed them this morning about scholarships. I hate to seem pushy, but I have other ASW's before Tulane, and need some info to properly compare the schools. Super Pumped though!!!!

And congrats to all!!!!

I believe scholly info comes with the acceptance.

Sad!
But for those of you who recently received your scholarships... could you post your numbers, PM works:) Thanks! I am still holding out some hope.....

samilabuena

Postby samilabuena » Wed Mar 09, 2011 11:14 pm

I got $24k/yr. #'s in my profile.

Tommyboy233

Postby Tommyboy233 » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:06 am

quote="ilovesf"]

Actually I'd love a heads up for some good bars near campus for when I visit! Also, State Department internship in Paris? That's awesome.. I wouldn't come back.[/quote]

The Boot is right next to campus, and The Palms (also right next to campus) on friday night is 'flip night' where you order your drinks and the bartender flips a coin and if you call the right side, your drinks are free. There are also a ton of bars on St. Charles (Fat Harry's, Superior Grill, etc).

The reason Tulane closes for Mardi Gras is because the campus is on the parade route, and its pretty much a city-wide holiday.[/quote]

This is pretty spot on. I actually was a bouncer at the Boot for about a year, and I also was the "cheese fry guy" at F&M's for a year and a half. You'll figure out what that means soon enough haha. Just so you're aware, though, that the Boot is typically filled with younger kids (freshmen and sophomores) looking to black out before 2 a.m., at which point they'll go to F&M's. If you're there on a Friday, definitely hit up Boot happy hour. I used to work that shift every Friday, and it's really pleasant to sit outside and have really cheap drinks with friends. Also, the Palms can be pretty shady. There are a lot of guido types that deal/do coke there (if that's your thing, that's cool...just not mine). I've only ever gone 5 or 6 times I think, and every time I left at 4 in the morning feeling like I had just come out of a black hole of a bar (i.e. not a good feeling). Fat Harry's and Superior Grill are both great, but they're about two miles down St. Charles. If you want a slightly older (law school) crowd, Bruno's on Maple St. off Broadway can be good, and there are several other bars in the very near vicinity. I could keep going, but there's no dearth of bars in New Orleans, so this would be a never-ending post.

Yeah the internship is great. I would highly recommend it if anyone ever gets a chance to do something similar. Looking at Maybe State/Intelligence/JAG type work in the future, and it gives you a huge advantage to have a security clearance from the internship. I would love to stay, but it's not paid, and my bank account is quickly dwindling.

I saw someone asked about numbers and scholarships. For me= 3.44/163, $20,000 a year. Softs were pretty good I guess, since I put myself through Tulane working at bars/work study, played rugby, served as my freshman dorm president, and was pretty involved on campus generally.

And yes, Mardi Gras in New Orleans is as awesome as you've all heard. You won't sleep much for a week (though it may be different for law students). Make sure you get a coconut at Zulu on Mardi Gras morning. That's the true sign that you've officially made it through Mardi Gras. I'm happy to take on any more questions.

Mr_Brightside

Postby Mr_Brightside » Thu Mar 10, 2011 5:50 pm

Does anybody know if Tulane has a deadline by which admissions decisions will be made? I know some schools say that all decisions will be made by x date.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”