Tulane 2011 Forum

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
AdlTX4

New

Re: Tulane 2011

Post by AdlTX4 » Thu Apr 21, 2011 10:46 pm

First day of my visit in the bag (I'll be here till Saturday). Toured the school and the building was pretty great. Can't really say anything bad about it so far.

creepa

New

Post by creepa » Fri Apr 22, 2011 3:09 pm

Wow! Just got accepted by email YESTERDAY...I really wasn't expecting to get accepted so I'm pretty excited! Looking at the other posts in this thread by people who were rejected or waitlisted I am really surprised that I was accepted.

164 LSAT
3.0 LSAC GPA
non-URM
Biochem major but other than that just an average applicant...no exciting extracurricular activities.

TheArtfulDodger

New

Post by TheArtfulDodger » Fri Apr 22, 2011 7:03 pm

creepa wrote:Wow! Just got accepted by email YESTERDAY...I really wasn't expecting to get accepted so I'm pretty excited! Looking at the other posts in this thread by people who were rejected or waitlisted I am really surprised that I was accepted.

164 LSAT
3.0 LSAC GPA
non-URM
Biochem major but other than that just an average applicant...no exciting extracurricular activities.

I guess it depends on the cycle when your application went under final review. At this point they have a lot of people withdrawing who applied to Tulane as a back up. I had a 3.1, 162, but I'm pretty sure that 2 point LSAT makes a much bigger difference than the .1 GPA.

It kind of makes me wish I had retaken it instead of getting the 162 and saying, you know what, good enough. When I took it, Tulane was my target school, and that's really about what I was shooting for. I'm from New Orleans and even took the LSAT at Tulane.

I loved Tulane, but Tulane didn't show any love back. Most schools, whether they admit it or not, show some level of preference to locals because it increases their standing in the community. Not Tulane. It is no wonder everyone here likes LSU so much

Before I got my rejection letter, everyone told me just go to LSU, even Tulane graduates. If you are from out of state and go to Tulane, local firms will not give you an internship because they think you want to leave state upon graduation. If you are from Louisiana and aren't in that well-connected group of Uptown blue bloods, then they'll think you are going to Tulane to be able to leave state as well. There aren't many jobs in LA that pay enough to pay off the debt incurred at Tulane, and you'll make better connections at LSU or Loyola.

I guess if you are from out of state and do not intend on practicing in Louisiana, then it doesn't matter as much.

twozeroseven

New

Post by twozeroseven » Sun Apr 24, 2011 11:55 am

In via canvas bag last week sometime. With scholarship not small enough to disregard, not big enough to make the decision easy. Already deposited at a much different school (although a peer rankings-wise). What now?

nyk4life

New

Post by nyk4life » Mon Apr 25, 2011 2:45 pm

Got the call off the waitlist today! Only 29 hours to decide is very daunting. But my guess is that if they gave people 1-2 weeks, I would still be on the waitlist. They seem to sift through the waitlist quickly. My LSAT is well below the 25%, but I guess my continued interest helped. Little afraid to pay sticker but it was my reach school and I really wanted its sports law program.

Big decision tomorrow by 5 p.m. I applied late in the cycle so my best options now are Nova and Pitt at sticker as well, so I'm leaning toward 3 years (and probably more) in NOLA.

Want to continue reading?

Register now to search topics and post comments!

Absolutely FREE!

Jameson86

New

Post by Jameson86 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 4:48 pm

TheArtfulDodger wrote:
creepa wrote:Wow! Just got accepted by email YESTERDAY...I really wasn't expecting to get accepted so I'm pretty excited! Looking at the other posts in this thread by people who were rejected or waitlisted I am really surprised that I was accepted.

164 LSAT
3.0 LSAC GPA
non-URM

I guess it depends on the cycle when your application went under final review. At this point they have a lot of people withdrawing who applied to Tulane as a back up. I had a 3.1, 162, but I'm pretty sure that 2 point LSAT makes a much bigger difference than the .1 GPA.

It kind of makes me wish I had retaken it instead of getting the 162 and saying, you know what, good enough. When I took it, Tulane was my target school, and that's really about what I was shooting for. I'm from New Orleans and even took the LSAT at Tulane.

I loved Tulane, but Tulane didn't show any love back. Most schools, whether they admit it or not, show some level of preference to locals because it increases their standing in the community. Not Tulane. It is no wonder everyone here likes LSU so much

Before I got my rejection letter, everyone told me just go to LSU, even Tulane graduates. If you are from out of state and go to Tulane, local firms will not give you an internship because they think you want to leave state upon graduation. If you are from Louisiana and aren't in that well-connected group of Uptown blue bloods, then they'll think you are going to Tulane to be able to leave state as well. There aren't many jobs in LA that pay enough to pay off the debt incurred at Tulane, and you'll make better connections at LSU or Loyola.

I guess if you are from out of state and do not intend on practicing in Louisiana, then it doesn't matter as much.
I'm really sorry that you didn't get into your target school. It totally sucks, but do you have any articles/links or anything to back up what you're saying?

I lived in New Orleans and worked in law prior to applying for law school and I experienced something completely different. Many Tulane Law alums are at top firms in New Orleans. An LSU graduate told me that it is hard to break into the New Orleans market if you didn't go to a New Orleans law school. Tulane kids also do just fine getting internships in the state.

I don't have an article to back any of this up, but I also wouldn't go around telling students this either because it's based on just a few friends' opinions.

Fabs5180

New

Post by Fabs5180 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:05 pm

Just got the acceptance email. Tulane was my number one (realistic) choice so I'll will probably be there in August.

Philosopher1

New

Post by Philosopher1 » Mon Apr 25, 2011 8:48 pm

TULANE folks .. should I just take advantage and hop from the Chicagoland area to NOLA and attend?? I'm excited about the acceptance but pondering Loyola University Chicago School of Law, etc. The situations would seemingly be worlds apart. Any thoughts? Congratz on all your acceptances. I'm absolutely pumped that I got in.

acn829

New

Post by acn829 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 5:01 pm

In yesterday via email!!! Packet is on its way in the mail, apparently with scholarship info. The amount will help me make a decision. But I am SOOOOOOOOOO excited.

Want to continue reading?

Register for access!

Did I mention it was FREE ?

gboyle138

New

Post by gboyle138 » Sun May 01, 2011 7:51 pm

How long were people waiting for a response? I've been complete for almost 2 months.

acn829

New

Post by acn829 » Sun May 01, 2011 8:54 pm

gboyle138 wrote:How long were people waiting for a response? I've been complete for almost 2 months.
I found out in 6 weeks

Brews_7

New

Post by Brews_7 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:03 pm

acn829 wrote:
gboyle138 wrote:How long were people waiting for a response? I've been complete for almost 2 months.
I found out in 6 weeks

I found out in 25 days or so.

gboyle138

New

Post by gboyle138 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:34 pm

Would it be acceptable for me to email them since seat deposits are fast approaching?

Register now!

Resources to assist law school applicants, students & graduates.

It's still FREE!

Brews_7

New

Post by Brews_7 » Sun May 01, 2011 10:46 pm

I don't see why it would be unacceptable.

gboyle138

New

Post by gboyle138 » Mon May 02, 2011 3:00 pm

I was told it takes about 8 weeks for those who apply after January 1.

cdb

New

Post by cdb » Tue May 03, 2011 7:35 pm

Hi everyone! I am so excited to be going to Tulane this fall! I was reading about housing and just wondering if people were going to be living alone or trying to find a roomate? I am debating what to do myself. Definitely need to start looking for a place, I will probably be heading back end of this month. Thanks!

AdlTX4

New

Post by AdlTX4 » Tue May 10, 2011 11:11 am

Although it would be nice, in terms of cost, to have a roommate, I think I will be living alone for at least the 1st year. Problem is, as far as I have seen so far (online), there aren't many great 1/1 apartments available at a decent price. I am hoping to get back to NO soon so that I can look at some things in person.

Get unlimited access to all forums and topics

Register now!

I'm pretty sure I told you it's FREE...

feewaiver

New

Post by feewaiver » Tue May 10, 2011 1:02 pm

Philosopher1

New

Post by Philosopher1 » Wed May 11, 2011 11:37 am

I've never been to New Orleans but will visit within the next few weeks. Can anyone name the most preferable places to live? A goal would be not high prices .. and within walking distance of Tulane Law School, if that's possible. Then I'll be able to have some places in mind when I head to Tulane for my visit. Excited about this opportunity

esoto88

New

Post by esoto88 » Wed May 11, 2011 6:33 pm

Does anyone know how open (or not) Tulane is to one-year deferments?

rivkah

New

Post by rivkah » Thu May 12, 2011 10:56 pm

So my GPA went up a decent amount for one semester, and I was wondering if I could use the improved numbers to ask for a scholarship. I wasn't given any at first, but now my numbers are 160, 3.408 -- do you think I could get anything? This school is just so expensive I'm having a hard time justifying dropping over $150k when I've been given other scholarships.. Thoughts??

Communicate now with those who not only know what a legal education is, but can offer you worthy advice and commentary as you complete the three most educational, yet challenging years of your law related post graduate life.

Register now, it's still FREE!

CinnamonRose

New

Post by CinnamonRose » Sat May 14, 2011 2:43 pm

I just got in off wait list and had better lsat and gpa than you. I got an offer and tried to negotiate higher and was told that they
1 - don't usually negotiate
2 - can't offer more
That being said, you don't lose by trying to get more and negotiation is part of being an attorney so why hesitate to practice that skill.

CinnamonRose

New

Post by CinnamonRose » Sat May 14, 2011 2:48 pm

And yes - PLEASE anyone - do you have recommendations on housing?
I have never been to New Orleans and wish to do a very focused search soon.

Safety is crucial.
Walkability to Tulane and anything preferred - I love to walk.
Prices is 3rd.
As an older non-trad, the bar scene/social scene won't matter to me at all.

rollgreenwave

New

Post by rollgreenwave » Tue May 17, 2011 1:37 pm

Is anyone else having problems with the welcome website? It isn't loading for me..

kelsey89

New

Post by kelsey89 » Mon May 23, 2011 1:36 pm

Paid my final seat deposit today...any suggestions on the FACES picture we're supposed to upload?

Seriously? What are you waiting for?

Now there's a charge.
Just kidding ... it's still FREE!

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”