Tulane 2011

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
CrimLaw300

Re: Tulane 2011

Postby CrimLaw300 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 4:18 pm

In with dean's scholarship for 30,000$ a year about a week ago.

WashingtonJew

Postby WashingtonJew » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:02 pm

Trying to figure out Tulane's timeline... Seems like if you applied in September/October you have already found out, but if you apply in November and later it could be anytime from now until March??

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:06 pm

WashingtonJew wrote:Trying to figure out Tulane's timeline... Seems like if you applied in September/October you have already found out, but if you apply in November and later it could be anytime from now until March??

Nope - I've been complete since around 10/21 and I haven't heard back.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:09 pm

ilovesf wrote:
WashingtonJew wrote:Trying to figure out Tulane's timeline... Seems like if you applied in September/October you have already found out, but if you apply in November and later it could be anytime from now until March??

Same. And I considered my #s at least somewhat competitive.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:17 pm

Barbie wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Me too. I'm at 25% for GPA and above 75% for LSAT. All the waiting is driving me crazy.

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 5:37 pm

Still nothing after my status date changing.... :(

newsjunkie

Postby newsjunkie » Mon Nov 29, 2010 7:32 pm

Hope all around :D ...

I got in last rotation with a 3.75/157 and some very strong softs (hope for the splitters). I deferred for the year due to business-related circumstances and I will be giving up my spot in this upcoming class within the next two days. More room!

Best of luck to everyone.

theavrock

Postby theavrock » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:11 pm

ilovesf wrote:
Barbie wrote:
ilovesf wrote:

Me too. I'm at 25% for GPA and above 75% for LSAT. All the waiting is driving me crazy.

Ditto. I've been complete since 10/1

25th for GPA and well above 75th for LSAT.

plt06

Postby plt06 » Mon Nov 29, 2010 9:41 pm

Ditto on not hearing yet and I've been complete with them since early October. Was WL last year despite having generous offers from some higher ranked schools.

mysoftsrock

Postby mysoftsrock » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:42 am

I have a request for any Tulane Students (UG or Law) or anyone who is from NO. My Fiancee and I are visiting Tulane soon, and it is by far my first choice, but she is not sold on the city yet. I want to avoid the drama of attending a school that she doesn't think she had a large say in choosing. Long story short, I need locals, or anyone that has any opinion at all to help me come up with things to do in the city in order to make it such that she wants to attend as much as I do. I will also need a hotel to stay in that has a TON of southern charm as we have been living in the north for school for quite some time, and I think once she gets used to the idea she will love the south.

Ok, got on a bit of a ramble, but yeah, please help come up with ideas, eateries, events, locales, hotels, or anything must see in NO.

ilovesf

Postby ilovesf » Tue Nov 30, 2010 7:21 am

mysoftsrock wrote:I have a request for any Tulane Students (UG or Law) or anyone who is from NO. My Fiancee and I are visiting Tulane soon, and it is by far my first choice, but she is not sold on the city yet. I want to avoid the drama of attending a school that she doesn't think she had a large say in choosing. Long story short, I need locals, or anyone that has any opinion at all to help me come up with things to do in the city in order to make it such that she wants to attend as much as I do. I will also need a hotel to stay in that has a TON of southern charm as we have been living in the north for school for quite some time, and I think once she gets used to the idea she will love the south.

Ok, got on a bit of a ramble, but yeah, please help come up with ideas, eateries, events, locales, hotels, or anything must see in NO.

I've only been to NO twice so I don't have great advice. I did go to this great brunch place though, I really liked it. And it's BYOB (amazing).
http://www.yelp.com/biz/coulis-new-orleans

I recommend the pulled pork eggs benedict.. yum!

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:00 pm

mysoftsrock wrote:I have a request for any Tulane Students (UG or Law) or anyone who is from NO. My Fiancee and I are visiting Tulane soon, and it is by far my first choice, but she is not sold on the city yet. I want to avoid the drama of attending a school that she doesn't think she had a large say in choosing. Long story short, I need locals, or anyone that has any opinion at all to help me come up with things to do in the city in order to make it such that she wants to attend as much as I do. I will also need a hotel to stay in that has a TON of southern charm as we have been living in the north for school for quite some time, and I think once she gets used to the idea she will love the south.

Ooooh oooh ooooh oooh!!

Well, you have to get po-boys. Parkway is my favorite place, but it's in Mid-City, so if you guys are downtown you should stop at Mother's. Check out the French Quarter-- there's a lot of great food that's too expensive for me, a student, to buy, and some cheaper food too (Fiorella's, Napoleon House). Try chowhound for some classy places, if you're looking for those. And get beignets at Cafe du Monde (of course)! If you guys head to Mid-City, DEFINITELY try Brocato's (old school gelato and pastries. delicious). If you guys are going out, check out Frenchman street, not Bourbon.

If y'all are looking at Tulane, though, you're gonna want to see more of uptown. Magazine street is a great place to start. There's a bunch of really cool shops and restaurants, and it's generally a hip, cool area. Dante's Kitchen is a great upscale near-campus restaurant, and Camellia Grill is a popular diner (with a southerny feel to it). I would probably recommend Jacques-Imos, though, for overall New Orleans feel, closeness to campus, and awesome food (alligator cheesecake ftw).

There's a lot of stuff to do in New Orleans, and a lot more to New Orleans than downtown/French Quarter. Coming here from the North is weird at first, but you definitely get used to it. It's a great place. Tulane's campus is nice but doesn't have too many food options beyond the LBC, the student centrer (lame), and it's actually a pretty small area. The law school is on campus, by the b-school, but the whole thing's pretty compact. All the law students I've talked to love it!

halito

Postby halito » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:17 pm

Definitely stop at Mother's if you are downtown. The servers are a little rough around the edges, but that's part of their charm and the food is great. If you are uptown you can take her to Surrey's for breakfast. They have some of the best shrimp and grits EVER. They are located on Magazine Street. Magazine Street (uptown) between Louisiana and 6th has a bunch of cute restaurants and stores.

If you are trying to impress her, I'd say try to remain in the Uptown/ University Area and take her to the French Quarter. I'd avoid some other areas until later. Uptown: You can take her to Audubon Park or the Zoo (right across St. Charles from Tulane). Make sure you take a ride on the street car that runs along St. Charles (charming). For dinner go to jacques-imo's uptown, but get there early because the wait can get long.

In the French Quarter, go stop by St. Louis Cathedral. Cafe du Monde is right across the street where they serve famous New Orleans beinegts. Yall can check out the aquarium or take a riverboat ride, or just walk through the french quarter and check out all of the little stores.

If you are into the bar scene you can stay uptown by tulane or go downtown if that is where you are staying. The monteleon hotel downtown has a really cute carousel bar that spins while you are sitting. If you are uptown you can check out St. Joe's on Magazine right across from the whole foods. They have really good blueberry mojitos and have a really chill/ mostly young professionals crowd. You can also go to the columns hotel uptown. They have a really nice bar with an old new orleans feel. A lot of people head there after work.

law_noob

Postby law_noob » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:19 pm

OMG, I'm so happy you mentioned the Alligator cheesecake! By far the best appetizer there. Also, Panola Cafe is a great breakfast place, I use to work there, but it closes at 2, so get there early.

Man I miss home....

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:39 pm

The Royal Sonesta Hotel in the French Corner might be a good place to check out. It's in the heart of Bourbon St.

jrmartin

Postby jrmartin » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:42 pm

Decision Status: Decision has been made.
Decision Status Date: 11/29/2010
Decision Letter: 11/29/2010

Doesn't sound good to me.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:43 pm

jrmartin wrote:Decision Status: Decision has been made.

I'm STILL file complete 10/13

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 12:56 pm

Barbie wrote:

This is just weird. Tulane isn't being consistent at all. :?

ran12

Postby ran12 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:00 pm

Magnifique1908 wrote:
Barbie wrote:

This is just weird. Tulane isn't being consistent at all. :?

I'm in the same boat and I applied really early. Also have pretty competitive numbers.

mcubberly

Postby mcubberly » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Complete 10/25, still waaaaiting.

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:01 pm

Same for having SOMEWHAT competitive #s lol. I thought I had a fair shot for sure. This is throwing me for a loop!

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:04 pm

Even the method for notifying people is constantly changing. Snail mail letters with only a "complete" date change, emails with no status update, status changing to "decision", etc. Smh...what gives?

Still trying to figure out what my update from 11/08 to 11/22 means.... :?

Barbie

Postby Barbie » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:58 pm

I called. The lady was really nice and said I'm simply just still being evaluated. She said to not be discouraged by this... hmmm

Magnifique1908

Postby Magnifique1908 » Tue Nov 30, 2010 1:59 pm

Barbie wrote:I called. The lady was really nice and said I'm simply just still being evaluated. She said to not be discouraged by this... hmmm

Hmmm. I want to know, but I'm afraid to call....call again and inquire about my LSAC #. :lol:

ioftendreamoftrains

Postby ioftendreamoftrains » Tue Nov 30, 2010 5:03 pm

mcubberly wrote:
Ooooh oooh ooooh oooh!!

Well, you have to get po-boys. Parkway is my favorite place, but it's in Mid-City, so if you guys are downtown you should stop at Mother's. Check out the French Quarter-- there's a lot of great food that's too expensive for me, a student, to buy, and some cheaper food too (Fiorella's, Napoleon House). Try chowhound for some classy places, if you're looking for those. And get beignets at Cafe du Monde (of course)! If you guys head to Mid-City, DEFINITELY try Brocato's (old school gelato and pastries. delicious). If you guys are going out, check out Frenchman street, not Bourbon.

Mid-City is actually the neighborhood that completely sold me on New Orleans. Lunch at Parkway or Mandina's and a snack of boiled crawfish from Kjean followed by dessert from Brocato's is my idea of heaven on earth. Closer to Tulane, I'd say that Casamento's is a must-do for lunch.

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”