Chapman 2011!

Share Your Experiences, Read About Other Experiences. Please keep posts organized by school and expected year of graduation.
total_loss

Re: Chapman 2011!

Postby total_loss » Sun Dec 19, 2010 7:30 pm

MrMisiu wrote:Congrats on admission to those who received it!

I was just curious what people thought of this idea: Chapman may offer less in schollys this cycle.
I didn't read it anywhere or anything, I was just thinking about it. Considering they've moved up to T2 this year is that a possibility? Last year while in T3 their median grant package was $28,760, maybe using it as incentive to get more "lucrative" students in. So, now that they're moving up in the charts do you think there's any "merit" :wink: to the notion?

Chapman Law School is well-funded, and the administration wants the law school to continue to climb in the rankings. Part of that climb involves increasing each incoming class' GPA and LSAT scores year-to-year. My guess is that the median grant package for this cycle will closely mirror last year's cycle with the scholarship packages being offered to prospective students with slightly higher GPA and LSAT scores than last year.

twert

Postby twert » Sun Dec 19, 2010 10:41 pm

I was just curious what people thought of this idea: Chapman may offer less in schollys this cycle.
I didn't read it anywhere or anything, I was just thinking about it. Considering they've moved up to T2 this year is that a possibility? Last year while in T3 their median grant package was $28,760, maybe using it as incentive to get more "lucrative" students in. So, now that they're moving up in the charts do you think there's any "merit" :wink: to the notion?

one of the deans told me that he expects the university to stop treating the law school as a priority because of other graduate programs the university is working on. He did not, however, think that would happen this year.

samfii

Postby samfii » Tue Dec 21, 2010 3:16 pm

twert wrote:

one of the deans told me that he expects the university to stop treating the law school as a priority because of other graduate programs the university is working on. He did not, however, think that would happen this year.

twert, as a current student, do you think it's terribly difficult to stay in the top 1/3rd of the class (3.0 gpa)? I find the GPA contingencies on my scholarship a little concerning. I'm a good student, but I have no clue how I'll fair in law school and would be mortified to have to suddenly pay full price at chapman while I have opportunities like a small scholly (10k) at a school like UIUC. Could you speak on that?

twert

Postby twert » Tue Dec 21, 2010 5:36 pm

samfii wrote:
twert wrote:

twert, as a current student, do you think it's terribly difficult to stay in the top 1/3rd of the class (3.0 gpa)? I find the GPA contingencies on my scholarship a little concerning. I'm a good student, but I have no clue how I'll fair in law school and would be mortified to have to suddenly pay full price at chapman while I have opportunities like a small scholly (10k) at a school like UIUC. Could you speak on that?

i'm a 1L. i'll let you know how hard it is to make a 3.0 is a few weeks when grades come out. :D

I think career services spouts some number like 65% keep their scholly's. Is it comforting that more than half keep their money, or is it concerning that more than a third lose theirs? I don't know.

Honestly, UIUC is a good school, and with 10% scholarship, if you want to practice in the midwest, i wouldn't pass that up for chapman.

samfii

Postby samfii » Tue Dec 21, 2010 10:40 pm

twert wrote:
samfii wrote:
twert wrote:

i'm a 1L. i'll let you know how hard it is to make a 3.0 is a few weeks when grades come out. :D

I think career services spouts some number like 65% keep their scholly's. Is it comforting that more than half keep their money, or is it concerning that more than a third lose theirs? I don't know.

Honestly, UIUC is a good school, and with 10% scholarship, if you want to practice in the midwest, i wouldn't pass that up for chapman.

Well thats the thing, I don't want to practice in the Midwest, I definitely want to stay in SoCal, preferably in LA... Im really torn :(

twert

Postby twert » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:08 pm

if you want socal, and ucla or usc aren't options, chapman full ride may be the way to go.

samfii

Postby samfii » Wed Dec 22, 2010 1:54 am

Well thanks for the input.. And good luck to everyone waiting on chapman!

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:01 pm

samfii wrote:
twert wrote:

If you don't mind me asking, Samfii, were you notified of your scholarship at Chapman when they sent you your acceptance letter? I found out about my admission via status checker (since I'm at home for break), and won't be able to get my mail until after the New Year. I'm just a little anxious :)

samfii

Postby samfii » Wed Dec 22, 2010 8:29 pm

conroyc wrote:
samfii wrote:
If you don't mind me asking, Samfii, were you notified of your scholarship at Chapman when they sent you your acceptance letter? I found out about my admission via status checker (since I'm at home for break), and won't be able to get my mail until after the New Year. I'm just a little anxious :)

I was notified of the scholarship in the acceptance letter... When I saw the status checker change I called and tried to see If they'd maybe tell me over the phone but the lady at admissions said they couldn't :-/ but she was super sweet though. Don't fret I'm sure you did fine scholarship-wise, you can PM me If you want more details!

thelibear

Postby thelibear » Wed Dec 22, 2010 9:58 pm

Checked my status and also in at Chapman!! Still waiting on the actual letter in the mail. I am hoping to get a scholarship, my numbers are 3.65 & 162, do you think I have a shot? It's really close to home for me and a very serious first choice.

twert

Postby twert » Wed Dec 22, 2010 10:48 pm

thelibear wrote:Checked my status and also in at Chapman!! Still waiting on the actual letter in the mail. I am hoping to get a scholarship, my numbers are 3.65 & 162, do you think I have a shot? It's really close to home for me and a very serious first choice.

you'll get a nice scholarship with those numbers. Pretty much everyone gets a scholarship.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Fri Dec 31, 2010 3:24 am

Just got home to check my mail, and got the notification of a 100% scholarship. I have to say that Chapman is looking like a top contender for me right now, because price is definitely my #1 concern. However, the GPA requirement is a little unsettling... :?:

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:14 pm

conroyc wrote:Just got home to check my mail, and got the notification of a 100% scholarship. I have to say that Chapman is looking like a top contender for me right now, because price is definitely my #1 concern. However, the GPA requirement is a little unsettling... :?:

Congrats! Do you mind sharing your stats and postmark of the acceptance?

JOE!

Postby JOE! » Fri Dec 31, 2010 1:16 pm

conroyc wrote:Just got home to check my mail, and got the notification of a 100% scholarship. I have to say that Chapman is looking like a top contender for me right now, because price is definitely my #1 concern. However, the GPA requirement is a little unsettling... :?:

While I do know a couple of people who have lost scholarships, I don't believe any were 100%... but I could be wrong. I know that I was in your position when coming in, and decided that I reaaally didn't want to take on any more debt than necessary, Chapman was a good fit, and if I lost my scholarship I'd choose a new career path - I'm not saying everyone should drop out if they lose their scholarship (one of my friends lost his scholarship but is now in the top 20%, aiming for 15%). Meeting the 3.0 requirement is stressful first semester, but if you got offered a 100% scholarship, you'll pretty likely be fine.

EDIT: And congratulations!

thelibear

Postby thelibear » Sat Jan 01, 2011 3:30 pm

I'm STILL waiting on my Chapman letter!! I got accepted on 12/21 via status checker, but still no letter. I literally live 20 minutes from Orange, so I'm kind of confused...I'm thinking it is either holiday mail being slow, or maybe they accepted me but haven't sent the letter yet because that was their last day in the office.

I'm just impatient, I guess.

twert

Postby twert » Sat Jan 01, 2011 4:08 pm

thelibear wrote:I'm STILL waiting on my Chapman letter!! I got accepted on 12/21 via status checker, but still no letter. I literally live 20 minutes from Orange, so I'm kind of confused...I'm thinking it is either holiday mail being slow, or maybe they accepted me but haven't sent the letter yet because that was their last day in the office.

I'm just impatient, I guess.

the closed for the holiday on the twenty second i think. they'll be open on monday. your letter will probably go out then. good luck on the scholly info.

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Sun Jan 02, 2011 1:01 am

sanjola wrote:

Thank you! 162 and 3.8 here... and I'm not sure of the exact postmark date, but it was right before they closed for the holidays.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Sun Jan 02, 2011 7:30 am

conroyc wrote:
sanjola wrote:

Thank you! 162 and 3.8 here... and I'm not sure of the exact postmark date, but it was right before they closed for the holidays.

Thank you! I only asked because I applied in September and have been stressfully waiting since. You're numbers are great, so I understand the quick response for you.

Is Chapman your top choice?

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Tue Jan 04, 2011 1:01 am

sanjola wrote:
conroyc wrote:
sanjola wrote:

Thank you! I only asked because I applied in September and have been stressfully waiting since. You're numbers are great, so I understand the quick response for you.

Is Chapman your top choice?

I feel for you... the waiting is really the toughest part of applying :/ but good luck to you I'm sure that you will do great!
Right now UCI is my top choice, but Chapman is a close second with the scholarship money they are offering. I just really can't see myself financing a law degree in this uncertain economy, despite what anyone says about how it's okay to pay sticker price for T1 schools. Plus I want to stay in the So Cal area for law school and to practice law afterwards, so Chapman may be the best choice for me. Is Chapman your top choice?

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Tue Jan 04, 2011 2:10 am

conroyc wrote:I feel for you... the waiting is really the toughest part of applying :/ but good luck to you I'm sure that you will do great!
Right now UCI is my top choice, but Chapman is a close second with the scholarship money they are offering. I just really can't see myself financing a law degree in this uncertain economy, despite what anyone says about how it's okay to pay sticker price for T1 schools. Plus I want to stay in the So Cal area for law school and to practice law afterwards, so Chapman may be the best choice for me. Is Chapman your top choice?

Thanks for the encouragement! Chapman and Southwestern are my top two choices. I am planning on moving to and living in SoCal too, so either one would be ideal. Good luck with everything! :)

thelibear

Postby thelibear » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:34 am

got my letter today, with 100% scholarship!

conroyc

Postby conroyc » Wed Jan 05, 2011 4:42 am

thelibear wrote:got my letter today, with 100% scholarship!

Congratulations!! We are almost number twins!! :) Are you seriously considering Chapman?

longhornlaw

Postby longhornlaw » Wed Jan 05, 2011 10:48 am

Last edited by longhornlaw on Thu Feb 27, 2014 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

sanjola

Postby sanjola » Wed Jan 05, 2011 11:05 am

thelibear wrote:got my letter today, with 100% scholarship!

Congratulations! That's awesome.

thelibear

Postby thelibear » Wed Jan 05, 2011 2:56 pm

Thanks everybody! :) It is tied for first choice with UCI. If I get into UCI (which is a big if, they're so competitive and I'm not sure I am a strong enough applicant numbers-wise), I will have to do some serious thinking about which I choose. But, otherwise, definitely Chapman. It's close to home (I'm only 20 minutes away), and they have such an awesome program. My reach schools (usc, ucla) will probably not happen, and even if they did, I'm not sure I'd go -- probably not a wise decision on my part, but I really hate Los Angeles and I want to stay in Orange County.

@conroyc - are you also seriously considering chapman? :) how has your cycle been going?

Return to “Law School Acceptances, Denials, and Waitlists”